PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point Empire

Caligula
12-03-2007, 03:19
Greetings again, everyone. This is the first time I've ever attempted to create an Empire army, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some glaring errors in what I've done. However, at the moment and in my state of near ignorance concerning these chaps, I don't think it's a horrible list....anyway, have a gander.

Captain-
Lance
Full Plate Armour
Shield
Warhorse
Barding
@78pts.

Warrior Priest-
Two-handed Hammer
Heavy Armour
@98pts.

20 Swordsmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Duellist
@145pts.

Detachment I-
10 Halberdiers
@50pts.

Detachment II-
10 Crossbowmen
@80pts.

24 Halberdiers-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sergeant
@140pts.

Detachment I-
8 Handgunners
@64pts.

5 Knights-
Standard Bearer
First Knight
@147pts.

5 Pistoliers-
Musician
@97pts.

Great Cannon
@100pts.

TOTAL-999pts.

So there we have it, my first go at the Empire. Please let me know what you think of it, what could be better, what works, what doesn't...the whole deal. Thanks.

RavenBloodwind
12-03-2007, 03:31
A very solid first go.

I'd be inclined to make the handgunners a detachment of the halbard unit so they don't cause panic when the flee, but also for the supporting fire. You'll have to take the halbards up to 20 to keep 10.

I'd suggest dropping the musician on your knight unit to find the points. I imagine your captain will be accompanying these lads and between his attacks and the unit, plus a banner, if it comes down to the musician winning you combat, your dice have abandoned you.

Don't expect your WP to get many prayers off as you have no other 'magic' to be blocked, but his hatred will bolster a unit nicely. His extra dispel die will help and in 1000pts I doubt you'll face an insane amount of magic. If someone sinks enough points into going magic 'heavy' at 1k you should be able to mop them up with your list.

blahblahblah
12-03-2007, 03:46
I agree that you should turn the handgunners into a detachment for the halberdiers (maybe 2 det. of 5...) since you're not using the unit to field a hochland long rifle (though it could be handy for sniping lvl 1 or 2 mages since you're a litle outmatched in that regard).

Caligula
12-03-2007, 04:15
Great, thanks for the widsom guys! Hmmm....okay, I've got a few changes to make then, haven't I? Hey, I'm pleased to see it's not a bad list anyway though!

I think you're both right about the Handgunners, and I'll look into making the changes involving them...I'll just have to work out how I'm going to make the Halberdiers unit a little bigger, I suppose. On the other hand, I could keep the Halberd unit the size it is, and just drop the Handgunners by a couple of model, say to about 8. That might work out pretty well...

You're right, the musician in the Knights unit is probably a little useless, and I'm sure those points could be put to better use somewhere...

Okay then, I'm off the make some changes, and I'll update the list shortly. Thanks again!

Caligula
12-03-2007, 04:27
There we go, the list has been updated. I removed the musician from the Knights, and removed 2 Handgunners from the unit of 10. I then added another 5 Halberdiers to the unit, and made the unit of Handgunners(now 8) a detachment for them.

Those few changes seem to make the list a lot more solid in my eyes...what do you think?

RavenBloodwind
12-03-2007, 17:01
Started solidly, now even better.

One issue to bear in mind is that you are committed to a static battle line if you make full use of your missile detachments. Both x-bows and handguns are move-OR-fire. This really shouldn't be a big problem for you but make sure you don't allow your main units to get too far in front of their missile detachments.

I think your biggest challenge will be making sure you address any magic from your enemy expeditiously. Your knight unit can likely hammer any unit hiding a mage and at least kill the mage even if they're later forced to flee.

Let us know how well you fare.

Caligula
12-03-2007, 18:42
Great, thanks very much for the kind words. I will indeed keep you all updated on how this army fares, and possibly even have a project log for it as I build and paint it, in the M,P&T forums...so keep an eye out for that.

You're quite right, Raven...magic could possibly be my biggest threat..and a magic-heavy army at the 1000 points level could possbily give me a hard time. Even still, I don't think it would be a complete walk in the park for said magic heavy player....to me, this army still looks tough and has a lot of bodies to work with...not to mention to fairly hard hitters. So either way, I think things will go fairly well.

Thanks again, and keep an eye out for future news of this army as it grows. Not to worry, in a lvl 2 Battle Mage is the first thing I plan on adding to the next 500 points of this army;)

RavenBloodwind
12-03-2007, 19:14
I think you're right not to be overly worried about magic at this point range. If your opponent sinks enough points in characters to hurt you he won't have much in the way of troops to slow you down.

blahblahblah
13-03-2007, 00:21
I lie the revised list, it should do really well out there against all comers (with the possible exception of a mage heavy undead force always raising new troops). I look forward to hearing how it does. Good luck ! :)

Caligula
13-03-2007, 00:56
Great, thanks to both of you for the words of encouragment! I'm insanely pleased to see my army list is looking good, and I'm going to begin putting it together and painting it up very soon...probably the first bit of it will be purchased tomorrow. I think I'm going to attack it unit by unit, buying it, putting it together, painting it, and totally finishing it before moving onto the next...I'm thinking that way, I'll be able to actually end up with a finished force and keep my motivation up. My goal is to have this 1000 point core force completely done and tabletop worthy by May. After that, I'll add the next 500 points, finish it up, then move onto the next 500 points...ending up with a 2000 point army then. So, if all goes according to plan, at some point in June, I should have a 2000 point army, fully ready and perpared to participate in the summer campaign. Of course...that also depends on when those nice looking new Empire plastic kits come out...I'm sure they'll come out in time for the campaign anyway, or at least I would imagine. Anyway, I've got enough to occupy me for the time being, I'd say...

Now, not to get ahead of myself, but just to have an idea of what's ahead, what do you folks suggest adding for the next 500 points? So far, I'm thinking of adding a Battle Wizard(definately!), adding some more numbers to my infantry blocks, adding two more models to the Handgunners detachment, adding another detachment of Swordsmen or Free Company to the Halberdiers, and adding some more models to my Knights unit...maybe 4. Thoughts on that? What else would you suggest?

blahblahblah
14-03-2007, 00:48
I'd definitely go with a lvl 2 mage, I'd also probably get another artillery piece, maybe a mortar or hellblaster(or both and listen to your opponent complain :D), 2 hand gunners for the detachment, 10 free company for halberdier det. maybe add a few more guys to your main units so they can take a few hits before losing rank bonus and I think all that still leaves you with 150 to 200 points to play withif you want to boost your knights, maybe add a musician...(I love how much stuff you can get for 500 points in empire..:D)