PDA

View Full Version : Spyrers Help?

Linkusmax
12-03-2007, 09:28
I'm looking at starting a small Necromunda gang (i.e. I dont want to have to buy too many models. Now I wanted to start Spyrers and use mecha style models to represent them (I was thinking various Tau suits would suit well).

Can I get help designing a starting gang and decideing what minis to use for each of the Spyrer types?

Cheers
Rhys

Catferret
12-03-2007, 15:22
There are a few approaches to Spyrer Gangs.

1. Take the minimum 3 models and buy them loads of xp. This will give you a small, elite group with useful skills to kill your opponents while hopefully surviving.

2. Take 5 of the same type of Spyrer. Pick your favorite and max out on it. This will give you a gang that conforms perfectly to your style of play but may end up being boring.

3. Take 5 Spyrers, with at least one of each. This will give you a lot of flexibility as well as model variation. However it may turn out to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

Each approach has merits and flaws. You will have to decide by playing lots of one off games to decide how you want to play the gang. I would recommend starting with the mixture of Spyrers. It will be more fun, more varied model wise and allow you to adapt better to your opponents.

You will have a tough time converting models and keeping the cost down. Maybe try mixing Fire Warrior and Eldar Guardian plastics for the bulk of the models and add on bits and pieces from your bits box. Metal Dark Eldar Scourge wings should work for the Yeld. Plastic Space marine bits should work for an Orrus. Use the respirator head rather than a full helmet though. If you are using Eldar bits, then a female Guardian body with the Storm guardian metal arms and a plastic shield make a good Jakara. The Malcadon will be best with Dark Eldar plastics. Get 4 of the knives and mount 2 on the back of each hand. Add lots of the random spikes to it as well.

Hope all that is of some use. :)

Boss_Salvage
12-03-2007, 18:01
When I get around to it (i.e. can find the models), I'm going with Catferret's #2. Plan is to do 5 Jakara, largely for mirror shield fun (i.e. failing my saves and getting hit in the face :(). But now that CF mentions it, #1 could be cool and even cheaper! Would let me go really crazy if I only took, say, 3 orrus ...

Model-wise, I think spyrer teams are a place to shine with 'counts as' models from other companies. There are an enormous number of good, unique and exciting sci-fi models out there, especially cyborg stuff in the vein of Necro. Personally, I've been trying to get some VOID Vasa Black Legionnaires to use as a Jakara team, but now I might being the search for three big meaty orrus. I'm thinking maybe use those hasslefree cyber-zombies at last?? :evilgrin:

- Salvage

Palatine Katinka
12-03-2007, 21:27
I went for 5 Yeld, each starting with one skill. Spyrers have their own table for when they get advances (6, 16, 31) so it is difficult to start with more than two skills on each model even in a 3-man gang. With less models death will hurt all the more but, on the other hand, take your first vow as play-two-games-per-starting-member and you'll be able to replace the dead/crippled after only 6 games.

When it comes to cheap models, don't do what I did! Yeld based on Callidus Assassins and Jakara bodies with heads from Escher would have been expensive if I didn't have some of the parts spare. Catferret's suggestion of starting with $)k plastic kits is prob'ly the way forward.

Darkhorse
12-03-2007, 23:25
My own take is 4 Malcadon and 2 Yeld. I think this is the largest Spyrer group you can get.

Gen_eV
13-03-2007, 05:08
Indeed it is, you can't get more than six. As sson as I figure out how to model some converted Malcadons, I may be trying a six-man team myself. Always been something I wanted to try, that...

Linkusmax
13-03-2007, 06:15
Im thinking Stealth Suits as a base with a few simple conversions would work well for the Malcadon and Jakara (shield on the Jakara). Maybe Pathfinders as Yelds and just cause I can a XV8 battle suit for the Orrus.

Tomothy
13-03-2007, 13:12
I'd definitely take at least one jakara. They were the toughest spyrers my friend had when he played them.

He went 2 yeld, 2 jakara and 1 malcadon. The 2 yeld died and the malcadon rarely managed to achieve anything.

JMMelo
13-03-2007, 15:25
Personally, I've been trying to get some VOID Vasa Black Legionnaires to use as a Jakara team, but now I might being the search for three big meaty orrus.
- Salvage

If you are still interested, I think I have 6-8 Black legionaries at home that I dont use (damn impulse buy). Also, for Orruses I would use these guys:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/bb/03/7d_1.JPG

http://i16.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/b6/4d/15_1.JPG

Void Assault Androsinths - You get them VERY cheap on ebay

nightgant98c
14-03-2007, 03:38
I've had the best luck with Jakaras (they can be just plain sick after a couple advances), and Orruses. My Yelds tend to die, and my Malcadons don't do much of anything.

Hicks
14-03-2007, 17:30
I also just started with Spyrers. In my team I have 2x Malcadons, a Yeld, a Jakara and an Orrus. I personally use the regular minis, but you could easily model all of them except the Orrus from plastic Eldars and fitting weapons.

Personally, I find that my 2 Malcadons are insane. They move so fast they can really hope to attack the opponent from behind. That's really important, especially if your fighting a gang like by friend's. Basically, he gets two heavy bolters has high as he can and puts them on overwatch everyturn. Also, all of his ganger have hand flammers, so if I get too near with a Jakara, he justs put's them on overwatch and I can't charge him.

Noserenda
15-03-2007, 20:41
Id favour 3 jakara, lightning fast insanely dangerous in hth and decent against shooting cant really fail you. The advances make em hard and cheap in cash. I converted mine out of Howling banshees with escher heads and shields made from gubbins i had lying around.

I did use Yelds, but never really got much out of them :chrome: but then i might just be rubbish :D

Boss_Salvage
16-03-2007, 13:45
I converted mine out of Howling banshees with escher heads and shields made from gubbins i had lying around

Nice, that was my original idea for my Jakara. Might still go that route, I just wasn't thrilled about having to grind the banshees' heads down to accomodate headswapping ... call me lazy if you must :P

On the Black Legionnaires, I actually am still looking for them, if they're the newer models. If you're actually in Brazil though, I dunno, that's a lot of shipping to pay O_O

- Salvage

JMMelo
16-03-2007, 17:49
The shipping for a few miniatures is not usuallly much, if I ship in a padded envelope... 8-10 dollars tops... but my miniatures are older black legion minis... the ones with spear-like weapons