PDA

View Full Version : Waveserpent turret

Griffin
12-03-2007, 11:52
Right - I have 2 new wave serpents that I'm building but I want to glue the turrets on so that they can't swivel, because turning turrets usually start drooping after a while. Now in regards to line of sight - If my turrets were unable to turn yet I wished to fire in the opposit direction of them pointing - would you guys allow it ? Allso how anal would you guys be about me wanting to fire them in the opposite direction of them turning ?

The reason I ask is I use my models as display pieces as well - And I want to glue the turrets pointing off to one side, but I don't want them to be able to turn (or come off at all - I have young uns in the house). Would you guys be strict about line of sight ?

xibo
12-03-2007, 11:57
Um, a hullmounted weapon has a 45 degrees fire zone to the left and right.
It's unacceptable that a serpent/falcon/prism tank doesn't have a turret. Blame GW.

Sai-Lauren
12-03-2007, 12:04
Um, a hullmounted weapon has a 45 degrees fire zone to the left and right.
It's unacceptable that a serpent/falcon/prism tank doesn't have a turret. Blame GW.
:confused:

Um, they do have turrets, they're the extra bits that sit on on top of the transport cabin with the weapons either side of it.

I usually glue them in place myself, so I wouldn't have a problem with it.

chromedog
12-03-2007, 12:06
I would let you field it. A turret has a 360 arc of fire. Wave serpents have a turreted main weapon (regardless of whether or not the turret (physically)swivels), ergo the gun can have LOS to targets behind it. It only requires a little more imagination - and since you're playing space elves, you'll have that in spades... (I also play eldar, but I'm not exactly 'religious' about RaW, either.). If the rule makes no sense, we house-rule it and move on.

xibo
12-03-2007, 12:06
Jup, I know the models have them. I meant that it's unacceptable that those turrets aren't turrets ruleswise.

Griffin
12-03-2007, 12:26
OK - cool - now I can finish them at last...

Elvani
12-03-2007, 12:33
If somebody wouldn't allow you to let it fire 360, they are definately a lawyer, Turrets can shoot around them, other wise the falcon would only be able to shoot forward or whichever way you turned and glued the turret

Galley
12-03-2007, 12:44
If somebody wouldn't allow you to let it fire 360, they are definately a lawyer, Turrets can shoot around them, other wise the falcon would only be able to shoot forward or whichever way you turned and glued the turret

QFT.

I'm a noobie, but I can smell an unreasonable request still. Swiviling turrets seems much more of a poseable issue than an actual gameplay issue.

CyberShadow
12-03-2007, 13:47
Would people really be against allowing a turreted weapon to fire even if the actual turret was static? That would be like saying that Land Speeders are not really skimmer vehicles because they are not actually floating above the table! :confused:

Ironhand
12-03-2007, 14:20
I'd have no problem with it. It's a turret, period, whether the modeler has chosen to allow it to swivel or not.

Kymar
12-03-2007, 14:21
Unless this turns into a debate about if the Wave Serpent has or has not turrets ruleswise, I'd say its pretty clear that its okay if you glue the turret in place. Because you are suppose to measure range from the body of the vehicle, the position of the model's turret0 doesn't matter, turning it is just for fun.

Now for something like a Leamen Russ tank, you could also glue its turret solid, but you would have to remember which of its weapons are hull mounted, sponson or turret for LoS purposes.

Onisuzume
12-03-2007, 14:24
Would people really be against allowing a turreted weapon to fire even if the actual turret was static? That would be like saying that Land Speeders are not really skimmer vehicles because they are not actually floating above the table! :confused:
Nice way to relate things. All I need to do know is somehow put a anti-grav generator in my land speeder 'cuz otherwise the guys will whine about it. :p

And besides, it's a game. A turret has a 360 degree fire arc. And would it be more fun if someone wouldn't allow that simply on basis that the turret can't be turned appropiatly?
Oh yeah, it would be realistic if it could. But we're talking about a space elf tank here. >_> How realistic is a space elf tank anyways?

I doubt anyone would not allow it. Kinda like sponson weapons, which are occationally also glued. As are hull weapons...

etham
12-03-2007, 16:21
I doubt anyone would not allow it. Kinda like sponson weapons, which are occationally also glued. As are hull weapons...

as are the hatches on most people's rhinos and land raiders, as are the handlebars on the bikes, as are the arms and heads on the minis.

If they freak on you don't play with them because they don't deserve to play with the rest of us socially adjusted people.

Bregalad
12-03-2007, 17:14
Allso how anal would you guys be about me wanting to fire them in the opposite direction of them turning ?

Those things are never a problem if you ask kindly. :angel:

Griffin
12-03-2007, 17:47
You'd surprised what people argue about.

Baneboss
12-03-2007, 18:02
Glue them as you want. All sponsons for example can fire 180* but Leman Russ official model sponsons could be fired only in 90* arc if you look at the tank. If rules allow it nobody should say anything.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
12-03-2007, 18:47
this really is GWs fault: fire arcs (even just where the weapons are mounted!) should be noted in the codex. :mad:

~ Tim

The Song of Spears
12-03-2007, 18:50
this really is GWs fault: fire arcs (even just where the weapons are mounted!) should be noted in the codex. :mad:

~ Tim

So should vehicle 'sides'. Because the 'sides' and 'rear' of a Wave Serpent are a bit fuzzy.

A fun little blue print schematic in each codex of a vehicles details would be nice :)

Wraithbored
12-03-2007, 19:36
If someone doesn't let you fire your glued turrets to the rear use the 40k rulebook on them, there's a reason that it's hardcover.

Griffin
13-03-2007, 07:10
I love that Expression - use the rulebook on them, indeed.

The Dude
13-03-2007, 07:15
That would be like saying that Land Speeders are not really skimmer vehicles because they are not actually floating above the table! :confused:

What do you mean I hit on a 6+? My Genestealers can just climb up that perspex pole there :mad: :p