PDA

View Full Version : How to start?

Mozzamanx
12-03-2007, 17:01
Some time within the week, im getting a start on AI. I plan to get the rulebook as well as start up a fleet (probably tau, maybe chaos as well) but as I dont have the rules yet, I have no idea what to buy.

So, what do I need to get for a legal force? Also, what would be a good start up force? I have around 35-45 to spend as well as 35 for the book itself.

Thanks in advance

HiveFleetJomama
12-03-2007, 18:54
There's a thread currently at the bottom of page 2 that covers the Tau. Here's the link: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67792

I actually just put in an order for Tau myself. The consensus seems to be:

2-4 Barracudas
2 Tigersharks
1 Orca

You can get 2 packs of Barracudas and a pack of Tiger Sharks or AX-1-0s for 34. An even 50 will get you an Orca too.

I went overboard and ordered 2 packs of Barracudas, a pack of AX-1-0s, an Orca, and a pack of Skyrays, plus the rulebook.

Mozzamanx
12-03-2007, 20:47
Mkay, thanks for the advice. Which tends to be better for a small force- Tiger sharks or the A-X-1-0?

Nemoyo
13-03-2007, 00:49
Well the AX 1-0 Hits harder in ground attack or armed with it's air to air capable seeker missile option becomes quite nasty air to air too. However the standard Tigershark has jump troops. It depends if you want additional transport capacity over the single Orca or long range hitting power :)

xibo
13-03-2007, 01:20
Hmm I'm wanting to start AI too, Imperial Navy... I wonder if a list without thunderbolts is thinkable, as I'm not all that convinced of the model.
Also, are Marauders a must, or can two Vultures or even Valkyries get the same job done as a single Marauder ( like in 40K:Imperial Armour where two Vultures are even better most times than a single marauder )?

greenmtvince
13-03-2007, 02:19
One Marauder for 2 points less than an armed vulture can do high altitude S12 bombing runs AND have 2 more hit points. I think it's better for the ground attack role in missions where bombers are allowed.

EDIT, had to correct my points costs

Mozzamanx
13-03-2007, 08:31
Hmm, how bout 2 A-X-1-0s for long range fire support, 4 barracudas to rip anything up close and an Orca for transport?

Also, what does transport actually do in AI?

fattdex
13-03-2007, 09:50
Certain missions require one side to drop off troops as a mission objective for victory points, things like that. The more types of craft you have at your disposal, the more mission types you will be able to play and you will have more tactical options when you go to pick a force for a particular mission (it wouldn't hurt to have some skyrays too, for missions where you have to defend ground objectives, as an option to you).

Mozzamanx
13-03-2007, 18:41
Ok everyone, thanks for the advice. I have just ordered the following from forge world:
-4 Barracudas
-2 AX-1-0s
-Rulebook
Will this be enough for starting games with my local club?

Including costs for delivery etc., came in at 77 =O
My wallet hurts...

Spacker
13-03-2007, 20:36
That gives you no transport options - unless you proxy the AX-1-0s as normal Tiger sharks in games where you need a transport option.

Obviously if nobody else has any aircraft then you'll be playing games of 2 Barracudas + 1 AX-1-0 each.

Oh, if you want to know what really hurts a wallet, you should see my FW purchase history ... :eek:

Mozzamanx
13-03-2007, 22:34
Well, next order in a month or 2 will be an Orca, 2 Tiger Sharks and 2 more Barracudas to even that out.

And besides spacker, AIs only been out a few months, how bad could it be.... ;)

Tyra_Nid
14-03-2007, 00:00
And besides spacker, AIs only been out a few months, how bad could it be.... ;)

For spacker? Very bad :p

Mine isnt as bad as his, but its getting there (wouldnt be so high if I hadnt got a blasted speeding ticket... 215AUD down the drain... think of all the toy planes that could have got me!)

marv335
14-03-2007, 00:10
my shopping list so far has been
4 thunderbolts
2 lightning attack
2 lightning strike
1 marauder bomber
1 marauder destroyer
3 hydra platforms
3 heavy flak platforms
4 ork fightas
2 ork fighta-bommas
1 rule book
1 manouvre cards.
and that doesn't count the DKoK stuff i've got in hand at the moment

Spacker
14-03-2007, 00:34
marv, you are but a beginner at this FW ordering ;) . Here's my current list of AI stuff:

Imp Navy:
4 Thunderbolts
2 Lightning Strikes
2 Marauder Destroyers
2 Valkyries
3 Hydra Platforms
3 Manticore Platforms
3 Heavy Flak Guns

Tau:
4 Barracudas
2 Tiger Sharks
2 Tau Tiger Shark AX-1-0s
3 Skyrays
1 Manta

Eldar:
2 Nightwings
4 Phoenix
2 Vampire Raiders

Rulebook
Maneouvre cards.
3 Missile Silos
Bunker and Radar Station

As to DKoK, I have 70 of the little swines on my desk right now :) Here's my full FW purchase list:

http://www.ageofstrife.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=227

marv335
14-03-2007, 01:46
don't get me started,
although looking at your list we seem to have roughly the same amount of FW stuff
i've got a bunch of FW tanks somewhere, and some epic stuff, it's just too nice not to buy it.
all my marine vehicles have FW doors/extra armour/upgrades. all my terminators have shoulder pads, and i have a couple of modules from anphelion base in a box somewhere.
addictive isn't it.
God help me if my GF ever finds out how much i've spent.

Spacker
14-03-2007, 09:15
don't get me started,
although looking at your list we seem to have roughly the same amount of FW stuff

Damn! :p

i've got a bunch of FW tanks somewhere, and some epic stuff, it's just too nice not to buy it.

All my Epic stuff got sold off last year, I had an entire Marine chapter plus Imp Navy and Titan support. It was all old stuff though, no FW parts. As to tanks, I've got a few turrets, plus I've got the Armorcast Baneblade and Shadowsword.

all my marine vehicles have FW doors/extra armour/upgrades. all my terminators have shoulder pads, and i have a couple of modules from anphelion base in a box somewhere.

I haven't gone quite that far yet, although I have a few vehicles with DA icons.

addictive isn't it.
God help me if my GF ever finds out how much i've spent.

Yes, it's very addictive. Same as most of the hobby. My wife has a fair idea of how much I have spent, some of the more expensive items (like the Chaos Warhound) I bought before I met her so it's not too bad ;)

Lt. Co Steel
14-03-2007, 20:49
And i thought buying a 12 pack of thunderbolts was bad. lol

marv335
14-03-2007, 21:41
And i thought buying a 12 pack of thunderbolts was bad. lol

that's how it starts...
i bought another pack of lightning attack fighters today.
and a full size one is on the cards too....