PDA

View Full Version : Demonhost vs. Fluff

El_Machinae
12-03-2007, 20:04
I've only read the Inquisitor rules, I haven't shaken the dice with them. This means I don't yet have a feel for what the numbers mean, in the stats boxes.

In Eisenhorn, the demonhost is shown to be many times more powerful (on a different scale, almost) than Space Marines. Is this true in the games?

Charax
12-03-2007, 20:18
The power of a daemonhost depends entirely on the abilities it has. A "Plain" daemonhost using the rulebook rules with few or no psychic powers is far below the power level of a marine. A Daemonhost with Wyrd: Hammerhand, Psychic Impel, Daemonoc: Impervious and Vortex of Chaos can beat the hell out of a Marine and chew on an Arcoflagellant for seconds.

Don't use Abnett's writing as a basis for how game statistics should be. Ever.

Oberon
12-03-2007, 21:00
Besides, Cherubael was a daemon prince/otherwise very powerful demon, and it wasn't properly restrained->it had vast powers. Prophaniti was much weaker, and Cherubael under Eisenhorn's command was even weaker as it was held with multiple wards.

El_Machinae
12-03-2007, 22:40
Don't use Abnett's writing as a basis for how game statistics should be. Ever.
Oh, I get that. But sometimes you can use the fluff. We know from the fluff that a Titan is a different scale of power than an IG tank, and the stats can reflect that.

Charax
12-03-2007, 23:02
I know it may seem like a minor point, but can you please stop using the term "Fluff"? it implies you're being disrespectful of the extensive and detailed background people have spent over two decades compiling. Fluff is something you pull out of your bellybutton. Background is the term favoured among most Inquisitor players.

As for the power difference between Cherubael in the books and in Inquisitor, during his titan-killing escapade he was Unbound and Unmanifested - not being restricted to a physical body and with no restrictions based on his abilities, the scope and intensity of the powers at his disposal as a Daemon Prince of Chaos are almost limitless. The game assumes the daemonhost is Thrice-bound, limiting their powers to levels that are manageable within the scope of the game (hence the human-ish statline and the restricted powers) but with much less chance of it turning around and slicing his master's head off.

With daemonhosts you always have to trade off power against control - Inquisitor assumes that you're controlling the daemonhost and so gives them a power level appropriate to that level of control. Daemonhosts with a lesser binding would be more powerful, but should be GM-controlled "allies" to a player's warband, rather than being under the player's direct control.

Catferret
13-03-2007, 00:29
I know it may seem like a minor point, but can you please stop using the term "Fluff"? it implies you're being disrespectful of the extensive and detailed background people have spent over two decades compiling. Fluff is something you pull out of your bellybutton. Background is the term favoured among most Inquisitor players.

Seconded! This isn't aimed at the original poster specifically but a general plea to everybody.

precinctomega
13-03-2007, 10:50
Indeed. "Fluff" is fine in a WH40K context, because the background is second to the game, but in INQ, the background is absolutely at the heart of the game. It's just a good sign to tell people that we take it seriously.

On topic for the question: the top and bottom of the ranges given in the LRB shouldn't be taken as absolute.

Cherubael, when he took on a titan single-handed, was barely constrained in his host form and had control of his full powers. This was amply demonstrated in the way - with his job done - he turned on Eisenhorn who had to sacrifice a follower to restrain him.

In the LRB, we see Cherubael as a being of far more limited power, largely disconnected from the Warp and therefore physically more vulnerable but also more pliable to the will of his master.

R.