PDA

View Full Version : War Machines

larabic
13-03-2007, 04:59
Now, as far as i know GW has never really addressed this but do you think war machinces should be required to be on a base? Some actually most of them dont come with a base, so it makes it hars when trying to decide if the center of a template hits or not...for example whether the machine takes a str 8 or str 4 hit from a rock lobber.

Personally, i have all my dwarf war machines on the round thin base that GW makes...not sure on the mm. Makes them pretty easy to hit but then again it is a large piece of metal.

Vattendroppe
13-03-2007, 07:35
I don't think it is that hard to decide. If the center is on/above/hitting the warmachine itself it's a direct hit str 8. If it's not, then it's a indirect hit str 4 :)

But I can agree that warmachines should have bases, somehow it feels more like they would belong in a fantasy game then.

blahblahblah
13-03-2007, 08:04
Never thought of it that way, usually I just look through the little hole in the template, if it's over the model, full strength hit, if not half. I'm trying to make bases for my artillery for the reasons vattendroppe mentioned, but they're unfortunately low on the priority list :(

Artemis
13-03-2007, 08:38
Bases represent the area that the model covers. This is larger than the model itself because most models are thought to move around on that square/circle etc. A war machine does not. A base underneath a war machine may be nice for coherency purposes, but should never affect the rules for when it gets hit. The size of the model determines that.

DeathlessDraich
13-03-2007, 10:08
The rules indirectly state they should not have a base.

Negativemoney
13-03-2007, 12:21
Also in fantasy Only square bases are used, not the round ones.

Aelyn
13-03-2007, 14:24
Also in fantasy Only square bases are used, not the round ones.
There's seven models in my Night Goblins who disagree with you :D

Negativemoney
13-03-2007, 14:55
Fanatics are a diffrent story as thier base never realy come into play due to the fact that they are never in combat where as a warmachine can be engage in combat.

Aelyn
13-03-2007, 15:51
Fanatics are a diffrent story as thier base never realy come into play due to the fact that they are never in combat where as a warmachine can be engage in combat.
They may never be in combat, but it can definitely make a difference at times - for instance when checking if a stone thrower has hit them or not. I admit it's unlikely, but my point was that there is precedent for non-rectangular bases in Fantasy.

Besides, unless I'm forgetting something major, war machines are never meaningfully in combat - if there's crew, they stand in the way, if not the machine is automatically destroyed in combat. I could of course be majorly wrong about that...

Artemis
13-03-2007, 18:48
Not wrong as such - but there is that Hellcannon-thingy

Belerophon709
13-03-2007, 19:59

Fanatic Stomping can make it pretty important.

Deathknight
13-03-2007, 21:44
I base all my warmachines. I find it makes them look better, and makes it easy for when the crew have to line up to defend their machine.

kruzkal
15-03-2007, 11:40
Contrary to common belief, GW have addressed the base size for most war machines. Some do have bases whilst others don't. Please refer to this Base Size & US Reference Sheet (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base%2Dchart/1/). In fact there is a link in the READ THIS - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6911) sticky thread in this very forum.

Also worth checking out the Warhammer Gaming Articles (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/gaming/) page for other references.

DeathlessDraich
15-03-2007, 11:52
Contrary to common belief, GW have addressed the base size for most war machines. Some do have bases whilst others don't. Please refer to this Base Size & US Reference Sheet (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base%2Dchart/1/). In fact there is a link in the READ THIS - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6911) sticky thread in this very forum.

All the warmachines at the above reference do Not have a base size.

kruzkal
15-03-2007, 12:03
Steam Tank, Gyrocopter and Warp Lightning Cannon are the ones that I've noticed with bases. Anyway, the main point is that most base sizes have been addressed.

Vattendroppe
15-03-2007, 18:59
Steam Tank, Gyrocopter and Warp Lightning Cannon are the ones that I've noticed with bases. Anyway, the main point is that most base sizes have been addressed.

But rule-wise the steam tank and gyro isn't warmachines.

vinush
15-03-2007, 19:09
Warmachines don't come with bases because they don't need them. If you feel the need to base them, who are we to argue.

For template purposes I have always played, and so has everyone I've ever played against, that if the hole in the centre is over the model, then it is a direct hit. If it isn't, then it's not.

\/ince

the_raptor
15-03-2007, 19:40
I am making bases for my dwarf war machines because I have used the BFSP cannons (two of them heavily converted to be harpoon style bolt throwers). As those are so much smaller than regular dwarf warmachines it feels a bit dirty to use them without bases.

jullevi
15-03-2007, 19:42
But rule-wise the steam tank and gyro isn't warmachines.

Warhammer armies: The Empire, pg. 50:

"Except where noted otherwise, Stam Tank counts as a war machine for all respects."

Artemis
16-03-2007, 13:14
Yeah, but it makes sense. Things that can get into combat by/as themselves have to be on a base. Other warmachines don't.

@Vinush: Stop posting those dice. ;-) Outside the proper forum, they are considered spam.

vinush
16-03-2007, 13:35
Sorry, I must have missed the dice memo. I was just seeing if I can have any better luck with them than I seem to have. I can't.

\/ince

Artemis
16-03-2007, 13:50
Sorry, I must have missed the dice memo. I was just seeing if I can have any better luck with them than I seem to have. I can't.

\/ince

:D I know the feeling. Especially with warmachines. My helblaster, whether it is on a scenic base or not, always misfires in turn one.

Well, now you know about the dice. The problem was that some people went completely overboard...

Artemis