PDA

View Full Version : Question on LM

Horus38
14-03-2007, 04:18
Sup all. I've been playing LM for almost 7 years now (my first army :rolleyes: ) and recently been pondering over the Slann. I have a 5th edition slann (converted) but I've been itching to get the new one. Being the frugal and scrupulous player that I am I like to get the most of my purchases.

So the question is: how big of a game would you need to be playing to use 2 slann? Furthermore has any other LM players out there used 2 slann in a game and how did it go?

I'm leaning towards a 4,000 point minimum for fielding two slann, but what's everyone else think?

As an aside I'm hardly a new LM player so no need for slann/LM tactics here.

arc
14-03-2007, 07:13
Depends on which generation you field. I guess 2 4th generation in 4000points is fine.

dominic_carrillo
14-03-2007, 07:28
you have to think, "would the Lizardmen dare take the chance of losing TWO slann in one battle?"

i think that you should play two second generation slann, because the penalty of losing such expensive units balances out the killer magic phase.

forgottenlor
14-03-2007, 08:14
I have never lost a slaan, though I came pretty close 2 times. I have fielded 2 slaans at 4000 points and once at 3000 points. I lost neither Slaan. I only played 2 slaan at 3000 points because I knew my opponent would be playing the Demonic legion from SOC and be vulnerable to magic, otherwise I would only field 2 at 4000 points.

huitzilopochtli
14-03-2007, 09:25
Two slann in one army? even in large points games you could end up being heavily outnumbered, (unless you take hundreds of skinks, but then you have very few good killy units). Y not take a oldblood on a carnosaur instead? it could help balance your force and its cheaper than a slann, (granted its only a little cheaper unless the slann is second gen and if it has a full complement of magic items, but it could still help with CC.)

Has anyone played with both two slann and a slann and a carno? which army did better?

Greyfire
14-03-2007, 18:48
Has anyone played with both two slann and a slann and a carno? which army did better?

I'll take the slann and carno over the two slanns. Mostly because I've played with chaos armies and they're on my side of the table by turn 2. I need something that can handle HtH effectively. And against weaker willed armies a terror causing creature can really help out. I've just had better luck with that combo over two slann.

The bonus victory points that my opponent earns for killing the slann (thanks to those really tempting generations) usually keeps me from wanting to offer him two juicy targets to choose to throw his army at. I like one beefed up one that I can defend easily vs two that I'll need to split my defenses up for.

But your milage may vary. Good luck with your games!

-=- Greyfire

Jonahmaul
15-03-2007, 17:44
I've got quite a large LM army & I wouldn't consider using a Slaan unless I was playing at least 2500 points so would probably be looking at at least 5000 points before I Would run two. However, my regular opponent & I usually limit the amount of magic levels we play with so we both know we don't need heavy magic defense. Slaan are very expensive and most magic users will very rarely make their points back (plus Slaan have a massive bullseye on them & are worth a hella lot of points dead!).

huitzilopochtli
16-03-2007, 10:32
Can you put the slann in a regular unit of saurus, or does it have to be temple guard?

Aelyn
16-03-2007, 10:48
Slann (not Slaan, despite what some people think) can be put into any unit of Saurus, but if there are Temple Guard in the army a Slann must be in them and cannot leave the unit.