PDA

View Full Version : Decent outline for a Dwarf army?

Bombot
14-03-2007, 11:10
Iím thinking of getting myself a Warhammer Dwarf army, as Black Tree Design have a sale on. However, I know little about Dwarves, outside what my brother used against me about 10 years ago! It does look like they havenít changed an awful lot but could someone tell me whether the following should make a decent selection for a 2000 point list:

25 Warriors
20 Longbeards
20 Hammerers
20 Thunderers (to be split in to two units of 10)
2 Bolt Throwers
2 Cannons

Iím not a great fan of the goofier Dwarf toys, like the Gyrocopter, just because they look a bit goofy.

What about Slayers, are they worth getting? I like the imagery. In theory they should die easily to shooting but I do seem to remember them being a bugger to shift on occasion.

arc
14-03-2007, 12:18
Speaking from a chaos player, I hate slayers. Ive got no shooting to take them down and they are unbreakable and its pain in the a$$ when I got baited into them. :eyebrows:

huitzilopochtli
14-03-2007, 12:42
slayers are good for fighting fear causing enemies.

You should consider playing with an organ gun for when the enemy gets close. My brother plays dwarfs and tears through my skirmishers with them.

Try throwing in a few more ranged units. can be deadly against armies with poor firing units, (such as chaos, vampires, etc.)

arc
14-03-2007, 12:54
Gyrocopter is good for march blocking. It gives you another round or two of shooting.

Bombot
14-03-2007, 12:56
slayers are good for fighting fear causing enemies.

You should consider playing with an organ gun for when the enemy gets close. My brother plays dwarfs and tears through my skirmishers with them.

Try throwing in a few more ranged units. can be deadly against armies with poor firing units, (such as chaos, vampires, etc.)

I'd read someone say that cannons with grapeshot are better overall than the unreliable organ gun. I was never a big fan of organ guns way back when I played last, although I can't remember precisely why.

Nilhouse
14-03-2007, 16:45
Organ guns are better than they used to be, and Grapeshot only has an effective range of about 9 inches now. You just place the flame template at the nozzle of the cannon.

Organ Guns, if re-rolled correctly, have an average of 6 Str 5 hits with a -3 to armor save. That is great for taking out units of 5 man fast cav, skirmishers, or small knight units, where a cannon would only kill 1 max.

By correctly rolled, I mean reroll anything but a 6/8/10 on the artillery dice for number of hits to get maximum on average hits.

heretics bane
14-03-2007, 19:18
ive rarely, if all roll a miss fire on my organ gun and have an averge of 10 but maybes because im lucky as hell;) a good 10 man unit of quarellers are great for taking down anything thats got decent armour chaos knights etc. and the +1 to hit is really good and slayers are good but the die to posioned weapons, so beware

llama rider
14-03-2007, 20:02
dude
thats an ok dwarf army
but you forgot the best thing.....HEROES!!! dwarf heroes are unstoppable because with a shield and a hand weapon they have a 2+ save in combat. not too shabby. one of the first heroes you should get if you are facing a magic army is a runesmith, which adds 2 to your 4 dispell dice, and takes away an enemy power dice. also i would get thorogrim grudgebearer because he can save your ass and its closer to impossible to kill him. if i were you i would chose between a shooty army or a combat army, because while you can do both, it is hard to successfuly balance the two out in one army. take that from experience. while you dont want a completely shooty army, you should still take at least one unit of thunderers for core. longbeards are a must as well because they are hard to break and are wicked good in combat. rangers are optional, though they help tremendously, but you should only stick them in if you have enough points. for special, i stick with ironbreakers and cannons. those max out shootyness and combat. then with my remaining special choices, i go for miners, because of underground advance. i wouldnt bother with bolt throwers. grudge throwers are worth the points if, and only if, you are facing an enemy with large blocks of light infantry. finally, for special, the only thing worth getting is organ guns. at up to 10 shots a turn, they are devastating because they dont allow armor saves and always wound. if you get a master engineer then you can entrench your organ gun and that makes it in hard cover. now regarding your question about slayers. are you the kind of person who plays it safe, or are you reckless. if you are the latter, then go for the slayers. they are quite good. some parting advice. dont be TOO reckless because you have only so many troops. also, wait until the new plastic boxed sets come out to do your special troops.