PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into 40k?

Lyinar
15-03-2007, 15:54
I think it's kind of interesting finding out how various people got into the hobby, so here's how I got introduced to it.

I have attended an event called DragonCon (http://www.dragoncon.org) for the past six years, and will be attending it again this year. It is a massive sci-fi/fantasy convention held every year in Atlanta, GA (How massive, you ask? Last year, there were almost 40,000 people there between the three main hotels and the overflow hotels). Back in 2002, they were going to have John Rhys-Davies as a guest, and he was going to be in a panel for the Tolkien Track, as he was playing Gimli in the Lord of the Rings movies. As the Tolkien Track was stuck in a tiny room in the bowels of the Hyatt Regency, and I'd found out the previous year that half an hour early was too late for standing room at a popular event in a tiny room, I decided to show up for the opening ceremonies and stay in the room through the second panel, so that I would already be there for the panel with John Rhys-Davies.

The opening ceremonies went the way I expected them to, with the crazy folk from TheOneRing.net (http://www.theonering.net) running the track, and then, the second panel (which I hadn't even bothered to look at in the program booklet) started up, and it was a panel featuring some guys from this company called Games Workshop, who were talking about this really cool miniature wargame based on the Lord of the Rings that they had managed to get the license to create.

I was intrigued by this, and even though John Rhys-Davies didn't even show up for the convention and we didn't find out about that until about half an hour into the panel he was supposed to be part of, I didn't feel too bad about it (aside from getting to hear a TheOneRing.net staffer who went by the name of Quickbeam belting out "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" from the animated RotK movie in a big booming voice). I ended up visiting Games Workshop's booth in the Exhibitor's Hall later in the Con, and even got to play the Goblins pursuing the Fellowship in a demo game of Lord of the Rings.

Some time after the Con, I was visiting my best friend in Macon, and decided to show him the website for the game, and from there, we saw that Games Workshop did other stuff, including a very interesting Sci-Fi wargame called Warhammer 40k.

A couple of years later, I finally had a stable enough job (as opposed to working one and two day contracts) that I decided to build my first Warhammer 40k army: Tau.

Light of the Emperor
15-03-2007, 16:04
I met a guy who lived down the road from me. We were both interested in Star Wars and that's how things got going. After being out of touch for a while, we met up again and he showed me this new game he plays. That of course, was warhammer 40k. He encouraged me to get an army going and 6 years, 3 GTs and countless RTTs later, I'm still playing.

El Presedente
15-03-2007, 16:09
I must have been about nine or something, way back during 2nd edition anyway, I was at a friends birtday party and he got a load for his birthday, I was interested ever since, I drifted in and out now and again, but I keep coming back.

Huw_Dawson
15-03-2007, 16:09
My dad found a clone box of dwarves in his garage one day in 2000. That's when I first heard about Games Workshop. Then I started a 6th Ed Empire Army for Warhammer.

Then I took a look at the 40k section of the website and never looked back. ;)

- Huw

EDIT: Sorry about that just then. Just accidentally quadruple posted. o_O

Templar Ben
15-03-2007, 16:12
I had no interest in playing until I started working down the street from the Mill in Memphis. It is almost supporting local business.

Stella Cadente
15-03-2007, 16:15
when I was 5, I played Battlefleet gothic and thought "Wow this is cool" after GW got rid of Gothic *shakes fist VIOLENTLY at GW*, I switched to 40k, and it all began from there

Lavadude360
15-03-2007, 16:16
well one of my old mates from a before school club had some cards. On which were pics of orks. I later puchased 1 ork boy and 2 wartracks for 5!!! off him

bargin!!

and that was that ive been hooked since.

Mozzamanx
15-03-2007, 16:17
My brother got his first model, a marine bike, for his birthday. First time I had ever seen warhammer, and later that day went into the local toyshop (still go there now) where the friend had bought it, and had a look.

I bought the coolest thing I could afford at the time, and sice warhammer warps your idea of 'cheap', I spent all my money on a crisis suit. Ended up as a commander for about 5 years, before getting replaced by the FW commander last year.

Jedi152
15-03-2007, 16:17
As with many people on this site, Space Crusade.

Takitron
15-03-2007, 16:21
I got into it hardcore from hanging out with all my friends at the Game shop where they worked. I always wached their games, and picked up on the rules. when 4th Edition came out, I said I would join the ranks and I did. I'll admit that I played Space hulk back in the day and really enjoyed it, but I didnt start seriously collecting till 4th edition.

Tonberry
15-03-2007, 16:21
I walked past a GW store one Sunday afternoon and was greeted by ridiculously loud shouting, I went in to enquire as to what the fuss was about, and have been hooked since.

MrBigMr
15-03-2007, 16:23
I was on a trip in ye merry ol' England years back (let see, it was... 9-12 years back, mid-90s). I was sitting in a subway as I happened to pick up a magazine someone had left on the seat.
It had a picture of a battlefield with an imperator titan stomping everything. Inside were pics of models and such. I kept it for years, but managed to lost it few years back. There's a possibility it's just stacked somewhere under plenty of stuff, but I won't hold my breath about it.
But anyways, it was my first step towards 40K. Few years ago, I met some people who play wargames and such. So I started my own IG. I also have a BFG fleet.

ankara halla
15-03-2007, 16:27
My friends older brother had bought a copy of RT as it was published, I took a look at it and was hooked.

machine_recovered_meat
15-03-2007, 16:32
late 1988/early 1989, my brother turns up with a copy of WD112.
It's an interesting read, full of cool things.
A week later, I wander into the same branch of WH Smiths and pick up 111 [:wtf: i have no idea]
and again - it's amazing.

He picks up Adeptus Titanicus [and then Space Marine when it came out]
& Rogue Trader.

I pick up a box of Beakies and a Phantom Titan.

The rest is history.

Kerflunc
15-03-2007, 16:41
about 5 years age a friend of mine showed me some orks he had so i went down to the store and got some marines be playing ever since.

Madfool2
15-03-2007, 17:31
Brought an Eldar jetbike 4 year's ago, only now i have actually begun an Eldar army, weird it be.

Hulkster
15-03-2007, 17:42
Combat cards started it off, the Chaos and the Space Battles ones being my favorite's

then When I was a year or 2 older a mate started collecting , I thought about I ummmed and arred and then I got a copy of WD issue 197 the Wood Elevs had just come out.

I couldnt decided whether to play 40k or warhammer my parents wouldnt let me do both

in the end I picked 40k and I got the 2nd Edition Chaos Codex the day it came out

a year later I got bored of chaos, never really liking the models and most of them being metal I changed my army to space marines

I was originally going to make my own chapter using the guidelines from WD, Angels of Light, they always used Photon Flash Flares, a different mate who had only played Necromunda before, was going to make an army based on them coming from a brewery. Landlords and barmen and allthat.

In the end I ended up choosing DA, my mate went SW and another friend went BA.

Thats how I got into it. 2nd Edition FTW

dblaz3r
15-03-2007, 18:00
When I started intermediate school at 10 I became friends with a guy from england, he was into epic and I loved sci-fi so it was done. We started going to a gaming group regularaly after I got the epic & titan boxed sets, epic was fun but I noticed other people playing a game with bigger, doper looking individual models ,rogue trader, I was instantly hooked but didn`t get into it till the 2nd edition boxed set came out. I have had a 12yr break since leaving home and travelling and what not but am now back, neck deep.
I may have been doing other things but the fascination never died.

Hadhfang
15-03-2007, 18:10
Well this is going to be a bit of a long read-I used it as the start of a similar topic on TauOnline (albiet with less sucess)

I started in 2003 when I was 12, My friend suggested that I go along to GW and have a look around- LoTR was a big thing then.

So I did just that and played an intro game, and found that it was fun and went away to look at the lord of the rings miniatures and choose and army. My first was a high elf army, my brother started an uruk-hai army and we played against each other. but having seen the lord of the Rings I wanted my games to be more realistic and so started an army of Minas Tirith. It was in my lord of the Rings stage that I tried all parts of the hobby, gaming, painting and converting (though converting became bigger later). I found that the painting was enjoyable and I found that I would not enjoy a game unless my army was properly painted. It is thanks to Lord of the Rings that I found 40k so enjoyable.

Now the bit that is important. Around my 13th birthday my other friend decided he wanted to start 40K and suggested that I go along with him and start as well-since my birthday was the following week i did a bit of research on the armies and found that the Tau models were my favourite so i decided to pursue that army. I went along and bought the tau codex and a box of firewarriors, then set about assembling them.

Whilst assembly was not too bad my first painting attempts were sadly, poor to say the least-but at school a lot of people were getting into the hobby as well so we played a lot of games at each others houses (though the only owner of a rulebook was interested in winning) though after Christmas I went along to the beginner class armed with the knowledge of a new rulebook (since most people at my school had packed it in-my friend had decided that IG needed a thing called "tactics" to win with and didn't like using them-so he started marines and played with 250 points more than he was allowed to win) and then to the sunday beginner club.

This was the beginning stage many gamers go through, and I went to the sunday club with my Tau every week and every week I got creamed. My friend who had now started marines turned out to be as bad winning as he was when he lost. Myself I stuck with the Repainting them for the 3rd time and enjoying gaming non the least. I got to know the staff a bit around this time but then my 40k army was forgotten for a wile.

I had got to a stage where losing every week had become a routine and i was getting a bit tired of it so decided to start fantasy in the hope that i may be able to win due to the lack of marine armies on the other side of the board. I started lizardmen and actually began to win on occasion. I became one of the regulars at the Saturday club (having been moved up) and then participated in a doubles tournament where me and my parter lost hideously since we managed to play against 3 of the 4 armies with magic users in them. Then I spent a while playing fantasy and all was well

So after that I then got the urge to start 40k again-I don't know why, I just did and set about making a themed army (my obsession with themes came after my lizardmen who were a sacred host) I painted my army to a decent tabletop standard and converted my tau commander who received great praise. I got back into 40k with new motivation and went to a 40k doubles tournament shortly after which Saw some of the best games I've ever played -the best against a farther and son ultramarine team no least- and then continued to enjoy 40K and never changed once from then.

well I'm pretty sure you're sick of me rambling on now so I'll try and finis with a few other things.

My first gamesday was 2006 and it was phenomenal- I strongly urge you to attend one if you haven't yet you will love it I guarantee it. I came to appreciate the painting and converting around my Lizardmen army, My friend who played Ultramarines then went to Dark Angels before finding out about Dawn of War and has not picked up his dice and figures since. I also appreciated the background and depth of the universe as I restared my tau, having read the Lizardmen background and enjoyed that. Tau Online was found as I started my tau army and I must say it has been great, and shortly after I found warseer-though don't post as regularly I must admit :(
so that is my rise -fall and return to 40K!

(and sorry for an spelling mistakes, but for some reason the spell checker isn't working for me)

shadowsun68
15-03-2007, 18:12
me i was at southdhields when i walked into a whsmiths and picked up a mag called white dwarf that had the sw v orks when the sw were redone for the 3rd ed lol i was hooked started collecting orks then dark eldar then lost intrest but never stoped reading wd. Then last year on the 1st of april my birthday lmao i started to collect tau and i love it.

malsheem
15-03-2007, 18:50
I wandered into a GW store looking for different miniatures to use for AD&D. I was looking at the Fantasy minis, but then saw the 40k minis, specifically, the Necrons. "Hey, these guys look cool." "You can play a game with them?" Within the next week I bought the rulebook, Necron Battleforce, Lord, extra Warriors, and extra Destroyers.

Havrik
15-03-2007, 19:06
One of my good friends was starting to coax me into 40k and how everything works out. he mainly got me when he told me of the dark eldar, which was described as 'think protoss and the space pirates from metroid mixed together'. shortly after, i bought teh 3rd ed box and a little bit of enough to start up. after playing a small army in a *massive* 20,000 pt game, i was hooked on teh game for good. it also helped me to learn some important things, such as "wargear is a must. don't forget it!". :P

Groksnag
15-03-2007, 19:10
Someone (my friend who intro'ed me to 40K) moved into the neighbor hood and I went over to see if the guy who moved in shared any hobbies/interests that I did. he mentioned WarHammer40K, and I immediately asked if it was possible to learn how to play right now, and he said yes.
2 years later, Im on WarSeer, explaining how I got started :D

Iceheart2112
15-03-2007, 19:11
"Oo look! Cool looking sci-fi miniatures!" *Desk full of unpainted, assembled minis later* "Why am I so poor??"

Fred_Scuttle
15-03-2007, 19:12
Played Fantasy from about 2001. Always saw the 40K items in WD, catalogs, ( funny - that USED to be two seperate things:rolleyes: ). Loved the way the models looked - did not want to take the burden of another army - game system - etc.

Finally in late 2005 a Fantasy friend of mine and I agreed to take the 40K plunge, me going Chaos with the thought I could re-use some of my Demons....and here I am today.

Played about 5 games of 40K so far - just busy for the most part - no real other reason. Have not played Fantasy sence 7th came out although I own the BB.

40K is 'OK' in my opinion. When I have a few more buildings built we are going to tackle Cities of Death and see if that increases our enjoyment of it.

I'll prob model 1-2 more armies - I **LOVE** the Nid models - and may well build but never play them. Same for the Tau - great models.

Fred

Vic
15-03-2007, 19:15
First off, big fan of knights and armor, but fantasy isnt my thing. Well, the movie Aliens came out in '86, went to the theater about 5 times to see it. Then I saw a box set (RTBOX1) of Space Marines. Got it, then saw the game Space Hulk, got that, then bought 2 Rhinos, a couple of Land Raiders.....I then didnt touch the stuff for almost 6 years. By then, the LR's were gone, most of SH was warped beyond use, but I still had my beakies. So I did the brake fluid thing, cleaned off the camoflage paint job (yes, back then SM used camo) and began in earnest with 40K again. Slowed down lately due to the prices being so high. I have SM, DH, Tau, Nid armies. Am introducing hobby to my kids now :)

inq.serge
15-03-2007, 19:22
I was playing warhammer, and heard that there's a sf verison to, did't care, no-one was playing it. Heard it was called 40k, didn't care, not interesting. Saw its website, not interesting. Sat at the libray, looked on the Enslavers, read their rules, got interested. (Enslavers where my first 40k models). Saw defilers, cool, read that they where used by aby. Saw aby. Even cooler, saw my lizzies, didn't want to play daemons. Saw Deamon hunters. Got interested. Got caught by the cops (35 fine), Didn't like law, started chaos and 40k.

Marinox
15-03-2007, 19:40
i'd been painting reaper/ral partha minis for a while. (not painting them WELL mind you). i liked painting but i got tired of painting a beholder or paladin and just putting it on the shelf and awaiting the slim chance we'd actually need to use them in a DnD game.

so i figured i might as well actually USE the minis i'm painting. i was dead set on starting fantasy tomb kings when a couple of guys at the game store talked me into 40k. i was looking through the shelves when i came across a blister of incubi. 5 years, untold hundres of dollars, and two dark eldar tatoos later. here i am.

and i never looked back.

OrlyggJafnakol
15-03-2007, 19:52
My father bought me WD108 for a little newsagents called 'Horsey's' in Wereham, Dorset, England (and its still there). It had a titan on the front stomping some people and loads of painted miniatures.

Got hooked immediately!

Got bought by my parents, in chronological order; WFB, WHFRP, Space Marine, Advanced Space Crusade, Heroquest. The 80s made way for the 90s and everything went kiddified and dumbed down.

Fast forward to 2004. I was unemployed and bored. Walked past GW which were just republishing 40k. Bought the rulebook with my dole money and never looked back.

demiourgos
15-03-2007, 19:57
Bruce and Phil at Valparaiso Pet & Hobby talked up the game so much prior to its release that we permeable youths necessarily followed our elders orders and purchased large quantities of rogue trader era minis. The rest, as they say, is history...

Aundae
15-03-2007, 20:32
It was about three, three and a half years ago I was looking for a model to put together and I saw a Sisters of battle Immolator at the model shop I went to. The store clerk said it was for nuns with guns and I was sold. I guess it was about a year later I saw that there were actual Sister of battle miniatures and thought it would be a really cool past time to put them together and paint. In another year after that I had my first actual game of 40k with about 1000pts of fully painted Sisters.

etham
15-03-2007, 20:57
I was really into the Robotech anime series in the mid '80s, which got me into Mechwarrior and Battletech. Then I started painting Ral Partha minis.

The first time I saw a 40k mini was in the late '80s. I saw the old Terminator set with 8 models (remember? in the green box with the Blood Angel on the front). I painted each model a different chapter, then I got the rule book ans started collecting Space Wolves. Eventually I moved into Space Marine and got really into Eldar. Eventually I sent all of my stuff to the son of my dad's best friend when I was in 10th grade because I was "too old for it."

Then about a year ago I was walking down the street feeling very depressed and listless and saw a bunch of really well painted Tau in the window of the Greenwich Village store in NYC. I walked in and bough the latest rule book and now I have about 3000 points of Eldar and about 5000 points of Dark Angels, none of them finished, but all of them started.

I plan on finishing them all at the same time. :D

Vet.Sister
15-03-2007, 21:04
My girlfriend (now wife) got me into it...:eek: go figure....

Sparda
15-03-2007, 21:06
When I was 6 or 7, I walked into a card store with my mom, hopeing to get some pokemon cards. As I walked up to were they were, I saw on a bottem shelf, a few boxes of awsome looking artwork. I begged my mom to get them, and she said yes. When we asked what they were, the owner said some things he got a while back. He explained they were models, and my dad could paint mdels magnifacintly. We got a eight man squad of space marines for $5 and took them home. My dad put them together and painted them red and gold, and a trip back briught home an eldar jetbike with a huge canon and a regiment of skelentins, which cost about $12 together. We never got the jebike together, and saw no need for a paint job for the skellingtons, so I but them away and began to play around with the space marines. I then went into a wizards of the coasts store and saw a ton of warhammer. I begged to get some, but they were expensive, and I walked out with nothing but a few magic the gathering cards. That Christmas, I asked for some warhammer, but got some mage knight. I then lost thee models except for an eldar torso and a skelinton, and didnt think of it till 7th grade, when a new student came to the eitgh grade. Me and my friend hardley talked to him for a little while, when he joined football. I then asked him if he played starcraft, and said yes. We started talking about it, and he ventured into warhammer 40k. I said I had bought some a while back, and he said buy some. I waited a little while, and bought the battle for magrage. I then bought a captian and a few more marines off of him, along with the space marine codex. Then, I bought some more. And more. Now I have roughly 2300 ponts of space marines, and all that in only 12 months! thank you Ebay!(and Land Raiders.)[dice0]

Chaplain T
15-03-2007, 21:12
I played Heroquest after school 4th and 5th grade.

A friend of mine got a bunch of combat cards at a flea market.

Freshmen in Highschool I met a kid who had all the 2nd Ed. books and epic models. He had a few Chaos marines and orks. His step brother had Eldar.

I wanted to buy stuff right away. They told me not to because 3rd Ed. was only about a week away.

Then came the 3rd Ed. Chaos book.

The picture of the Obliterator sold me. I haven't stopped playing since.

darronk
15-03-2007, 21:28
I've been collecting and playing 40K on and off for 10 years. I started with Heroquest, then Fantasy, then got Necromunda for my 13th Birthday. It was more my dad that got me into it, as I loved making and painting Airfix kits and the like, and he saw Heroquest and bought it as a Christmas present. I quickly got bored of that, and at the time, there was only one pretty rubbish independent model store in my town which sold a few Warhammer things. I picked up a couple of Orc models (Lead ones, that's how long ago) from there and got the main game from Argos.

I stopped playing for a while when I hit 18, up til last year, when I was simply bored, and me and a few friends started collecting again. Now I've got roughly 2000 points of Lizardmen, and I've started a Smurf army.

The funny thing is, when I was younger I went through phases with Warhammer. At the end of which I'd usually give away everything I'd bought, or sell it on Ebay. I had the Skulz Ultramarine Standard Bearer, which I am sorely regretting giving away (as it's an incredibly awesome model).

All in all I've collected the following:

High Elves,
Lizardmen,
Orcs & Goblins,
Undead,
Space Marines,
Space Wolves,
Tyranids,
Blood Angels,
Orks,
Eldar,

The majority of them I've collected to 2000 points, and gave most of it away.

Yup I'm an idiot.

Duo
15-03-2007, 21:37
I must have been about nine or ten (so that's like 1989). My friend's step-dad, Russ, was teaching him how to play and he asked if I wanted to learn. I loved anything sci-fi or with a gun, so imagine the look on my face when he started telling me about Terminators.

I used his minis to learn the game. Played Eldar, Squats (:eek: ), Guard, and Marines. For my next birthday my present from my friend was a brand new box of RTB01 Beakies. I've been a marine player ever since. Started with Dark Angels (properly painted black) and moved on to Blood Angels. Going on 20 years and three editions later I still play BA and have even got Tycho's (Emperor rest his soul) personal icon tattooed on my shoulder.

I've taught a lot of people over the years, just like Russ taught me. Sometimes I think that is the best part about this hobby, and I can't wait to have kids of my own to teach one day.

victorpofa
15-03-2007, 22:00
I first heard about 40K from a gamer friend at college in the early 90's. He had a bunch of white metal models, and tried to get people interested in the game. We all passed since it sounded very expensive to get into while BattleTech was cheap. From what I remember he had a metal Eldar army. I remember a Wraith Lord. I don't think any of it was painted.

Fast forward to last March when I discovered a local gaming club. They have a table dedicated to 40K. I looked at the minis people were working on at a side table covered in paint and bits, but still was not interested. A few months later I painted my first miniature for an RPG that gave a bonus for having a painted mini to represent your character at the first session. I started to acquire paints and minis and discovered I liked to do this.

Near the end of last summer it was proposed that a 40K skirmish campaing be set up using modified Mordheim rules. I decided on Tau being an anime fan. My force was to consist of two Fire Warriors, a Crisis Suit, an Etherial, and a Kroot Shaper. All the "Hero" characters in the list generated by the guy setting it up. I acquired a box of Fire Warriors on ebay and began to work on them. I got curious about the game, and checked out the GW site. I became hooked by the models, and now about six months later I have six armies and a couple of warbands piled up and awaiting time to work on them.

I do have a playable army to use until my Space Wolves are done. My Necrons were the old army of one of the guys at the club who wanted to finance the rest of his new Dark Eldar army. The Necons only need a few more Destroyers to be finished. I liked the Army List used by the player in Firebase issue 1. Boring but effective. Nothing but warriors and destroyers with a destroyer lord.

Unfortunately I can only get to the club once a week for "The World's Largest Dungeon", and most of the membership has WOW-itis. Because of this disease I still have not played a game or even seen one played. :cries: You can't get them away from their PCs without a grenade. The nearest Rogue Trader has a pathetic demo where you go through one round of combat between a squad of Smurfs and a squad of Necron warriors on a table about the size of a chess board.

sigur
15-03-2007, 22:18
The usual way many people of my age got into the whole thing. First there was Heroquest, then there was Starquest/Space Crusade which I got totally hooked on, the DSA (originally a german pen&paper roleplaying game which has quite a history) boardgames. Then I got the Claymore Saga (Battlemasters in english-speaking countries IIRC). Apart from that, I was quite much into historical modelling kits (1/35 WW2 tanks, 1/72 WW2 planes), hence the interest in painting, modelling and such.

Once, we did a trip to a mall about 2 hours away from my home, where I found this amazing modelling store which also had all kinds of GW products. I recognized the Space Marines miniatures and got really confused about Terminators and Chaos Space Marines Terminators. The latter looked really evil and in line with the other Chaos models but were called "CSM Terminators" so I thought they were about hunting CSM while exactly looking like them. :p I also was totally into the looks of the plastic Stormtroopers and the Green Knight.

Anyway, my brother and I planned using SM miniatures in our games of Star Quest/Space Crusade with home-made rules so we got the Bikers Squadron box. Well, two weeks later, I took another trip to this store and got the 2nd edition 40k box which must have been around the earlier days of this edition.

And that was it. I got totally into the 40k background, the miniatures and basically everything about that stuff. I have to admit that I didn't play much in 2nd edition, yet I was absolutely devastated when 3rd edition was released. I remember buying the German WD issue (October '98 which presented the 3rd edition. Everything about the game felt different and so simplistic. They seemingly had taken out all the rules that seemed to make the game interesting and complex; I didn't even my Guardsmen getting a 5+ save all of a sudden instead of their 6+ (5+ vs. weapons which used a template) save.

Well, and there we are now. I still wish they reintroduced much of the 2nd edition rules to the game and I still believe that the game is much too simple to carry all these armies and make a coplex game, yet I just feel so connected to it and just can't get out of this whole business.

Shrike30
16-03-2007, 03:40
I knew nothing of 40k, and then I played Dawn of War. I was nearly sold by the intro video alone (specifically, when a Dreadnought marches out of a smoky ruin and pours fire into an ork-infested hillside), but the game in general just seemed interesting.

I downloaded the main rulebook to get a look at it, and really dug what it seemed the rules could accomplish. And damn, if there weren't some cool looking models in there, some of which didn't even exist in DoW. I was sold.

Went to GW a bit later, picked up some Space Marines. Now, I play Space Wolves and Tau, with future plans for some Tyranids (unless the Ork codex looks really cool) and some Elysians.

Chainsworded Codpiece
16-03-2007, 04:32
My father bought me WD108 for a little newsagents called 'Horsey's' in Wereham, Dorset, England (and its still there). It had a titan on the front stomping some people and loads of painted miniatures.

108 kinda ruled. I won a copy of (Epic) Space Marine from the contest in that ish.

Another thing that rules; your Avatar!

That issue of WD, the cover with the Blood Drinker Spacer'ino blasting a bunch of homeless (and probably, to him), harmless Scavvies to death with his bolter at POINT-BLANK RANGE.

Great Gxd, if that doesn't let you know about the Imperium as a boot stomping on the face of Humanity, nothing will. All Hail Jim Burns!

I got into 40k by reading WD # 93. RT, and (various levels of interest in) the successive editions, followed.

Ianos
16-03-2007, 08:53
A friend of mine had played 40k from 2nd ed and told me stories from time to time and i was interested but never considered starting it. Until one day i went to a local Internet Cafe to play some LAN games with my friends and just out of curiosity i started DOW to see how it was... that intro can never be forgotten... i started screaming to everybody to get into the game and so they did and we all enjoyed it. After a few times of playing the game at home i started craving having one of those minies i got to design with any colour imaginable in DOW.
So one day i just went into a hobby store and asked how it is done, got the rulebook and the next night i met with my friends and we all got intoxicated....

Griffin
16-03-2007, 11:01
Heard of Warhammer vaguely - thought it sucked.......

Got Dawn of War - Watched intro - scoured manual for more history, got on GW site, bought books, stalked warseer - bought models.

Addicted,poor, happy....

Sakura
16-03-2007, 12:11
I was dragged or at least followed my boyfriend into this store, I was curious.
I saw grey knight terminators (new release at the time) and thought they looked cool.
I stood there looking at the 2 boxes and wondering why one of them was half the price of the other ones, I looked and looked and looked and then figured out that the ones marked terminators had bigger shoulders and that was all.

Later I wandered past that place on my own and saw some painted and felt very comfortable with the fact that my papa might get a kick out of these as little christmas gifts, so I purchused some and got a codex for the hell of it and kinda liked it, then I found Slaanesh and I was hooked.

Angelwing
16-03-2007, 13:19
i got into the hobby because of a mate who bought white dwarf, and i liked the models. i got into 40k from playing necromunda.

Arianwen
16-03-2007, 13:23
I was given the first Gaunt's Ghosts book by my best friend's older brother just after the first year of my GCSEs, then the first Last Chancers book and so on. I also gained a bunch of Dark Eldar from this young man (was Switchblade on Portent, not sure if he's still here). Then I got given a massive plastic bag full of old metal figures, bought some paint and used them for practice. Now I sit comfortably in the knowledge that I can go into a GW and feel happy and plot my next painting challenge (I don't play, yet).

muskrat
16-03-2007, 17:31
A buddy of mine in sixth grade brought in the rulebook and a couple catalouges. Gave me a space marine. After I saw how expensive it was, I decided not to play. (this was second edition, with the real crappy marines)

Then a year or two later, a separate friend introduced me to his eldar army, still second edition. He wouldn't part with his war walkers, sadly (:)) but did give me a 2nd edition Grot.

Then high school. A friend whom I lost contact with after, literally, first grade started going to my high school, just as third edition came out. I picked up a couple SM tactical squads, and became addicted.

Currently I'm building a guard force in order to play demos with friends and get them interested. Guard v Chaos.

zendral
16-03-2007, 17:37
In 9th grade my buddy brought the 3rd edition rulebook on the bus. He flipped thru all the armies and thought it was interesting. I didn't really get excited about any of them untill he hit the chaos section. The giant picture of the bloodthirster and sexy-looking night lord terminators caught my eye and I was hooked.

Whats funny is that this friend was heavily into it at the start. Now he has pretty much quite the hobby and I run tournaments in my community.

Alaryel
16-03-2007, 18:13
After receiving MB's "Warlords" for christmas my brother and myself wanted to buy MB's "Space Crusade".

However (fortunately), my brother went to his english friend for holydays and came back with a fresh new Dark Angel Tactical Squad.

We then went to a GW store and bought the 2nd edition box of Warhammer 40,000, a Dark Angel captain and the ork warlord Ghazghkull Trakka+Mahari the gretchin.

Wow this was G.O.D. (Good Old Days) :cool:

bloodforminis
16-03-2007, 18:39
A friend got me into the game in the 8th grade in middle school. It's been a crazy and worthwhile trip ever since!

Legion
16-03-2007, 19:07
White dwarf 98 uk edition, read it way way back in high school, think I was around 13... then went on holiday to torquay and found a toy shop that had some imperial army blisters and chaos renegades... the lure of the dark gods took my soul then.

studderigdave
16-03-2007, 19:44
there was a gaming store in my town called "wizards cove" i was 11 or so at the time, and i was playing battletech and DnD at the time. there were some citadel model catalogs the owner gave out. i saw the imperator titan in one of them, with space marines pouring out of the legs.

a few months later i went to a local convention, "CoveCon" and saw gorkamorka, i wanted to play orks before i saw it, but i bought it with all the money i brought with me.

a few months later im building battlewagons out of model car kits and have a sizable (2000 point) ork horde with my shiney new codex. later i started chaos and dark eldar (wych cult). now i play eldar, nids, orks and chaos as well as lizardmen, orgres, 2 epic armies, 2 INQ gangs and a necromunda gang. as well as my OG gorkamorka warband.

hootier
16-03-2007, 20:43
D&D -> Hero Quest -> Warhammer Quest -> Warhammer FB -> Warhammer 40k

Squallish
16-03-2007, 21:21
My friend tried to get me into it when we were like 14 back in 2nd edition I think.. but I didn't like it.. took to long to learn at the time.

Then Dawn of War came out and I fell in love with the Eldar. My and my roomies (one of which was said friend) played DoW for about 8 months before we decided to go out and try the armies.

My brother now plays 'nids and Space Wolves. I play Eldar and Chaos (and now Necrons). My roomie plays smurfs and Orks. It's a good mix of armies and we have a great club nearby.

victorpofa
17-03-2007, 15:52
Dawn of War did not get my interest started, but it did fuel it and was the reason I went overboard on buying more minis before finishing the ones I already have. Fun game.

FlyingViking
17-03-2007, 17:40
I own Warhammer FB 2nd edition. 40K Rogue Trader was released, and I bought it from GW Nottingham in 1987.
Dropped out of the hobby in 1991
Got back into it in 2001, when a friend suggested a game of 3rd ed 40K, because his neighbour's son had just gotten it for his birthday. So dug out some Space Wolf models from some boxes, bought the BBB and 2 codexes and started playing.
Now I have DE, Orks, IG (Squats, Ratlings, Ogryns), WH/DH allies as well as even more Space Wolves (enough to use my old 80's models as 13th Co, and my new 00's models as SW, and fill an FOC with both sets). Also since got into Necromunda (Cawdor, Redemption and Escher), and own most other SG games, but not really played them.

Duhgame
18-03-2007, 09:47
My friend got me into it in high school when I saw him looking over some codexes. Saw the marines, talked about the game, he brought in a couple models for show, I later go to a GW store and bought the battle for Macragge and the SM Megaforce. :D

The redshirt there had his mind blown that some kid would buy that much stuff after a quick explaination and demo game. (I had througghly researched the hobby and my friend knew a lot about it as he had started about 3 or 4 years before me). It was so funny to see the redshirts face! :D

Lord_Magellan
18-03-2007, 12:20
My brother had tried to get me into it for about 11 or 12 years, possibly even 13. I lost track. I was always a Classic Battletech Fan and figured I'd call it even there.

After his divorce I moved in with him to help him get by financially and to help keep my tiny nephews entertained. I started to immediately search for something in common, as my brother and I had a strained relationship growing up. I finally relented to try 40K but I was a half-arsed about it.

Then exactly a year ago on the 22, my brother nearly died. He came as close as you get without waking up in a coffin; coma, organs shutting down, doctors predicting who wasn't going to get through the night. Not a happy time.

I figured the time had come to really close the gap between us as human beings, so I hurled myself bodily into 40K. My very first army was Tyranids, which I liked well enough visually, but the army played against my tactical strengths. Also, as soon as I picked them, I learned they were getting re-released, so I waited a bit and kicked off that army off in force as soon as the new models were released (around the same time as my brother's incident).

Still, they just never really fit me, and I really wanted a central hero I could throw myself behind. I was learning to appreciate the game for its own sake, slow going as it was, so I reluctantly settled on Dark Angels. I was enthusiastic about their back story, but skeptical because the space marines have a reputation for being a cheesy army. Besides, I'd heard they were going to be re-released the following year, so I decided to wait before really getting into them (I built my entire force after Medusa V, but I painted a few individual Dark ANgels along the way).

What really hooked me was the Inquisition. I respected the bugs, I rocked with the Dark Angels, but the Inquisition fit me like a good shoe. I began to aggressively build up and paint a Sisters of Battle only army and had one ready for action when Medusa V came about.

The idea of a world wide campaign was interesting to me, but I was skeptical based on how poorly I'd always seen gamers get along in a general sense where competitive games were concerned. I was totally wrong to be sketpical. Not only was the community for the Medusa V campaign absolutely rock solid and constructive, I was able to create a character that really held his own and became a name of note in hydra, Inquisitor Kurlin. It remains the single best gaming experience I've ever had, between the enthusiasm in the game store and the gorgeous way everyone meshed together into one generous and fun community online. I never thought that sort of synnergy was possible, and that was the experience that totally, totally sold what was left of me on 40K as a hobby/experience. I even liked that the campaign had a definitive ending, preventing it from becoming stale and overrun - it was winding down naturally in its last week, it seemed, so it was good to see it play out its lifespan without issue.

Now, I'm told the Inquisition are getting a redux relatively soon. Seems every army I pick ends up getting remade in short order. Is that good luck or bad luck? Hmm. Ask my wallet. ;P

general trooper
18-03-2007, 14:51
mine started when my grandma got me a box set of lotr orcs. and after i finished painting them (very badly).;) i noticed gw did a wargame called warhammer 40,000. i got the battle for maccrag and read the rules and started getting cadians and hav recently updated with vostroyans.:cool: i only wish there were many freinds who play warhammer 40k like me.:(

Crube
18-03-2007, 16:05
Started off playing WFRP, then got into WFB (this would be back in, ooooohhh, 1988 or so maybe...)

from there, I went for a job in GW and found out that you had to play 40K too, so I bought a copy at the interview (must've worked)

Having said that, I gave up at the release of the latest version due to not having the time or money for 2 different game systems, so I stuck with WFB...

I envisage returning to 40K sometime in the next year - maybe when the next non Marine army is released....

obithius
18-03-2007, 17:36
Spacehulk did it for me and quite a few others I know.One you got bored with the figures in the box you went out and got a few new terminators,maybe some marines in power armour,before you knew it you had a marine army!

Aurellis
18-03-2007, 17:42
I got interested in 40k when i was 13/14 or so through a few friends and loved the Blood Angels minis at the time, I wasn't able to start collecting due to the cost but 5 years later I'm able to meet the costs very easily. I started off with Salamanders after reading all about their primarch Vulkan and later started off my now main army, the Tau.

Melta Pants
18-03-2007, 17:47
When I was 8 years old, my mom took a trip to England. She was gone for a few weeks, and when she got back to the States, she had a gift for me. She had stopped off in what she described as a 'little out of the way game shop'. She got me a magazine she thought I might like.

Lo and Behold, it was the very WD that heralded the release of 2nd Edition 40k, the one that came with the free space marine and had the 2nd edition box art on the cover, the amazing John Blanche piece with the Blood Angels fighting Orks. I have been hooked ever since. I probably read and reread the Andy Chambers/Jervis Johnson battle report dozens of times, and immediately began collecting back issues of WD at my local game shop. The rest is history.

Het Masteen
18-03-2007, 23:50
I had a pal who bought the Rogue Trader Rules back in 87. There was a box set out at the time. I think it was Imperial Fists and Orks. He let me be the Space Marines and I was hooked. We lost touch when we went to college in 1990 and I'd think about it now and again. Early last year a friend of my wife mentioned the fact that her 12 year old son had bought the Macragge set and couldn't really understand it. Once I looked at it I was hooked again.

fwacho
19-03-2007, 00:11
Back in '98 I was a junior in college and workign during the summer and paying for school out of stock my parents had bought when I was young. I had about $200 semester that I let my self spend be it donuts, movies or pieces.

A rfiend of mine who kept a real scottish claymore under his matress picked up a 3rd. ed. starter kit. Very soon I was playing Darkeldar and tryign to figure out the rules (it was a small town and nearst game store was 2 1/2 hours away) the gorls would laugh at us while we argued the finer points of the law and we made quite a few long-distance phone calls to a GW store in Ohio to clariy things.

It eventually dawned on me that the dark eldar weren't very fun if all you had were warriors. Well my future brother in-law got me a discount on some battle fleet gothic and i did that for a while before coming back to 40k with my own space marines. In two years time I owned 2 fully painted armies eldar, space marines... and had trained up an ork player and a BA player.

the rest is history.

natedogg710
19-03-2007, 01:24
It all started about a year ago....

Me and my friends were going to our local Indy Store to buy boosters for a game called Star Wars Miniatures. After going there a few times and seeing the people playing 40k, I became interested and started playing Eldar.

The first models I bought were 2x Wraithguard, which I still use in my army. I didn't actually seriously start playing and buying models until about 6 months ago.

Gutlord Grom
19-03-2007, 02:57
It's an interesting story that involves me getting me punched.
Well, as I remember,it was in the summer of 2003, my first year working at a Cub Scout day camp(Ihate them:mad: .)
Well, one day one of the staff lost all his Magic the Gathering decks. He was going a wee bit insane looking for them. Finally, I decided it might be good idea to calm him down. I tap him on the shoulder and tell him"Your taking this way to hard, and way to far."
I end up a few centimeters above the ground after a swift punch to the gut. (As it turns out, one of the adults had taken them from him because they were too distracting)Im not quite sure I hit the ground, but suffice to say I was very close.
After a long drawn out conversation, where he nearly gets kicked out of the Boy Scouts I go on with life.
On the last day of camp, he decides to invite me to the local gaming Store: the now departed Rising Phoenix. So I go in, see the shiny stuff and I'm hooked. I loved the Guard, bought their old Codex(I thought it was the new one:cries: )
After a while I realize I would hate painting so many models, I decide to with Space Marines, and the rest is history.

glowing in the dark
19-03-2007, 10:38
Firstly by Space crusade computer game, then by the board game, and from there it's all legend...

One_Second_of_Insanity
19-03-2007, 10:45
ok this goes back a while. my cousin got space crusade for his birthday when i was about 7 or 8, whenever i went over there we used to play, it was great fun (even though he was older and always rigged it to win) my parents saw how much i loved playing so they got it for me for christmas, from then on i was hooked. i didnt start playing 40k proper until i was about 13 but we didnt have a gw store until i was 15 so i got the occasional blister pack from local games and hobby stores. my collection has now grown out of hand (almost) but i love playing modelling and painting the select few armies i have under my belt. orks, eldar, deathwing and tyranids

Ardathair
20-03-2007, 05:22
A friend of mine in high school introduced me to Warhammer 40,000 in 1988, about the same time some other friends of mine were getting into recreational chemistry. I sometimes wonder if I didn't choose the wrong group of friends to associate with. Those into recreational chemistry have more kids, no wives and prison records as opposed to a bunch of plastic and metal toys, and old books.:D

insectum7
20-03-2007, 07:00
Battletech was becoming too tedious, and the metal Ultramarine Dreadnaught was released in White Dwarf 182 (I think). That thing was so damn cool compared to everything else I had seen before. Marines have been my main army ever since.

PrinnySquad
20-03-2007, 07:27
I can't really remeber, though its was about 5 years ago. I lost interest for about 4 years, and started again last September, after rembering I had some Tau after playing Dawn of War.

bram kuijpers
20-03-2007, 07:50
i saw a few teens play it when i was 11 then i started fantasy orc,s then i went for the gaurd.

cgriffin81
20-03-2007, 08:01
a freind got me started in 99 with fantasy then he gave his gaurd in 04

(Evil)Ash
20-03-2007, 12:47
The Space Crusade and hero quest board games. that must be about 12 years ago now. good god, imagine how much money I would've saved if I'd never started:eek:

Torga_DW
21-03-2007, 21:24
Well for me it started with heroquest as a kid, a joint gw-milton bradley? boardgame to introduce GW stuff into the mainstream (where i lived). Then they later came out with Space Crusade, which i of course dived right into. Then one day many months or years later i discovered white dwarf magazine. Shortly there after i was hooked and have been playing 40k ever since. To put the timeline in some sort of perspective, i still have the rogue trader rulebook from 1st edition.

stevo333
21-03-2007, 21:44
Man... I remember hero quest... that was an awesome game. It's funny, ever since getting into 40k all if ever used hero quest for was spare parts for conversions and the like. Might be worth going back and playing that...

Ormus
21-03-2007, 22:16
Back when I was 11, I got into the pokemon card collecting craze that most of the kids my age seem to have been embroiled in. The local gaming shop happened to be right next to the store where I bought the cards, so I pretty much just went over and started looking at the minis one day and then decided that I wanted to play. I started off with a small practically straight from the starter box orc fantasy army and then switched to chaos when I realized how many minis I'd be having to paint (not a big fan of painting).

For a few years, me and two other friends just played fantasy on the weekends, until we eventually caught on to the fact that most of the other players in town were doing 40k, at which point switching over just seemed natural.

I've never had a full 40k army though. I used to do these tiny 500 point games with word bearers, then started building a Thousand Sons army and then gave up when I started going to university. I'm pretty set on getting back into the hobby this summer, but I've yet to actually build the army; pretty much just working out lists and trying to figure out the conversions that I'll need to do at this point.

Grymlok
21-03-2007, 22:39
I got Hero Quest as a Christmas present from my parents in 1989. A few years later I asked for Space Crusade as I'd played Hero Quest and all the expansions to death. I went into the nearest GW store to get Space Crusade at the end of 93, and me and my brother ended up getting a boxed set of 40k mini's each (he got a box of Grey Hunters and I got World Eaters). We also got the game box, which back then came with 80 models! (20 Space Marines, 20 Goff Orks and 40 Gretchin.) you also got a cardboard cut out thing with a picture an ork killa kan that you could use as a "counts as"! brilliant. Took forever to learn the rules back then. Think there was a heap of cardboard scenery too, and a plethora of counters- the best being the Vortex grenade!!!!!!!!

Jorap41
21-03-2007, 23:01
Around the summer of 2000, my brother and a mutual friend returned from a trip to California, USA and had visited a Games Workshop store there. They both had already picked armies, and wanted me to do the same. I got lucky and picked the Chaos Space Marines. Assault armies were a lot of fun in the 3rd edition. Seven years later I have owned every army except the Tyranids and Space Marines. I guess I have the sickness bad, and combined with my army commitment issues it has really cost me. I do not regret the time spent on the hobby. I can think of a lot of worse ways to have spent the time.

My interest wanders easily, but my heart and soul will always belong to the Dark Gods of Chaos. Death to the false emperor!

Zedric
22-03-2007, 07:00
When I was very young, I used to take the catalogs (free at the time) home to look at the pretty pretty miniatures.

Then I picked up the brand new Angels of Death Codex and never looked back. Well, that is until WarCraft: Orcs & Humans was released, then I picked up Codex: Orks and REALLY never looked back.

Rhinosaur
22-03-2007, 07:13
For me it was kind of a chain reaction. It started with the Tolkien books. Then to the original hero quest. Then WHFB. I went away to school and left the fantasy stuff with my brothers. Still wanted to do something while away at school so I got into 40k. Necromunda followed. Short stints with space hulk, and gorkamorka. (I also like D&D but don't know anyone else who is into it.) Now I have at least 11 armies and play 40k and WHFB. Actually I still play Heroquest with my 6 year old son about 5 times a week. Its never too early to start the brainwashing! Hopefully I'll have a new opponent(maybe when he is ten or so) in a few years!

Lancaster
22-03-2007, 07:17
My brother was short on funds for the 3rd edition starter set...

I offered to float him half if he paid me back

He payed me back with the SM :(

I was peeved, but I decided to look on the brighter side of things....
then I got the necron codex and a box of warriors.... and it had begun

Jellicoe
22-03-2007, 09:09
Had been playing fantasy since 1st/2nd edition and then in 88 they brought out this scifi version with a big box of 30 marines for a tenner and so it began.

Wilderness years during 90's (which were usefully spent playing other wargames and broadening ones wargaming horizon) and returned to 40k in 2001 with the new Tyranids. Now returning to fantasy for the first time since 3rd ed - quite a lot seems to have changed!

Venomizer
22-03-2007, 09:59
I got into 40k via my older brother

at first I couldn't really find an army I liked until the Necron box was released towards 2nd editions death and then it was just dabbling - the very occaisional game

I seriously got into it not long after the release of the 3rd edition Tau book, after seeing that my bro gave me a destroyer lord, 2 boxes of necron warriors & the codex and from there the midnight sun was born

MaxORK
22-03-2007, 10:03
Played first edition BloodBowl and slowly crept through the entire GW range from there.

Kinda went;
BloodBowl
SpaceCrusade
Hero Quest
Spacehulk
Advanced Space Crusade (Rubbish!)
WHFB
WH40k

And here I am, possibly 17 years ish gaming and only 2 fully painted armies haha :D

sukigod
23-03-2007, 14:46
I started playing war games and D&D back in 1979, been playing all sorts of "alternative" games since. Seems that through the years it would be natural that I would come across it eventually. My favorite tactical game at the time was Battletech (since Battledroids).

My best friend and I both went into the military at the same time, in 1987. One of his buddies where he was stationed played and got him hooked. He brought it back with him and got the rest of us playing when we all got out. That was about 1995, we've all played 40K as our major gaming fulfilment since then.

niknokitueu
23-03-2007, 15:01
I got dragged into 40k, kicking and screaming.
Basically, all my friends were playing it, and playing nothing else. I had the option of playing it myself or finding new friends.

It only took 1 game to hook me. Now (5 years later) I have almost 10,000 points of 40k goodness.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Codsticker
23-03-2007, 15:08
We used to sit around playing poker or going to the local strip joint when one day, the nerdiest of us said: "My wife bought me this game for Christmas- do you guys wanna try it?" We decided to give it a go.

eldaran
23-03-2007, 15:14
started playing with my friends at the close of 2nd ed-the start of 3rd ed. Quit until two years ago (and i still haven't rebuilt my army...:cries: )

Curufew
23-03-2007, 15:28
About 2 years ago, went into a shop selling computer games. Saw Dawn of War and bought it. Went home, installed it and saw the intro. Was hooked onto it.
Fast forward 1 year, saved enough money and started a Tau army. Now I got around 1.8 K of Tau and 700 pts of Angels of Absolution

OnesToHit
23-03-2007, 17:00
About 3-4 years back I wandered into a GW in the mall (now defunct as of, last fall i believe) and saw people playing. I thought it was pretty cool and was vaguely interested, went to my brothers and then went to the local game store in his town (Game Depot I believe) and bought a Captain and a Veteran seargent to learn to paint.

6 months later, crappy paint job and I go into GW to take a painting class they offered (before that buisness with the model carrying case) and the guy talked me into a beginners game that they did. I played Black Legion and fell in love with the Khorne Berzerkers after carving through an Assault Squad and a Tactical Squad before the GW employee charged them with a dreadnought.

3 weeks later I buy a box of Berzerkers and learn to play.

Now I can field close to 3000 points of World Eater goodness and play every thursday, this game is more expensive than a drug habit and almost as addicting but I'm glad I found it

Roflercoaster
23-03-2007, 18:24
Waaaay back when I was in.. erm.. 3th grade? (I'm 21 now) :p I used to play MtG at this game store.. and I saw a few people playing 40k, so I couldn't resist starting my own army! I started with an Ultramarines army, like I'm sure half the people who play 40k started with. Haha.

Kalesh of Altansar
23-03-2007, 18:36
I was out of 40k for 8 years. So comming back to the new rules changes were kind of hard at first. I used to play Ultramarines. This time around I am back and playing Eldar. The reason I got back into 40k was because I had grown bored with the online games. It is more enjoyable to get back to seeing people and talking to them. I found a great local hobby shop and a great gamer society. I am now playing Eldar and will be playing Dark Elves in regular Warhammer.

Grimshawl
23-03-2007, 19:16
Looooooooooooong Ago, I bought the Space Hulk game at my local comic shop, played with it thru that summer with a few friends and eventaully bought a bunch of space wolves and the two space hulk expansions, tyranid attack and eventually got into 40k mainstream thru my experiences with the background thru that original Space Hulk box. that was all before 90 if I recall correctly.

Matt Stone
23-03-2007, 19:50
I started playing war games and D&D back in 1979, been playing all sorts of "alternative" games since. Seems that through the years it would be natural that I would come across it eventually. My favorite tactical game at the time was Battletech (since Battledroids).

My best friend and I both went into the military at the same time, in 1987. One of his buddies where he was stationed played and got him hooked. He brought it back with him and got the rest of us playing when we all got out. That was about 1995, we've all played 40K as our major gaming fulfilment since then.

Wow. Nearly identical story for me... I was heading to Korea on my first PCS tour in 1989, and, after having had my fill of RPGs over the previous years (played no end of D&D, Twilight 2000, and Top Secret while stationed in GA), I stopped in to the same store I'd frequented since I was 13 or so to pick up some things to keep me busy in the ROK.

I bought a 2 Land Raider box set, a box of Beakies, a box of Orks, and the RT rules. I haven't looked back since...

TheEndIsHere
24-03-2007, 02:58
Ok I have this uncle that I very rarely see (about once every 2 years) and when I was 10 he came, brought me in a GW I was AMAZED and I rembmer seeing one model that I have never reseen (can you tell me if he really exists: for those who've seen the disney movie Hercules he's very much like the Ice Titan, with red eyes... about the height of a C'Tan). Two years later he comes back with 2 codexes IG and Necrons, I didn't know the rules but I read that necron codex like I did, then the day before he left *about 2 weeks had passed* he tell me to go outside with him, he opens the car trunk and I see: 1 Necron Codex, 1 Necron Battle Force, Black Primmer, 1 40k Rulebook, he says in his deep calm voice: "Those are for your birth day in 2 weeks, you can read the codex all you want, but wait for your birth day for the rest and look surprised"

He was my favorite uncle ever since. "haven't seen him sicne then but might be coming in 2 months!!!"

After 2 years I have a almost fully painted (******* you MONOLITH) 4000points necron army and still never played a game...

TheEndIsHere

Rhamag
24-03-2007, 03:49
Started with Warhammer Roleplay in 1990 on a whim at school one day, expanded into Advanced Heroquest, Space Hulk, Space Marine (Epic), Mighty Empires, Man o' War and, of course, Warhammer. But never 40K for some unknown reason. Stopped playing for Birds n' Booze in 1992 for 12 years, then started back aged 27 with LoTR, Warhammer (again) and now 40K.

And 40K is my favourite (with Mordheim and Necromunda!).

verydarkshadow
24-03-2007, 04:14
I was hooked from LotR! I knew of Space Marines for a while, but never really bothered to find out what those sweet looking soilders were untill a year or so after doing LotR. Actually, it was the Tau vs Salamander city fight battle report that finally did it to me! That report was just class.

Andrus
24-03-2007, 05:38
Like Zedric, I used to admire the minatures thinking how cool they were. I just started getting into them and make my own army. :o

the_dark_sarge
24-03-2007, 07:32
got the warhammer starter pack (brettionians vs lizardmen) and a copy of white dwarf for xmas a long time ago
i loved the new catachan models so much i decided to play 40k instead

kieran

Carlos
24-03-2007, 08:27
SPACE CRUSADE!

My best friend had it for a while and I got a copy for Christmas and this started the ball rolling. I got the Eldar Attack supplement too and this led to the 8000pts eldar army sitting on my shelf.