PDA

View Full Version : Outriders

drdenner
15-03-2007, 20:32
They are fast cavalry, and armed with repeater handguns, so what good are they if they cant move and fire?

Shadow-Under-Rock
15-03-2007, 20:42
You can get them to a good fireing position and unleash 15 BS 0 shots the following turn (just before there killed by a pack of maraudering gnoblar trappers)

chaos_core
15-03-2007, 20:44
should be in tactics realy

1. leave them in your line to just shoot

2. use them to flank the enermy and shoot move and fire creates a prob here
keeping up

3. stand and shoot risky tactic but the amout of shots you get nasty

4. you caa give champ a grenade launcher or a long rifle :)

5. just take pistoliers if you want true fast cavery

jullevi
15-03-2007, 20:45
Fast cavalry rule gives them 360 Line of Sight for shooting and makes them more manouevrable if they need to change their position.

Other than that perhaps the most important reason to consider taking outriders is their shots per frontage ratio (aka frontage effectiveness), which is way better than handgunners'.

Negativemoney
15-03-2007, 20:49
Also don't forget that they are BS4 with a BS5 Champion that can get a Long Rifle.

Greyfire
15-03-2007, 21:47
The 360 isn't as cool as I'd hoped it would be - see
Fast Cavalry LOS with itself (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73622) for my reasons. I'm used to skirmishers shooting through their own guys, but fast cav doesn't get to do that. Still this is a unit that can shoot both to it's front and rear with 15 shots.

And like jullevi said, they are very manouevrable and fast - the full 16" movement range gets them on my opponents side in one turn. That's not something that my Empire is used to having. As long as I can keep them out of charge arc, they could be useful for march blocking too.

In my four games this weekend, twice I used them to flank and shoot units up, both to good effect, once I tried the stand'n'shoot tactic with hardly any success (1+ saves make these guys a little weak and being charged on turn 2 meant they only had one round of shooting before chaos knights wiped them out), and once they were just plain in the wrong place at the wrong time (ie, I made a mistake in setup).

I plan to use mine to harass my enemies flanks - maybe even to just distract him to focus on them so that the rest of my forces can get where they need to be. Getting off a few shots in the process would be great too - but pistoliers might be a better choice for that type of thing. One other thing I plan to do with them is hold/contest table quarters. Shooting from the behind the enemy in his table quarters means they're serving double-duty. Of course, pistoliers can do that just as well, I guess, but I think the outriders have a better chance of just obliterating smaller units that might be left behind to hold table quarters.

Just leaving them on my battle line and shooting with them like normal gunners - hmmmmm - fairly obvious but I hadn't thought of doing that. I was really focused on using their fast cav effect in my games even if it didn't make good sense. That could have been very nice against the ogres I fought. Good suggestion.

Happy hunting!

-=- Steve

Atrahasis
15-03-2007, 21:50
A tactic which has paid of for me takes advantage of Feigned Flight. The outriders move up the field into a chargeable position. If charged, they flee to rally and shoot next turn. If not charged, they fire or move to a more favourable position.

Greyfire
15-03-2007, 22:59
A tactic which has paid of for me takes advantage of Feigned Flight. The outriders move up the field into a chargeable position. If charged, they flee to rally and shoot next turn. If not charged, they fire or move to a more favourable position.

I like the feigned flight tactic too, but with their move-or-fire weapons I get hosed a little on the turn they rally since they still count as moving. It'll be one more turn before they can shoot. But that lets them get to better firing position, or at least out of the charge arc of your opponent and that's always a good thing for these guys.

-=- Greyfire

simonhaZe
16-03-2007, 10:58

Yeah they still count as having moved when they rally, if not, outriders actually would've been good.

sulla
16-03-2007, 19:00
Yeah they still count as having moved when they rally, if not, outriders actually would've been good.

They are very good. They are handgunners that don't need a hill to deploy on (because the front rank fires enough shots on it's own) and can reposition up to 16" as fast cav instead of 8" as infantry. They are more than powerful enough to wipe out fast cav or monsters for only a bit over 100pts of outlay.

If you want mobile harrassers, they are not for you. If you want more gunline flexibility they are perfect.

Benji550
20-03-2007, 21:50
The Fast Cavalry rule means they move fast if they need to but at the same time they shoot 360-degrees meaning that the enemy can'taviod them by moving into a flank arc.