PDA

View Full Version : Tooled out Armies.

Ward.
16-03-2007, 02:59
okay this isn't really a thread for cheesey stuff, although your welcome to have your input. what i really want to see is effective Combinations of equipment and tactics that aren't commonly used or seen (that includes things like units and spell and item combinations) and how you have/want to use them.

An example would be the skink chief + scout + The staff of the lost sun with some skinks, pretty much designed to kill war machine crew of the dwarf variety but could be expanded upon for other races as well, "I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'd like to see the results"

Ps. I don't know if that could work anyway.

Wings of Doom
16-03-2007, 16:31
Brahmir Statue and Daemonkiller Scars in one unit (thats ogres).
Rending Sword and Bindings of Slaanesh, or Blade of Blood and Amulet of Slaanesh on Slaaneshi lords.
There're plenty of threads about decent combinations in the depths of the forum, and if you do a search you're sure to find some.

damiengore
16-03-2007, 20:36
I contemplated taking an Ogre BSB with the Runemaw banner and A tyrant with 3 Gnoblar Thiefstones in 2 big blocks of Ogre Bulls. This would effectively give both units a Magic resistance of 3! but would limit their manueverability.

MarcoPollo
16-03-2007, 21:18
This is an excellent thread. Perhaps it is too large and some rules questions might arise out of it. Perhaps a thread for each army would work well for people to reference if they were to search for it.

At any rate:

Chaos:

1) Exalted hero, Helm of many eyes, great weapon leading marauders with la/hw/shield. Excellent value for the points. Excellent value as a general in lower point armies.

2) Chaos Lord of slaanesh on some sort of steed with bindings of slaanesh, rending sword. Very nasty and can hold up entire units with all the overkill it gets.

3) Wargor of tzeetch--BSB -- vitriolic totem in a huge beastherd (8gor/16+ungor). It can take on everything, especially if you add another wargor with a great weapon. Good value too.

4) Beast Chariots: cheap and just as effective as mortal ones.

5) Warhounds: mastering the art of warhounding and watch your win totals start to pour in. And no cries of cheese for a measly little 30 pt unit.

Lizards:

1) two units of cold one knights. One has the huanichi banner, while the other has the warbanner. Your opponent will not know which one has each banner. This can really mess up his movement plans. Creating doubt in the opponents mind allows you to sieze initiative. But require alot of advanced planning to pull off well.

2) although a 2nd gen slann is a masterful caster, you can only take one unit of lizzies with them. For a huge pile of cheese, take a 3rd gen and 2X3 salamander hunting packs. Ooh, la, la...

3) Jaguar Saurus of Doom with great weapon and the mark of "itzl" yes I said Itzl -- the one that allow you to ride the cold one. Although this means nothing in terms of points (5points) this allows you to join a cold one unit, couple this with the huanichi banner on the unit and you can really rock (even a frontal charge will usually break a unit plus he can be protected after he pursues behind the enemy after his unit breaks and is destroyed).

Empire:

1) Captain, with bow, great weapon, and rod of command in a moderate sized unit of bowmen. Because they skirmish, you can usually get a good matchup if they are charged. Take a champion to avoid the bloodiest of challenges. This helps you screen your troops while they get into better positions and is excellent at baiting out more expensive units expecting to break this measly unit of skirmishers, plus you get to stand and shoot. Then flank and start to outmanouver his army. A great parry-riposte for your front line.

Ward.
17-03-2007, 15:33
Brahmir Statue and Daemonkiller Scars in one unit (thats ogres).
Rending Sword and Bindings of Slaanesh, or Blade of Blood and Amulet of Slaanesh on Slaaneshi lords.
There're plenty of threads about decent combinations in the depths of the forum, and if you do a search you're sure to find some.

Yeah i had figured there might be, but it was late and i wasn't really looking for common combinations, just ones people had used or though about using and what they might imagine it would be for. just kind of a way not to be surprised when someone pulls it on me in a game or anyone for that matter.
Oh and for when we proxy other races, when thinking about starting a new army. :) thanks for the advice tho.

and it might do well to have one for each race actually
but i think it might limit the melting pot, as some tactics used by one race could be mimicked by another and *i* (that means i haven't gotten anyone else's opinion yet) would like to see people learning something that isn't really considered common knowledge about other's army's, and it could probably be added to another thread afterwards :).

but all very helpful indeed.

chivalrous
17-03-2007, 17:35
A fairly simple one I like to field is a High elf Mage with the Staff of Sorcery for +2 to dispell.
(If a Mage Lord then I'll add a couple of power stones to fuel Drain Magic in subsequent rounds.)
Use this in tandem with another Mage with the Annulian crystal to really scupper an opponents magic phase.

ebolatheripe
19-03-2007, 08:26
I'm still curious as to if I can make the combination of a mounted Aspiring Champion if Tzeentch accompanying a unit of 9 Marauder Horsemen work. I know it would be very fragile, but it would also be a supremely versatile and fast unit. Would need to be screened by hounds and would need some more threatening units to take the brunt of shooting, but if I could get it to work :evilgrin: ........

I'm dying to try out a 2000pt mounted Tzeentchian Chaos list with one or two of these units in it.

MarcoPollo
20-03-2007, 02:09
A fairly simple one I like to field is a High elf Mage with the Staff of Sorcery for +2 to dispell.
(If a Mage Lord then I'll add a couple of power stones to fuel Drain Magic in subsequent rounds.)
Use this in tandem with another Mage with the Annulian crystal to really scupper an opponents magic phase.

This also works well with a slann mage. Very handy against TK.

Benji550
20-03-2007, 22:05
Strigoi Vampire Thrall with Bat Form and a unit of Fell Bats means that they all fly around the board and the Thrall gets four strength five attacks at weapon skill six hil Bats have two attacks a piece at weapon skill three and strength three.

TheWarSmith
21-03-2007, 03:03
Brahmir statue and then the panic spell from the butcher on the appropriate army is just NASTY. Pull it out last and they probably won't expect it, then you tell them "oh, your panic test is at -3 btw"

Lord Dan
21-03-2007, 03:54
Arch Lector of Sigmar, Armor of meteoric iron, holy relic, van horstmann's speculum, great weapon.

With a 1+ armor save and a 4+ ward save, he's a tough guy to break down. Also, in a challenge he switches the stats of his enemy with his own. Because his stats aren't very good (two attacks as WS4) you end up almost always getting the better end of the deal.

The prayers are awfully fun, too.

Makarion
22-03-2007, 02:38
Strigoi Vampire Thrall with Bat Form and a unit of Fell Bats means that they all fly around the board and the Thrall gets four strength five attacks at weapon skill six hil Bats have two attacks a piece at weapon skill three and strength three.

Flying characters cannot join flying units. I discovered it the other day, and it's made a fair difference with our resident chaos furies no longer accompanied by Exalted ugliness. My handgunners are mucho happy.

Makarion
22-03-2007, 02:44
Arch Lector of Sigmar, Armor of meteoric iron, holy relic, van horstmann's speculum, great weapon.

With a 1+ armor save and a 4+ ward save, he's a tough guy to break down. Also, in a challenge he switches the stats of his enemy with his own. Because his stats aren't very good (two attacks as WS4) you end up almost always getting the better end of the deal.

The prayers are awfully fun, too.

Why the relic? His war altar already gives him a 5+ ward save, and a +2 to his regular armour save. I generally prefer heavy armour, VHS, shield of the Gorgon (so your opponent has 1 attack in a challenge), and Sword of Sigismund (for first strike, to deal with troops) or Aldred's Casket of Sorcery if that's not on another character.

If you want to go all defensive, you can always try war alter (of course - why take an arch lector otherwise?), Dawn Armour, Enchanted Shield, Doomfire Ring. Rerollable 1+ armour save, and a 5+ ward save just in case, plus 4 bound spells per turn. That's a pretty well-protected caster.

arc
22-03-2007, 08:39
Chaos:

1) Exalted hero, Helm of many eyes, great weapon leading marauders with la/hw/shield. Excellent value for the points. Excellent value as a general in lower point armies.

My favourite