PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 1000pts, to fight dwarves in particular.

Triumph Of Man
16-03-2007, 06:12
Ok, So I'm rushing to get a decent force together so I can tackle some dwarves in particular. First off, I understand both that the natural dispel abilities of dwarves and the low points level really hamstring TK, but I'd like to get this together so I can at least play some games and get some experience while I finish painting my Chaos army.

Lich Priest: 135pts
Hieratic Jar

Tomb Prince: 187 pts
Spear of Antarhak? (the healing one)
Enchanted Shield
Light Armour
Chariot

Chariots: 120 pts
3 Chariots

Skeleton Bowmen: 80pts
10 Skeletons with bows

Skeleton Warriors: 180pts
20 Skeletons with Hand Weapons, Light Armour and Shields

Ushabti: 195 pts
3 Ushabti

Screaming Skull Catapult: 80pts

Total: 987pts

So I have 13 pts left, what should I get? Just chuck another Skellie in somewhere? Or is there a little bit of wargear I've over looked?

Most of all, do I have a hope in hell against dwarves? Looking at probably fighting an army with X2 blocks of 20 dwarves, 1 Block of 10, a Bolt Thrower, A group of thunderers and Quarrelers and a Thane and Slayer Hero.

Coming to switching out stuff and making changes, this is working towards my 2250pts list, so I'm limited to a few things. Pretty much all I could swap in is more skellies, SSC catapults, Carrion or a Tomb Scorp.

Tutore
16-03-2007, 06:52
IŽll go for a tomb scorpion for sure. Look: your skeletons with bows wonŽt do a casualty in the entire game (perhaps 1!); the chariots risk landing on a unit of warriors crashing themselves and less more. IŽll get another unit of skeletons with hand weapon and shields. The screaming skull catapult should be upgraded to cause panic: I know dwarves wonŽt flee easily, but a little bit of luck is all you need to win.

Triumph Of Man
16-03-2007, 07:15
Yeah, point taken. I'll switch the bowmen out for a Tomb Scorp who can hopefully make a mess out of the Dwarven firing line.

I'm a little wary of changing the Chariots out for Skellies. Granted they tarpit like nothing else, but if they're busy tying up Dwarves they're not going to kill them (not that they would anyway), and that would leave only the Ushabti to do damage. Also my Prince on a Chariot would be a sitting duck without their help.

the chariots risk landing on a unit of warriors crashing themselves and less more.

Crashing themselves? I didn't think Chariots spontaneously broke apart in WFB.

EDIT: Damn, If I drop the archers I don't have enough Core choices. Uhg, I'm gonna have to make a hard choice pretty soon, can anyone throw in some more advice please as to which way I should go?

Tutore
16-03-2007, 07:40
As I said "crashing themselves" I meant that after the first round of combat, where ItŽs unlikely you will break his lines, the chariots are very weak and will lose combat by far. Anyway you are right saying that the tomb prince needs support. Beware also of his S7 (with a simple rune) bolt thrower: youŽll lose one chariot before getting in combat, or perhaps 2. 2 tarpit units of skellies with HW&S would be an intelligent pick, just put the prince in one unit and the priest in the other, good for the ushabti choice, one tomb scorpion, the catapult (upgraded). If I did correctly my math, you are around 1030 points this way, just drop one magic item (the spear?) and you are ready.

Triumph Of Man
16-03-2007, 08:00
As I said "crashing themselves" I meant that after the first round of combat, where ItŽs unlikely you will break his lines, the chariots are very weak and will lose combat by far. Anyway you are right saying that the tomb prince needs support. Beware also of his S7 (with a simple rune) bolt thrower: youŽll lose one chariot before getting in combat, or perhaps 2. 2 tarpit units of skellies with HW&S would be an intelligent pick, just put the prince in one unit and the priest in the other, good for the ushabti choice, one tomb scorpion, the catapult (upgraded). If I did correctly my math, you are around 1030 points this way, just drop one magic item (the spear?) and you are ready.

Ah ok, Yeah, I'll go with your advice then. Just on the hand weapon though, Maybe if I popped a great weapon on the Prince I'd be better off? Just from a pure killy aspect?

Tutore
16-03-2007, 08:20
Ah ok, Yeah, I'll go with your advice then. Just on the hand weapon though, Maybe if I popped a great weapon on the Prince I'd be better off? Just from a pure killy aspect?

Exactly: a cheap great weapon instead of a magic weapon.

DeathlessDraich
16-03-2007, 08:20
I agree with Tutore. You need a Scorpion and
chariots are very vulnerable against cannons and an upgraded bolt thrower.

Some suggestions:
1) Drop the whole chariot unit and the chariot for the Prince.
2) Reduce one unit of skellies - 2 units of 10 bowmen
3) Add another Liche Priest - TK needs to be strong in the magic phase
4) Give the Prince a GWeapon and a Ward save
5) Add a Tomb Guard unit with Banner of Undying legion - with the TPrince in the unit they will be a major threat to most dwarf units

Tutore
16-03-2007, 08:25
Interesting solution Draich, although the 160 points of bowmen are completely wasted, I donŽt like wasted points in a list. The tomb guard unit is a good solution tough.

Triumph Of Man
16-03-2007, 08:35
Lich Priest: 140pts
Hieratic Jar

Tomb Prince: 106 pts
Great Weapon
Light Armour

Tomb Scorpion: 85pts

Ushabti: 195pts
3 Ushabti

Screaming Skull Catapult: 110 pts
Skulls of the Foe

Total: 996 pts

Ok, there might be something I could take instead of Skulls of the Foe, in particular an extra Liche would be nice, but I just can't see where I can shave the points to get my hands on one.

Tomb Guard are unfortunately impossible for me, they aren't part of the 2250 pts force I'm building.

An alternative list:

Lich Priest: 145pts
Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations

Lich Priest: 115pts

Tomb Prince: 106 pts
Great Weapon
Light Armour

Skeleton Archers: 80pts
10 Skeletons with Bows

Tomb Scorpion: 85pts

Ushabti: 195pts
3 Ushabti

Screaming Skull Catapult: 90 pts

Total: 996 pts

Tutore
16-03-2007, 08:44
It could, but you are dropping also the hieratic jar: not a good idea. Your goal should be unleashing 3 spells every turn, thinking that the dwarf player will counter 2.

Triumph Of Man
16-03-2007, 08:50
The Hieratic Jar is a one shot item. By dropping it I've made room for an extra priest who can cast an extra spell every turn. So this way I've got 3 Incantations per turn, one from each character. I'm thinking of throwing the Neferra's Plaques on a priest to allow me to re-roll a bad incantation.

Tutore
16-03-2007, 09:04
Any of the two solutions is good.

Triumph Of Man
16-03-2007, 11:33
Well, unless anyone else has any other criticisms, I'm going to run with the 2 Liche and a Prince list.