PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Campeigns

huitzilopochtli
16-03-2007, 10:41
Ok, myself and a few friends want to start a campeign this summer, but we have really no idea on how to run one. We'd like to do one using a map, (because it wud look cool having it hanging on a wall!!), but organising the rules is a problem. any suggestions anyone?

SkawtheFalconer
16-03-2007, 11:06
To run a campaign effectivdly, you really need to have a "games master" who doesn't actually participate, otherwise they would know where certain special hidden things are on the map, etc. One way around that is to have the GM play as a "wandering warband", which doesn't actually gain territorial advantages but fights anyone in the area (kind of like a neutral party). Its not impossible to have the organiser play, but its something you might want to think about.

You'd need to figure out how to move squares - you might say you get to move two squares a week or something like that, fighting a battle with someone you come into contact with - or alternatively only move forward a square when you win a game. You'd then want to decide what each square does for you, ie gives you more points, allows you to field an extra special unit, a mercenary unit, whatever.

Location is obviously important. I've played in Island wide, old world wide, and city wide map campaigns - size of armies is obviously signif.

Just let your imagination go. But the important thing is not to make it unbalanced. For instance, if one person starts in one corner of the board then they shouldn't have an enormous advantage over someone who starts elsewhere.

the1stpip
16-03-2007, 11:09
Go and buy the General's Compendium. Full of great ideas, and four or five different campaign types. Great buy for 20...

Brother Axel
16-03-2007, 11:09
Hi there

if you can get hold of it the Generals Compendium holds some good ideas and suggestions. There's also the rules for an interesting map based campaign.

cheers
Brother Axel

WarbossKurgan
16-03-2007, 12:55
To run a campaign effectivdly, you really need to have a "games master" who doesn't actually participate

You really don't.

As long as it's set up so random events that can happen to everyone, including the GM, then every one has access to the same info. The "secret" things in the campaign don't acually have to be secret from the players - as long as no body knows where or when things will happen!

You would probably be better off not using the map to decide who can fight who. I've run quite a few campaigns and the ones that fail have always been the ones where two players have to have there battle before anything else can happen... and they don't (for what ever reason).

kyussinchains
16-03-2007, 12:59
mighty empires is what you need! fortunately they'll be re-releasing it in the summer so you can campaign to your heart's content!

mikeydanuke2003
16-03-2007, 16:04
I joined a WHFB Campaign that re-started last month. The way the game goes is basically like this:

The Gamemaster sets up the map, and allocates the countries there-in. He does not actually "play" a Player-Nation (PN). In the event that a PN attacks a Non-player nation (also referred to as a Neutral NAtion - NN) another player will run the NN's armies, or the Gamemaster will.
PN Armies start at a certain strength, ~2500 pts. As battles are fought, won or lost, the strength of an army may fall. NN's armies start at ~2,000 pts. There is a system of re-inforcements allocated. Players score points by conquering other countries, acquiring "strategic Resource points", or by having a large army.
There is a system for doing Campaign Map battle roll offs, but battles are also generated when armies attack each other, these are fought on a tabletop as time and space permit. Usaually a player is allocated one of his own Army's battle a week, and the other as roll-offs.
Battles are frequently lopsided, last week I fought a 2-1 vrs Orcs*, and Next week I expect to fight a 2-1 vrs Nekrca Vampires. However, I did see a battle at the tail end of the last campaign where some 1,300 pts of High elves defeated some 2,000 pts worth of Empire.
The campaign system as such isn't really complicated, most designed to set up situations where players can get into battles where there is some more objective then just tossing "my 2,000 pts vrs your 2,000 pts" (which are fun too)
The above is actually a fairly simple discription of things.
Toodles
MDN

My first campaign battle was 2,500 Empire vrs 2,000 Orcs. I completed destroyed the Orcs, but lost some 430 pts worth of troops, so my army was only 2060 next battle.

Zink
16-03-2007, 16:31
I've got a massive campaign system made from the mighty empires rules and the general's compendium. Definitely advise getting that book for ideas, like some others said. Mighty empires rules can be found different places on the net or pm me and I'll send you a copy. We've done a couple of types of campaigns but I like the idea of map campaigns. What I tried to do in mine was make it so that the size of the realm gave you the number of 1,500 point armies you can field, but only one army may be in an area. Then the special things(cities, castles, etc.) gave you extra points or characters that you could put into one of your armies. There are also rules for support from neighbouring allies if the are in the area next to a battle. I wanted to have it so everything wasn't perfectly equal and yet if you start having problems you can still fight a battle and not be outnumber 2 or 3 to 1.

You don't need a GM if you have a reasonable group of people. In my group we've always been able to work things out without much of a fuss.

melgorth
17-03-2007, 13:14
the reason for the reason for the mistyping of the word campaign is because my friend is an idiot!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
18-03-2007, 12:40
You'd need to figure out how to move squares - you might say you get to move two squares a week or something like that, fighting a battle with someone you come into contact with - or alternatively only move forward a square when you win a game. You'd then want to decide what each square does for you, ie gives you more points, allows you to field an extra special unit, a mercenary unit, whatever.

I like the idea! I was thinking of starting a campaign -just 2 people- were you colour in the areas and countries that you have won with your army colour. Very good for scenarioes and special rules.
I also had the idea of making board sections-or at least pieces of scenery, to fit that area. Very much like Rome Total War.
Everyone on these forums seriously needs to get that game.

Voltaire
18-03-2007, 13:12
This issue is something I have addressed and a solution to the campaign problem will be appearing in short time...

Bregalad
18-03-2007, 15:45
Ok, myself and a few friends want to start a campeign this summer, but we have really no idea on how to run one.

A Fantasy campaign? this summer? With a map?
How about joining the global Warhammer Fantasy campaign with a map, called Nemesis Crown Campaign?
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57635
All you have to do is talk to your shop owner, read the next WDs and follow the instructions.

Zink
18-03-2007, 15:53
@ Voltaire, I'll be waiting to see what you have. I'm always interested in different campaign rules. Here's a copy of my mighty empires/general's compendium rules. I have a copy of the map hexes on my computer and printed out a set. I bought a handful of the mighty empires' pieces on e-bay and copied them for myself. But this could be made to work with any hex based map and the proper counters. This probably isn't a final copy but it's what we're using for a basis.

http://s29.quicksharing.com/v/6209372/Rory_s_campaign.rtf.html