PDA

View Full Version : Persuade me to collect anything!

Angel of the Black Parade
16-03-2007, 17:15
(apart from orcs and goblins)

I'm really stuck, not a clue on what army to get.

Persuade me!!

Cheers

Corai
16-03-2007, 17:18
Ogres. They're the cheapest and fastest army to collect as two battallion boxes will net you about 2000points. And a very good 2K point list too. Add to that some metal characters, or take your hobby saw ad some greenstuff and convert some plastic characters and you have a decent list all for circa 100.

they're big models which are great fun to paint and you can get fantastic results with them. Also, becasue of the size, and conversions or theming of the force you do can be really obvious and lavish. I;'ve seen arabian ogres, japanese ogres, chaos ogres, pirate ogres, roman ogres and there's many more themes out there to try.

Add to that they are a challenging and extremely rewarding army to play, but not al too common so you won't have to worry about being accused of being just another sheep in the flock!

Thanks
Corai

Franco
16-03-2007, 17:27
Ogres are good but wood elves are better. ( INHO ) I like the way they are from the woods and no one wants to go near the woods. When i look at the pics of them they make me want to buy more. But they will take longer than ogres to get a respectable amount of them. There is a few designs you could paint them, traditional spring (greens and browns), autumn (reds and oranges) or winter (whites and blues).
I did think about collecting ogres before WE but i decided otherwise.

Frep
16-03-2007, 17:50
Dwarves, 1500 pint army if all you buy is a battalion box and BFSP and you've got a dead hard army with missile troops who can hold their own in close combat. Plus they are hugely entertaining, grudges are cool

Mozzamanx
16-03-2007, 18:09
I second wood elves, excellent minis and a really rewarding, versatile playstyle

sephiroth87
16-03-2007, 18:12
I'd rather not. If GW has not convinced you using their pretty pictures, I probably couldn't either.

Balnazzar
16-03-2007, 20:00
Skaven.

They come in huge numbers (In a 2250 points list, you can easily have over 250 models) which gives you a lot of tactical flexibility on the battlefield. They are very good in all phases: the slowest skaven move 5", it's very easy to get more than 11 power dice without investing too much in your characters, you have some pretty powerful close combat units (especially clan pestilens stuff) and outstanding shooting (high strenght weaponry, and a warmachine that can snipe characters). They even win the deployment, since you can easily put 200 points of units on the table in the same time your enemy places his entire army.

Even better, the huge numbers of Skaven allow you to actually field enough units to be good at everything.

They're machiavelian, paranoid rats. They're dead cool.

Voltaire
16-03-2007, 20:43
Beastmen.

Plenty of tactical options, plenty of conversion opportunities. They really hit the button of easy to use, difficult to master.

Belerophon709
16-03-2007, 20:48
I'll agree with the above, sort of...

I'll suggest Chaos in general. You can mix and match (more or less) from Beast, Hordes and Daemonic, giving you a wide range of models and tactical options. Furthermore, you can pick just the look of an army that suits YOU the very best and the conversion opportunities are ENDLESS!

Bele

Move Fast Hit Low
16-03-2007, 21:00
Like sephi said, if you cannot pick an army after looking at their models and reading up on their backround than I have no chance of convincing you other wise.

Dat Wildboy
16-03-2007, 21:01
i'd choose ogres or beasts of chaos, because i'm stuck between those two now i've finished my chaos dwarves. so they must be good!

ogres for cheapness and just because they are big fat guys.

beasts because they're goatmen. theres nothing cooler than goatmen. except goatmen teamed up with chaos ogres, vikings and a shaggoth. seriously, i'd collect beasts of chaos purely for the shaggoth model.

Sanjuro
18-03-2007, 01:39
(apart from orcs and goblins)

I'm really stuck, not a clue on what army to get.

Persuade me!!

Cheers

If you can't work up the enthusiasm needed to start collecting a certain army, then maybe this isn't the right time to start a new army/enter into the hobby/move over from 40k.

Perhaps you should just take a few proverbial deep breaths, sleep on it and think the situation over a bit before committing yourself to this endeavour. Usually, it is better to start if you are already worked up about a certain army or themed force.

starlight
18-03-2007, 01:49
If you can't work up the enthusiasm needed to start collecting a certain army, then maybe this isn't the right time to start a new army/enter into the hobby/move over from 40k.

Perhaps you should just take a few proverbial deep breaths, sleep on it and think the situation over a bit before committing yourself to this endeavour. Usually, it is better to start if you are already worked up about a certain army or themed force.

Agreed. Especially since you don't want to do Greenskins.:p

Grom
19-03-2007, 01:13
More orcs and goblins. You can never have too many!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
21-03-2007, 18:14
Dark elves

only weakness is toughness, everything else is good. Magic, combat, shooting, moving, models, definately tactics. And you know you love to be evil, this is perfect. Orcs and skaven dont know they're evil they're just born that way. However elves are a good race that are openly evil, if you get my meaning.

Goq Gar
21-03-2007, 19:30
Lizardmen.

They almost never flee.

And they beat things down in combat like an abusive parent.

They have the best magic, some of the best soldiers, the best leadership tests, and of course, some very nice perks. Massive dinosairs which destroy at will, for instance.

Frodo34x
21-03-2007, 20:34
Dark Elves

They get to do fun stuff in every single phase of the turn.

Why play armies limited to fun just in the movement phase (flying circus), magic (High Elves), shooting (empire) or combat(chaos), when you can beat your foes mercilessly every phase.

dominic_carrillo
21-03-2007, 21:30
tomb kings! the models are good, the rules are way different they'll lose at first, but youll never feel bad about winning because you have to work so damn hard to do so.

Arhalien
21-03-2007, 21:34
Bottle tops!

Erm, that is the poit of the thread isn;t it?

On topic I would say that Tomb Kings are a very good choice; great models, fluff and wonderfully different rules.

I play High Elves but wouldn't recommend them; at least not until the new book and models come out. They have some good models in their range (Phoenix guard, dragon princes, latest heroes and mages) but they also have some shockers and the rules are pretty terrible.

The best advice is probacly to collect whatever you want to collect and will enjoy painting/converting/playing/fluff-writing with.

Not sure what else I could talk about really.

thorgrim
22-03-2007, 01:04
Empire as after the summer releases you will be able to collect a entirely plastic army.