PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels or World Eaters?

orange5
16-03-2007, 17:37
I want to start a new army, and need help deciding between the two above. Can you point out differences, how they compare etc.

Curufew
16-03-2007, 17:46
Blood Angel:
Basically normal marines that have free furious charge
Death Company

World Eaters:
Almost dedicated CC army
Daemon bombs are a killer
Fearless

Brother Dorn
16-03-2007, 18:05
Being a Blood Angel Player I have to back my guys...

I used to have a Khorn army but got annoyed with them and sold them, the reason? they where to unprdictable and I only had a limited choice when it came to force organisation... plus I couldn't get used to using the heriticial skum. So I stuck with blood angels, they have a greater Diversity of choice, not to mention the fact that they have the aility to use Psycers.

Escaflowne_Z
16-03-2007, 20:08
World Eaters are more or less Orks with power armor. Really angry orks. Chain-axes and daemons are their best weapons.

Blood Angels can be played like the World Eaters, but that is not the intent of the designers. The 3rd edition mini-dex almost pushed them over into the realm of a true assault army, but almost all successful BA armies have a balance between firepower using tactical squads as firebases and anchor points and assault squads for speedy assaults into enemy formations.

Champsguy
16-03-2007, 20:28
Here's the important difference that you should know.

Blood Angels: Getting an article or two in White Dwarf in June/July that will re-write their army list and give them entirely new rules.

World Eaters: Rumor says the new Chaos codex comes out this fall, re-writing their army list and giving them entirely new rules. Though the fall codex may be Orks according to other rumor. 50-50 chance at this point.

So, depending on when you plan to start collecting, this may be helpful. BAs WILL be redone this summer, so my advice is paint really fast, or wait until the new codex. 50/50 on Chaos or Orks this fall, so beware that there's a solid chance your World Eaters will be different soon. You may want to wait a bit, or buy the basic models from whichever army you choose.

Latro_
16-03-2007, 20:34
Both are a good army to colelct since the new 'one coat' red will be out soo ;)

Khorne is a 'dedicated' assault based army, whereas a blood angels one is geared towards assault. If you still wanna keep a bit of a firebase go with BA, if you want all out comabt go khorne.

It should be said that generally a khorne based army is going to be alot less forgiving and harder to play with that a BA one.

On the filp side the update that BA are getting (note my own prediction, not official) I think will probably tone down the death company (which if you dont know about, are very ard) and possibly set the same comabt squad size restrictions as dark angels.

hootier
16-03-2007, 20:36
As a diehard Chaos fan I have to recommend... the Blood Angels. ;)

They're more flexible, more characterful, and more interesting. Plus they're lots more fun to play. World Eaters, when they do well and are winning games, are essentially playing themselves. Your rage rolls, which you want, are carrying you extra movement towards the nearest enemy and make you unable to shoot. So the decisions on what do to, once your army is deployed, are taken out of your hands. The army really can play itself with you along only to move the models.

Blood Angels are way more fun to play.

Reaver83
17-03-2007, 15:52
world eaters are great characters, they're quite hard and to play them and not be played by them does require some thought. They are however at times a little simple and a lot of peopl just sit and shoot you, it then comes down to some cunning tricks to ensure you survive across the board

alextheterror
17-03-2007, 16:26
FOR CHAOS!!! i support the World Eaters cause they kick a** but really because they are able to kill so quickly, course i should shut up i collect undivided, but i like the fact Blood Angels have the predator Anihihalator and the more troop choice, so i suggest you might as well go with the Ba. :)

sigur
17-03-2007, 16:29
I suggest Blood Angels; they have tons of character and background and aren't just as lunatic and "evil" which is always a bit more interesting than the extremest possiblility. You also get more choices and all that Space Marines stuff on top.

Red_Lep
17-03-2007, 16:40
Blood Angels, they have great assault/combat troops like Scouts(my brother has had an entire LatD army fleeing from them), Assault marines, and Death Company. Furiouso Dreadnoughts are fun and pretty effective. From what I've seen, they are geared mostly towards assault because if you try and sit back with heavy weapons they could black rage foward and ruin that.

The_Outsider
17-03-2007, 21:27
The special character of WE's most famous quote is "MAIN KILL BURN" bellowed about 20 times.

Whats not to love?

I would rather go with WE as the BA are just asking for a massive nerfing (death company being the most obvious).

Grymlok
17-03-2007, 23:21
I had exaclty the same dilema when I first started 40k back in 1995. I saw the Death Company & World Eaters (the old snap fit ones) boxed sets. I way preffered the look of the Death Company to be honest, but my brother had just bought a box of Grey Hunters, so I didn't want to go with a Marine force. I looked through the Chaos Codex book in the store, and the second I saw the picture of the Bloodthirster leaping from the big pile of skulls I was hooked on Khorne. Some more reading and I stumbled across Kharn's entry in the Codex and knew I had found the army for me.

Some of the models look fantastic, especially Khorne Berserkers, Bloodletters, Khorne Dreadnought and most of all the Juggernaut and Bloodthirster. A full World Eaters force on the table looks fantastic, but then again so does a Blood Angels one.

I would say on a background basis I prefer the Blood Angles, and they have the some of the best imperial characters (with the exception of the Space Wolves characters Ulric the slayer who's my favourite marine character, and Ragnar Blackmane).

In 40k there are far more Space Marine players than any other army, so for that reason you may prefer to go with the chaos force. Go in to your local Games Workshop and ask to have a look through some Codex books. You never know you might end coming out the store with a box of Tyranids!

lord_blackfang
17-03-2007, 23:25
I heard a rumour that Blood Angels will turn to Chaos soon enough, so in the end it's all the same.

Wraithbored
17-03-2007, 23:28
Go with World Eaters and for all you Kharn fan's out there :D (it's joke stories):
Contrary to popular belief, Kharn the Betrayer was a pretty fun guy to be around during a blood-letting campaign. Sure, he'd get so wrapped up in the blood-lust that he'd butcher friend and foe alike but it's not like you didn't get a fair warning from his name or anything.

I served in the traitor guardsman legions known as the Red Rivers, because we got sent in first to soften up the positions and you could see our progress by the red river of our blood. I kept running into Kharn during one of the bigger scourging campaigns, and he wasn't ******* about the whole him being a space marine and me being killed by laser-lights or angry glances at all.

The first time I saw him, I was on perimeter patrol at one of our forward outposts, we'd just overrun a Sororitas non-militant chapel, and the Slaanesh boys were shirking their duty to go rape the sisters in a clearing near the chapel. I was watching from afar when Kharn strides up, cool as you like holding the largest stone pillar I've ever seen. I turned back and the whole *********** chapel was falling down. He'd just ripped the goddamn thing right out and was carrying it on his shoulders!

Then, if that wasn't insane enough he went and hefted this whole pillar through the air, and crushed the entire congregation of rape in the name of Slaanesh, defilers and victims all in one go.

I was just standing there dumbfounded when Kharn looked at me, as though noticing me for the first time and yet not surprised by my presence at all. He held his palm out, and I obliged him a high five. He'd earned it.

Damn well shattered every bone in my arm doing it though.

Nice guy that Kharn.

The second time I crossed paths with Kharn was in a later stage in the campaign. We were besieging one of the major hives of the planet, and I tell you what that place was locked up tighter than a Dark Eldar's pants. My commander, Oxlor the Vilest was stuck in an argument with some idiot leader of some group of Death Guard. You could see the smell it was so bad. I could tell Oxlor wasn't happy, since everyone knows the Death Guard's answer to everything is to just walk at it and watch your bits fly off. Not so good for us soft and squishy guys.

Out of nowhere, this big hand grabs our commander by the shoulder and just hefts him aside, three whole trenches back where he rebounds off a basilisk. The crew was so shocked they fired off a round on a horrible trajectory, and the shell streaked high into the sky.

Kharn the Betrayer just himself dusts himself down, and then picks back up what he had been holding. Now, I'm no techpriest and I never will be, but I know a nuclear warhead when I see it. I don't know where he got it.

No one says anything, so The Betrayer just punches the Plague marine in the face, and stuffs the warhead into the leaking mess of his stomach while he was still reeling.

No run up, no preparation. He just *********** throws the other marine into the air at the hive. For a moment it actually looks like he's thrown the warp-damned fool OVER the hive, but as he flies over the top the basilisk shell comes down and spears him through the whole hive! There's a low boom noise, the ground shakes, and then the whole hive IMPLODES!

Everything clears, and Kharn looks at me, and I feel about one foot tall. I don't know if he recognised me, but he leans down and whispers. Kharn WHISPERS to me.

"I was trying to hit the Emperor's Children on the other side" he confides in me, and then nudges me as though it's supposed to be our little secret.

I was in traction for a MONTH

As I always say, Kharn the Betrayer was pretty fun to be around, and contrary to popular belief he actually had a sense of humour as well. Probably the best example was in the middle of the campaign during a sweeping of an Imperial Guard command post, with Khorne Berserkers and our Red Rivers company marching directly into the defensive fire. The closer we got, the more apparent it became that the only thing holding the Guardsmen together was a grizzled looking Commissar in full uniform, one gun turned on us and another firing on any of his men who looked like running.

Kharn was at the tip of the assault, and so he got to the Commissar first, plucking the screaming officer up by the neck and holding him over his head.

Then, out of nowhere one of the other berserkers grabs the Commissar's legs and roars "MAKE A WISH!". Well, as you can imagine everyone on both sides forgets about the fight, and watches Kharn and this other Khorne worshipping marine just start pulling on this Commissar at both ends, the old man screaming out oaths and curses like you wouldn't believe! You could almost hear the sound of flesh tearing and bone snapping over the cheering.

Then, Kharn just let go. Totally not expecting it and pulling with all his might, the Khorne Berserker just falls backwards and starts tumbling with the near dead Commissar into a damaged hellhound, his armour grating off it and sparking!

Well, after the explosion we all turned back to Kharn, who had managed to keep a hold of the Commissar's fancy hat. Ol' Kharn put it on, and damned if it wasn't the funniest thing any of us had ever seen... till he turned to us and bellowed "I'M THE NEW COMMISSAR" at us.

They tell me five thousand traitor guardsmen died that day before someone could take that hat off him.

What a kidder!

I've been fairly insistent to you readers out there that Kharn the Betrayer was a pretty fun guy to be around. I know he gets a bad rap for the whole 'slaughtering his own allies' thing, but unless you've been there after a battle with him you don't really appreciate how much he strives to please his chaos god.

It was after one of our many conflicts that the Red Rivers Infantry were preparing to march on to our next destination. Nevermind that it was half the planet away, we as traitor guard didn't get transport vehicles. So as you can imagine when someone declared they'd found an Imperial Drop-ship in working condition everyone clamoured and fought to get a free ride to our next engagement.

Knowing full well I was too far away to get on the ship, I stayed with some of my fellow traitors at the battlefield. I'd seen Kharn after the battle, and as soon as we'd gotten our marching orders he was picking up corpses and putting them down elsewhere. This took an hour before he was satisfied, and seeing an audience he happily led us up onto a hill as the drop-ship flew a pass over the top of us, probably to gloat. Proudly, Kharn gestured to the battlefield, and then waved up at the drop-ship with his other hand. I peered down the hill, and realized he'd arranged the bodies to make out words, so many killed to form:

On your drop ship hull
I planted a melta bomb
Blood for the Blood God

It was at that point the drop-ship erupted in a violent plume, and crashed down on top of the haiku. Roaring in a cheer, we lifted Kharn up together and made to carry him to the next battlefield as a sign of our appreciation and devotion to his art.

We got about five paces before our spines liquefied but Kharn didn't hold it against us for trying.

You can say what you like about Kharn, provided he isn't in earshot, but you can't say he doesn't have a tender side.

I ran across Kharn again during the Scourge campaign on Malachius IV. A tyranid swarm was tearing through the rich farmlands and grain fields, leaving bare bedrock in their wake, and we were ordered to stop them, something about unholy evil artifacts in the geothermal power cores. Me and the rest of our traitor legion had just crested the Greenspine mountains in our battered chimeras and were looking down on a single writhing mass of claws, teeth and chitin plates as the tyranids descended upon the last bastion of the Imperials.
I remember looking around, then the chimera giving a shuddering screech as it slid sideways a few metres.
"MOVE IT!" growled Kharn, who'd shoved our transport off to one side to save himself the effort of walking around, and then lopped off the head of our driver and trod on it, presumably to save himself the effort of crushing his skull by hand.

So Kharn looks at the mass of tyranid creatures and just walks backwards. Then starts running forwards. It was amazing watching his leap, and then seeing him plough into the horde of beasts, clawed legs, spines and rippers flying all over the place. I grab my binocs and try to catch a better look, and I watch Kharn climb up the leg of one of their bio-titans and begin kicking it in the skull, tearing open flesh and bone and stamping on its ganglions until he had the nerve impulses worked out. Then, stamping and stomping on the brain, he began controlling the Hierophant, spraying acids and venoms all over tyranids, Imperials, us, pretty much anyone who was in his way.

We roll across the smoking ground, covered in liquified flesh and bits of bone, up to the mangled and ruined fortress gates and Kharn is there with his lobotomised bio-titan, rubbing its head like a giant spiky ugly puppy and feeding it captive accountants from the Ministerium.

I believe he called it "Buttons" until he beheaded it a week later, claiming the skull throne needed more skulls, and the blood god required more blood.

Elvani
02-04-2007, 06:42
but i like the fact Blood Angels have the predator Anihihalator and the more troop choice, so i suggest you might as well go with the Ba. :)

Errm, blood angels have the Baal predator as their unique predator, the annihlator they can use too, but it is not unique to their chapter.

Blood Angels all the way, death company, furiso dreadnoughts, gold power armoured jump packed captains, and tank drivers who like to rip people apart, they have everything

The Dude
02-04-2007, 06:59
I heard a rumour that Blood Angels will turn to Chaos soon enough, so in the end it's all the same.

I'll destroy you and all you hold dear, Blackfang!!!

;)

TheBloodWindOfChaos
02-04-2007, 07:22
Khornes great for me, but it really depends on your style of play, which one you choose. Khorne is so unpridictable but once you get to the enemies' lines the enemy is screwed. I think khorne is a little more expensive, but they both cost quite a lot of points. You could also probably convert Blood Angels things to chaos. For example: my freind is getting Dark Angels for his chaos army.

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-04-2007, 08:07
Well, hopefully the Blood Angels list coming out soon will make them into what they should be (essentially a codex chapter with Death Company and Veteran Asault Marines), rather than the Imperial version of Khorne Bezerkers that they are now. So might be worth seeing what thats all about first.

Or just going with what style of models you like best. Will motivate you more anyway, so might just be the best thing to do.

Griffin
02-04-2007, 10:27
Bezerkers = Bunny Ears
Bunnies = Cool
Kharne = Baddest ass bunny ever

Thus World Eaters are going to win out over the Emo goth power armored loyalist any day.

AmKhaibitu
02-04-2007, 10:41
I am so tempted to model Kharn with a commissar cap now :D

Joah_from_Alberta
02-04-2007, 18:58
I achieved a population of 66 million in Civ 1 on my Amiga 500. My valkyrie was unbeatable in Age of Wonders. In risk my strategy was Australia. In chess I always gambit with my knights. Axis& Allies, unbeatable. Magic the Gathering, TNT type 1 (power 5). Throughout this dominance, I have retained my friends, and my collective worth. (My sanity is thankfully nurtured by my loving wife.)

I chose as my first army 1000 point Khorne. My legion is assembled from the finest butchers in the Universe. Their armour and equipment are kept as fanatically clean as their chain axes, which wielded by a frenzied lust-- that no blood carnage can truly, ever, satisfy. They are an elite unit best suited for battle in the confined corridors of Hell.

Lyinar
02-04-2007, 19:14
As far as anyone can tell, no matter what, Orks and Chaos are the next two codices. No one knows the order, but they should be the next two.

And the Blood Angels are getting redone in White Dwarf this summer.

Yorrik
02-04-2007, 19:43
In my experience Khorne tends to be a bit of a wind-up army - they perform best when you have fewer decisions to make. From a storyline perspective I dislike them because their evil is a bit mindless. I like having a squad of Berzerkers in an Undivided force, with a crafty, sinister Tzeench or Undivided commander leading them towards some great, terrrible evil that the frothing madmen themselves cannot understand.

~~Alas~~

Lyinar
02-04-2007, 20:03
My squad of Berzerkers in my Black Legion army is there for a rather simple reason: They are the Forlorn Hope unit. It's their job to charge in, tie up the enemy for a couple of turns before dying, and allow the rest of the army to do their job... Specifically to get into position to shoot the enemy to death.

They're kind of like the Death Company in a Blood Angels army in that respect.

Bolter Bait
02-04-2007, 20:17
Well, the difference is that one is spikey and the other isn't. ;)

Both are red-painted marines who consist primarily of ravening loonies who go rampaging across the board at a drop of a hat, get led by the nose into traps (heh heh, bio-acid mines, anyone?) and attempt to get buried into combat as soon as possible.

Other than that, I really cannot comment on the real differences, since I never see anyone actually use them. Both have their thoretical advantages that I have heard of, such as the troop-destroying maniacs that are the Death Company for Blood Angels or for the World Eaters, they have the brass-apron wearing Bloodletters that show up wherever they are summoned from and are generally unpleasant.

Rogue 7
02-04-2007, 20:25
Go with World Eaters and for all you Kharn fan's out there :D (it's joke stories):

I believe he called it "Buttons" until he beheaded it a week later, claiming the skull throne needed more skulls, and the blood god required more blood.

Post of the Year, right there.

Maleficum
03-04-2007, 10:47
A picture of Khorne Berzerker Possessed (http://www.codexguardianangels.com/enigma42-chaos.htm)

(mine, but the picture is manipulated by my friend)

Having played in a recent Megabattle (the event in the link) against a beatifully painted Blood Angel army, I'd suggest the Blood Angels for more "tactical" options (berzerkers rage 1/3, or 4/9, - BAs rage 1/6) and BAs have more weapon options.

Khorne Berzerkers are a great looking unit, but I'd think they're only great as elements in other armies, like the ELITE slots in my Black Legion, but I'd think they are a little simple - and very easy to just shoot to pieces as they cost so much.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see even more Loyalist Marines... :(

vampires are cool!
03-04-2007, 13:01
Kharn ... What a kidder!

Now I will never look at him the same way - you have made Chaos even better for me, Thank you sir, thank you.

Captain Micha
03-04-2007, 13:13
*L* that was ******* awesome. Certainly a much nicer way to depict such horrifying actions. actually is more disturbing than the 'real' fluff gw makes with its emoness of everything is bad doom and gloom.

same type of events portrayed in a much more disturbing light!