PDA

View Full Version : Better way to measure distance and check arcs?

Jerkface
17-03-2007, 09:33
Hello,

One of the big problems I've been faced when playing is the inevitable arguments over firing arcs and range. Regular measuring tape are too thick to ensure accuracy and the blue rods are not straight enough. This is especially troubling for me as my only gaming mate has a hard time eyeballing angles which means I am always questioning everything. Its just so much of a hassle to have one player hold the compass over the ship, and the other player trying to figure out where the stems are on the individual models, and the player holding the compass is not gauranteed to even have it over the stem in the first place, and then you get the arguments "well you're not holding it straight enough! Oh give it here" and then the other person says "What? Thats no where near the stem! You give it here!" etc.

Is there an efficient way conduct measuring? What do you guys do?

I wish there was some sort of laser level device, that'd projected the firing arcs for a ship unto infinite.

CyberShadow
17-03-2007, 18:14
Well, the obvious thing to do to help is to paint the arcs on the vessels base, which makes things clearer. I also use tailors measures, since these are fabric rather than metal and are much easier to use on the table.

fracas
18-03-2007, 01:52
i cut a quarter arc out of the nova template (the central hole fit around the stem well)

for distance you can always use strings

IncrediSteve
18-03-2007, 04:33
Paint your bases black, and then set it down on top of the compass. Paint red and white lines to match up with the fire arcs, and one last little line for the front arrow facing. that way it's always "on the stem", each ship is a moving compass. If you place your finger by the front and then turn it 45 or ninety degrees, you can get turning done easily as well.

[Also, Jerkface, check your PM]

Major_Gilbear
18-03-2007, 04:57
I agree with the other comments here; paint arcs on the ship bases to determine the facings without needing to hold a compass over the ship.

As for the actual LOS check, have you tried using a laser pen? These are cheap and easy to get hold of (buy one that is safe tho!), and are perfect for measuring in these sorts of difficult-to-call situations.

Vladimir Deathblade
19-03-2007, 00:07
Also, (although this may only me with the chaos and imperial ships) the bbridge is prtty much directly over the stem...
Somehow, I dont thnk this is coincedence...