PDA

View Full Version : Attacker/Defender Mission?

uatu13
17-03-2007, 23:58
Hey, I was thinking about playing an Attacker/Defender mission using Tomb Kings (defenders of a pyramid) and Ogre Kingdoms (obviously raiders ;-). What I was wondering is are there any official rules how to do this? If not, what do you think would be a fair way to do this mission? Should both sides have equal points, or one have more? Also, what should the victory conditions be? Thanks for the help!

Greyfire
18-03-2007, 05:32
Do you have the previous edition rulebook? They've dropped the scenarios out of this edition for some bizarre reason, but what you're describing sounds like either the Ambush scenario or the Last Stand scenario. Both have a defender setup in the center of the board, with the attacker invading his lands.

With the Ambush scenario the defender gets 50% more points than the attacker. The defender deploys all forces first, in a section that's 24" by 12" in the center of the table. Then the attacker deploys his forces into either of his deployment zones (the short ends of the table, at least 18" away from the defenders area, but he has to deploy at least 1/3 of his points into each. Attacker goes first, the game lasts for five turns only, with victory points awarded only for units destroyed or reduced to half.

With the Last Stand scenario the defender get's only 1/2 the points of the attacker. The defenders setups in the center of the table with a deployment zone 18" by 18", all faced in the same direction. Attacker then deploys his forces anywhere on the table that is at least 18" from the defender. Defender goes first, play until defenders are dead or fleeing (you're not expected to win this one) with the defender being immune to panic (I did say the defender is not expected to win, didn't I?) After the game, total the amount of attackers destroyed or reduced to half. It that total is more than the starting force for the defenders, then the defenders win. If less than half the starting points of the defenders, then the attackers win. Any other result is a draw.

I'm sure you can get more details on this forum, and if I can help with more details, just let me know. Then you and your friend can go and create your own scenario to test your armies fighting abilities, or just use these. Fighting a mismatched battle can really force you to think hard about your choices, and I've found them to be a lot of fun. Be sure to swap sides and try it out from both sides, too. Most of all, have fun with it, and tweak the scenario setup until you and your friend find something you like the best.

-=- Greyfire

the vicar
22-03-2007, 04:28
They've dropped the scenarios out of this edition for some bizarre reason

The reason being to pad content in White Dwarf, of course. Like in the March and April issues, where there are <shock horror surprise> WFB scenarios. :)