PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Black Orcs in squads of 5?

gorenut
18-03-2007, 01:31
Just curious seeing how theres no longer a limit on them and you can take them in small squads. They seem kind of expensive to have full rank and files (relatively speaking for Orcs). Anyone tried fielding them in such small squads? Or perhaps even in squads of 10.

Aelyn
18-03-2007, 11:44
I've considered taking a couple of units of eight (6 wide, 2 ablative armour) to function as rankbreakers - no risk of animosity screwing over your carefully-planned countercharge.

However, while they aren't 0-1, they are still special - so compete with SOBB, Squigs of both varieties, chariots and artillery.

Lord_Byron
19-03-2007, 02:43
I think the only reason GW gave us the option of taking 5 black orcs was so they could justify selling us boxes of 5 plastic black orcs for $20.

Like Aelyn said, they compete with other special choices which makes the undersized black orc regiment kind of a waste... unless maybe you're playing warbands/skirmish.

explorator
19-03-2007, 03:32
The minimum unit size of 5 would allow for a full command group in a warbands game, say 300-500 points. I don't know why else GW gave us these 5+ options. Some of the Dwarfs special units also have this wierd minimum unit size. It is odd.

SON OF LION
19-03-2007, 04:10
Personally I'd find that such a small unit wouldn't do anything. I mean all it takes is one casualty to knock them below unit strength 5 and since unit size is counted at the end of combat, it wouldn't be too difficult to kill one model and thus remove the ability to negate ranks etc.

Also they'd be too easy to panic with shooting.

zoddri
19-03-2007, 13:27
Just curious seeing how theres no longer a limit on them and you can take them in small squads. They seem kind of expensive to have full rank and files (relatively speaking for Orcs). Anyone tried fielding them in such small squads? Or perhaps even in squads of 10.

I don't see any point in fielding such a small unit of Black Orcs. They are supposed to be a big, expensive elite unit that your enemy fears. :skull:
As others have stated, just one casulty would render the unit more or less wortless and they would be nothing but easy victory points.

They could be useful in a 0-500p battle against a non-shooty enemy, preferably as a hard-hitting unit to finish off already wounded enemies with.