PDA

View Full Version : Terror from the Dark Forest, A Beasts of Chaos Project Log

Hawkmoon
18-03-2007, 12:35
As long as I've played fantasy I've collected and fielded the forces of Chaos in all their varied splendor. In fact it was Chaos that got me into the game in the first place. I remember walking into the local gaming shop (back before GW stores dominated the landscape) and seeing a Realm of Chaos blister with 2 heavily armed and armoured Chaos warriors of Khorne and thinking "Now THAT is cool!" That was my first in a loooong line of Warhammer purchases. Coincidently it was only $5.50. Try getting anything from GW for that price nowadays.:cries:

When I moved to Japan two years ago I brought a small selection of my vast horde of chaos thinking I'll be able to get some painting in. Well, between 2 jobs, moving apartments 3 times and the lack of motivation that comes with not actually playing the game I've done jack squat! But a month ago I finally went to the GW store in Tokyo and met some of the local gaming crew and played a few battles with the paltry handful of miniatures that I had with me and lots of stand-ins.
And guess what? I got sucked right back into that warm and fuzzy world of brutal war in the land of Warhammer! :evilgrin:

In the past I've mostly focused on the mortal forces of Chaos so I decided to do something a little different and build up a Beasts of Chaos army..

Here's what I've got so far

20 Beastmen <12 gors, 8 ungors>
2 Beastmen Heroes
1 Shaman
1 Spawn <a slightly converted Scyla>
1 Giant <a heavily converted old metal giant>
1 Dogs of war Cannon < a thunderwyrm cannon from reaper minis> I plan on getting a trio of Chaos Dwarves to act as the crew.

The plan, is to build a beastmen force that is primarily dedicated to Chaos undivded with a liberal sprinkling of Mark of Khorne heroes and regiments heavily influenced by PsychosisPC's top notch beastmen conversions and painting schemes. At some point I'm going to try and build a Bestigor regiment similar to the one he built, but that's a bit off in the future.

So, as I paint and build on my little fledling BoC army I'd really appreciate any comments, criticisms, suggestions, encouragement or threats of physical vilolence to stop procrastinating and get back to painting that you my fellow Warseerers could give.

And without further ado, please welcome the warband of Beastlord Gral Bloodgave!

unwanted
18-03-2007, 13:04
Love the giant, splendid use of the old Lammasu head!

(Or is it something else? Can't really tell...)

sanctusmortis
18-03-2007, 14:28
It is indeed the mighty Lammasu. Works damn well, I must say!

Zodiac
18-03-2007, 14:47
Very very cool! I love BoC and I'm looking forward to seeing this army progress.

spikedog
18-03-2007, 15:09
There they are, part of the army that ate my skeletons last week. I demand a rematch!

Good to see that you have started a log though dude. You should show off some of your painted stuff as well, even though it doesn't fit in the army it is good dude. Also good to see the Beastmen have some arms now. ;)

Now get yourself painting!

torso777
18-03-2007, 17:03
Nice looking stuff. The Giant is great. I say you make two more chaos spawn, just like your scylla one, and use 'em as a regiment of minotaurs. Cause that would look awesome

ZeroTwentythree
19-03-2007, 01:15
Agreed on the giant. Nice use of a bunch of different parts to create something unique!

Hawkmoon
22-03-2007, 12:55
Thanks for your comments all.

@ ZeroTwentythree, sanctusmortis and unwanted - The giant I built it waaaay back when they first released the BoC army book out of whatever extra chaos bits had on hand. Yes, it is the mighty Lammasu's head. I just love that look he's got. Like he's screaming really, REALLY LOUD!! :D
My only concern is that I gave him the sword from the Greater Daemon of Nurgle without modifying it at all and now I think that it would be better if I were to file down the symbol of nurgle. I also plan on bulking up his lower legs and hoofs with some green stuff as they look a bit small for his size.

@ Spikedog - They didn't eat your skeletons, they simply knocked them down and collected their bones. ;) And yes it is nice to see them with arms isn't it. Next time I hope to do battle with a somewhat painted army.

@ torso777 - You know, that's not a bad idea. I may try that. But for now I'm holding out with my tiny tiny hope that GW will show the BoC some love and make us some new plastic Minotaurs that look cool.

OK, I have a mini-update here, seeing as greenstuffing the gaps on the models became much more difficult than I had anticipated I've as yet only primed them black and gotten a single coat of brown on them. But I did a little drawing of the basic colour scheme that I'm going for. Please don't laugh I know it's no DaVinci but it was just something to see the colours together before I put paint to a model.
Also, as per Spikedog's suggestion I have two pics of models from my HoC army.
enjoy and stay tuned for a real update in the near future!

Mutantdale
22-03-2007, 15:50
woot chaos log.....
looking forward to seeing the updates here. Love the old chaos mini's makes me want to paint my ones sitting on the shelf next to me :D

MD

Hawkmoon
31-03-2007, 17:22
Ok! So I've got a real update here.

First off I received a package from my brother back in NYC and he was kind enough to ship to me a bunch of BoC stuff that I had back at the house. Here's a list of what was in said box.

24 Plastic Gors
16 Plastic Ungors
5 Centigors
20 Khorngors
3 Chaos Trolls
15 Bloodletters
5 Flesh Hounds
20 Chaos hounds

Pretty much everything I need to run a BoC army minus a chariot or two.

So the reason I took so long with this update was that it took me forever to decided on a paint scheme for my beastmen. I finaly went with something that was striking yet simple to reproduce quickly.
I'm a notoriously slow painter but I really want to get at least a solid foundation of painted models for this army in couple of months. So unless I come up with a scheme that I can bang out quickly my grandkids will be finishing this army.

so here's the army test model, a lowly Ungor. The base isn't finished yet because I'm waiting on some new static grass.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

spikedog
31-03-2007, 17:25
Very sexy dude. Looks nice and muted the way Beasts shoul be in my eyes but still has enough contrast to stand out on the tabletop.

I look forward to seeing a whole army of these guys next time we play so get to painting buddy!

ZeroTwentythree
31-03-2007, 21:27
I agree with Spikedog about the contrast on some of the bits. The flesh and the wood looks good, but maybe a little more (but not too much) punch to the highlighting on the fur & cloth?

Also agree about digging the color scheme, nice choice - worth the wait. ;)

mrtn
03-04-2007, 19:34
Looking interesting, nice to see some more beastmen!

mousekiller
03-04-2007, 21:21
Do you plan to do anything more with the base? Maybe some leaf clutter or static grass to add some color. Like the color scheme on the beastman, just blends with the ground too much.

Can't wait to see more.

Hawkmoon
04-04-2007, 11:48
@ SpikeDog & ZeroTwentyThree - Thanks guys. I need the motivation as it's been a while since I've attempted a project this size. I think the later incarnations of this paint scheme will be a bit brighter as I kinda messed up with the highlighting on this one. But lessons were learned so it's not a loss.

@ Mousekiller- The base is only like this temporaily. I'm planning on getting some greyish brown static grass and little leaves in the near furture so the base will look much better once everything is on there.
Actually sir, I owe you a debt of gratitude because it was your step by step tutorial on the dwarf slayer that inspired me to try a more human-like skin tone. While I don't think I got it quite right with this first one the other ones I have in the works are turning out better. Check em out below.

@ mrtn- If you like beastmen you should also check out Pekel's Lustrian Beastmen PL, He has some really nice looking stuff on there. In fact don't be surprised if you see some tattoos popping up on my beastmen in the future. :angel:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55646

mrtn
06-04-2007, 11:32
Oh, I've been down with Pekel's thread since day one. ;)

BTW, the conventional wisdom over at The Herdstone (http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone) is that you should arm your gors with extra hand weapons, and not give shields to your ungors. :)

mousekiller
06-04-2007, 14:07
Coming together really really nicely. I am enjoying watching this thread come together. I am glad that the tutorial was able to give you some insight. As soon as I can get some time, I have the pics for the next update on that (gem work), but just need time to put it together.

I think the skin could use one more highlight, just on the extremes like knuckles, top of the nose, chin, those kinds of places just to really make 'em pop.

Great work, can't wait for the next update.

Hawkmoon
10-04-2007, 12:07
@Mrtn- Yeah, I've read lots of tactics threads that have said the same thing. I'm planning on doing one herd of beastmen with shields and 2 more with 2 hand weapons. As for the Ungors, I just like putting the shields on em even if I don't use them. If anyone has any WYSIWYG complaints I'll just say they are made of rotten wood that doesn't give an armour save.

@Mousekiller- thanks for the compliments. I've given them an extra highlight and it really gives it that little extra to make it stand out.

Well, work has conspired to keep me pretty busy lately but I did manage to get a little bit of painting in and managed to paint up my first chaos hound. The base isn't finished yet but he's done.

What do you think?

spikedog
10-04-2007, 12:12
Looking good dude, I think the fur could do with another highlight as could the horns but all in all looking smart.

I hope to see the whole army finished by Sunday!

P.s Tou are working on the exact same model as me at this very second!

The boyz
10-04-2007, 12:48
Great start to your Beastmen army so far, Hawkmoon. I love the converted giant.

I like the skin tone on the Ungor chap. The wood grain effect on the sheild looks good too. Nice work as well on the Chaos hound, I think the fur could do with a bit more highlighting. But other then that looking good. Cant wait for more updates.

Hawkmoon
10-04-2007, 15:59
@ Spikdog and The Boyz- Thanks guys, it's all this motivation that keeps me going, so I really appreciate the encouragement.

I hope to see the whole army finished by Sunday!

LOL! I wish! But thanks for the vote of confidence. :p

Actually, I think the warhounds won't take so long really. The hardest part was finding a pattern to paint them in. As for highlights, I'm planning on highlighting the fur a bit but overall I wanted a darker dulled look for the hounds, although I think this may be exaggerated by my crappy photography skills. :cries:

tancrede
10-04-2007, 16:04
nice start of an army. and now, i wait to see the whole army assembled and painted!

i hope you have good time in japan.
and if you can take pics of japanese minis (in tokyo store, for exemple), i will be glad to see them (no time to seek the gw store when i went to japan...:cries: )

Hawkmoon
12-04-2007, 17:08
nice start of an army. and now, i wait to see the whole army assembled and painted!

i hope you have good time in japan.
and if you can take pics of japanese minis (in tokyo store, for exemple), i will be glad to see them (no time to seek the gw store when i went to japan...:cries: )

Thanks Tancrede! I hope to finish up some more tomorrow and this weekend so check back soon.

I'm also going into Tokyo this weekend to visit the GW store and battle it out with my man Spikedog so while I'm there I'll take some pics for you.