PDA

View Full Version : crossfire rule

Brodrick
18-03-2007, 18:17
I am unable to find the crossfire rules in the small rule book. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

DeathlessDraich
18-03-2007, 18:34
Hello and welcome Brodrick.
Actually I don't think the word crossfire appears in the rule book.
Is this something from 40k possibly?

Brodrick
18-03-2007, 18:37
Not sure if it is 40k, never played. The crossfire rules, if i am not mistaken, say that if a unit flees through two shooty units, it is destroyed. I have heard of these rules from multiple other players, but have yet been able to confirm them.

DeathlessDraich
18-03-2007, 18:41
Panic from Shooting?
This can only occur once.
Fleeing units never take Psychology tests - pg 48.

I don't think the players have quoted or used the right rules.

Arnizipal
18-03-2007, 18:43
There's no such thing as a crossfire rule in Warhammer Fantasy.

I think you're looking for the rule on fleeing through enemy units. If you flee through an enemy unit with a Unit Strength of at least 5, the fleeing unit is automatically destroyed. The destroying unit doesn't have to be armed with missile weapons though. I don't know where you got that idea...

Check the rulebook p41 and drawing p42 for more info.

Vattendroppe
18-03-2007, 18:59
Nothing such as crossfire, no. Could be that he confused it with a shooting rule from LotR, I know there's something in there of missing targets and hitting other things. However, quite some time since I played it, so it might be completely and utterly wrong.

WLBjork
18-03-2007, 19:16
As Arnizipal says, a unit fleeing through any one enemy unit with a US of 5 or greater is destroyed.

This is covered on page 41, and is shown in diagram 41.2

It is also restated on page 46

(This rule is often referred to as crossfire due to that being the name of the 40K version of the rule).

Sanjuro
18-03-2007, 19:17
There's no such thing as a crossfire rule in Warhammer Fantasy.

I think you're looking for the rule on fleeing through enemy units. If you flee through an enemy unit with a Unit Strength of at least 5, the fleeing unit is automatically destroyed. The destroying unit doesn't have to be armed with missile weapons though. I don't know where you got that idea...

Check the rulebook p41 and drawing p42 for more info.

This rule is almost identical to the 40k "crossfire" rule. That is probably where the confusion arises from.

enyoss
18-03-2007, 19:28
This rule is almost identical to the 40k "crossfire" rule. That is probably where the confusion arises from.

And it is confusing :)! Having never played 40K, I too was stumped when I saw the term being used with such familiarity by Fantasy players. For the sake of clarity, I wish the 'crossfire' moniker was dropped. It just seems absurd to label a Fantasy rule with a 40K rulename, particularly when the rule isn't even the same.

Cheers,

enyoss

mattjgilbert
18-03-2007, 19:32
40K doesn't even have a rule called crossfire any more...

enyoss
18-03-2007, 19:37

Really? Ha! It doesn't get much muddier than that :D.

Cheers,

enyoss

EvC
18-03-2007, 19:37
And it is confusing :)! Having never played 40K, I too was stumped when I saw the term being used with such familiarity by Fantasy players. For the sake of clarity, I wish the 'crossfire' moniker was dropped. It just seems absurd to label a Fantasy rule with a 40K rulename, particularly when the rule isn't even the same.

Outrageous, next you'll be saying that we shouldn't call Army Books "codexes" ;)

Brodrick
18-03-2007, 19:51
Thanks for clearing that up. Being only involved in WHFB, i couldn't make the connection. :)

Sanjuro
18-03-2007, 22:33

Argh, just goes to show that you cannot, under any circumstances, teach an old dog new tricks.

dominic_carrillo
18-03-2007, 23:02
crossfire is another genius rule scribed by the good people who wrote 40K.