PDA

View Full Version : "Imperial Guard" themed list?

elite_dannux
18-03-2007, 19:43
Has anyone tried to do a fantasy version of the 40k Imperial Guard?
It could be rather cool as a themed list.

I was thinking that the empire archers would represent imperial guard troops very well. (their entire statline are almost excactly the same, BS3, effectively no armour, very weak weapons and so on)

I dont know if this list would be esp good, but as a themed pre-Imperial list undecided what the heck.

If id do any IG themed list this is how it would look like.

Infantry
Archers x10
Archers x10
Archers x10
Archers x10
Archers x10
Archers x10

Rough Riders
Knights x6
Knights x6
Knights x6
Knights x6

Lascannon team
Cannon
Cannon

Mortar Teams
Mortar
Mortar

Battletanks
Steamtank
Steamtank

General
Archlector

Psyker
Scrollcaddie

TOTAL: 2242pts

And for some more flavour.

Commisar
Priest

Officer
BSB

Questions is: would it work?
It would not be as static as a regular gunline although i looks works like one and uses the IG tactica: shoot the crap out of them and avoid close combat at all costs unless you are sure to win.

RavenBloodwind
18-03-2007, 20:28
Haven't tried it but I enjoyed the thought.

I think the thing you'll find is that Empire archers with M4, BS3, S3 shooting and 24" range will fare VERY poorly as they will miss a lot and not get many rounds of shooting before they're in charge range of the enemy. Couple that with a -1 to hit penalty for moving a whopping 4" and you start to have a pretty marginal firebase.

I'm thinking knights are a bit over-the-top to represent rough riders due to all their armor, but you have a short list of choices so this can be okay. They're just a lot stronger than I'd expect rough riders to be.

All that said, two STanks, and a pile of cannons and mortars may well soften the enemy up before you have to fight them.

enyoss
18-03-2007, 20:33
Mmm... I'm kind of confused as to why you'd want to do this? Surely the best way of playing Imperial Guard is to play a game of 40K :)?

Can't really say much more, I think I'm kind of missing the point!

Cheers,

enyoss

dominic_carrillo
18-03-2007, 22:05
this is silly. why dont you just play gaurd?

Frodo34x
18-03-2007, 22:21
Perhaps he wants to do it for the novelty of a 40k themed army in WHFB?

Frankly, I think you should use handgunners instead of archers. Modelling wise, it would look better, and they better represent lines of guardsmen. Yes, the handgusn have better stats, but a weapon's stats are relative to the game it is in. Arguably, a cannon has much better stast than a 40k Lascannon, yet fluffwise a lascannon is much more powerfull than any blackpowder cannon.

loveless
18-03-2007, 22:37
agreed with Frodo
handgunners make more sense in my mind

I've had similar ideas...for instance, I plan on converting Vostroyans for Engineers

Anardakil
18-03-2007, 23:18
wow, that's weird

Onisuzume
19-03-2007, 00:25
I'd say pistoliers/outriders for the rough riders.

Maybe thave the mortars as basillisks instead.

Sir_Lunchalot
19-03-2007, 02:03
How about Skaven? The tactics seem similar.

elite_dannux
19-03-2007, 08:11
Actually this is no attempt to make a serious list. Its just a burst of ideas that has come to me.