PDA

View Full Version : 2k Competitive Tomb King Army

Trunks2560
18-03-2007, 20:18
We don't have any undead players in my area so I thought I'd give TK a try. The area I play in is pretty competitive so I wanted to build a "good" list first and I'll later expand it to include other fun stuff. I've been reading different forums and this is the most interesting list I've found:

Tomb King: Flail of Skulls, Armour of the Ages, Chariot
Tomb Prince: Flail, Light Armour, Brooch of the Great Desert, Chariot
Liche Priest Hierophant: Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar
Liche Priest: 2x Dispel Scroll

5 Skeleton Chariots: Standard, Banner of the Undying Legion
4 Skeleton Chariots: Standard
12 Skeleton Bowmen
2 Tomb Swarms

1 Tomb Scorpion
1 Tomb Scorpion
1 Tomb Scorpion
5 Carrions

1 Screaming Skull Catapult: Skulls of the Foe
1 Screaming Skull Catapult: Skulls of the Foe

Total: 2000p

I've not played Tomb Kings before so any suggestions are welcome. The list seems pretty straight forward. You sit back and batter you opponent with the catapults until your scorps and stuff show up and then charge in and clean up with the chariots.

LemonPotato
18-03-2007, 20:51
Seems like an extremely competitive list to me. It should do seriously well on the tabletop.

LemonPotato

llama rider
18-03-2007, 22:01
good list. if i were you i would give a liche priest the casket of souls. its worth it. also i would get more swarms and more skeletal horsemen. tomb kings are blessed with the option of an all cavalry army. light cavalry is definatly worth buying, and heavy cavalry can be devastating. also tomb kings have some of the best swarm bases. dont waste that. lastly, get a bone gian, because it gives you much needed close combat prowess, along with tomb guard, but i only take tomb guard if i need to.

Parka boy
18-03-2007, 22:15
Don't use 2 Screaming Skull Catapults its boring and cheap.

dominic_carrillo
18-03-2007, 22:38
even though a scorpion/chariot/carrion combined charge is devastating, it may be hard to win with so few ranked troops.

Trunks2560
18-03-2007, 23:00
Are the ranked troops really needed? After a few rounds of shooting, shouldn't most units be pretty well depleated by the time the combo charges go off.

dominic_carrillo
18-03-2007, 23:06
well, you may have had different experiences, but i've yet to have an exceptional game with Screaming Skull Catapults. ive always killed more things with bowmen, and they can reform to form a fat skeleton tarpit that will allow your other units to charge.

pcgamer72
18-03-2007, 23:30
Most TK lists I see do tend to ahve at least one nlock of infantry, but I'm not saying it can't be done without one. However, I think you may have trouble winning some combats, especially if have a not so great impact hit roll.

LemonPotato
19-03-2007, 13:18
I do not think that you need a block of infantry, I think that the list as it stands will be devastating (providing of course that it is used well...;) )

He can easily break a unit with a combination charge of chariots with a scorpion or something.

The list in strong in the magic phase both offensively and defensively and has a fair bit of shooting to boot. A combination of 2 screaming skull catapults can potentially fire 4 shots and causing mass panic this is game winning.

The list may not be that fun to use but the title says competitive list and it is exactly that.

LemonPotato

Trunks2560
19-03-2007, 18:29
I've tried this list out in a few mock games and I'm really enjoying it. LemonPotato is correct that this is a competitive list. For fun all around games I'll drop a lot of this stuff and play around with different units. I'm planning on a Barrow King theme so thre are a bunch of conversions I want to do for things that are not in the current list.

As the list stands, it's one of the few forces that I've built that has been able to stand up to skirmishing/denial forces. I play against Lizards alot and what would normally be defeats for me have turned into a series of very close draws. Considering my competition, I'd have to chalk this army list up to a great success.

I think that gunline Dwarfs could be tough to beat with this list as the can deal with the underground stuff and their warmachine crews are tough. Empire could be difficult but I think the lower leadership and the fact I have speed on my side will swing games in my favor.

Keep the advice coming as I'm still learning about this army, but from what I've seen I'm quite happy with my choice!

dominic_carrillo
19-03-2007, 20:02
I've tried this list out in a few mock games and I'm really enjoying it.

Keep the advice coming as I'm still learning about this army, but from what I've seen I'm quite happy with my choice!

mock games? what are those? maybe a real game would be a better crucible for determining your lists' weaknesses and strengths.

Weapon
19-03-2007, 21:33
mock games? what are those? maybe a real game would be a better crucible for determining your lists' weaknesses and strengths.

Mock games, using cutouts and stuff for your models, instead of buying the models first. Pretty sure he is playing real games, just not real models. I do that for my armies.

dominic_carrillo
19-03-2007, 22:58
oh. so im dealing with noobs here ;).

Weapon
19-03-2007, 23:04
oh. so im dealing with noobs here ;).

Lol, well, in my case, less noobs, more "Poor people". I prefer to NOT pay out the ying yang to GW without knowing if I'll like the units I get! :)

Trunks2560
19-03-2007, 23:18
ha ha ha, by "mock" I mean games with stand in models and sometimes paper cutouts.

I've personally played through and painted 12 armies that I can remember and probably more that I can't. I ended up paying for all of my undergrad that way:)

School takes up a lot more of my time now so I've got to be a bit more "picky" about what I build and paint. I got halfway through an Empire army recently before I got bored and started looking at the Tomb Kings. So, I'm taking it a bit slower to get the feel of the army before I invest time painting them. So far TK seem to fit my style more and I'm excited to theme them around Barrow Kings.

I've got a few more "mock" games this week against ogres and orcs. The ogres seem like a difficult fight but my magic should be more effective then it was against lizards. Should be interesting.

Weapon
19-03-2007, 23:21
ha ha ha, by "mock" I mean games with stand in models and sometimes paper cutouts.

I've personally played through and painted 12 armies that I can remember and probably more that I can't. I ended up paying for all of my undergrad that way:)

School takes up a lot more of my time now so I've got to be a bit more "picky" about what I build and paint. I got halfway through an Empire army recently before I got bored and started looking at the Tomb Kings. So, I'm taking it a bit slower to get the feel of the army before I invest time painting them. So far TK seem to fit my style more and I'm excited to theme them around Barrow Kings.

I've got a few more "mock" games this week against ogres and orcs. The ogres seem like a difficult fight but my magic should be more effective then it was against lizards. Should be interesting.

Exactly. even with a decent paycheck coming in, I have to save up for books, my car insurance, and more and more school related crap. Plus, changing majors halfway through doesn't help either :cries:

dominic_carrillo
19-03-2007, 23:22
hmmm. college gamers and their majors... good thread idea. thanks weapon.

Weapon
19-03-2007, 23:28
hmmm. college gamers and their majors... good thread idea. thanks weapon.

No proooooblem.

Good sig by the way. As was the previous :)

dominic_carrillo
19-03-2007, 23:45
hahah! i love dave chapelle

Trunks2560
20-03-2007, 01:05
When I think about the money I spend on books....I cry a little.

LightBulb4631
18-04-2007, 21:35
nice list, if u drop the bowmen u can get 1 more chariot in that 4-man squad and give a banner of the undying legion... with about 25 or so points to throw on your heros.

Esco Thomson
19-04-2007, 15:03
good list. if i were you i would give a liche priest the casket of souls. its worth it. also i would get more swarms and more skeletal horsemen. tomb kings are blessed with the option of an all cavalry army. light cavalry is definatly worth buying, and heavy cavalry can be devastating. also tomb kings have some of the best swarm bases. dont waste that. lastly, get a bone gian, because it gives you much needed close combat prowess, along with tomb guard, but i only take tomb guard if i need to.

Ignore everything in this post except the talk about swarms.

Casket of Souls is a huge risk at anything below 2500 points, and really is going to end up taking away from your firepower of two SSC. Chariots are superior to the horseman, both varieties, so I do not understand what drugs this guy is on, but I want some. Bone Giant for close combat? Ha, you have plenty of hitting power already, again, not sure where he is basing any of this off of. Also, ignore the post about 2 SSC being cheap and boring, I find it is neither. It is rather difficult to make a "cheap" TK list at all, because they are one of the few armies that truly works out best with a good balance.

Now as for your list, I actually don't have too much to suggest, as I do like it a lot. One thing stands out though:

You have a very fast list, as well as a great deal of warmachine/mage hunters. I feel your Brooch on the Prince is a bit excessive, and you could easily swap it out for the Chariot of Fire to add a bit more punch to the Prince's charges.

Maelx
19-04-2007, 15:36
Hmm. I don't know if this would work so well...

As soon as you hit a unit like ironguts you're in big trouble. If they get st7 off then oh jeez, you're losing a chariot per attack. OUCH!

Chariots in huge units NEED to break the units in the first turn otherwise you're in big trouble of being swarmed by something like Rats.

I like your catapults, but there's no real support for them. Some flyers could really mess with you.

You definitely need some blocks of skeletons to help deal with the enemy.

In theory, this is how tomb kings work the best. Soak Charge -> countercharge. I dont know if your list could do this very well..

I like it though. Everything's fast. Maybe a giant would work instead of both of those catauplts (exactly the same points at 220!) At least he could trudge along and give a lich some cover as well as destroy things in combat when you need that help. After your chariots get in your catapults are useless after all..

Esco Thomson
19-04-2007, 16:04
Hmm. I don't know if this would work so well...

As soon as you hit a unit like ironguts you're in big trouble. If they get st7 off then oh jeez, you're losing a chariot per attack. OUCH!

Chariots in huge units NEED to break the units in the first turn otherwise you're in big trouble of being swarmed by something like Rats.

In theory, this is how tomb kings work the best. Soak Charge -> countercharge. I dont know if your list could do this very well..

As with any chariots, Strength 7 is scary, as can be the lore of beasts, and I think there is one on the lore of metal as well. It's the risk you take, but if you go into the battle knowing it, then you should be able to play around it. His King does have the FoS to help chew up Ogres.

Again, all chariots aim to break on the turn they charge, which is why they have impact hits. That much is a given, they are meant to slam into things, and be able to move onto the next combat, not get tied up all game, they are not built for such things. He shouldn't have much of a problem getting swarmed, as his army is quite speedy and maneuverable. He just has to position his charges to hit flanks whenever possible.

Tomb Kings really don't have a set way they work best per se'. There are several very viable tactics with them, and all out fast attack lists like this have down very well for numerous players. As do magic supremacy defensive lists. I have even seen a few skilled generals pilot the construct armies to solid results.