PDA

View Full Version : Captured banner?

Vogon
27-07-2005, 08:07
Hi

I'm sure this must have been covered before but I can't find it.

If I defeat a unit with a banner in combat and chase it down I capture that banner.

If my unit is then subsequently beaten in combat and chased down is that banner re-captured by my opponent? Referene or page number would be appreciated if at all possible.

Cheers

Vogon

Snoozer
27-07-2005, 08:31
Yes they would get their banner back, BRB page 109 under Capturing Standards.

Vogon
27-07-2005, 08:34
Many thanks

Vogon

Tarax
27-07-2005, 09:55
If the unit which has lost the banner recaptures it it can use it in further combats, and using its magical effects.

However if another friendly unit recaptures your banner, then the unit where it came from doesn't get it back, nor can the unit which recapture it use it or its magical effects.

If this unit subsequently breaks from combat, your opponent only captures the unit banner, not any other banner. But I may be wrong on this. Not clear in the rules.

mageith
29-07-2005, 12:42
If this unit subsequently breaks from combat, your opponent only captures the unit banner, not any other banner. But I may be wrong on this. Not clear in the rules.
This question comes up about once a year.

"Trophies may be recaptured along with the unit's own standard..." -109 then "restoring them to a proper place of honour."

The implication, not rule, is that a unit that recaptures its own banner can use it. However if another unit captures a friendly banner no method of transfer is given. Certainly it is too much to 'magically' transport a captured banner to the original owner.

I don't think in all my years of play that I'd ever seen a defeated unit recapture it's own banner.

Mage Ith

Warlord Gnashgrod
29-07-2005, 18:22
I don't think the recovered banner can be reused. It's just a personal opinion, but I think if you could once again use the recovered banner, wouldn't it state so in the rules clearly and succinctly? I know, I know; GW writing clear rules?!? roflmao. But I still think that you can't use it.

In cases of rule ambiguity like this, I always take the safest route, and interpret the rule in a way that benefits my opponent more than it benefits me. I feel that's just good sportmanship and gaming to do so.