PDA

View Full Version : Good Mercenary units?

Magistrate
19-03-2007, 20:03
I have an Ogre I've assembled, converted and have about half-painted. Are they any good? Even if they aren't I'm still going to use it based entirely on the merits of the model it's self ( Love the new Ogres! ).

Are there any others worth noting?

Catferret
19-03-2007, 20:08
Ogres are great if you can afford them. I prefer the axe and club approach but a 2-h axe gives them Str6 so they can't be parried.

Elf Rangers are handy for the +/-1 to Exploration rolls. You are more likely to get doubles and stuff.

Tilean Marksmen are just fantastic shots and dirt cheap. They almost always hit on 3+ with a crossbow.

Spartan-001: Master Chief
20-03-2007, 13:04
Ogres are gd but they tend to draw the attention of every ranged weapon

Lord 0
20-03-2007, 15:41
Which means they are not being aimed at your money-makers, the heroes.

I have found great utility in the Merchant. The amount of money he can save and earn you is amazing. Well, so long as you can keep him alive, that is :).

Something to remember if all that is putting you off getting a mercenary is the cost is that one fairly regularly receives free mercenaries from the Returning A Favour result in exploration.

Oh, the bounty-hunter is also pretty neat too.

Catferret
20-03-2007, 16:13
Yeah, Returning the Favour is great! I got a free Ogre, Tilean Marksman and Pitfighter through that. I started with the Elf Ranger and that made it easier to get the three 6's in exploration.

Fastforward rlz
22-03-2007, 17:30
Don't forget the Halfling scout. +1 to warband size can really help for small warbands like Witch Hunters with only a 12 max model count

Lord 0
23-03-2007, 21:19
Meh - I only ever get the halfling scout after I have the halfling cookbook. Otherwise you are paying a significant amount of gold each game just to have an extra member. Definitely a luxury for when you are rich.

TKitch
24-03-2007, 01:15
paying a significant amount?

A Halfling scout is a 5GC upkeep! 5 MEASLY CROWNS! Ummm, I call that "a STEAL"

sersly. And he's a lot easier to find than a cookbook.

(Oh, and at 15GC to hire, it takes at least 6 games for him to cost as much as a cookbook.)

Fastforward rlz
24-03-2007, 06:14
Ha leave it to TKitch to lay down the facts

unitus
20-12-2008, 02:56
swordsmen upgraded with lad's got talent is my favorite.

mweaver
20-12-2008, 15:16
The Tilean marksman is one of the few I almost consider too good.

Quite like the Elf Ranger. He is a good shooter and adds a lot to the warband, and in grab-and-run missions his extra speed is often useful. And, of course, he helps you find Good Stuff during the post-game search. He is probably my favorite hired sword.

In a warband I am currently running I have an ogre bodyguard. He has proved very helpful. But he was eating a LOT of gold between games. We've been playing some collaborative games, and after the third or fourth game we noticed my warband was lagging perceptibly behind the other two in terms of Lucky Charms, helmets, new recruits, etc. The other two players decided they would start helping pay for Mr. Ogre (whose name is "Runty" - I am using one of those wonderful Foundry Renaissance ogres, which are on the small side compared to GW ogres).

So, my verdict on the ogre - useful, but very expensive. For gold-to-benefit value, I don't think he ranks with the Tilean Marksman or the Elf Ranger. But you've got a cool figure, so go with him!

Lord 0
21-12-2008, 00:08
Ha leave it to TKitch to lay down the facts
'Facts'? Closer to opinions, I think. Much like the following... :).

A Halfling scout is a 5GC upkeep! 5 MEASLY CROWNS! Ummm, I call that "a STEAL"
That is 5 measly gold you pay *per game*. So what is better? 40 gold (average) for a cookbook paid in one go, or 60 gold over several games in a T2 form that can be targeted and killed by enemy players? A case can be made for either, but in my opinion the less gold is better.

And he's a lot easier to find than a cookbook.
Easier to find perhaps, but difficulty 7 is hardly a challenge. Streetwise, being a Marienburger, Opulent Coaches and more. All these make things easier to find. And if you capture an enemy, then it isn't even *you* that has to look for it - ransom the person back for a cookbook if they are worth enough. In my opinion the difficulty of finding the cookbook is offset by its permanence and lack of upkeep.

(Oh, and at 15GC to hire, it takes at least 6 games for him to cost as much as a cookbook.)
My math* tells me that the minimum is four games before the book has paid for itself, maximum of 7. So after a mere four games, maximum of seven, the book has paid for itself and thereafter saves you 5 gold per game. An amount you consider measly, to be sure, but in my opinion it is an amount worth saving :).

So there :p.

*Book is 33 minimum, 48 maximum. Halfling is 15 to hire, so 4 games (15+4*5=35) minimum, 7 games (15+7*5=50) maximum, with an average of 5 games.

mweaver
21-12-2008, 06:30
So far, I have never particularly felt the need for either! (Which may be a result of my unnatural ability to make sure that at least half of my warriors who go out of action are dead).

BigRob
21-12-2008, 08:40
It's always the Tilean Marksman. This guy is a godsend to a starting warband. He can put the shot down reliably and once the skills come rolling in it just gets better.

The ogre is an expensive distraction. Everytime I have hired him he has attracted all the missile fire and died.

The trollslayer, warlock and pitfighter are meh. I take them when I am super rich but they dont seem to do enough to make it work.

The halfling scout is great. 15GC to hire, he makes a nice little shield for an expensive missile unit/hero.

When the money comes in grab the Imperial assassin and Elf ranger. Pricey but worth it.

Inquisitor Konig
29-12-2008, 16:53
wow wow wow
I am shocked to hear that no one really takes the pit fighter. Next to the Marksman he is soooo undercosted for what he does! For a human or dwarf warband he has a really great stat line to begin with.

S4 T4 A2, strength5 on the first round with his morning star and an extra attack from the spiked guantlet.
After a couple of skills... pitfighter and combat master he has 5Attacks @ WS5!

I also take the Halfling Scout to begin with. 15gc is cheaper than any henchman. For Dwarfs I think he is a must because he is half the cost of a beardling!

In my dwarf warband I take the slayer pirate! He is just so cool.
Bounty Hunter is good but people tend to get pissed about him kidnapping their heroes.
Troll Slayer is kinda ok. Cheap but like all Dwarfs he takes a couple level ups to shine.
Elf Ranger is really good but really pricey. I like to go with 2 or 3 cheap hired swords in my warband so I leave him out.

Stormhammers
31-01-2009, 02:34
I'd go with the cook, cheap and you can make your warband bigger, and an extra bow is always welcome.

freelancer
01-02-2009, 13:52
The Slaver is also brilliant for incomes sake and being about to capture you enemies units is also a big plus.

Freelancer

mweaver
01-02-2009, 14:33
Not familiar with the slaver.

I have never used the cook. I have very rarely had a warband reach its maximum size limit.

freelancer
02-02-2009, 05:30
The Slaver is a non rule book merc its from Fanatic Issue #94. Fanatic linkie (http://www.sg.tacticalwargames.net/fanatic/94nhs.pdf)

Freelancer

Keller
02-02-2009, 16:41
Its been a while since I've played (trying to get back into it now), but I've always favored the Bounty Hunter as a good merc. Good skills, extra crowns if you can get your mark. Plus he just always seemed to fit in with my warbands well (especially my greedy Marianburgers).

Alltaken
03-02-2009, 16:21
I've only used ogres and just simply love them. I'v seen some friends use wizards to supposedly make up for lack of magic users in the warband, but they aren't relly that great.

Ogres however, rock!

BigRob
03-02-2009, 18:02
Wizards depend on the spell. As far as lesser magic goes, obvious choices like Silver Arrows and Fires of Uzghal with secondary ones being flight of Zimmerman and the terror spell. The flaming sword suffered from the warlocks poor stats and the luck spell was terrible, especially if it was rolled first and was their only spell.

After Silver arrows got the nerf in the errata, I don't see the point in taking a warlock.

The witch on the other hand is regarded as being too powerful with her useful curses and her potions.

Nicodemus is not that useful either, he is a powerful wizard and his good stats plus the dual wield staff/flaming sword help but being stuck casting just one spell per turn means he can't unleash the combos you would like (flaming sword, luck and flight for example).

The best use for lesser magic is for someone like a Vampire to learn it, but the skills, costly tome and armour restrictions mean it becomes a very specialized build.

mweaver
03-02-2009, 21:06
In the most recent campaign (which is collaborative), we've been playing, my Marienburgers started with an ogre. He has been quite useful - not least because, unlike most ogres I have had in the past, he hasn't died in his first game or two - but the upkeep on him is very expensive. We noticed after four or five games that my warband was clearly trailing behind the other two allied warbands in terms of new recruits and new kit.

Alltaken
04-02-2009, 16:28
Now that I recall the arab merchant can be pretty good if you get to buy some of his products. A friend of mine playing Shadow Wariorrs got the flying carpet, that was pretty much abussive

Inquisitor Konig
04-02-2009, 20:40
Dwarf warbands make good use of the Arab Merchant since they are rich after each game.

Stormhammers
05-02-2009, 05:04
the warlock can be good, dont know from experience...mine is apparently drunk and has never been able to do anything requiring dice rolls, never cast a spell, never climbed a rope...nothing...anh I have used him in a number of full campigns...and nothing...but in theory, he could be good.

dooombot
17-02-2009, 00:21
is there a site with a compilation of all the merc's you can hire?

rb.uhs
17-02-2009, 10:44
Ninja Gnoblar.

'Nuff said.

Mordheimer is quite handy for mercenary lists.

Catferret
17-02-2009, 11:13
Mordheimer is quite handy for mercenary lists.

As long as you have the real versions so you can correct all the mistakes. ;) It is seriously in need of someone fixing all the errors.

rb.uhs
17-02-2009, 13:45
True, but still handy.