PDA

View Full Version : Anime/Manga/Game Fantasy Army

LionoftheBegs
20-03-2007, 16:23
Hello All,

I am currently interested in starting a new army. I have Lizardmen from before so I wanted to start something new.

I am looking for an Army that would fit well with Anime/Manga/Game theme. I don't care about converting because I can do that and already have a couple of heads ready to put on. I am looking for a human type army that would fit in with this theme and isn't to gothic and dark.

Frecus
20-03-2007, 16:54
Human type:
-Undead
-Empire
-Bretts
-Chaos

Not dark...

Err..

Not dark...

What was that again?

I think Wood elves are best suited to being anime-manga based, and maybe the other elves, due to their links with samurai/ninja types, but humans are all datk and gothic and... Well not-japanese.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

xibo
20-03-2007, 17:10
Not dark... not dark... not dark elves??? I think they'd do well...

Vattendroppe
20-03-2007, 17:20
Since anime/manga is a quite broad category you could do it out of whatever you want? Or is it something I've missed about the warseer definition of mange/anime?

TheWarSmith
20-03-2007, 18:31
That's such a BROAD clue in.

I could say "you're in the wrong game system. Go play tau".

Or i could say "we don't have drifting courses in warhammer. go play w/ model cars".

Seriously, that's like saying "i like cartoons. give me an army"

speedygogo
20-03-2007, 19:08
Dark elves lend themselves nicely to an anime theme. You'll probably have to sculpt the heads and elongate the limbs to achive an anime style looking army but if you can pull it off it would look awesome.

Ikarius
20-03-2007, 19:18
I'd say Elves in general. Just because they're far more graceful looking. then again I could just be thinkin of Lodoss War.

dominic_carrillo
20-03-2007, 19:28
you should play tau.
Big Robot!! ^_^!! Warhammer Supertoy Number 1!!!

Dat Wildboy
20-03-2007, 19:31
despite people's views, i say no warhammer army has an anime theme. its the exact opposite of anime itself. i think that it is just as dark and gothic as 40k, more really since there are no tau here.

if you put alot of effort into it, orcs and goblins could, but thats a big maybe to be honest. basically what The Warsmith and dom said. if you want anime, play 40k Tau.

dominic_carrillo
20-03-2007, 19:39
despite people's views, i say no warhammer army has an anime theme. its the exact opposite of anime itself. i think that it is just as dark and gothic as 40k, more really since there are no tau here.

if you put alot of effort into it, orcs and goblins could, but thats a big maybe to be honest. basically what The Warsmith and dom said. if you want anime, play 40k Tau.

yeah anime is cute and funny ^_^!!! and warhammer isnt, unless you like dark humor. our demons are evil and wicked, not half man half fox bullcrap!!! give me darkness and twisted grim evil! i want death destruction and carnage, not schoolgirls with magic powers! i want fantasy chicks with big breasts and bigger swords!!! no underage anime jailbait!!! WAAAAAHHGGG!!!

but seriously, anime is the product of a culture that has developed separtely from the rest of the world. i think in reverence to the art form that is anime we should keep it separate from our wargames. thank you.

inq.serge
20-03-2007, 19:44
I would say a converted non gothic*/dark chaos army.

With so big eyes and mounths and so small noses, and legs that constantly grow longer while skirts get shorter at the same rate, it has to be a chaotic mutant.

* Why are people calling warhammer/40k gothic? The only gothic things in 40k is the imperiums architectula style (Which they also have on their spaceships) and in fantasy, well, just some buildings. (For those who don't know: Gothic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_architecture))

Angry Lawyer
20-03-2007, 19:47
I would say a converted non gothic*/dark chaos army.

With so big eyes and mounths and so small noses, and legs that constantly grow longer while skirts get shorter at the same rate, it has to be a chaotic mutant.

* Why are people calling warhammer/40k gothic? The only gothic things in 40k is their architectula style (Which they also have on their spaceships) and in fantasy, well, just some buildings. (For those who don't know: Gothic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_architecture))

Gothic, in the Warhammer sense, is derived from Gothic Fiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_fiction)

-Angry Lawyer

Vattendroppe
20-03-2007, 19:49
yeah anime is cute and funny ^_^!!! and warhammer isnt, unless you like dark humor. our demons are evil and wicked, not half man half fox bullcrap!!! give me darkness and twisted grim evil! i want death destruction and carnage, not schoolgirls with magic powers! i want fantasy chicks with big breasts and bigger swords!!! no underage anime jailbait!!! WAAAAAHHGGG!!!

but seriously, anime is the product of a culture that has developed separtely from the rest of the world. i think in reverence to the art form that is anime we should keep it separate from our wargames. thank you.

I dunno what's this hysterica about placing anime that tight. Anime cartoons from japan, that's all. It can be dark and darn horrible (see death note, texnohylize etc), it can be pure sunday entertainment (naruto, sailor moon and such) or it can be deep philosofical works about morale and ethics (haibe renmei, kinos journey with more).

And I'd say that the culture of japan is one of the ones that have been most exposed to the western world during the last centuries, the time when anime has developed.

dominic_carrillo
20-03-2007, 19:51
I dunno what's this hysterica about placing anime that tight. Anime cartoons from japan, that's all. It can be dark and darn horrible (see death note, texnohylize etc), it can be pure sunday entertainment (naruto, sailor moon and such) or it can be deep philosofical works about morale and ethics (haibe renmei, kinos journey with more).

And I'd say that the culture of japan is one of the ones that have been most exposed to the western world during the last centuries, the time when anime has developed.

my point is that warhammer, like anime, has a unique style. an anime army really wouldnt feel the same.

Vattendroppe
20-03-2007, 20:00
my point is that warhammer, like anime, has a unique style. an anime army really wouldnt feel the same.

Why not? Chaos are pretty anime as they are, just little conversions to them and you get a really nice anime-army. There are more examples, like OK, just a little bit more mashed up.

dominic_carrillo
20-03-2007, 20:03
Why not? Chaos are pretty anime as they are, just little conversions to them and you get a really nice anime-army. There are more examples, like OK, just a little bit more mashed up.

i dont think so. those are some pretty big stretches. i geuss i dont watch enough anime to realize it.

Vattendroppe
20-03-2007, 20:05
i dont think so. those are some pretty big stretches. i geuss i dont watch enough anime to realize it.

That would be correct, there are SO DARN many types of anime out there (I know, my brother's a real geek). I can very well imagine a fantasy army themed on haibane renmei (with some modifications), actually it would probably be *******' cool! I wish I were better at handling the GS...

Jhayden
20-03-2007, 20:05
There is no anime in warhammer fantasy. If you want anime, please go play Tau (that's what they're made for) because you won't find anything close to KAWAII ^^;;; in warhammer fantasy.

Pokpoko
20-03-2007, 20:17
There is no anime in warhammer fantasy. If you want anime, please go play Tau (that's what they're made for) because you won't find anything close to KAWAII ^^;;; in warhammer fantasy.

and here we have a fine example of a stereotype-driven mind. heck with Berserk, heck with Blame!, heck with a dozen other titles...
well, "blessed is the mind too small for doubt":p

night2501
20-03-2007, 20:20
mmm a hard question, but agree with Vattendroppe, there are just so many kind of anies that you might wannt to be more specific...

anime like bersek -> chaos with demons?
anime like slayers based -> basically a empire army with few to non warmachines and heavy magic
FMA anime stile-> a bit of magic and some engineering with good tecnology
Final fantasy 7 stile -> again empire, change horses for chocobos, and chariots for oversized bikes that work with magic (mmm maybe the mechanical horse might be a better option), the greatwordman as soldiers, and the lower rank as normal empire grunts, this mightneed a lot of work toguh, but it might look incredible ... mako cannon?

actually many of the armies can be fied to an anime, specially empire, the point is the stile of the miniatures is really diferent so you might need tons of conversion, but it can be done ...
BTW I recomend a elite armi to avoid conversion of too many models

PD:
hey Vattendroppe, wath do you hav ein mind for haibane renmei, I loved that anime ^^

dominic_carrillo
20-03-2007, 20:24
That would be correct, there are SO DARN many types of anime out there (I know, my brother's a real geek).

Riiiiight, your BROTHER ;).

TheWarSmith
20-03-2007, 20:57
The fact that you are trying to make "anime" into an adjective is REDICULOUS. Anime IS X, not the other way around. You're attempting to reverse how the genre works.

Vattendroppe
20-03-2007, 21:21
The fact that you are trying to make "anime" into an adjective is REDICULOUS. Anime IS X, not the other way around. You're attempting to reverse how the genre works.

I presume that's directed towards me. And anime is japanese cartoons, I don't see what would be the fault in trying to make a warhammer army that is inspired from a japenese cartoon?

No doubt, there's a special style to the anime, and maybe I expressed myself a bit clumsy, but I thought ppl would understand that what I meant is chaos are pretty anime-alike. Meaning, the chaos warriors could certainly be present in an anime.

Jhayden
20-03-2007, 21:25
and here we have a fine example of a stereotype-driven mind. heck with Berserk, heck with Blame!, heck with a dozen other titles...
well, "blessed is the mind too small for doubt":p

Yep, sorry for not being so in with the anime crowd. Nope, never heard of Berserk or Blame! I guess they're some kind of anime? Doesn't really matter, all anime is trash.

Dat Wildboy
20-03-2007, 21:36
sigged my good fellow!

Pokpoko
20-03-2007, 21:43
Jihad-no need to be sorry, you'r entriely entitled to your own opinion, even if it is based on 2 titles and lots of prejudice:P..oh well, not to be outdone:
all english literature is rubbish! so says me, after reading "the eye of terror":D

Frecus
20-03-2007, 23:11
If we're going that way:

All Dutch literature is rubbish, and I've read over a dozen titles.
No seriously, I would advise to not read any dutch literature with the sole exception of 'The discovery of Heaven' by Harry Mulisch and even then I won't guarantee a good read.

Anyway, with my qualms with Dutch literature out of the way, I say the feel of warhammer is not anime because:
-Anime usually favours ability & strength over a well thought-out tactic & strength.
-European fiction usually favours a well thought-out tactic and strength over ability & strength.
It's just an entirely different way of seeing things, and the elven and undead armies fit the bill best methinks. The undead only in combat style though...

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

TheWarSmith
20-03-2007, 23:36
I presume that's directed towards me. And anime is japanese cartoons, I don't see what would be the fault in trying to make a warhammer army that is inspired from a japenese cartoon?

I am not a big fan of cartoon inspired armies, but that's up to the creator. My point was that you could base an army off of "A" cartoon, but not off of "cartoons". Anime really isn't a genre. It's larger than that(whatever the term is). It's like saying you want to base your army off of american TV. You have to be MUCH more specific(sitcom, soap opera, crime drama, etc.).

Yep, sorry for not being so in with the anime crowd. Nope, never heard of Berserk or Blame! I guess they're some kind of anime? Doesn't really matter, all anime is trash.

I'm with you about 98%. There's the occasional anime I enjoy, but it's very rare. I can't STAND the "5 year old screaming girl" which populates 95% of the anime i hate(the other 5% that i hate is just stupid).

dominic_carrillo
20-03-2007, 23:57
I am not a big fan of cartoon inspired armies, but that's up to the creator. My point was that you could base an army off of "A" cartoon, but not off of "cartoons". Anime really isn't a genre. It's larger than that(whatever the term is). It's like saying you want to base your army off of american TV.

i think my nest army will be based on seinfeld,

Grymlok
21-03-2007, 00:05
I've never really understood the cult appeal of Anime/manga. I find anytime the Japanese get their hands on a cartoon they turn it into absolute tosh. (thinking of what they did to the Transformers cartoon series). However, I know a few people who are total Manga nuts and they think I'm nuts for spending money on this hobby.

As for a cartoon look to a Warhammer army, you could just pick any army and give it an incredibly bright cartoon style colour scheme. I'm sure some would work more than others (e.g. Empire, Tzeench, Slaanesh)

dominic_carrillo
21-03-2007, 00:13
i wonder if anyone has recommended orc and gobbos as a cartoon army. theyre the cartooniest army ive seen.

DarkAngel74
21-03-2007, 04:38
Speaking of anime, I am a big fan of anime myself (it is an unspeakable shame that a book of a manga costs 10$ in this country. Back in where I came from, I could burrow them for a week for just a 50 cents from rental shops everywhere!), so I have to say, woman figures in warhammer is pretty unattractive to me. I wish they could have some 'prettier' designs for female minatures like anime.

LionoftheBegs
21-03-2007, 05:29
Hmm, thanks for the input. I don't really know what army I want to do at this point.

When I say Anime, I mean not a specific anime, but the genre in itself. So basically something that has little bits and peices of everything. The same thing with Manga.

Actually I am thinking Empire might be a good start. Are there any rule about mniature height? Chibi faces might make the figures look taller than others.

TheWarSmith
21-03-2007, 05:34
And my point was that "anime" is a HUGE genre. You'd need to pick a sub-genre(i.e. huge mecha anime)

Jhayden
21-03-2007, 05:41
Speaking of anime, I am a big fan of anime myself (it is an unspeakable shame that a book of a manga costs 10$ in this country. Back in where I came from, I could burrow them for a week for just a 50 cents from rental shops everywhere!), so I have to say, woman figures in warhammer is pretty unattractive to me. I wish they could have some 'prettier' designs for female minatures like anime.

So you want the female figures to have gigantic eyes, obnoxiously long legs, enormous breasts while sporting hair in colors unseen in the natural spectrum?

Vattendroppe
21-03-2007, 06:58
I am not a big fan of cartoon inspired armies, but that's up to the creator. My point was that you could base an army off of "A" cartoon, but not off of "cartoons". Anime really isn't a genre. It's larger than that(whatever the term is). It's like saying you want to base your army off of american TV. You have to be MUCH more specific(sitcom, soap opera, crime drama, etc.).

And that's exactly what was my statement from the start of it! Because it's a so darn broad genre/thingy/whatever it's called one can certainly make an warhammer army out of it without a problem.

Hmm, thanks for the input. I don't really know what army I want to do at this point.

When I say Anime, I mean not a specific anime, but the genre in itself. So basically something that has little bits and peices of everything. The same thing with Manga.

Actually I am thinking Empire might be a good start. Are there any rule about mniature height? Chibi faces might make the figures look taller than others.

You definetly need to be more specific...

Doctor Thunder
21-03-2007, 07:13
anime fanboys are pobably the saddest form of nerd.

I like to go to big convention-type events for both Warhammer and Anime, and I gotta' tell you, honestly, the anime crowds are more fun, more positive, more motivated, and more inclusive. Plus, the male-female ratio is waaaay better then the Warhammer crowd.

No offense, mind you, I'm just calling it like I see it.

speedygogo
21-03-2007, 07:59
I happen to think that an anime army is a great idea. I'll probably do one myself.

lilljonas
21-03-2007, 13:57
I'm not exactly well versed in the land of anime, but I've seen a lot of pictures of manga guys and gals looking pretty much like High Elves, to be honest. You know, bright colours and flowing dresses and all that. My opinion is that the weak point in the theme is within the theme itself: since it's just a specific type of media, I doubt anyone would be able to point at your army of High Elves/Chaos/Bretonnia/whatever and say "oh, you've done a manga army! Good for you!". It's just not that specific. Now, if you made a tyranid army of scratch-built pokemon, then we're talking... :D The manga and anime I've heard of that are more of a 'Fantasy'-fantasy kind are not that specific that people will get what you are doing, I think.

After all, some of the defining elements are already there in Warhammer: oversized heads, funky hairstyles (Empire mage, I'm looking at you!), ridiculously big swords and immense armours. It's all there.

VampireOfKhorne
21-03-2007, 14:22
I agree with a few others here, you really need to pick one genre, anime as your theme will not work, giant robots, final fantasy or hentai will (well, maybe not that last one, so much...).

For a FF theme you could go with rules for chaos, have all your characters with 3" swords, convert a chocobo or two to count as deamonic steeds, maybe a summon (adremalech, exodus, etc...) to count as a giant/dragon.

A giant robot theme would probably work best with some 40k army.

Wood elf rules would work well with a ninja theme (basilisk, ninja scroll, etc...).

Poisonpen
21-03-2007, 16:59
Before this thread degenerates into a shouting match between fanboys of variant orientations I would like to interject with my opinion on this matter:

Anime is not a genre. Anime is a medium to convey a genre. Regular animation also gets this bad wrap -and is less respected as a result of it. Anime(tion) can be action just as it can be comedy, and as a result unless the original poster were to select a more specific type (or even a specific show) this theme would be almost indistinguishable from a normal army.

Now as to the "Anime Sucks v. Anime > Life" debacle, one must remember that excess in anything is bad. Confucius knew it, Heraclitus knew it, and it seems that nobody remembers it! Fanboy-ism is a bad thing as it does lead to smelly prepubescent gathering in large amounts and giving off a negative image as they argue about anything from the proper base width to Naruto's hair color. In short Fanboyism is a waste of time, regardless of what is being admired. And do not claim one is better than the other since smelling bad is a property of people prone to being fanboys, not of fanboyism itself.

What one has to keep in mind about media in general (this includes Anime(tion), Movies, Television, Literature, or Theatre) is that 80% of it is a grand old waste of time. Most movies are not worth watching just as most books aren't worth reading (pulp and trash novels outweigh decent literature, go look in a bookstore if you disagree); and people that think anime is some golden calf that breaks, or even bends, this rule are fooling themselves. Good anime exists, it is just a bit hard to find as a lot of it never really makes it overseas (though several good movies and shows are present, just saying mostly we get table scraps).

Moderation in everything people, now can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

@Jhayden: Sephiroth would never have sex with Kefka, Kefka would have sex with Sephiroth and then leave him crying like a baby when he walks out and never calls. Kefka > Sephiroth. Universal truth.:p

loveless
21-03-2007, 18:28
I love stereotypes.
Anime fans dress up! Warhammer fans don't!
Chicago Games Day - there were at least 5 commissars, a dwarf or 2, some orks, a few Imperial Guard (no, they weren't actual military men - i inspected :P)
Every Anime fan I know is obsessed with personal hygiene...to a frightening extent, really
Ah well, I guess we just need to stick to the classic "bleep the haters" mentality

As for an anime army...as has been said, pick an anime first.

Since this is fantasy, I'll try to assign some. However, I can really only pick titles that have large groups of fighters/warriors. So...no InuYasha or similarly "focused" pieces

Trinity Blood -> Sigmarite Empire Army
Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh -> Daemonic Legions
Record of Lodoss Wars -> Elves
One Piece -> Empire (though an Araby army would probably be better in some story arcs)

wow, I just realized how annoying this is since most anime titles are overtly futuristic.

Game themes could be a bit easier.

Drakengard -> Empire or High Elves
Final Fantasy -> well, you'd have to pick a number first :P
Suikoden -> Dogs of War
Silent Hill -> Hordes of Chaos (Daemon Prince Pyramid Head, tehe)
Resident Evil -> Vampire Counts (Count Wesker for the win)
God of War -> could go lots of ways, Vampire Counts, Dogs of War, Hordes of Chaos - it's all in the modelling

Yeah, pretty much...if you can supply an appropriate title, I could probably apply an appropriate army to it.

Bookwrak
21-03-2007, 19:46
<----Removed Quote and comment about a deleted post. WarSeer Inquisition---->

Anyway, as has been said, there is no single linking factor amongst all anime other than it's animated. It's like saying, 'I want to make a cartoon army.' Well, you've just presented a category that covers everything from Micky Mouse to Heavy Metal. If you want useful feedback, you're going to have to narrow your definitions a little further.

Final thoughts:

90% of everything is crap, so statements that OMGZ, all animez I seez is da suckz! doesn't really mean anything, especially since it's more or less intended as provocative flame baiting anyway.

I'm highly amused that the 'Tau are teh animez' myth seems more prevalent on the FB side of the board than the 40k one.

Lastly, it's nan desu ka.

Vattendroppe
21-03-2007, 19:50
After all, some of the defining elements are already there in Warhammer: oversized heads, funky hairstyles (Empire mage, I'm looking at you!), ridiculously big swords and immense armours. It's all there.

Only one thing to say about that. Word. Totally. And you're right! That's the best part!

Dat Wildboy
21-03-2007, 21:44
<----Person Baiting Quote removed by the WarSeer Inquisition---->

i have no problems with anime as a whole. a few of my friends really love it. i think its ok, but i tend to sit in the middle of the continuum on most things. but with any extreme fandom there are when things start getting a little too creepy, obsessive and weird for comfort. the same is for warhammer 'extremists', but you tend to see less of them than Kaptain Kawaii the anime obsessed kid. desu.

loveless
21-03-2007, 21:49
Dat Wildboy, you do realize that "kawaii" is "cute" or "adorable", right?

there's a good deal of people that would take Kaptain Kawaii as a compliment

dominic_carrillo
21-03-2007, 21:54

cute or not hes an anime geek!

Dat Wildboy
21-03-2007, 21:55

yes i know that, it was sarcasm. desu.

Pokpoko
21-03-2007, 22:34
the same is for warhammer 'extremists', but you tend to see less of themwell,they don't have time for being kawaii(with a desu ona top,whatever said desu means:confused: ),they are far too busy with defending GW's idiotic decisions and prices:p

Dat Wildboy
21-03-2007, 22:37
desu is just polite. stick it on the end of sentences and it makes them polite or something like that. desu.

DarkAngel74
21-03-2007, 22:51
alright, westerners.... time for some asian lessons...

In Asian languages, notably in Korean or Japanese, there are various suffixes or prefixes you use differently according to the age or position of the person you are talking to. 'Desu' is one of such suffixes. You put it at the end or the sentence when you are being polite or talking to somebody older/higher than you. Therefore, it goes like this:

"Watasiwa Night Goblin Fanatic desune. Mad Cap mushroom beeru ee desuka?"
"I am Night Goblin Fanatic, sir. Do you have some Mad Cap mushroom beers?"

Use this phrase to talk to your nearest ghost of Imperial Japanese Army or Impreial Japanese Navy soldier.

lilljonas
21-03-2007, 23:50
alright, westerners.... time for some asian lessons...

"Watasiwa Night Goblin Fanatic desune. Mad Cap mushroom beeru ee desuka?"
"I am Night Goblin Fanatic, sir. Do you have some Mad Cap mushroom beers?"

Use this phrase to talk to your nearest ghost of Imperial Japanese Army or Impreial Japanese Navy soldier.

Sorry, but that was the worst Japanese I've read in years. And I sometimes "enjoy" the company of first year Japanese students.

dominic_carrillo
22-03-2007, 01:11
Jagshemash!

gorenut
22-03-2007, 03:11
Seriously, I know where the stereotypical hate vs anime is coming from and I personally do not watch that kind of Anime.. but one thing Japanese anime has going for them vs most other is that they produce cartoons that are definitely more mature oriented (ofcourse if you're willing to sift through the garbage cutesy pile).

To me, an army based on Berserk fits perfectly into Warhammer. The anime series is seriously deep. If anything, it might even be darker than Warhammer. It deals with morale values, character virtues, how far one will go to gain power, etc. Plus just the BS the main character goes through in some parts of the series is just heart wrenching.

I can see characters such as Gatsu or Griffith being represented by Chaos or elven characters because they are so extreme. Gatsu would be Khorne for the frenzy aspect and the pursuit of martial prowess (I'd imagine Blood Dragon would overall be more like Gatsu's character). Griffith would be Slaanesh or something.

Berserk is as far from cutesy as they come. If any of you plan to watch it for the first time, realize the series is kinda old so the animation isn't top notch.. but it's seriously one of the only series that has made me just watch episodes back to back.

Jhayden
22-03-2007, 04:51
but one thing Japanese anime has going for them vs most other is that they produce cartoons that are definitely more mature oriented

Please, may I redirect you to practically everything by Don Bluth.

You know, the guy who created Secret of Nimh? He also made Anastasia, American Tail, Fox and the Hound, etc etc etc

Some of the most astonishing stories and visually stimulating masterpieces of the animated genre. Just because the cartoons on TV are mostly crap (i'll admit that yes, most cartoons on TV are crap) it doesn't mean that there are no redeeming, good ol' fashion American made cartoons mainly devoid of childish imagery (Secret of Nimh is infact really dark in its core while American Tail tells a story which could just as easily be told with real actors).

gorenut
22-03-2007, 06:45
Please, may I redirect you to practically everything by Don Bluth.

You know, the guy who created Secret of Nimh? He also made Anastasia, American Tail, Fox and the Hound, etc etc etc

Some of the most astonishing stories and visually stimulating masterpieces of the animated genre. Just because the cartoons on TV are mostly crap (i'll admit that yes, most cartoons on TV are crap) it doesn't mean that there are no redeeming, good ol' fashion American made cartoons mainly devoid of childish imagery (Secret of Nimh is infact really dark in its core while American Tail tells a story which could just as easily be told with real actors).

I'm not slamming down on others. I'm a fan of all animated movies as long as they're good. It's just that the one's you mentioned are much more of a niche compared to the Japanese which has them more in the mainstream.

dominic_carrillo
22-03-2007, 06:49
i think if we keep warhammer anime free, it will be a good thing. an increasing amount of western culture is becoming tinged with anime and manga styles, which to me and others like me, seems like a stupid and lame idea instead of it being a tribute to new forms of artistic expression.

dominic_carrillo
22-03-2007, 06:56
and think about it. if we base our armies on anime, do you think japanese gamers would base their own on Mickey Mouse and Elmer Fudd? i think not.

kardos
22-03-2007, 07:27
i have a SMALL, very small group of High elves, wood elves with other odd bits added together (converted of course), to make a nice asian themed army. Mostly Samurai, Spearmen, Calvary (bout 500 pts) you could do something based around Samurai, Ninja or as mentioned before Berzerk, Lodoss War would be good to look at also.
just pick an idea of the STYLE of army you want, then find an army to match it with the concept you are going for. (i used HIGH ELVES list as i can have archers, spearmen, calvary, and Swordmasters)
and remember have fun with your army, and you will prob have to do some conversions.

Worsle
22-03-2007, 15:23
and think about it. if we base our armies on anime, do you think japanese gamers would base their own on Mickey Mouse and Elmer Fudd? i think not.

You do realise the stereo typical anime style of big eyes came directly from Mickey Mouse?

loveless
22-03-2007, 15:32
i think if we keep warhammer anime free, it will be a good thing. an increasing amount of western culture is becoming tinged with anime and manga styles, which to me and others like me, seems like a stupid and lame idea instead of it being a tribute to new forms of artistic expression.

So I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art the other day. One display was a bunch of insulation with holes cut out of it, punched out of it, and kicked out of it (judging from the angle). Another display was a bunch of canvases painted grey and labelled as memories of paintings like "Girl With a Pearl Earring". Yet another was just a big room with orange carpeting in it and nothing else.

Hey...if this is the latest form of artistic expression. I'll stick with actual art...that requires effort...and yes, manga is included in that.

When it comes down to it, people are going to make whatever army they want to make, be it anime-styled elves, Mickey Mouse Skaven, or Nightmare Before Christmas Vampire Counts.

I just dread the day we get the "modern art" or "found art" army.

"Are those minis covered in chocolate chips?"
"Yes. It represents the splintered aspect of the warriors souls during war."
"..."
"So should we start the game?"
"No...you should go away...far away."

lilljonas
22-03-2007, 15:39
Hihihi, Mickey Mouse Skaven. Now that's a weird army idea.

gorenut
22-03-2007, 19:57
Hahha, Loveless is correct on so many levels.

dominic_carrillo
22-03-2007, 20:07
and there are mangas about people screwing little kids, so i dread the day i get an army like that. step off!

Vattendroppe
22-03-2007, 20:36
and there are mangas about people screwing little kids, so i dread the day i get an army like that. step off!

I think you're missing his point...

Shagrat
22-03-2007, 21:33
You mean something like THAT :

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/594/torneio014tm6.jpg

That's my Slaanesh Daemonic Legions banner, a Manga-style picture of the army's General. Also, the daemonettes were painted with BIG eyes, to reinforce the manga style...

loveless
22-03-2007, 21:36
That's my Slaanesh Daemonic Legions banner, a Manga-style picture of the army's General. Also, the daemonettes were painted with BIG eyes, to reinforce the manga style...

If that doesn't strike fear into the hearts of Slaanesh's prey...I don't know WHAT will :p Delightfully terrifying *nods*

Aelyn
22-03-2007, 21:48
Frankly, it's ridiculous to talk about what Manga is and isn't, in much the same way it's ridiculous to talk about what live-action TV programmes are. It's a medium, not a genre. However, I would agree that the genres that manga tends to lean towards - namely romcom, sci-fi and generic action - do not tend to lend themselves to a WHFB army.

However it does lend itself very well to characters. For example, I can imagine a Chaos army with Super Saiyan Vegeta as a Daemon Prince. I can imagine a Dark Elf army with Kyo of Samurai Deeper Kyo as an Assassin. I can imagine a Skaven army with Hello Kitty as a Grey Seer*. I can imagine a Dogs of War army with Luffy as a generic hero.

* Just kidding, though it would be funny.

DarkAngel74
22-03-2007, 22:39
Before that, I wonder if any of you gentemen has watched "Berserk" or "Universal Century Gundams"? Those things deals war, ideology, human nature, and other deep, profound topics in rather macho, grunt-like war settings. I would not feel much awkwardness if Gatsu appeared in Old World for sure.

Jhayden
23-03-2007, 00:13
You mean something like THAT :

That's actually kind of pathetic (even moreso than painting toy soldiers for real), and I hope for your sake that this army is just a joke.

Doctor Thunder
23-03-2007, 06:55

Hey, I notice that you're using Sophie back there as your demon princess. Very very cool. :)

stonefox
23-03-2007, 13:10
Go for Brets or High Elves for the high action and fantasy anime. Or go for VC for the ARRG EVIL angle. Maybe Empire for run-of-the-mill (non-High) fantasy.

Anime chick needs more action lines. Also needs random Japanese characters, saying something akin to "Misuta Spakoru" or "Botan Attaka!" Engrish.

@Dominic: Don't worry about the neckbeards who smell like rotting cheese so much. Warhammer has plenty of those and it's turned me away from visiting the GW a few times. And anime may have tainted the American cartoon styles, but I enjoyed "Teen Titans" and the way it poked fun at traditional crap anime does with teardrops and that little cross that characters get when they're supposed to be angry. But hey, I think we can all agree that the unwashed, oily-haired legions of fanboys are no good. Both anime and Warhammer have them. And a point to clarify: the "enthusiastic" otaku that some people talk about can usually be called "unstable" and/or "socially deficient." Especially the weabus (the nerds who want to be Japanese) and people doing the "Yaoi for ____" crap. Also, if you're over 18 don't visit anime conventions for girls. I have a fun story about jailbait involving a drunk friend and some random chick that's obviously not fit for this board.

Aragami
23-03-2007, 13:48
Aw man could you all please keep the Anime/Manga hate out of this thread? It has nothing to do with the topic. You can discuss it in the Wasteland.

As long as it isnt some pathetic idea like a Dragonball Z/Naruto army i dont see anything wrong in building an army based on a Manga/Anime.

I had the Idea to build an army based on "Berserk" since i saw the anime. And when im done with my Eldar i will eventually build it. It will be based on the mercenarys "Band of the Hawks". As i put some thoughts in it i started to realize that it would be quiet easy to pull this off. I have 2 Options:

An imperial all knight army backed up by cannons and flanked by pistoliers and no magic. The main characters are the Lord/Hero Choices while some of the minor ones could act as unit leaders. Throw in some priests for magic protection and i think it would be a quiet fun army to play.

Or an all Knight Chaos army to present the more "elite version". Maybe with Gutts using the rules of Chrom. I mean come onhttp://home.earthlink.net/~grotesqueanatomy/2003-12_reviews/Berserk_panel.jpg

You could also start a weird deamon army with the Apostles as deamon princes/ Exalted deamons and horrors/ dryads as the core.

P.S. The idea behind the deamonettes is pretty awful

grimkeeper
23-03-2007, 14:22
Manga/Anime can be Dark and Gothic, Horror filled ,Futureistic or full of butterflies and is easily a good starting point for any army if it gets your imagination flowing ,should think its inspiered many in the studio over the years.

Z-chan
23-03-2007, 15:26
In this thread another rule of the internet can be seen

sh*tstorms always break out in discussions involving the following:
ninjas and samurai
anime

That is all.

Personally, it is quite true that the vast majority of anime and manga is absolute drivel. However the same thing could be said of all media. The crap is mixed with the gold, there's the Ren and Stimpy with my Lion King and the Dragon Ball Z and Nayruto with my Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop.

This Jhayden fellow seems a bit cheeky with personal insults... Come on, if you're trolling you can do a lot better than that.

tl, dr.

Fanboys and trolls suck.

Shagrat
23-03-2007, 15:45
Hey, I notice that you're using Sophie back there as your demon princess. Very very cool. :)

Yes, and the banner is an Manga-style Sophie.:D

<----Response to a person baiting post removed by the WarSeer Inquisition---->

Captain Brown
23-03-2007, 16:59
In this thread another rule of the internet can be seen

sh*tstorms always break out in discussions involving the following:
ninjas and samurai
anime

And since this thread has gone that way I will now lock it and review the posts and issue suspensions and warnings as necessary.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition