PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for info

George
20-03-2007, 16:41
Hey there! I'm thinking about getting into 40k, and I was wondering if you guys could list the websites on the game that you peruse. I've been all over the GW website, but I want to read more before I settle on an army. Thanks!

Majin
20-03-2007, 16:55
Well, You've come to a great website for information, just ask some questions I'm sure we can help you out :)

VetSgtNamaan
20-03-2007, 17:03
If you know anyone in your area that plays asking them questions and advice is always a great idea, plus if any store has a games night check it out and see if the players there are helpful and nice.

Free Spirit
20-03-2007, 17:12
Myself still being new i got a few tips.

1. Make sure to buy a rulebook as soon as possible. It can really work against you if you dont have it. Besides being a cool read it has all the rules you need, descriptions of armies and loads of pics. If you dont have it you will not enjoy playing as much because you will never know the rules. If you start with one, you got your basis right there.

2. Buy and collect models you like to see and choose what kind of army do you think is COOL. You can always go with what people say are the 'best' armies but you will want to have an army that you love to paint and field because you think the models are cool. Plus, best is btw really depending on playing style and perspective, not to mention luck. In essence every 'normal build' army has a respective chance against another 'normal build' army. Normal imho being no specialty lists ( like Godzilla ( tyranids, all big monsters ) or deathwing ( only terminators )). I cant stretch this point enough. If you invest money in an army you are gonna invest quite a bit of cash most of the time so make sure its worth it.

3. In conjuction with point 2, plan ahead to see if you can finance a small army at the start. Mostly you can slowly build an army and no problem but it could be a smart idea to get the rulebook, the appropiate codex and get some staffers or friendly people to help you build a 500 pts army list. Then make sure you get those 500 pts worth of models. 500 pts armies lets you play small cool games against loads of different opponents. Almost everyone has 500 points so there will be playing a plenty. After that you can slowly build your army up to 1000/1500/2000, etc.

Bregalad
20-03-2007, 18:03
Hey there! I'm thinking about getting into 40k, and I was wondering if you guys could list the websites on the game that you peruse. I've been all over the GW website, but I want to read more before I settle on an army. Thanks!

You probably ARE on the best Warhammer website. To get a glimpse of each army, go to the Tactics Subforum http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
and search for the "Tactica" thread of all armies, you are interested in. And here in the general forum you also will find "first advice" for all armies, just use the search button above on the right.

El Presedente
20-03-2007, 19:38
I'd say get a variety of models first, say, a squad from each army, or just whatever takes your fancy, you should settle on an army some time after that, thats what I did, it also leaves you with a varitey of 'bitz' for converting stuff.