PDA

View Full Version : What have i been upto?

razza
20-03-2007, 21:27
Hi all!
i just thought i'd show you what i've doing over the last few weeks, first is one of the great new dark angel captains and second is an old skool elf blood bowl team (which nearly killed me!)
Let me know what you think and any comments/questions are always welcome!
cheers! Daz
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0105.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0108-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0023.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0024-1.jpg

razza
20-03-2007, 21:29
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0025.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0026.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0028-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0027-1.jpg

razza
20-03-2007, 21:30
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0029-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/DarrenLatham/PICT0030-2.jpg
cheers!

Arhalien
What can I say but, Superb, as ever; everything is pretty much perfect.

How did the Blood Bowl team nearly kill you?

edit: I love the treeman! :D

The Dark One
love the elf team and a very nice dark angle
how did you do the green on him

schoolcormorant
20-03-2007, 21:31
wow, the DA is fantastic! though, i never thought i'dhave to say anything like it, theres a bit of static grass got on the cloak at the bottom back.

i can't believe how fine the purity seal scripture is, you truly are a god amongst men :D

amazing stuff as ever :)

SC

Deadleyheadley
20-03-2007, 21:32
Your skills are out of this world ,The DA is sweet as is the blood ball team :)

Jon_Irenicus
20-03-2007, 21:34
Very nice. The Commander looks great - I like the cloak, but I think that the green is odd - a bit in the "grey" zone (I'm used to see really, really dark Dark Angels) in a "colour" figure of speach - obviously it's great, it's just that I'm not used to it. But it works a lot better with the purple cloak than a red one like some of the 'Eavy Metal figs.

The blood bowl guys are very good too - though the minis are a bit dated (or at least, look so...). Spectacular work, all in all, with the only negative point being in the helmet feathers of the Commander being painted like the ones on the sword - and I think that the last ones were enough to allude to the "indian theme" that Deathwing has (just IMHO, of course!), otherwise, flawless jobs. Keep it up!

razza
20-03-2007, 21:43
cheers for the comments!
yes, the elf team is dated, it was painted as a commission for a spanish guy. he chose the figs and colours etc. still classic figs though!
the green on the dark angel-
*bascoat dark angels
*wash chaos black in shaded areas
*highlight dark angels green and goblin mix 50/50
*highlight goblin
*highlight goblin and bleached mix 50/50
*final highlight of bleached bone on the very edges

(bloody static grass!) ;)

luna wolf
20-03-2007, 22:21
wait a minute i have to quickly pick my jaw up from the floor, they look so nice daz, i want to know how you do it.

Nife
20-03-2007, 22:59
Awesome mate, as ever - absolutely stunning....

UnRiggable
20-03-2007, 23:22
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww.......

That is simply astonishing. Good job, good job.

kermit
20-03-2007, 23:58
Great stuff as usual.

(I missed you while you were away... in a purely "Need to see what razza has painted now" type of way... really...)

Jericho
21-03-2007, 00:39
Are you sure there's not any red/brown washes on the armor? It looks like there's a very subtle tinting of the shadows there Daz. If you ever get a chance, I'd love to see some step by step kinda work at some point, your razor's edge hilighting is insane.

<edit>

Overall how would you rate Seb Perpet as a sculptor? These DA captains are pretty nice, but I can't help but feel the details on the chest and belt are a little too far to the left. The centerline on the chest and legs are different if you look carefully. I really like some of his detail work though, the scrolls and purity seals are a lot nicer than the really flat ones you usually get with plastic figs.

</edit>

Seer Drakon
21-03-2007, 01:19
:D Razza you brought me out of hidding. Long time lurker first time posting. Man to much to say that has not been said about your painting. The elvies look great. Love them and just to follow up on the last post your dark angels are on point! What eldar did you paint for GW? Is is possible for you to post some of the stuff you did for them? Thanks....

sigur
21-03-2007, 01:51
Oh, the first of seemingly lots of the redone DA Captain miniatures is here and he looks superb.

The really great thing is the WE team though; I'm not too familiar with BB miniatures but those are great. I really miss the crazy hairdos of GW's older miniatures. The choice of colour is quite unique I think and it's executed perfectly. I also like the treeman miniature; very characterful.;)

razza
21-03-2007, 08:13
hi! thanks again for the feedback!
@jericho-
How would i rate seb as a sculpter? i like his sculpting style, he tends to sharpen a lot of his work which lends itself to painting and helps out loads. he sculpts figs with this in mind as he used to be in eavy metal. he's been working a lot on plastics and they look great also. i often give him a lot of stick for putting too much detail of some of his figs (the ones i have to paint anyway!)
i'd say he's in the top 5 of the G.W sculpters at the moment and for a young guy that's very good. you're gonna get loads more great stuff from seb over the years (he's only 6 you know!)

@seer drakon-
cheers man, i can't post pics of work stuff here but for the eldar i painted the saim hann farseer and warlocks, the dire avenger squad, the forgeworld avatar and the new shadowseer for the harlequins.

The Dark One
21-03-2007, 09:26
cheers for the comments!
yes, the elf team is dated, it was painted as a commission for a spanish guy. he chose the figs and colours etc. still classic figs though!
the green on the dark angel-
*bascoat dark angels
*wash chaos black in shaded areas
*highlight dark angels green and goblin mix 50/50
*highlight goblin
*highlight goblin and bleached mix 50/50
*final highlight of bleached bone on the very edges

(bloody static grass!) ;)

thank you razza

warboss48
21-03-2007, 19:55
Very nice my friend. I hadn't realised how big the Captains sword is.

BlazeXI
21-03-2007, 21:03
Razza, as usual your painting is sublime.

My only concern is the wax of purity seal. It does not stand out enough being different shade of the cloak colour.

yourangerisagift
21-03-2007, 22:19
I was determined not to want to do a DA army dam you! :D
I love the purple cloak it really adds something unique the figure and the purity seals are probably the most real looking parchment i've seen painted.
One word mate
MEGA!

Jericho
22-03-2007, 00:19
Hehe thanks for the info Darren, I'm eager to see some more of his stuff in the coming months.

Seer Drakon
22-03-2007, 00:57
Thanks Razza,
Is there a site I should look into to see some more of your work? What is on your plate currently and do you have time for a 40k army....one more how long have you been painting? Golden Deamon any time?

@Jericho..love the stuff on CMON...stop posting and get painting. I can't wait to see your stuff fully done. Maybe Seb didn't want to center chest and such due to the figure having his right hand up drawing the rest of his armor to the side his arm is raised./ :)

schoolcormorant
22-03-2007, 01:19
Razza mentioned his CmoN gallery a while back :) (http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/razza)

SC

Seer Drakon
22-03-2007, 04:21
Thanks SC I was looking for another site and such. I knew of this Great website.:D

Xenocidal Maniac
22-03-2007, 05:37
You bastard.

proximity
22-03-2007, 11:35
Ever so neat as always :) I like the purple purity seals balancing.

The Finn
22-03-2007, 13:41
At this point I honestly think twice about clicking on your threads because it bums me out for hours :)

Eniac
22-03-2007, 13:44
Beautiful work as usual :) Those old elves are very ugly miniatures but your painting has done them a great justice.

razza
22-03-2007, 16:04
thanks again to all who have posted comments and feedback!
cheers! Daz

Yossarian
22-03-2007, 21:28
wait... i must find a flaw in the DA captain, thi could take some time.... and possibly a blow-torch

that was meant to be a compliment as to what seems to be a flawless job, good work

spikyjames
22-03-2007, 21:49
Razza, you never fail to amaze just with the sheer accuracy of your painting.

how long on average does it take you to do a mini the likes of the DA master?

james

Mudski
22-03-2007, 21:52
Very nice! Sweet to see the good ol' blood bowl models from my youth done in the good ol' horribly bright colour schemes from my youth as well. Have to say that they do suit those models rather nicely though.

If I had to criticize (which I don't but hey, this is the intraweb;) ), I would say that the Dark Angel Master's eyes are a little dark for my liking. That's it, can't really see anything else at all to find fault with.

I have to say that as I get better at painting, it helps me more and more to look at the work of people who are better still, I can now see what I actually need to do to acheive similiar results, whereas when I was younger I just went "WOW I could never do that".

Your freehand work still rules all though, just looked at the Farseer on your CMON gallery.....

WOW, I'll never be able to do that :)

torso777
22-03-2007, 21:55
Oh Lordy! Why must you tempt me to start up Blood Bowl by showing off those beautiful models.

The purple robe on the DA commander is just wonderful.

razza
22-03-2007, 22:20
hi,
@spiky- hi mate, this fig took about 2 and a half days work time to paint, i wish i'd have done a bit of freehand now looking at it but there you go.

@mudski- the elf figs take you back don't they? ahh the good old days... what am i thinking! they where a pain in the ass to paint! bloody studs!:cries: :D and i've just seen your dark angel conversion in another thread, very very nice mate! did you know we are hiring staff?.......
cheers!

schoolcormorant
22-03-2007, 22:27
hey Razza - what's the next mini? :D

SC

razza
22-03-2007, 22:29
at the moment i'm working my way through ANOTHER blood bowl team commission. it's the old chaos all stars team. i'll be glad when i finish it as i can get on with some cool characters again! i think i'm set to do a termi librarian after that. :)

Jericho
22-03-2007, 22:39
Ooh should be a pleasure to see your Termi Librarian. Blood Bowl figs are kindof a pain, I've done a team and they aren't all that inspiring. I feel your pain, buddy :D

skavenguy13
23-03-2007, 01:51
You know, with that skills you could like... get paid and stuff! You're so good!
oh, wait...
:o

Though I saw something that bothered me: many of those minis are "clones". Admittedly the paint jobs are GREAT but I must say I think it sticks out a lot that they look like pairs of twins.
EDIT:
oh yeah, and I think they looked too much like they just bought new clothes. And put them in the washing machine before the match. With a lovely lemon odour. For a warhammer army I could understand, but this is bloodbowl!

Eniac
23-03-2007, 09:41
One thing I do notice about the DA character, and this is testiment to how amazingly talented Razza is; He uses such fine layers that you can still see the imperfections in the surface of the casting. Most noticeably on the folds in the robe towards the centre of the picture

At least this is what I see. I seriously doubt it could be any mistake on Razza's part as bad as thick clogged up paint. It has to be the metal.

Good stuff.

Mudski
23-03-2007, 12:17
hi,
@spiky- hi mate, this fig took about 2 and a half days work time to paint, i wish i'd have done a bit of freehand now looking at it but there you go.

@mudski- the elf figs take you back don't they? ahh the good old days... what am i thinking! they where a pain in the ass to paint! bloody studs!:cries: :D and i've just seen your dark angel conversion in another thread, very very nice mate! did you know we are hiring staff?.......
cheers!

Heh, just left the employ of GW, used to work in the Bristol store but I've now moved to Cornwall:rolleyes: So not that close to Nottingham really!
Are the Chaos All Stars going to be in the old-style paint scheme too? Green and kinda Maroon if I remember... Also they were a mixed-race team. Not sure if you're still allowed to do that but I always liked the idea of one Mino, one Ogre, one troll, skaven, Dark elf, goblins etc... all playing together
Aaaaw, sweet, chaos brings the whole world together:)

Jon_Irenicus
24-03-2007, 05:48
i can't post pics of work stuff here but for the eldar i painted the saim hann farseer and warlocks, the dire avenger squad, the forgeworld avatar and the new shadowseer for the harlequins.

Well then, if you really don't mind me asking, how does the 'Eavy Metal team paint those gorgeous Blood Angels? (well, I took this off since even if you can't dig that info up, you'll at least have some tips on painting that god-awful blood red - especially because the red might work but the chaos black will look out of place. I'm desperate for advice :cries:)

Anyway, sorry if this isn't the place to be asking such questions. And thanks for the DA quick guide, I might have to borrow it if I consider painting up some DA vets ;)

Brush your teeth
24-03-2007, 10:10
as usual Razza, your work makes me want to cut my fingers :p

@ Jon_Irenicus: if you want i can PM you a good method for blood angels, i get quite a lot of compliments for the red on mine.. its about the only colour i can paint well :p

BYT

Jon_Irenicus
24-03-2007, 15:25
BYT I'd be more than happy to see your technique, and thanks for your trouble :)

BlazeXI
25-03-2007, 10:15
Well then, if you really don't mind me asking, how does the 'Eavy Metal team paint those gorgeous Blood Angels? (well, I took this off since even if you can't dig that info up, you'll at least have some tips on painting that god-awful blood red - especially because the red might work but the chaos black will look out of place. I'm desperate for advice :cries:)

there is a Blood Angels tutorial in new White Dwarf. It involves the upcoming Foundation Paints. If rumours are true Painting Blood Angels will be easier (with Foundation Paints) than ever.

Jon_Irenicus
25-03-2007, 12:33
there is a Blood Angels tutorial in new White Dwarf. It involves the upcoming Foundation Paints. If rumours are true Painting Blood Angels will be easier (with Foundation Paints) than ever.

The English one? Hmmm... Let me check what number it is. I might just break a 3 year habit and actually buy a White Dwarf :)

Mudski
25-03-2007, 13:13

Hopefully everything will be easier, imagine being able to paint Deathwing with only one or two coats instead of six or seven!

Also, anyone who has ever even attempted the until-now very ill-advised Howling Griffons scheme will be jumping for joy!

BlazeXI
25-03-2007, 14:23
The English one? Hmmm... Let me check what number it is. I might just break a 3 year habit and actually buy a White Dwarf :)

WD328 April 2007

actually 2 tutorials.

One pages 56-57 by Neil Hodgson this brings them to table top level.

Then Pete Foley takes over to show the 'Eavy Metal Expert level. That is on page 58.

Jon_Irenicus
25-03-2007, 15:00
:cries:

I'll get that in June at best. Oh well. I'll check the GW site for the cover so I can remember it if I see it.

Thanks a whole bunch! :)

EDIT: it only mentions the Master of the Ravenwing in the 'Eavy Metal painting guide :/