PDA

View Full Version : Ko's Battlewagon (and maybe more)

Ko Improbable
21-03-2007, 16:45
So, after some thought and a little research into various "official" Ork vehicles, I've decided I'm going to continue with my plan to turn a Rhino and Predator I have into a Battlewagon.

The original idea was for it to become a Battlewagon with a removable module that would turn it into a Battlefortress, such as the Forgeworld Imperial Armor 2 book contains. I greatly overestimated how long of a hull I'd get by cutting off a sloped end from each vehicle and merging them. I thought it'd end up about 9 or 10 inches long. It's only like 6" long. This is what I get for insufficient planning.

Here's what we have so far:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/IMG_2750-600x293.jpg

Now, some of you master converters might quickly ask, "why not just add an extension in the middle to get it up to 10 inches?" Well, that would work except for one thing: the tracks. I'd either have to make little bits to "round off" the track sections to make it look like each side has a pair of tracks, or extend those track sections 4 inches, which I'm not confident I can do, or at least I'm not confident I can do them well enough for my own standards.

At this point, I was going to give up, especially since a friend of mine has been talking about still wanting to continue making vehicles for my Speed Freaks army (though, he's been "working" on them for like three years now, so I don't really want to wait for him), but that would mean I'd have ruined a Rhino and a Predator for no good reason. So, I've decided to forge on.

The plan (as loose as it is) is to add a housing for a kannon to the front of the tank, convert those sponsons to mount twin-linked big shootas, and add a larger transport bay (primarily taller to accomodate big Orks). I'm undecided on whether or not I'll widen the vehicle as of yet, though I sort of feel I ought to if I'm going to claim it can hold the number of Orks the rules say it can.
Two further aspects of the project that I may decide to add in, but am still undecided on, are..
1.) An extended front end, likely with a pair of wheels on it, in an attempt to bring the tank to the 10" length I'd been hoping for so I can claim it's a superheavy after adding..
2.) A removable module. This would likely mount a pair of twin-linked rokkit launchas and add enough room for a little bit of crew to fire them. It would sit on top of the transport bay. If I don't end up making the tank large enough to be called a superheavy, I would write up some VDR stats for it to just be an 'Eavy Battlewagon or some such nonsense.
I'm more likely to do the removable module than I am to add that extended front end, mostly because I'm wanting to keep it as tank-like as possible.

So, the next steps are paint stripping and then a date with my "power chisel" to remove gubbins and such. Should the hulls become disassembled during those two stages, widenning the tank will get a lot more consideration.

Ko Improbable
26-03-2007, 19:48
So, we've gotten the paint stripped off and the gubbins I wanted removed, removed.
Now comes the part I'm most likely to screw up: making a new center hull.
I decided that the existing center hull just isn't going to be wide enough, not to mention that it's not in the greatest of shape after being seperated from the track sections.
Hopefully, I can make it right, and decent looking.

scrubout
26-03-2007, 20:02
Ooo I love me a good Ork vehicle log, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Good luck Ko!

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

Ko Improbable
28-03-2007, 03:26
Well, as predicted, I screwed up the center hull somehow. Mismeasured, miscalculated, whatever. I made the back piece too large. I don't think it'll effect things too much. I'll grind that back piece down at the same time as I grind the front to an angle. So, unless I decide to remake it, instead of the center hull sticking up a little over the track sections, it looks like it will be recessed a little.
The mistake you can't see in the picture is one I'm not sure how I managed to do. One edge of one of the sides ended up slightly curved. I cut these pieces with a table saw, which is good at doing straight cuts.
So, I stuck it on the front end so I'll grind away most of the curved portion.
After I get the center hull done and mounted, the kannon housing will be next. I'll be doing a nearly exact copy of the ones on the gunwagons, so hopefully it'll turn out as well. Though it means buying another demolisher mount. I'll probably have to order a Basilisk to keep it company during the trip. ;D

So, still thinking you won't be disappointed, scrubout? ;D
BTW, is that Geddy Lee in your avatar?

Feor
28-03-2007, 04:25
I think, overall, you could compensate by just building up. Don't worry about how long it is (though a ZZap gun on a trailer might be interesting with a couple grots hanging on for dear life) but put a great honking assault tower on top of it with orks stickin' out at all kinds a angles ready ta shoot da humie scum and make sure they don't get their gubbins back!

violenceha
28-03-2007, 05:01
ha, first thing that popped into my head when i was reading this was the voltron cartoon with all the vehicles that formed the big robot, not the tigers(?). The second thing was ork versions of the power rangers. I'm looking forward to this.

Ko Improbable
28-03-2007, 15:51
Minor update.

Well, I ran the center hull through the wider belt sander to slope the front end. Then had to run it through the smaller one because the larger one left the front end uneven (the left side was longer than the right side sort of uneven). The end result isn't quite flawless, but acceptable, so I glued the front piece on. It'll need some sanding, itself, to get it right, but that'll have to wait until after work.

Hopefully, the kannon housing won't give me as many problems as the center hull has.

Ko Improbable
29-03-2007, 02:54
Okay, so the basic chassis is done. I'm not entirely sure I like how wide it is, but I want it to look like it can hold the full compliment. Hopefully it'll look better when I have the rest of it done.

scrubout
29-03-2007, 05:51
John Lennon, Ko.

It looks better than what you started with actually, I like how the hull has bulked out more.

More gubbinz!

-peace out

Ko Improbable
29-03-2007, 14:32
John Lennon, Ko.

It looks better than what you started with actually, I like how the hull has bulked out more.

More gubbinz!

-peace out

D'oh! I should have known that was John Lennon. I guess I just don't see enough pictures of him.

For some reason, Firefox is being a pain. Had to open a different browser just to be able to use the upload button on photobucket, and it's causing warseer to not be able to count (I attached four images, it's complaining that I've attatched five).

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonWithKannonHousingFront.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonWithKannonHousingFrontRi.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonWithKannonHousingLeft.jpg

I've added the kannon housing and patched up some of the holes left by the "power chisel" (sometimes the glue is stronger than the plastic).
I'm giving some serious thought to making the other two parts out of .118" plasticard. It's just more cooperative when trying to make boxes.
I think I'm going to add a pair of bolt-on big shootas to the passenger compartment, poking forward along side the kannon housing. Probably something like the ball-joint sort of thing.

For those that are following this, keep in mind that there may be a point where I stop for a while and wait for some money to come in. Things are tight at the moment, so I may have to wait before ordering bits like the demolisher mount for the kannon.

Spacejens
29-03-2007, 19:06
Warseer counts smileys as images... ;)

I like the low and wide look of the wagon. Should be pretty stable as well as being difficult to maneuver. Perfectly orky :)

Ko Improbable
29-03-2007, 21:56
Warseer counts smileys as images... ;)

I like the low and wide look of the wagon. Should be pretty stable as well as being difficult to maneuver. Perfectly orky :)

Well, that's putting a bright spin on it, I supose.

The smiley thing is weird, though.

Ko Improbable
31-03-2007, 20:47
Okay, the passenger bay has been added. I'd decided to wait until I could get some more .118" plasticard, as it's more cooperative for me.

I'm still thinking about how to mount the removable upper gundeck and trying to come to a decision about whether or not I want to put on the pair of bolt-on big shootas that'll be mounted on either side of the kannon housing.

Regarding the construction of the upper gundeck, should I make it the full width of the passenger bay, or more narrow?

Spacejens
01-04-2007, 20:29
If you don't have any special plans for the unused parts of the roof, I think you really should make the gun deck as wide as possible. To have an empty space outside it would look weird I think.

Ko Improbable
09-04-2007, 14:41
So, the Battlewagon portion is more or less complete. I'll probably rummage around to find something for exhaust pipes, but I can't think of any other bits that the base Battlewagon could use. I had attached some bolt-on big shootas to it, but decided to remove them. My battleplan for them is likely to see the passengers disembark on the first turn and hoof it so the tanks can operate as tanks and not transports. This isn't 100% certain at the moment, so I might put them back on.

Base Battlewagon:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonMostlyComplete1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonMostlyComplete0.jpg

The upper gundeck is assembled, though it looks a bit sparse. I haven't put on the bits that will hold it on during play, yet, though. I want to do something more with it, but I'm undecided what that'll be. As it's not a superheavy, I don't want to go overboard. It's pushing 200 points as is. Ideas I've considered so far:
1.) An Ork Field (it'll be a VDR vehicle with this gundeck anyway) is something I've considered. I'm going to be sticking with the armour values of the battlewagon, so it could always use a little more survivability. This would be cheap and still have the potential to fill up some of that unused space.
2.) I have the bits necessary to put a second Kannon on the gundeck, so that's certainly a possibility. I probably won't be starting on the second battlewagon for a while, and I have to order some GW sprues before I can start on it, anyway, so using up the demolisher mount I bought for it isn't a really major problem.
3.) Put two or three Lobbas on it for it to be something of an artillery vehicle (one that can really punish anyone who tries to deepstrike near it). I may just make an alternative gundeck for this sort of purpose.

Battlewagon with Gundeck as it is:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonMostlyCompletewithGun-1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/koimprobable/40ktanks/WIP/BattlewagonMostlyCompletewithGundec.jpg

scrubout
09-04-2007, 17:06
To liven it up a bit, perhaps put some carbody mesh around the upper gundeck to create windows sort of?

It looks really blocky, but enough gubbinz should fix it I think.

-peace out

Ko Improbable
10-04-2007, 00:54
To liven it up a bit, perhaps put some carbody mesh around the upper gundeck to create windows sort of?

It looks really blocky, but enough gubbinz should fix it I think.

-peace out

Please elaborate on what you mean by carbody mesh. I've been really wanting to put some windows on this thing, but I couldn't think of any good way of doing so with my limited skills. I'm thinking of fiddling with thinner plasticard and one of those paper cutters with the long, lever-like arm, but I'm not holding my breath for that to work.

Dakkagor
10-04-2007, 01:03
you should add a tiled roof to the top, like the old style battlewagons, that would look awesome.

As for car mesh, he means the stuff you get in halfords (a car and bike part shop) which is used for repairs. It comes in sheets and can be used for decking and creating nice looking windows in tanks.

nanktank
10-04-2007, 02:15
Lots of glyph plates everywhere, that will make it a lot more orky

Ko Improbable
10-04-2007, 18:04
you should add a tiled roof to the top, like the old style battlewagons, that would look awesome.

As for car mesh, he means the stuff you get in halfords (a car and bike part shop) which is used for repairs. It comes in sheets and can be used for decking and creating nice looking windows in tanks.

No tiled roof.

Never heard of halfords. Ok, let me rephrase the question. What is car mesh used for on cars?

jasevx
10-04-2007, 18:15
Fixing holes caused by rust

Ko Improbable
10-04-2007, 23:07
Fixing holes caused by rust

So, it's kinda like the mesh used to fix holes in drywall? Something to give some underlying strength to whatever goop you use that'll turn into "replacement car body?"

I'll do a little digging around whilst I'm at Walmart today, see what I can come up with.

sanctusmortis
10-04-2007, 23:46
It's a metal mesh in a very fine diamond pattern, used here (http://www.warfactory.co.uk/scenery/6mmfences.php) for the fences in the top image.