PDA

View Full Version : The lack of threads about racing games...

Firebreath
27-07-2005, 20:18
... disturbs me.

Let's hear about your racing games history, if you have any. If not, why not?

First racing game I played for a prolonged period was probably Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on Amiga 500. With a joystick.

I've never been a fan of racing games on PC, although I had a few tries with a steering wheel and pedals. Somehow, it just didn't work for me.

Now, I think racing games really come to life on consoles. I think a controller is particularly suited to play racing games.

I found out when I bought a DreamCast with Metropolis Street Racer. Great game, great controls, and I really liked the implementation of the Kudos-system, where you'd score points for overtakes, slides, clean sections...

Project Gotham Racing on Xbox is the sequel to MSR, and again, great game and controls and a re-worked Kudos-system.
Too bad they didn't include the day and night cycle from MSR. Plus, the tracks in London, Tokyo and San Francisco got slightly dumbed down. New York got added.
Nevertheless, great game.

Project Gotham Racing II featured a lot more different cities, but a lot less different tracks per city. Again, the Kudos-system got re-worked and better, with you now being able to gather Kudos-tokens at level-ups with which you buy new cars. Obvious plus for racing-enthousiasts is the inclusion of the Nürburgring.

Latest addition is Forza Motorsport. A whole different cup of tea altogether, this is just about being the fastest. The adjustable difficulty setting is enough to challenge everyone, particularly in the later levels where you have to fit your car into a certain class and still be competative.
With the numerous upgrades (engine, suspension, brakes, turbos) it is possible to convert the slowest and oldest piece of junk into a rampaging wildebeest which needs some serious work on suspension- and spoiler-settings just to keep it on the road.
On the negative side: there are just not that many different tracks, so it can become really repetative.

So, let's hear it. :)

Oh, and this should be about racing games on ALL platforms, not just Xbox. ;)

Shuya
27-07-2005, 20:23
ill only play burnout 3 because its way more exiting, otherwise racing games dull me

Sojourner
27-07-2005, 21:04
Boring.

*shrug*.

Captain Blood
27-07-2005, 21:16
Initial D: Arcade Stage. It's the only racer I've really gotten into. Aside from Gran Turismo anyway :p

I guess I've played that for about... 3 years now, have almost a dozen different cards for the game, etc. I can't get enough of racing other players, but these days, most see my stats and run... I'm not even that good either.

f2k
27-07-2005, 21:28
Have you guys tried Trackmania (http://www.trackmaniagame.com/)? It’s a fiendishly difficult arcade racing game. Good fun, but can be very frustrating at times…

x-esiv-4c
28-07-2005, 00:48
Hm, played the wipe-out series to death, rock'n'roll racing ( if that counts ). Less mainstream racings games any way.

PelsBoble
28-07-2005, 15:54
I find the Need for speed series quite fun :)

Gran turismo 3 was also a game i played rather much, but i get bored when its just the same crap every race ;)

WLBjork
28-07-2005, 16:34
Interstate '76 and '82 - both good car-combat games. '76 was better games-play wise IMO, but '82 was better graphics (and the cars didn't explode when you landed them on their roofs - a major plus!)

GTA 1 & 2 - alright, they're top down, but they're still fun for a quick blast, as is Carmageddon.

Currently I'm playing NFSU2 the most often - it's the only modern driving game I've got, although I am thinging about GTA:SA

Oh - and for a quick online blast, Dragracer at XGen (xgenstudios.com) is worth 10 mins of your time.

Vberg
28-07-2005, 17:30
I think warhammer and racing cars dont tend to go together. I love a bit of Formula 1 myself.

I used to love toca touring cars. Just being able to smash up your car till your hearts content was great. And once you found the cheat for the tank then that was just classic. The sequal was good to.

I loved Gran Turismo 3 untill my friend lost my copy :mad: .

Firebreath
28-07-2005, 18:18
I think warhammer and racing cars dont tend to go together.
LOL! So I noticed! :p

Sockeye
08-08-2005, 20:20
Initial D and GTA. Used to play it when friends came over. but it gets boring quickly.

Warhammer_freak
08-08-2005, 20:44
I was thinking the same thing, you could search back for quite a while and there are so ltitle about racing games. I love them, althought most of my mates dont so I dont get to race against them much, and its only really any good when they put up a bit of a challenge.

My latest is forza and I got to say it is amazing. Simulation damage is the only way forward and you have to be careful just not to over rev it just at the start line which in all games you can hold accel as long as you like.

A tip which I found out bud. If your having trouble trying to get a car handling right, and no matter how hard you try your best to adjust the camber, spring rates, diff settings and it just still handles like a pig... Go to a free run and try and find the GT race car type of the car you are trying to set up (i.e Corvette GT car thing). Go to the tune settings for that when you enter a race.. and copy all of the settings to your own car (I found a pen and paper helped lol). apply them and it usually works wonders. :D

Kaze
08-08-2005, 21:03
Well, racing games... Lotus 1, 2 and 3, Jaguar XJ220 and Test Drive 1 and 2 for the Amiga 500. Need for Speed 1 on the PC. Sega Rally on the Saturn and Metropolis on Dreamcast. Porsche Challenge in the Playstation. Those are my favourites.

But they are all amateurs compared to Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3 and 4. Gran Turismo 4 is undoubtly the best Car / Racing game in history. One could talk about some features that don't come in the game like car crashes and stuff, but it's simple: 700 cars, 50 tracks and a dream O.S.T. is enough to beat competition. Plus, if played with a home cinema nearby and the Driving Foce Steering Wheel, it becomes an experience only matched by the one Metal Gear Solid 3 gave to me.

I have Gran Turismo 3 100% complete, and I'm half way on GT4 (although 2 out of 3 24 hour endurance are already done), so I'm a big fanatic of this series. I recommend them to everyone, specially play all of them in order to see the progress made by Polyphony in the creation of the different titles.

Kohhna
08-08-2005, 21:58
Not big into racers but i did quite enjoy Mario Cart, Micro-Machines on the old systems and Hydro Thunder and MSR on the Dreamcast.