PDA

View Full Version : Custom Units and leaders

AlphaLegion
22-03-2007, 20:49
I love making up my own leaders and some fun and odd units myself, I write short storys and rules form them all. Making sure they stay fair, always asking other players do they think its fair or not.

Charax
22-03-2007, 20:52
Stories are fine, rules...probably not. Of course, the question is utterly worthless without an example of one of these rules. We can't possibly know if these rules are "This sergeant has 6 S10 attacks" or "this sergeant pays 5 points less for master-crafting"

Generally, no - if you're adding rules to a unit they're usually advantages without corresponding disadvantages. How can it be fair if you're adding something and taking away nothing?

Onisuzume
22-03-2007, 22:43
I'll be the one who decides wether they balanced enough or not.

AlphaLegion
22-03-2007, 22:45
I always make sure other people think they balanced, normaly I give them alot of flaws >.<

The Song of Spears
22-03-2007, 23:12
Why don't you go ahead and post one of your custom units here and let everyone see what you are talking about. :)

AlphaLegion
22-03-2007, 23:22
Chaos Profit
Points WS BS S T W I A LD SV
30 4 3 4 3 1 4 1 - -/4+
Wargear: Heavy Bolter, Powerfist, Bounded Armor

Character: Counts as wargear

Special Rules:
Bounded Armor: Grants the user 4+ Inv save but when the host dies(choas lord that using him) he dies too.

He pretty fun, I used him when I play my friends orc army.

colonel c
22-03-2007, 23:29
sounds balanced.

junglesnake
22-03-2007, 23:29
If I create units or characters - and I have to say that normaly its characters, I tend to use the "counts as" rule.

For example I have an Orc Warlord in fantasy converted from the 40k warboss with the Squig attack arm.

I wanted to use the model as I loved its feel and pose so I used a "counts as" option for the squig attack arm. I think I used something like a +1 attack or similar. Get a fancy model with a bit of wargear that makes it a bit fluffier.

I was thinking of paying more points for it, say as much as a squig hopper so that it attacked independently and then went loose if the Warlord was killed but I decided against that as it became complicated!!!!

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2007, 23:32
30 points? Needs to be a lot more. Hevay Bolter Servators are 25 points, and don't have a power fist. Dying when the lord dies is no big deal, since if they are in his unit, you will be taking the servators off first anyway.

lord_blackfang
22-03-2007, 23:32
Not a fan of homebrew units, mostly due to the cheesy **** people publish on the forums.

Just check these out:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1292657&postcount=21

eyeolas
22-03-2007, 23:37
I would say no to home mades.

I would say yes however to home made units with writen rules that are just cool modles. The only thing I look for is officual rules, so so long as it is just a cool set of modles you have made to represent something already there, I'm cool with it.

AlphaLegion
22-03-2007, 23:38
I am working on a leader atm. I am going to post her story on the forum when I done writing it. I am trying to make her into a model, just need to find a good female body.

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2007, 23:38
I used to run a special character I made myself a long time ago, was a Marine captain for all intends and purposes, except one. He paid 10 points for +1 Str, but -2 Initiative (bionic arm).

AlphaLegion
22-03-2007, 23:41
you dont run him any more?

Lord Malek The Red Knight
22-03-2007, 23:42
i voted: "Yes, after I check there rules out", but if it had been multiple choice then: "Yes, I make them myself" would be my second choice.

IMO, best thing to do, if you intend on actually using the rules (rather than just writing them for the fun of the exercise), is to work with your opponent to make them "fair" (or agree that they dont need to be...).

~ Tim

Slaaneshi Slave
22-03-2007, 23:43
you dont run him any more?

I don't use special characters at all anymore, I think they are units only new players and bad generals use.

AlphaLegion
22-03-2007, 23:47
I don't use special characters at all anymore, I think they are units only new players and bad generals use.

I can understand why you say that. some of them are powerful, others are not so good tho.

xibo
22-03-2007, 23:49
In dark ages of the past ( two years ago ) I started doing a 40k comic that inspired me in starting IG later... Nowadays ALL of my command squad consists of 'special characters' of said comic, all with their special rules. Not to mention my 300pts IC alpha psyker ( he won't lose power; if he's too cheesy he'll get more expensive ), or certain other stuff, like my SC Conscript Veteran :D

==Me==
22-03-2007, 23:50
I don't mind player-created characters if they are reasonable and not sprung upon ==Me== last minute. I've made up a few units and characters for ==My== Angels of the Lion, but I try to make them characterful before I go for effectiveness. Homebrew characters can make for some interesting games, but they also tend to lead to overpowered refuse.

Iceheart2112
23-03-2007, 05:24
Here's one of my homebrews w/ special rules:
Hailing from the Fi'rios sept, Shas'o Nars'ka Lynu (Cmdr. Stonestrike) represents the bedrock of the Tau and Fire Warrior society. Noted for his strict but fair leadership, his Cadre has always refused to surrender to defeat even under horrific conditions, holding the line against all comers. Having worked his way up through the ranks, O'Nars'ka is one of the few Broadside pilots to earn such a high rank. Understanding the importance of pinpoint strikes against a weak link, he often turned the tide of battle with a few well placed shots. The Earth Caste has made him a special Broadside suit in honor of his deeds.

Shas'o Nars'ka -

XV-88-2 Experimental Broadside suit (Same stats as a Shas'o, but w/a 2+ Save)
Railgun, SMS, Shield Generator (+4 inv, +3 inv in CC), ExSS, HWMT, HWDC, 2 Shield Drones

ExSS - An experimental version of the Advanced Stabilizing System, coupled with a more powerful powerpack, allows O'Nars'ka to move a full 6" in the movement phase while not counting as moving, though he still may not assault or make an assault move if he fired heavy weapons.

Pt cost: I'd say around 180-200

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3994/2qy6.jpg

Thenmy
23-03-2007, 09:03
... I am trying to make her into a model, just need to find a good female body.

I search for those, like, all the time! Where are they?!

On topic, here's an errata I wrote for Tigurius (these are not new rules, just clarifications of what he can already do):

Cheese: Instead of casting a Psychic Power in the Shooting phase, Tigurius may simply press the I-WIN-button.

AlphaLegion
24-03-2007, 02:08
here is a character I am still working on
http://www.freewebs.com/kinghtsofthepurplequeen/specialcharacters.htm

If you can give me any feed back on her please PM me or just post here.
I am willing taking any advice to make her a fair character.

swordwind
24-03-2007, 02:23
I search for those, like, all the time! Where are they?

www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk for all your nekkid toy soldier lady needs.

dugaal
24-03-2007, 02:42
Like Blackfang mentioned, its easy to delv into cheesy points-costs, because if your making it for yourself, well subconsious egoism steps in. more bonuses will be added to the unit, then a few points will be added as an afterthought.

first thing you should do when designing a new unit, is see if it matches any other unit, in whatever army (otherwise if something in your own army is similiar, do counts-as). If something is close, follow those rules and points cost, adding a bit for the privilige of accessability.
Then the fact of army balance must come into play; if your adding some uber unit to imperial guard for example its unbalanced, as IG are designed for cheap, weak units, etc).

As for your 4+ inv saved, hb/pf, near marine stat'ed follower, start with sm cost, add hb,add pf,add aura, and there you go. Anymore you should add for the versatility of a heavy weapon and a fist combined could be offset by the downside you mentioned.

Think of the VDR rules, if you want to make-your-own, it'll cost ya extra

eyeolas
31-03-2007, 17:09

I share EXACTLY the same views. In fantasy speshal charectars are, well, speshal! In 40k they are just comanders or the like with one or two new rules, or just a comander with an extra good stat line for a bunch more points.

Kross
31-03-2007, 17:54
Personally I'm willing to allow them if I think their rules are o.kish. The name of the game is fun and since I usually play with buddies I'm down to let them try something new. As for me I may have a converted unit or character and though they might give them a little fluff their rules remain the same.

BloodiedSword
31-03-2007, 18:02
I am 100% against home brew rules in normal games. If you have a really cool conversion that you just have to use, then by all means use "counts as". It is incredible what you can shoe horn into "counts as" if you put your mind to it.

For example, I really liked Juggernauts in my old Chaos army. Thanks to the current Chaos Codex I can no longer use them. So I did what any sensible person would do and looked for a counts as.

Now I field a Juggernaut that counts as a single Obliterator, except I don't use the ranged weapons. Sure, I have to put up with a load of wasted points by doing so. Sure, I have to Deep Strike instead of Summoning. But I have a 100% legal way of using one of my favourite models, so I am happy. I am happy because I am doing this not to gain any kind of rules advantage, but because I want to field the model.

Likewise, my opponents are always happy because I am not putting myself at any advantage whatsoever by doing this and in fact am putting myself at a slight disadvantage. Everyone wins.

So, my opinion is - if you want to use something, find a "counts as". If you cannot find a "counts as" that you feel represents the model, then it sounds like it didn't belong in the army in the first place.

Campaigns are a completely different vessel of sea creatures however. I am all for using home made characters/units/whatever to spice up a campaign, at the GM's discretion.

Son of Makuta
31-03-2007, 18:53
I do this all the time, I just don't actually use them (maybe I should...) I wrote rules for an Alpha level psyker once, for a laugh - 200 odd points, nearly invulnerable and absolutely kickass, but every turn you roll a d6 - if it's equal to or less than the turn number, he gets riddled with daemons and explodes!

Normally, though, I just use extensive counts-as to incorporate my wild conversions.

caliburn
31-03-2007, 18:58
I love custom models and stuff like that, but i don't really care for custom rules. I just don't trust players' judgment in determining point values and making fair rules and stuff. I'm sure most players don't spend time playtesting their units to the extent GW does...

caliburn

Lyinar
31-03-2007, 19:29
I've made quite a few random characters, just building them with what's already available.

It's far harder to fall into the trap of most homebrew stuff if you look at what you want and try to see how you can make it with stuff that already exists.

As far as Special Characters, I don't use them for the most part. The characters that are specifically tied to a particular army (like O'Shovah, Sammael, and Belial), however, I have no problem with using, and they don't fall under the "only a n00b or an idiot would use them" category.

The Black Knight
31-03-2007, 19:53
Hi all,

I decided to make a home-brew unit, tomb guard chariots. They were balanced, as i just replaced the warrior with a tomb guard.

I think some of the homebrew rules are balanced, but they generally are overpowered or biased to the cretor's army. At my club all of our homebrew are balanced or underpowered.

Cheers,
The Black Knight

Onisuzume
31-03-2007, 20:06
here is a character I am still working on
http://www.freewebs.com/kinghtsofthepurplequeen/specialcharacters.htm

If you can give me any feed back on her please PM me or just post here.
I am willing taking any advice to make her a fair character.
Imo; that char is rather...odd.
It doesn't seem too overpowering though. (like some demon princes with the same cost are...)

www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk for all your nekkid toy soldier lady needs.
Somehow I get the feeling that some of the sculpters there are pervs.

I think some of the homebrew rules are balanced, but they generally are overpowered or biased to the cretor's army. At my club all of our homebrew are balanced or underpowered.
You mean like my 10 Point devastator marine with twin omega assault cannons(48" S8 AP3 Assault D6+D,3 Rending) and a pair of lightning claws as well as the ability to fire both guns on the move? :D (yes, this *is* meant as a joke due to overly obvious cheese)

eyeolas
31-03-2007, 20:49
I'd let you take one, if there were another two 0s after that number...

Lancaster
01-04-2007, 05:43
Sometimes we come up with special rules for scenario based characters

like, rescue the Mentor legions Marine with a special plasma gun that doesn't overheat, or a infantry carried assault cannon

that sort of thing