PDA

View Full Version : Armos' Chaos Undivided Army needs to get done!

armos
23-03-2007, 01:41
Well I suppose it's come to this... been working on a Chaos Undivided army for a couple of years now and had it all pretty much finished and painted... so obviously I did the only sensible thing and decided to start the whole thing again from scratch!!!

Only after stripping the paint off half my army and cutting the other half up for spares did I realise the error I had made but it was too late.

anyways the new army is coming along nicely but slowly... I'm kinda hoping some positive feedback will spur me on to finish the job I started so foolishly. I kinda want to get at least 2000pts done by the beginning of the Summer campaign (there I said it.. now I can look at this post in 5 months having painted three models and laugh at how young an niaeve I once was)

The idea behind the army is they are the remnants of a chaos tribe that were all but wiped out so became a band of raiders... picking up whoever joins them as well as whatever equipment they can lay their hands on (I have a more detailed background written but I'll share that later)

Anyways I give you what will hopefully come to be (someday) the Gerudan War-Wolves...

1st Pic.... WIP Aspiring champion (and proxy general until the armie's a bit bigger and can accomodate a Lord.. I have big plans for a guy in a chariot. doesn't have a name yet but he's based (obviously) on the Empire general kit with some chaos warrior, marauder, militia and greenstuff (oh and a lot of filing... damn imperial iconography!!!) ... the idea behind it (I hope quite obviously) is an imperial hero turned to chaos (usual story family wiped out becomes dissillusioned gods speak to him blah blah blah). when finished he's gonna be pretty much the same colour scheme as the rest of the army but perhaps with slightly shinier armour.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers003.jpg

next up.. chaos knights ... not much to be said here, they do what they say on the tin. these are pretty much the only survivors from my last army although re-based and touched up a little.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers009.jpg

next up, marauders. The idea behind these guys is they've been slogging around the Empire during and after the SOC and have had to improvise weaponry a bit... so they've picked up weapons, shields and armour from pretty much who-ever they can find (and kill).. this will (eventually) become a regiment of twenty... with about a 50/50 ratio marauder shields to 'other) mostly empire but some brettonian, dwarf and a few others here and there
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers002.jpg

next up WIP chaos sorcerer... not much to say except i was amazed at how well the old Hero-quest sorcerer fits in with a regiment of marauders
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers005.jpg

armos
23-03-2007, 01:41
beast-herd ... more gors and ungors to come...(the white warpaint is a shameless tribute to the Uruk Hai
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers010.jpg

and finally we have some Ogres.. quite pleased with these guys.. they have ironfists but only cos i think they look cooler then the other hand-weapons .. standard bearer and champion (covered in spines) are on their way soon.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers004.jpg

I still have a lot more to paint.. as well as completing the abouve units I have a unit of chaos warriors, two units of warhounds, furies, marauder horsemen and a hell-cannon to piant.

I also have a giant to finish.. I do have some WIP pics of him but he's almost done so I thought I'd wait... I also have plans to convert some of the new trolls I see on the rumour thread

anyways... enjoy

as always, comments critisisms or suggestions are more then welcome

GabrielAngelos
23-03-2007, 02:09
Really nice painting there :)

I really like the heroquest model, if you wouldn't of told me it wasnt GW I would've never known.

The aspiring champion model is a bit schetchy in my mind atm but Im sure you can make it work with your painting :D

I really like the tatoos on the bulls, what about modeling a bit-off ear on the middle one? Me Mike Tyson :evilgrin:

violenceha
23-03-2007, 02:10
Wow, nice stuff. I really like the old heroquest sorcerer, always forget just how great they were until I see one painted up again.

Hawkmoon
23-03-2007, 03:25
Nice work Armos! I especially like those ogre's. The tattoos give it a chaos look without having to do that much converting. I may have to nick that idea from you for my BoC army. :D
My only suggestion (and it's a small one) is that the wreath on the beastman's back banner is a little too bright. It REALLY stands out and breaks up the effect of other colours on the model. Why not paint it so it looks like the leaves are dried out or in the process of, and then pint the ribbon so it looks ragged and muddied. That would help to tie it in with the beastman better.

But all in all I think what you have so far is top-notch! Keep up the good work.

spikedog
23-03-2007, 06:16
Wow I really like the various tattoos you have done on your army. I also like the idea of having scrounged weapons from around the Empire/world. Similar idea to what I did with my Skeleton units.

Only suggestion I have would be to give those Ogres a blast of Matt spray as they seem to be a bit shiny at the moment.

OrlyggJafnakol
23-03-2007, 06:29
Loved seeing the old Heroquest miniature again. I would if you can use HQ minis in a GW store these days?

Beautiful painting, the flesh tones are outstanding. How did you achieve it?

Suicide Messiah
23-03-2007, 10:47
You should be able to. They are GW minis after all.

Boss_Salvage
23-03-2007, 15:49
Ah, this should be a cool army to see come (back) together. Really like your painting style, and the mash of bitz across all of the units is superb - the marauders are especially fun, and the ogres especially nicely painted. I dig the heroquest sorcerer too, looks great.

Looking forward to more!

- Salvage

speedygogo
23-03-2007, 16:11
Your army is looking good so far.

TheWarSmith
23-03-2007, 16:57
Both Heroquest and Battlemasters are GW licensed miniatures, so I'd see no harm in using them. I really do want to get my hands on that model, but i don't want to pay $50 for mangled Heroquest games on ebay.

armos
23-03-2007, 17:54
thanks for the feedback guys

new pic, chaos sorcerer ... he's the limited edition sorcerer from last year (or however long ago) ... I don't like converting limited editition models so he's straight out the box. I was quite pleased with this but then I read the tutorial on painting fire here (http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_prac.htm) and now I wanna re-do the flames in his right hand... anyways here's 'Lyster the Cat' (yes I know...)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers.jpg

thanks for the tips guys.. I think I am gonna tone down the more coloured parts like the green on the beastman's wreath but I wanna see how it looks all together first.. I like the idea of using the 'trophy's' and stuff for splashes of colour seeing as the rest of the army is made up of quite earthy tones.

in answer to you question OrlyggJafnakol ... the skin tones are done with a base-coat of scorched brown... this is highlighted up to scorched brown/dark-flesh mix (this is the basecoat for the marauders as less deep recesses) ... this is worked up to dark-flesh, dark flesh/dwarf flesh mix, then dwarf flesh, dwarf flesh/elf flesh mix, then elf flesh and finally elf flesh mixed with bleached bone. the whole area is given a couple of very thin washes of flesh wash and the highlights are then re-touched up with elf flesh and then elf flesh mixed with bleached bone. on the ogres I then touched up the recesses with a thinned dark flesh/dwarf flesh mix just to make a smoother blend.

oh and yeah.. the ogres do need some matt spraying.. i experimented trying to use gloss varnish to simulate sweat but it didn't really work out :rolleyes:

Tuna
23-03-2007, 18:00
I like the way you paint the metal details!

^_^
23-03-2007, 18:05
That is a very good painting standard, really nice.

ZeroTwentythree
23-03-2007, 20:56
Very nice clean painting style. I really like the deep color of the beastmen, and I like the contrasting warpaint.

GabrielAngelos
23-03-2007, 21:29
ltd sorcerror looks really nice, the flames in his hand actually look really nice, not really like fire but more etheral looking, the staff top/talon? looks really nice as well :)

armos
25-03-2007, 03:45
yet another WIP shot i'm afraid... this time it's the BFSP troll... inspired by Jakob Rune Nielsen's trolls (http://www.jrn-works.dk/gallery/GWchaos/Trolls/1.jpg) i'm hoping to convert another two of these from the trolls i see lurking around the rumours forum ... just thought I'd throw the pic in though this guy is definatly last on my list priority-wise until the new models come out :)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble.jpg

armos
26-03-2007, 05:58
Chaos giant is finally finished ... seriously this guy has been 'almost done' for about 3 months now! there are still some bits that need tweaking i think (some of the blending could be smoother) but for the moment he's finally done!... anyways, here's 'Also-Burk'

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble016.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble017.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble018.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble019.jpg

now onto the more serious task of finishing the marauders... i'm setting myself a deadline of next Sunday to have them finished so fingers crossed ... once they and the Aspiring champion are finished i'll have 1000 pts painted.

Animerik
26-03-2007, 10:21
Wow very nice! I really like the mauroders, youŽve done something nice out of them heman looking minis. THe painted stuff is very nice painted and has avery charateristic way they are painted.

the giant is one of the best pained IŽve ever seen, could you make recipe on the skin with colours and techniqes? very nice army keep it up and IŽll be watching this closley

Warwolt the skaven
26-03-2007, 10:33
probably the best giant ive ever seen. That skin is soooo smoooth! Blend madness

tancrede
26-03-2007, 10:42
one of the best chaos army i've ever seen....
and i really love the tattoos !

The boyz
26-03-2007, 12:43
Great start to your army Armos. The Chaos Marauders and Beastmen are looking very nice. The giant looks fantastic, I like especially like the conversion work, those spikes growing out of his shoulder look very cool. I like the tattoo as well, that looks superb.

torso777
26-03-2007, 12:55
Your tattoos on the giant and the warpaint on those gors are fabulous. Great looking army.

Aflo
26-03-2007, 16:37
I am really in awe of those tatoos - if there's something I need to improve, It's tatoos (ok, freehand in general). Awesome army in the making here.
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

Watcher666
27-03-2007, 18:15
that giant looks sick!, love the tats.

how did u do ur knights armour?

armos
27-03-2007, 20:59
Thanks again guys.. marauders are coming along nicely, a couple of you have asked about how I paint skin-tones so if anyone wants I can make a quickie tutorial while I paint them later in the week?

Watcher666, the knights' armour is pretty simple, it's boltgun metal given a brown ink wash, then highlighted with boltgun metal and then chainmail (little mithril silver for extreme highlights), deep recesses are then given a thin black ink wash just to exaggerate the shadows a little.

Hope this helps :)

Watcher666
27-03-2007, 21:09
thanks, now doing my armour differently, but thanks anyway =P

Eniac
28-03-2007, 09:37
Looking good! That giant is positivley the best thing I have ever seen! Those tattoos are gorgeous. Your painting style is very crisp, I shall be keeping an eye on this.

Weregerbil
29-03-2007, 23:20
Very nice looking giant.

armos
30-03-2007, 01:11
cheers guys... quick update... 4 marauders finished so now it's a legal regiment. i'm not sure they're as well painted as the front rank but i'll go back to them once the regiment's done as a whole.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble025.jpg

The regiment as it stands now (boy will I be glad when these guys are finished)... i should probably sort out a standard bearer at some point.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble026.jpg

the army so far... 900 pts already! (without even upgrading the knights to chosen) god bless elite armies!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble027.jpg

thanks for all the feedback guys :)

Magistrate
30-03-2007, 05:42
May I ask how you did those metallics? Especially for those Knights in the first picture of the log. Oh boy are they beautiful!

Eniac
30-03-2007, 08:39
I have to say, and this is by no means a dig, your work looks like it has been dipped. This is a good thing as the models all look coherant and clean.

OnnO
30-03-2007, 08:45
...your work looks like it has been dipped. This is a good thing as the models all look coherant and clean.

Actually it looks much better than dipped, not a single misplaced shading or whatnot.
The standard of this army is stunning, the style unique.

Keep it up and put all our painting efforts to shame!! :p ;)

Boss_Salvage
30-03-2007, 16:04
A beautiful 900 points at that! Fantastic quality continues, those maraurders are truly something else. Well done.

- Salvage

armos
30-03-2007, 16:14
well thanks guys.. it's praise like this that keeps me motivated :)

I assure you none of the models are dipped (though I'll take it as a compliment cos I've seen some beautiful effects produced with that technique) ... I've never actually tried dipping, i've thought about experimenting with some plaugebearers but I've never actually gone the whole hog, i'm sure i'll give it a go sometime.

Magistrate: the metallics are generally done with Boltgun metal then given a wash of brown ink and then very thin black ink in the recesses to add some shading. then higlighted with boltgun metal, chainmail and extreme edges are picked out in mithril silver. The higlights are thinned down so they're slightly see through and feathered on (this is how i did the knights' armour)

I wanted the axe-heads and sword blades to look better maintained then the armour so they're painted flat boltgun metal and then chainmail is applied to the edges (and strokes are painted across the 'sharp' parts) ... again extreme highlights are painted on with mithril silver

On some of the metals (probably most noticabley the Aspiring Champion's horse armour) I painted boltgun metal then washed with a mixture or chaos black, chestnut ink, Tamiya clear orange and a little water (thanks JRN for that mixture :)) ... this is then highlighted in the same way as the other metals but the shading effect achieved is slightly more gradual than with a standard citadel ink wash so highlights are only applied to the very edges of the armour plates.

the rusted metal parts (on the ogre's weapons for instance) are done with a scorched brown base-coat which is given a wash of thinned brown ink and then drybrushed with scorched brown, dark flesh, terracotta and then blazing orange (quite roughly and in patches). The metal is then drybrushed with boltgun metal (again in a 'patchy' way) and finally edges and details are picked out in chainmail... (although I've since learned another couple of techniques from tancrede I'm keen to try out)

hope this helps :)

armos
06-04-2007, 02:39
Quick update:

WIP (though pretty much done) new Chieftan for the marauders; I did like my old unit champion but I felt he didn't really stick out enough.. plus this regiment is supposed to be quite well armoured (for marauders) and he just wasn't.
I also wanted to try to show the link (or ascension if you like) from marauder to chaos warrior. anyways here he is.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble003.jpg

I'm quite pleased.. to me he looks kinda half-marauder/ half-chaos warrior which is what i was going for... he's pretty much done, he needs basing and some touching up in places but i'm generally happy.

:)

ps. the rest of the marauders should be done any day now

Eniac
06-04-2007, 09:46
Awesome, he really does look like he will soon be gifted Chaos armour, that is how a marauder should look! And I like your fluff as well. Keep up the good work :)

armos
13-04-2007, 00:46
Another 5 marauders painted, including new chieftain and standard bearer ... next five coming soon... I'm looking forward to painting something other then marauders ;)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer006.jpg

and the regiment as it stands now

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer007.jpg

finish finish finish!!!!

Dino
13-04-2007, 03:35
These are really nicely done, both good and clean. When are you gonna get that aspiring champ. done cause that is cool.

Oh and don't bother with that PM i sent you(got the problem fixed).

Saulot
13-04-2007, 03:58
Beautiful models! Beautiful army!
Your colors are perfect! Not too drab, not too lively… just perfect!
Great job!

Now, no update yet on your aspiring champion? :p

HolySanguinius
13-04-2007, 04:08
Brilliant, keep up the good work. I like the fact that the mauraderers are more mix and matched :wtf: with empire and TK bits used. Good stuff.

armos
13-04-2007, 12:43
Thanks guys, painting the Aspiring Champion is gonna be my little treat for finishing the Marauders... which are coming along nicely :D

Braad
13-04-2007, 14:26
Well, they look just fine! I like the conversion on the giant.

ZeroTwentythree
13-04-2007, 15:00
Wow, that giant is great. In addition to my previous comments (regarding the earlier figures) about the clean painting and great use of contrast, I think the subtle modeling and shading, like where the spikes come out of the shoulder just pushes the quality up yet another notch.

Endemion
13-04-2007, 18:10
Amazing work here, the mutation on the giant is incredible. Liking what you've done with the marauder champ too

Asuril
13-04-2007, 19:31
Wow, just incredible. I must say you have the most lovely skin blending I've ever seen. The army looks absolutely brilliant.

You just inspired me to go do some painting. Thanks mate. ;)

lee
15-04-2007, 19:40
i think your army is the best looking chaos army ive ever seen. just looks amazing

Stouty
15-04-2007, 19:58
Absolutely great, I love it. The only thing I would say is that the different weapons that you've been giving the marauders won't really stand out on a 50/50 ratio on the battlefield. I guess it's a bit scary as you don't want them just to look like they've had to steal all their kit but still.

I guess really I'm just looking for things to criticize but you've not made it easy :D

I'll be interested to see how the aspiring champion fits in.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
16-04-2007, 01:23
I love the army. the marauders look like...well, marauders. Great job
and the giant...rediculously good

mrtn
16-04-2007, 17:35
*Your average "Good job!" post*

Ninners
17-04-2007, 19:01
Really nice army. I love all of these things:

The troll conversion

The tatoos

The giants horn things on his back (how did you do those)

The limited edition mage

The painting

The army

So er... everything is great!

In the most recent pic of all the maruders is the guy on the left of the front rank sun burnt? :rolleyes:

mousekiller
17-04-2007, 23:58
I could have sworn that I have replied to this thread... guess not. Maybe I have just checked in about 10 or 15 times and thought, wow those look great, what comments can I leave. Well, finally I will leave one. Brilliant work. I really like the varied look that you have given these guys, makes them unique, which I think is important in a game where all the units tend to look the same. Great work, and I can't wait to see the aspiring champion coming along.

Arhalien
18-04-2007, 10:09
Superb painting. Truly superb.

Erm...

That's about all I can say... :o

Zedric
18-04-2007, 10:18
I don't even care for fantasy battle but this army is amazing. Makes me want to start!

Watcher666
24-04-2007, 17:17
how do you paint the beast herds horns?

armos
26-04-2007, 01:14
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates... lots of hectic things happening in personnel and proffessional life ... as well as the regular temptation of beer in the nice weather.

Marauder's are about 90% done... just need to do some fine detailing, a few tatoos and a brettonian shield.. expect a pick in the next couple of days (I'd say tomorrow but I have a job interview and then beer)

anyways.. here's some WIP pics of the Aspiring Champs Horse:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer006-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer005.jpg

As you can see I tend to paint quite messily then tidy up as I go along... he's coming along quite well but I think I have to mute down the higlights on the metal a bit and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the Horses legs yet (some sort of subtle blending down to the hairy bits around the hooves I think... he's gonna be brown rather then the traditional black)

I enjoyed painting the dead Middenheimer a lot (I also quite like the idea of a new Empire model turning to Chaos and killing all the old ones) ... the 'dead Middenheimers' theme is one I'm considering expanding ... If I can find a dead Teutogen guard model I'll be happy.

Also.. I sometimes like to use 'gift from the gods' so I figured it's as good a time as any to paint up a spawn... still WIP (despite the base) and i need to do the skin, spines and blend some of the muscle-parts up to a more sickly colour in places

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer008.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback guys:

Ninners: thanks for the comment ... The giant's spines are made from rolled out greenstuff, left to dry then cut off at the bottom and glued onto the shoulder... i then wrapped greenstuff around the base of the spines and blended it into the skin. The skin around the spines was painted like the rest of the skin and then successive ink washes of thinned down red then purple ink was added around them (purple in the deeper recesses closer to the spines) ... Dwarf flesh was then used to highlight where the spines break through the skin to give them that 'ewww' look)

And no it's not sunburn though I can see why you see that from the photo... it's supposed to be red war-paint but I probably should go back and re-define these areas a bit

Watcher 666: the horns are painted bleached bone then shaded with a wash of desert yellow ... then touched up with bleached bone at the tips and more desert yellow in the recesses.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments, you guys have kept me going :)

Dino
26-04-2007, 01:27
Well the hose does look pretty good, the metal looks just fine to me, but might want to take the red areas and wash with some red ink. The Middenheimer looks really good (Middenheim/Middenland are my fav. places in the Empire), but as dead teutogen guard they don't have one. As for the spawn good paint job tho (to me) the brown skin could be a diffrent color. Oh and when are we gonna see pics of the the aspirong champion?

armos
26-04-2007, 01:31
I should say a model that can be 'easily converted' into a dead Teutogen guard ;)

The red areas definatly need to be shaded... most likely with a red gore to scorched brown blend ... I've left it slightly garish at the moment cos I wanted to see how the metal looks against bright red and I haven't decided if I want to paint some sort of design onto the reings or clothy bit on the sides yet... what do you reckon guys? :)

edit: Oh, and I'm gonna start work on the champ when the horse is finished... and when I've decided what sort of shield to give him... again ideas people?

Dino
26-04-2007, 03:35
Hmm, well if you want a design on the reigns black flames or -+-> (all connected) could work. Now for the dead teutogen guard "conversion" just get the one with both arms up in the air then take its hammer and hands and cut the hammer of and glue the hands where they're suapose to go.

mrtn
26-04-2007, 17:16
If you want a dead Middenheimer you could use plastics from the hairy head sprue (also included in the Mordheim box).

sir.spamalot
26-04-2007, 17:28
Awesome awesome awesome army. This is by far one of the best chaos armys I have seen. Good job.

cheers, keep up the good work!

Arhalien
26-04-2007, 17:48
Lovely work Amos. The dead Empire soldier under the horse looks great and the colours contrast well with the red and black of the horse.

Seconding the call for pics of the champ! :)

Luthien
26-04-2007, 19:08
i like this i shall be following :D

Sling
27-04-2007, 15:01
*subscribed*
Great work all over this log, seriously.

Da Boyzz
29-04-2007, 13:12
thanks for the feedback guys

new pic, chaos sorcerer ... he's the limited edition sorcerer from last year (or however long ago) ... I don't like converting limited editition models so he's straight out the box. I was quite pleased with this but then I read the tutorial on painting fire here (http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_prac.htm) and now I wanna re-do the flames in his right hand... anyways here's 'Lyster the Cat' (yes I know...)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers.jpg

Where can i get this model? I WANT IT BAD!!

Is it ever going to be released again? Do you think it will be back for the summer campaign?

I would pay any ludacris price GW wanted for that model !!!

1truegod
29-04-2007, 13:28
Dam that army is hot, I will follow this theard for sure.
Again amazing work done on the army

armos
24-06-2007, 20:54
Wow! has it been a hectic month, lots of good stuff happening but sadly not much free time.. hence the lack of an update in god knows how long! ... sorry guys!

anyways I've finally finished the marauders regiment, quite pleased with these guys though there's a few details here and there I'd like to go back to later on... I'm so sick of painting marauders though it might be while... for the moment I'm happy

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer-1.jpg

Next WIP pics of the aspiring champ. The horse is pretty much finished so it's just the fella himself to work on. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with this guy so I doubt he'll take to long to finish up (though it's been quite a while so far)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer001-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer002-1.jpg

and finally a few warhounds... not much to say except these guys were pretty quick to paint so I should be able to plough through the next 8 without much fuss.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer003-1.jpg

enjoy... my work stuff has calmed down a bit more now so I should be a bit more regular with the updates...

oh and sorry for the slightly blurry pics.. i'll take some better ones when everythings a bit more complete

as always comments and questions welcome

Dino
24-06-2007, 22:16
Good to see this is back in action. The marauders look good(from what I can see). The warhounds look good as well. My only thing is START PAINTING THE ASPIRING CHAMP, slow ****. Any way good luck.

Arhalien
25-06-2007, 10:01
Excellent stuff; that general conversion is very well done and nicely painted :D

Harry
25-06-2007, 11:33
Outstanding work.
Beautiful crisp painting, seemless blending, woderful subtle conversions and swaps.
There is nothing I don't like about this work.
Absolutely top draw.

I would love to see you do some marauder horsemen to match the wonderful marauders on foot you have done.

What are your plans for this army?

(I have sent you a PM)

armos
25-06-2007, 22:22
Just to reassure you all I am actually working on this guy... still a lot to do but I'm quite happy with the flesh parts..

can I ask what people think of the feather's? they're causing me a bit of a headache going back and forth from dark to light.. i think they need some more highlights (actually they definatly do looking closley) but i don't want to go overboard.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer004.jpg

and another just to show off the feathers

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer003-2.jpg

thanks for the comments guys... Harry - I do have some marauder horsemen to paint at some stage but I'll be honest I'm so sick of painting marauders after doing those 20 they may have to wait.

plans for the army? ... well I have a beast-herd, warhounds and warriors to finish off as well as a few other bits (2 ogres, three trolls, a sorcerer and bray shaman) ... gonna see how they turn out before I start thinking of anything new.

Dino
25-06-2007, 23:06
Yes, my life is now complete that I get to see this guy being painted. But seriously, this is pretty really good. And don't worry about the feathers they look great. So keap up the good work.

sir.spamalot
25-06-2007, 23:32
Woah nice, I love that awesome effect of armour you got going there :) keep up the good work!

cheers, the spam man

Harry
26-06-2007, 07:02
I must admit when I first saw this mini I thought "where is he going with this?" the 'pimpin' hat did not quite seem to fit with the Chaos look.

But now I see him being painted, the bare flesh next to the hat and the finished marauder unit with all the other Empire 'bits and bobs' used so nicely ... I really like him.

These really are some very characterful minis your making here.

Zodiac
26-06-2007, 08:39
Woah those feathers! They look amazing, very very good indeed!
I also like the way you painted the muscles, very natural. The face is stunning and his hair is really lanky and dirty.

Just one minor thing, the guy on his base, he's dead.. but he doesnt have any blood on him..

And he pulls this face like: "what the hell am I doing here?"
But apart from that, he really fits in with the rest of the marauders.

Awesome.

Arhalien
26-06-2007, 09:00
Fantastic feathers, fantastic flesh, fantastic conversion, fantastic metal.... erm, you get the picture; it's fantastic! :D

MadDave123
26-06-2007, 12:02
I really like the feathers as well. I think any more highlights might overdo it though. Leave them as they are, they look great.

armos
26-06-2007, 23:17
New update.. just a quicky this time...

Hat and Jerkin are done and the leather straps picked out... plus did some extra shading and highlights on the metal parts of the legs and added some extra shading round the eyes (though i'm not sure that's made much difference)

anyways here you are

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer009.jpg

I am still thinking what sort of shield to give him.. was thinking a Brettonian peasant one with something suitably chaosy painted on it or just plump for a chaos-warrior style shield...

ideas people?

sir.spamalot
26-06-2007, 23:47
Omigosh! that hat is the pimpage!

good work :)

Dino
26-06-2007, 23:58
I like scotch, scotch, scotch, scotch,.....ops. Sorry about that:D , the Hat looks good along with the Jerkin. I think maybe the regular chaos warrior sheild would look good for him, but try the other idea you had. But now that i see this guy i have to try my own hand at a champion of chaos of some kind.

armos
27-06-2007, 00:42
Omigosh! that hat is the pimpage!

good work :)

and here was I worried he was gonna end up looking too much like a Pirate!

armos
27-06-2007, 23:20
Another quick update... sorry for the bit by bit approach but I'm limited to just over an hour's painting a night at the mo.

Anyways... painted up the trophy head on his back-banner... enjoy :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer003-3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer002-2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer001-2.jpg

sir.spamalot
27-06-2007, 23:22
Woah! that is incredible...I ran out of explicitives for your work, that head is rally really good.

cheers, the spam man

Dino
28-06-2007, 00:12
Very good work on the head trophy. Why do you only have a hour a day to work on it tho?:confused:

MF3000
28-06-2007, 00:35
man the whole time I was looking at your army, i was just slack jawed lol

This is great stuff!

sj

Arhalien
28-06-2007, 11:39
fantastic painting :) Really, truly fantastic.
'Nuff said ;)

kyussinchains
28-06-2007, 18:57
well done!, so many people have great ideas for themed armies but dont quite pull it off, you've done it! such a high standard of painting (one of the best on this forum that I've seen!)

really inspirational mate!

tzeentchgiant
28-06-2007, 19:46
Great model, although to be entirely honest I wouldn't pick it as chaos at first glance.

Where are the horse parts from?

TG

P.S, did you post these pictures on another forum, the warhammer forum maybe?

armos
28-06-2007, 23:13
Why do you only have a hour a day to work on it tho?:confused:

Because I work crappy hours for not enough money :p

tonight's update.. another quicky, done some work on the leather details and worked on the severed heads...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammer001-3.jpg

not much left to do now... hopefully next pic will be the finished version sans shield (I'm gonna paint up a couple of shields and see which one fits the best)

Tzeentchgiant: Hopefully the shield will complete the 'chaosy' look

the horse is the empire general's horse with the imperial iconography filed off and spikes and bent metal added with green stuff. The head is from an old chaos steed and the reins are added to with green stuff to make them look a bit more ragged

I haven't posted pics of these guys anywhere else except Warseer

thanks for all the comments guys... more to come soon :)

Dino
29-06-2007, 03:54
Wow, I know the fealing. But to the figure. It looking good, like I said might steal this idea. The leathers aren't bad but not use to what i've seen. Keep it up tho.

mousekiller
29-06-2007, 05:23
Man, how did I miss the last few updates? What a great bunch of miniatures you have going here, and I love how you are mixing in the empire theme here and there. I am going to have to earmark this page, as it will be a great source of inspiration for when I start my chaos army.

(Really love the head on the back of the horse, and the horse is well converted, and....)

CMDante
29-06-2007, 22:35
I like the idea of using the empire horse for a chaos conversion, might have to borrow that one :D. Not too keen on the big feathered hat, doesn't immediately make me think chaos but its a great paint job no doubt about that. The marauders look great too.

Keep up the good stuff!

Cheers,

Dante

Grey_Area
01-07-2007, 00:24
Great army so far! Do you have any pictures of the horse conversion without any paint on? It'd be nice to see exactly what went into it.

odmiller
01-07-2007, 01:57
Very cool army. The empire bits really make it stand out, as does the nice crisp paint job. The Lord's hat with feathers and Marauder wearing the plumed knight's helmet are my favorites. Totally out of place in a Chaos army, but even better for it.

armos
02-07-2007, 00:07
Great army so far! Do you have any pictures of the horse conversion without any paint on? It'd be nice to see exactly what went into it.

Here you go (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/aspiringchamp.jpg?t=1183331188) sorry for the blurry shot but you should be able to get the idea :) I forgot to mention above I used the tail from Archeon's horse as well

almost finished.. hoping to get a final pic of him up tonight

armos
02-07-2007, 00:55
All done.. I'm quite pleased but I'll be honest i'm still a little unsure of the shield... I was kinda thinking maybe I'll go back at a later date and try something a little more adventurous for him but suffering from distinct lack of inspiration shield-wise at the moment... enjoy

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers001.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers002-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers003-1.jpg

what do you reckon?

Dino
02-07-2007, 01:28
Been waiting for this to get done. Now that it is this is what I have to say. IT IS GODLY AWSOME!!! Truly a credit to youre painting skills. As for the sheild all it needs(I think) is some spikes and maybe a head or two on it.But in short really awsome.

CMDante
02-07-2007, 02:20
To be honest I think he looks great, the painting is really high quality and worth the time spent on him. The shield is a bit plain though, I think it could do with some white detailing or icon (or some other, bright contrasting colour) as there seems to be a bit too much red, black and metal going on and the bright blue and white of the dead trooper on the base distracts the eye from the main focal area of the mini. I know it sounds a bit nit-picky but something to consider in order to make what is already an outstanding mini, truly terrific:D.

Looking forward to seeing more mate.

Cheers,

Dante

Grey_Area
02-07-2007, 08:38
Here you go (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/aspiringchamp.jpg?t=1183331188) sorry for the blurry shot but you should be able to get the idea :) I forgot to mention above I used the tail from Archeon's horse as well

almost finished.. hoping to get a final pic of him up tonight

Awesome, thanks. The final model looks great.

armos
02-07-2007, 21:44
thanks for the feedback guys, i think i will go back to this guy at some point when i get inspired again

test piece (and champion) for chaos warriors.. pretty straightforward.. just going for the wall of shields look

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers001-1.jpg

chaos warriors are a bit tricky to convert and IMHO they're such nice models anyways I'm not sure I want to do anything too drastic but i have a few ideas of how to tie them in with the marauders

sir.spamalot
02-07-2007, 21:50
Really great mate :)

I really like the chaos star freehand on the sheild...

cheers, great work.

Dino
02-07-2007, 22:06
Very nice Armos. Simple wet very good. Can't wait to see a whole unit of these guys.

glenning
02-07-2007, 23:14
I LOVE your giant! Not to mention your other mini's... Great work!

HiveTrygon
03-07-2007, 01:54
I can not believe how good you are at painting skin. By far one of the best painters I've seen, the tattoos are so smooth also, and I love them (have many myself.). I am very fond of the hooded sorcerer and the old skelletal one as well.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
03-07-2007, 13:45
Great looking stuff, I really love how that giant turned out and I also like the aspiring champion. Keep up the great work.

Greetz
G

TheWarSmith
04-07-2007, 17:50
Any chance of getting a tutorial(possibly with pictures?) on how you sculpt those spikes, specifically the ones coming out of the giant? I've tried and practiced so many times to do it, but it never comes out right.

sir.spamalot
04-07-2007, 18:36
OI! armos! any chance of some group shots?

Arhalien
04-07-2007, 19:23
Fantastic painting :D
The shield freehand is very well done and looks great, fitting with the rest of the model very well.

armos
05-07-2007, 16:08
OI! armos! any chance of some group shots?

ask and you shall receive...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers007.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers009-1.jpg

Toastie142
05-07-2007, 16:12
The army loooks fantastic! I hope your going to expand it, just so i can see more of your work!
How many points have you got there?

sir.spamalot
05-07-2007, 16:12
That looks really excellent, I can not put into words how awesome that is...(plus I'm listening to bolt thrower right now...)

the only thing that is slightly sketchy is the light light blue on the commanders base, it is sort of distracting, but that is no matter. This army ROCKS!!

Arhalien
05-07-2007, 16:23
Absolutely brilliant, in every way possible :D
I can;t fault it.

Mutantdale
05-07-2007, 17:15
Great work so far :) I love it all...

keep it up.
Oh yea and that Red Redemption unit im painting has been on my shelf for over 10 years hehe

MD

Extension
05-07-2007, 18:39
Will be a gorgeous army when finished. How many pts (if this question has been asked, ignore it. I just don't have time to read every reply at the moment)

Oh, and that giant REALLY reminds me of one of my mates.

-extension

armos
05-07-2007, 18:55
cheers guys.. it's at about 1150 points at the mo and I have about another 1500 points to paint (not including a few characters)

The necrons will rise
08-07-2007, 18:52
Beautiful work you got there. The giant really took my breath. The spikes look really nasty. Is the converted BfSP troll done? Dunno if I missed it, if I did never mind. Keep it up :D

Anardakil
08-07-2007, 21:26
Wow your force looks fantastic! The general and giant are especially cool.

armos
09-07-2007, 17:19
Is the converted BfSP troll done? Dunno if I missed it

nah still in the same state as the photo, I've bought another two trolls but I need to dig out my ogre sprues from wherever they've ended up... could take a while my room is a bomb-site!

thanks for the comments. Sorry been a bit slo on the updates this wekend had a bit of a mental one... but the Beast-herd is nearly finished and I'm made a couple of new purchases for fun ;)

oh and I thought some of you guys might get a kick out of seeing the original chaos giant Also Burk painted a couple of years back

here (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/shots010.jpg) here (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/Giantfront.jpg) here (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/GiantBack.jpg) and here (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/modelshots002.jpg)

Daniel36
09-07-2007, 18:22
Your stuff is amazing! Every single model has so much eyecandy you really have to stop for a moment to look at them to catch the greatness of it! I especially like the feather on the leaderguy for some reason, but pretty much every model is special!!

Keep up, this thread has caught my attention!!!

Lord Macharius
10-07-2007, 01:12
How on Earth did I miss this thread?! Awesome work fella! Loving the giant!

armos
18-07-2007, 15:51
Hey guys.. sorry for the lack of painting updates but the warriors are coming along nicely (kinda trying to do them all in one go to keep that uniform look)

anyways now the army's beginning to take shape i thought you might like to hear some of the background. This army is a continuation from my old one and the backgound is transferred (a lot of it is based on games I played while collecting as well as during the Storm of Chaos campaign). I still have my old Wulf Ratha model and have an idea for updating him but I'll probably wait until whenever Chaos gets an update as I think GW sculptors do a waaaaaay better job then me... my old model means too much to me to strip and re-do just yet

This is just a background for the main army and its leader, other elements like the champion based on the Empire general and the chaos sorcerer have their own stories and I'll write them out sometime in the future...

anyways here's the story of the 'Gerudan War Wolves'

"In the Southern reaches of the Steppes, to the West of the lands dominated by the hordes of the Hobgobla-Khan, the rolling plains resound to a howling wind. At times, this wind carries with it the clamour of the thousands of warcrys, screams and battle oaths that have seemingly infused themselves in the very earth of this most blighted of landscapes. Periodically, and without warning, this wind reaches a crescendo, a piercing howl from the land itself that sweeps away all voices. This phenomenon is known to the Kurgan tribes as the Wolf Wind.
For the scattered tribes that live and forage in this area, the season of the Wolf Wind forms an integral part of their religion. The Wolf Wind is seen by many as the voice of the gods themselves, or by others the sound of ancient, forgotten champions screaming to be remembered. It is a holy time for most, a period of reflection and remembrance (not least because the deafening roar makes activities such as hunting or raiding all but impossible). In centuries past however, the Wolf Wind brought with it a far more sinister and tangible menace. Using gestures and signals, rather then spoken commands, one tribe of raiders learned to use the Wolf Wind to mask their movements and launch daring raids under its howling cover. When other tribes were left unprepared, these raiders fell upon them, slaughtering and pillaging all in their path. The Wolf Wind became their Herald, and other tribes cowered at its coming in terror of the raiders that followed its course. To the other tribes these raiders were known as ‘the riders of the Wolf Wind’.
To themselves, they are the Gerudan.

Having no settlements, the Gerudan continued their raiding existence for centuries, surviving entirely on what they could forage or pillage from other tribes. The coming of Asavar Kul, however, began a new era of prosperity for the Gerudan. Raiders by nature they had managed to avoid most of the protracted, drawn-out battles which so devastated the Kurgan Hordes during Kul’s abortive invasion of the land of Kislev. With the winds of Chaos still waxing even after Kul’s defeat, the Wolf Wind was never stronger. The returning tribes travelling through the lands of the Gerudan, decimated and weary from their battles in the South and largely unaware of the dire warning the Wolf Wind represented were easy prey and tribe after tribe fell into their trap. In the time of relative peace that followed, with the winds of Chaos dying down the Gerudan found themselves wealthy enough to settle for the first time in their history. In the decades that followed the Gerudan learned the arts of agriculture and animal husbandry and their nomadic ways were all but forgotten, as was the Wolf Wind itself. The next two centuries were marked only by the absence of battle, in which the ‘Riders of the Wolf Wind’ became known simply as the ‘War Wolves’. Too large and well defended a settlement to draw the attentions of other raiding tribes and easily able to resist the occasional incursions of pillaging Wolf Boys from the East, the Gerudan prospered like never before in peace. In time, even the warrior traditions that so dominate all Kurgan tribes began to be forgotten. This was not to last.

Although the Gerudan elders were aware of rumblings from the North surrounding an apparent Chosen of the Gods named Archaon, they were completely unprepared for what his coming would bring. As his forces drove south, the Gerudan were attacked without warning by a massive yet unnamed horde under the Banner of the god Tzeentch. While the Gerudan leader, a champion by the name Asaan Ratha was able to quickly draw together a defensive force, they were ill prepared, outnumbered and wholly outmatched by the mutated horde which stood before them. Though they fought bravely, the Gerudan stood no chance. The warriors were torn apart by foul Deamons that sprung from their very ranks. Sevarr, champion of the gods and hero among the Gerudan was wracked by foul magics and transformed into a mutated beast that fell upon his own men, and Asaan himself fell in combat to the twisted Cabal’s warped leader. His stomach hacked open, Asaan was not even gifted an honourable death at the hands of the Champion who had bested him and was instead torn to pieces by the Tzeentch Lord’s foul ‘pets’. Barely 35 of the Gerudan warriors survived the carnage, their women and children were slaughtered and their homelands burned.

Scattered and destroyed, the name Gerudan would’ve died that day were it not for one man, Asaan’s youngest son, Wulf Ratha.
Barely 19 years old Wulf had fought with his fellow Gerudan on the rightmost flank, away from the main action. Outmanoeuvred and unable to regroup his men he could only watch in horror as his fellows were hacked down and his father humiliated and eviscerated before him. Despite his youthful outrage however, Wulf showed phenomenal self control and was able to lead the rout that almost certainly saved not only his comrades but the name Gerudan itself. In the aftermath of the battle Wulf declared himself leader of the Gerudan. Young and untested in battle, his rule was understandably challenged, not only by a powerful warrior named Kalthoran, but also by Wulf’s own uncle Van Ratha. Ordinarily, Wulf would have been no match for either of these two armoured veterans, but something had changed. During the battle, the eight-pointed star had burned itself into Wulf’s chest and his eyes had turned a milky white. Wulf had shown inhuman self restraint during the battle but now his full rage was brought to bear. Unarmoured and with bare hands Wulf launched himself at Kalthoran, knocking his blade aside with a forearm and grasping the larger warrior by the throat, shattering his neck with barley a grunt of effort. Slowly, Van’s half raised axe was lowered, and he fell to one knee before his new Lord. One by one, witnesses to this act, the remnants of the defeated Gerudan followed suit.

Raised on stories of the Gerudan’s raiding tradition, Wulf knew that their only chance of survival was to return to a nomadic existence, slowly re-building their strength by raiding smaller and weaker opponents (of which there were scant few). Fortunately, The Hobgoblins cowardly nature had compelled the Wolf Boy tribes to retreat East at the first mention of the growing forces in the North and the few greenskin tribes that remained, either too weak or too stupid to migrate provided easy pickings. Wulf had come to the opinion early on that while it had devastated their numbers, the slaughter that the followers of Tzeentch had inflicted had sharpened the Gerudan’s force. He realised the survivors of the battle fell into two groups, the veteran warriors who were strong enough to fight their way through the carnage and the young who were swift enough to outmanoeuvre their opponents and escape. In short, the perfect raiding force! What they lacked were equipment and numbers. Equipment was a problem easily solved, and Wulf himself began a trend of relieving defeated enemies of choice items, out of necessity at first and later as trophies. The younger members of the tribe began to follow suit (although the older, more traditionally minded members tended to balk at this idea). Later on, as his trophy collection grew Wulf would become known as the ‘Shield Taker’, though never to his face!
Numbers was a bigger problem, but once again the Gerudan’s salvation came with the arrival of another Chosen of the Gods. As Archaon launched his invasion of the Empire the Gerudan took a far more active role then in previous centuries. Able to march South under the relative safety of a unified banner and small enough to avoid major conflicts along the way the Gerudan entered the lands of the Empire ahead of the main force and were able to capitalise on the ill prepared Imperial citizenry, massacring scout forces, isolated settlements and roaming mercenary bands along the way. Followers of the chaos gods flocked to the Empire at this time and many came to serve under Wulf’s banner, recognising him as a Champion worth following. A number of wandering marauders, their tribes either destroyed or outcast, swelled the Gerudan ranks as well as a nomadic beast herd led by the crippled Shaman Ghazran the Blind. Even the gargantuan giant Also Burk joined their number, seeking refuge from the band of Chaos Ogres who had been hunting him all the way from the Mountains of Mourn (ironically they caught up with him shortly after and, when giving the choice of either joining Ratha’s followers or being torn apart, chose the former). Within a few months Wulf had a sizable army at his command and the name War Wolves once again instilled fear in those that encountered it. As Archaon’s armies pushed into the Empire the Gerudan were instrumental in the siege of Brass Keep before moving on to join the attack on Middenheim itself. But as the casualties on the chaos hordes began to take their toll, and with Archaon apparently defeated in single combat Wulf ordered his force back to Brass Keep. Cut off from the bulk of the horde the Gerudan joined two other tribes under the banner of the Khornate Champion Graskar Headsplitter. With the army of Middenheim now on the offensive the path to the relative safety of Brass Keep was blocked by a combined army of empire and High-Elf forces. In one titanic confrontation, these two combined armies met. The Gerudan, positioned on the Chaos force’s right flank, encircled and annihilated the Imperial infantry before them before smashing into the High Elves’ flank. The forces of light were utterly destroyed and the three tribes marched to Brass Keep uncontested.
At the base of Brass Keep, before the assembled masses of the combined hordes, Graskar, having taken sole credit for the victory, bade Wulf to join him on his podium in a salute to the gods. The Khornate horde screamed their champion’s name as the two warriors stood side by side, as did the third, smaller army of Slanneshi cultists. As the screams, shouts and oaths were bellowed another noise could be heard. At first the warriors took it for the sound of distant battle, but as it grew louder others remarked it reminded them of the braying of large dogs. As the noise grew the Khornate and Slanneshi warriors raised their voices to be heard. Only the Gerudan began to quieten down. One by one the screaming warriors were drowned out by this howling as a cold biting wind whipped at their banners. Noticeably unnerved the other warriors turned to the Gerudan, who now stood in silence heads turned to the sky. In one move Wulf Ratha hefted his great axe and swung it into the Chest of Graskar Headsplitter, hacking the Khornate champion in two. At this signal the Gerudan attacked as one, smashing into their unprepared allies as the howling wind grew louder and louder, the screams of their enemies left unheard as they were cut down.
Within minutes the allied followers of Slaanesh and Khorne were either dead or running. The slaughter abated, the Gerudan turned to their leader in silence. Holding aloft Graskar’s ragged torso, and wrapped in the banner of his Imperial adversaries, Wulf Ratha spread his arms in triumph as if to embrace the screaming wind.
There was no salute, no victory cry. There was no need.

The Wolf Wind had returned."

Tzeen-Squirrel
18-07-2007, 20:48
Brillant read. Can't believe no one else has commented on it.

Well done chap.

Dino
18-07-2007, 21:18
Sorry I didn't post somthing about the stuff you wrote but was putting dishes away and had to see why my dog was running around the house. But what ever. This is really good. I'd usually post fluff about my armies but it's usually really crapy.

armos
21-07-2007, 23:19
Just a quick new addition... a Wargor to lead the Beastherd, enjoy :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers004-2.jpg

Anardakil
21-07-2007, 23:56
Nice Wargor. I like his skin.

Arhalien
22-07-2007, 09:32
Fantastic Wargor :D
I can't wait to see the beast herd to go with him :)

mrtn
22-07-2007, 11:36
Nice painting of a nice mini. :)

Danny76
23-08-2007, 11:31
Just got to your blog through the warband thread,

really good fluff.
an enjoyable read.

Also i love the giant!

Neknoh
25-08-2007, 12:42
Looks absolutely and utterly bloody brilliant!!! Now I'm really gonna have to get to work on my latest additions to my Chaos army once I get greenstuff! (all modelling on my current project, red army guard, halted due to not having the Greenstuff to do their cloaks, so, once I get the greenstuff, I'll also get the things I need to create a whole new undivided Chaos army which will reach two thousand points hopefully and then draw in my Slaaneshi army before I start on Nurgle, I will have all four gods united beneath the banner of Archaon).

Anyhow, WONDERFUL, although, my main gripe is with you using an Aspiring Champion rather than an Exalted when all that differs is twenty points, make him an exalted I say. Also, your new Champion in the marauder unit could probably pass off as an Aspiring Champion without a problem

armos
16-09-2007, 17:08
Oh yeah! I was doing a project log wasn't I...

Chaos Spawn this time, Games wise he's not actually for my army he's just there in case of 'Gift of the Gods' going wrong or any of the other ways spawns can just pop up when you're a chaos player...

(sorry the pics aren't great)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/spawn001.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/spawn002.jpg

and a couple of WIP spawns ... the slightly more understated look fits better into my army i think

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/spawn003.jpg

armos
16-09-2007, 22:18
And I also manged to finish off the sorcerer finally... say hi to my level 1 scroll caddy 'Bjaer the Bloodless'

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/sorcerer001.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/sorcerer002.jpg

Aflo
16-09-2007, 22:52
W00t for old-skool heroquest minis! Nice look you've given your plastic spawn. I'm midway into converting mine so's I can squeeze a total of 4 spawn out of the one box, to use as minotaurs. Looking forward to seeing yours painted :)

Be Afraid
17-09-2007, 01:17
all amazing.

the only possible, conceivable flaw i can see is that the hero would look alittle off next too the 'out-of-blister' knights.

armos
19-09-2007, 02:35
Thanks Be Afraid... to be honest your right.. he doesn't even rank up with the knights but I rarley play him as part of the regiment anyway. Background-wise I think of the knights as being the veteren traditionalists of the tribe and not really gonna give the time of day to some fop from the Empire :p

Quick WIP shot of the Warrior front rank.. these guys are nearly done.. as are the rest but I wanted to concentrate on these guys seperatly as I want the front rank to stand out...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/WIP001.jpg

and a quick desk shot just so you can see the environment in which all this is produced ... organised huh? :p

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/WIP002.jpg

Saulot
19-09-2007, 03:20
I spy Night Gobbos! hahahaha hope to see those (AND the Mounted Sorceror) painted and posted in Warseer! :p

Great colors on the Chaos Warriors btw. I feel that it really compliments the General since it has a very "Empire-y" feel to it. Not over-the-top Chaos, just on top. ;)

Drooling for more...

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
19-09-2007, 07:02
Nice looking stuff, well the spawns look better then on the pic's from GW, I also like how the chaos warriors turned out. And don't worry my painting erea is a bigger mess.

Greetz
G

BattleofLund
19-09-2007, 11:29
I spy beer... funny how people differ in noticing stuff.

You painted the Hq magic mupp with pants? To be honest, it makes him look less pansy (but more pantsy) than mine! Nice!

Onwards with the shields!
(btw have I missed something? why are the Warriors' bases levitating?)

armos
19-09-2007, 14:26
Thanks everyone :)

@BattleofLund: yeah.. the trousers seemed obligatory plus I wanted to tie him in with the marauders.

Oh.. and I have a sheet of glass covering my desk-top which is handy for cleaning and such-like... nicely spotted though ;)

@Saulot: cheers for the comments matey... yeah you do see Gobbos... I'm (very very very) slowly working my way through the Battle for Skull Pass box but this is on Hiatus a little until I've finished my Chaos and can start another Plog for it :)

Harry
19-09-2007, 19:35
I see the mounted Chaos sorcerer. Can't wait to see what you do with him. Will he match your unmounted Sorcerer?
(I am can't decide what to do with mine).

EDIT : Sorry ... wonderful painting as always. :D

Anardakil
19-09-2007, 19:43
That old sorcerer model has very long arms, and very short legs. He looks very odd.

But your painting is splendid! :D

Arryn
04-10-2007, 12:49
Man, i just wanna say how much i like checking out your progress with this log and the possessed warband one! Loving your work mate, keep it up!

P.S. Gunna post this in your other log too...

Toschenko
04-10-2007, 21:52
This army is shaping up so great! That champion is amazing, it's always nice to see a great conversion idea coupled with a superlative paint job... I'm subscribing in 5,4,3,2... oh, wait, I have just subscribed :D!

Toschenko

SevenSins
04-10-2007, 23:41
great stuff man, will follow this thread with interest.
Like many others, very fond of those maori-tatoos on the giant!
Nice conversions too, keep it up :)

armos
10-10-2007, 22:02
Thanks guys... finished front rank of the Chaos warriors, the rest are largely done just need to do some detailing and touch ups on the next 15 so watch this space :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos001.jpg

Arhalien
11-10-2007, 09:16
Very nice; the muted metallic colours on the shields are great. Fantastic stuff :)

Setomidor
11-10-2007, 11:29
I like! Very nice.

The level 1 scroll caddy guy seems a bit light on scrolls, don't you think? :)

BarreBobby
11-10-2007, 15:48
Love your metals. Would be nice to see how you achieve those metal areas:)

armos
15-10-2007, 01:47
many thanks everyone

Another Chaos Spawn joins the ranks

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos005.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos008.jpg

@ Setomidor: He's been a scroll Caddy for several years now... think he's got the words memorized ;)

@ BarreBobby: The warriors are painted with a basecoat of boltgun metal. this is then given a wash of Tamiya clear orange/GW chesnut ink/small amount chaos black/water mix (about 5:4:1:8). when dry this is then given a heavy drybrush (i.e. somewhere between drybrushing and overbrushing) of boltgun metal. The edges of the armour are then picked out in mithril silver (slightly watered down and feathered). the deeper recesses are then outlined with black ink (or straight chaos black for the deepest parts like the neck).

Herod
15-10-2007, 03:58
Awesome spawn! The eyes look great.

H

mrtn
15-10-2007, 20:30
"Boooring! I'm gonna go kill something." Nice spawn. :D

armos
16-10-2007, 01:07
Chaos Ogres are finished... enjoy :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos009.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos010.jpg

Caelas
16-10-2007, 02:46
Loving your chaos. Do you use blending or layering?

Earthbeard
16-10-2007, 16:59
Excellent work.

loving all the subtle quirks to these guys/beasts and other gribblies.

The boyz
16-10-2007, 17:59
Those Ogres look great Armos. The skin tone looks very nice. I like the tatoo's as well.

mrtn
17-10-2007, 20:48
Lovely. :)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
18-10-2007, 18:08
Lovely work keep up the awesome work.

Greetz
G

debugging
18-10-2007, 18:39
Love those tatoos!

/debugging

floyd pinkerton
18-10-2007, 19:39
awesome stuff man:D

The_Dark_Raven
19-10-2007, 10:11
you paint some fine models, i really like the warriors very nice armour.

how do you do it??

armos
22-10-2007, 14:29
@ Caelas: not sure what you mean as I always think of layering as a blending technique but I tend to layer on thinned down highlights so the shades belnd into one another anyway. I tend to use thinned washes between stages to tie everything together as well.

@ The_Dark_Raven: check out the post about 11 posts up with the pic of the chaos spawn.. the armour recipe is at the bottom :)

@ everyone else... thanks a lot guys. Second rank of Warriors is finished so 10 more to go

armos
24-10-2007, 03:03
another (very very quick) update...

Was a bit unhappy with the Beastmen I'd finished... I think I've grown a little more patient with my painting since I did the gors and they were looking a little shabby next to some of my other stuff... I think they looked kinda ok on camera but close to there's some glaringly sloppy shading and smudging... anyways as a break from the Chaos Warriors I've decided to start giving these guys a little spit-polish starting with the Foe-Render. As well as some tweaking of the paintjob I've repositioned him slightly so he appears slightly taller then the rest of his gors (and so he ranks up better). I've touched up the highlights on the skin and metallic areas and I've also started painting bone differently from when I started so the horns, banner top and rat-skull have been re-painted accordingly. I also gave him red eyes rather then black as i think this makes him a little more expressive. Base yet to be done but takes no time (once I've bought another pot of Bestial brown)... what do you guys reckon? (check page 1 if you wanna see the original)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos022.jpg

BattleofLund
24-10-2007, 10:09
The F-riender is certainly 'sharper' now.
Looking good!

On second viewing, I realized that your Spawn's Rhino horn was actually a head... (my thanks to Mom's crappy computer).

armos
13-11-2007, 02:01
WIP chaos spawn...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos029.jpg

Toschenko
13-11-2007, 09:34
I'm liking the spawn, maybe a tad Khorn-esque for an undivided army but still looking very cool :cool:!
Oh, and consider the backpack/standard/pole-thingy idea on the foe-render stolen.... hope you don't mind :p

Toschenko

HiveTrygon
13-11-2007, 14:49
Love the spawn, and the foe render is very crisp.

mrtn
13-11-2007, 21:51
That spawn could be a minotaur of Tzeentch. Looking good, and the foe render too. :)

armos
14-11-2007, 01:08
Thanks for the positive comments guys. originally I was gonna leave the spawn with the beast head from the sprue, along the same vein as the more human spawn but i think working through the resident evil games and the general lack of mutations in my army prompted me to have a little fun. He's gonna stay an undivided spawn painted up to go along with the beast-herd.... eventually I intend to seperate the two armies into 2000 pts of mortals and 2000pts of beasts but that's gonna be a while.

@Toschenko: feel free.. I find it incredibly flattering if I can inspire someone with one of my ideas so go ahead with the proviso you send me a pic of the results :)... here's a pic of the foe-render from the back so you can see exactly how lazy I've been when trying to figure out how he fixed the pole to his back

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos030.jpg

bluebugs
14-11-2007, 02:26
long time viewer, first time poster. But those spawn look great, keep up the great work!

Toschenko
14-11-2007, 09:42
Respect to you, Sir :)!

Being lazy myself, I think mine will be hold in place by a dwarf shield :D

Toschenko

armos
12-12-2007, 15:56
Thanks guys... I'm aiming to get the beast-herd and the warhounds done by the end of this month (hopefully so I can post on TOFP) ... it's mostly just filling in details and basing so shouldn't be too much bother so long as I don't run out of Dark flesh or scorched brown paint :p

I've also started work on another little chappy while I'm doing these guys... very WIP at the moment but hopefully you get the idea of where I'm going. Quite pleased with how the horses caparison turned out though I thinnk the skin could afford to be a little paler.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos040.jpg

janos
12-12-2007, 16:55
Your painting style is very unique. Clean Crisp and some nice colour choices.
I personally love your natural colours, they fit very well for the beasty parts of your army and for the rest, too!

I also adore the Magician on steed ybove me. He looks gorgeous now already!

Keep on rocking and cheers!:D

armos
12-12-2007, 17:40
Thanks Janos...

forgot to mention Chaos Warriors are done...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/chaos036.jpg

quite pleased though I'll admit there are some details need filling in with those in the back ranks.. at some point I'll go back and add a little more detail to the horns as well.

mrtn
13-12-2007, 19:51
That's looking very good, the chaos warriors are gorgeous. I just wonder how the musician will be able to blow his horn? ;)

glenning
13-12-2007, 21:25
I love the spawn, he(it?) looks like a very brutal and nightmarish beast! And the warriors looks awesome too!

tancrede
13-12-2007, 21:46
i love the face of the wizard !!
and the warriors look like chaos warrior should look : disciplined and brutal !

nice army, and keep up the good work !

Khorghan
14-12-2007, 05:12
i havent checked this thread in a while, its all coming along very nicely

sigur
15-12-2007, 04:13
Oh my, your painting puts mine to shame. I really like this Gor fella; the metallics on him look very, very good, as well as the skulls and the warpaint. Liking the spawn too and fits very well with your other beasts of chaos. Did you use a regular Gor head and add some GS to make a lower jaw or did you sculpt the whole head yourself?

I commented the Chaos Warriors in the Tale of Fantasy painters already. Still like them much.:p

For some weird reason, I still don't like this mounted Chaos sorcerer model much but your painting looks great so far and it looks more impressive than on the pictures I know from GW. Keep up the good work!;)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
15-12-2007, 10:25
Nice looking chaos warriors, their shields look really awesome.

Greetz
G

armos
15-12-2007, 15:53
Cheers for the comments everyone :)

@Sigur: thanks a lot matey. the Spawn uses the beast-head from the spawn sprue but i hacked off the jaw and added the mandibles and a tentacle for the tongue (all from the spawn sprue) and sculpted the teeth and torn flesh around it with green stuff. I also had to re-sculpt the ears on as i accidently scraped the originals off when i cleaned off the mould lines. I'm not much of a sculpter (this modl pretty much represents the apex of my sculpting ability) but I reckon I can cover up any glaringly poor parts when I get round to painting him

mousekiller
16-12-2007, 05:09
Wow, mate, you have come quite a ways with this update since I last checked in. It is really some amazing progress. I particularly like the goth like effect the black tattooing around the eyes of the chaos ogre gives.

Also, the mounted special edition wizard is pretty cool, very earthy colors.

And definitely congratulations on painting up all those chaos warriors.

And... well, you get the point. Great work mate.

dr3amgawd
18-12-2007, 01:17
Awesome ! Simply awesome!

i love the marauders, each model is unique in it's own way, armour, weap from various armies. Great Stuff !

The giant is my fave too. Great work on the gory spikes and excellent tattoo free hand !

Keep it up :)

sainthale1988
18-12-2007, 08:17
a very well rounded project. i enjoyed reading your background very much and you paint to an excellent standard. *subscribed*

Kilroy
18-12-2007, 23:58
I'm liking what I'm seeing, good work man.

I especially like the rag-tag look of the marauders.

*Suscribation*

chaoslordmassurgi
30-03-2008, 17:26
coolest tatoos on a giant i have ever seen 8)

Kain Total40k
31-03-2008, 00:51
Inspirational!

Kain

Eigilb
10-06-2008, 11:40
Subscribed.

specially like your asp champ. Has a nice fallen-empire-hero-look about it.

chaoslordmassurgi
18-08-2008, 12:04
All done.. I'm quite pleased but I'll be honest i'm still a little unsure of the shield... I was kinda thinking maybe I'll go back at a later date and try something a little more adventurous for him but suffering from distinct lack of inspiration shield-wise at the moment... enjoy

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers001.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers002-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/warhammers003-1.jpg

what do you reckon?

i bow down as you clearly lavish your models 10x their weight in gold you have my respect as a fellow chaos collector.

^_^
19-08-2008, 00:47
This army is so wonderful, I love all the conversions, because they're not too much but still very eye-catching. And then of course your painting level is very good, the technique and the details, evething about it.

Tadaotoko
17-02-2009, 17:26
Lowe the spawn. Is it made from the new plastic sprew?

Hawkmoon
18-02-2009, 16:08
Holy threadomancy Batman!:eek:

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 17:24
Damn, where is that Counterspell

demi_morgana
30-04-2010, 13:27
damn nice work!!!
all chaos guys look great but I like heroquest sorcerer the most - it's so good to see someone still painits these old models!!! :D

reign beaux
01-05-2010, 12:17
your painting is superb and i want your giant awesome work and keep it up