PDA

View Full Version : Nuln Light Horse - Empire Core

jma037
28-07-2005, 05:34
The best handgunners of Nuln are formed into regiments of fast cavlary to assist crusades or to keep up with fast moving troops. They also scout out the advance for the main army.

.............M....WS....BS....S....T....I....W.... A....Ld
Trooper..4.....3......4.......3....3....3....1.... 1.....7
Horse.....8.....3......-........3...3....3.....1....1....5

*Fast Cavlary

Equipements:
*Light Armour
*Spear
*Carbine - Short version of the handgun with a simpler firing mechnism. Range: 18"
- Move or Shoot (representing the riders getting off their horses to shoot and then getting back on)
- OR Move up to 4" and shoot at -1 to hit.(Firing from the Saddle)

Up grades:
Musicans
Standard Bear
Marksman - no penalty to hit when mving and shooting.

Up to 3 troopers can be upgraded to scouts.

Comments, Ideas, Suggestions?

Lady's Champion
28-07-2005, 08:30
I am very much in favour of these rules, but why 3 to scout- i don't get it

Their points cost would have to be at least 16- and why the spears

Hideous Loon
28-07-2005, 18:12
Member of the Militaristic Grammar and Spelling Movement says: It's cavalry, not cavlary. And the Standard is to be carried by a Bearer, not a Bear. So there.

hideous_loon says: What's with the spears? If they have a handgun (sorta), then why have a charge weapon? Just to have them fulfill two roles (trying to sit in two chairs at once, one could say), which I believe is a waste of points. And why can only three of them Scout?

jma037
29-07-2005, 07:27
Here are some points made on another forum:

The only fast cavalry in the empire list is currently the pistoliers. Their noble up bringing may make them more inclined to engage more prestigous units then war marchines. The light horse are designed to to attack war machines, lone wizards and such.

Their scouting ability is based on the same model as huntsmen. A unit of 3 may scout.

I see them as a utility fast cavalry at the disposal of the commander. They are not really a experimental unit. More of a prestige unit for the handgunners of Nuln. Every gunner will dream one day that they can ride alongside with knights(however unlikely that is).

I admit they do have a dragoon-y feel. (charge of the light brigade anyone?) But when you have gyrpcopters and multibarreled cannons and tanks. I don't think it's a such big leap for someone to put some hot shot handgunners on drought horses and send them on that stone trower that the noble pistoliers wouldn't touch.

Regarding getting off the horse to shot, the light horse in real life does it as well. Due to their small numbers, I don't think it's to hard for them to get back on the horse and ride away.
Mounted scouts always seemed to be a good idea in WHFB, the same reason they are in real life. I had it a Unit of three because I wanted to tune down the killing power of scouts. They are not there to inflitrate. Archer are normally 10+, but hunts men are 5. So I thought I'll half the cavlary size and round it up.

Dragoons has been around since the mid 17th centry.

I give the troopers BS4 because I wanted there to be a penalty for shooting while mounted, but I don't want it to be BS2 shots.
Any ideas?

Maybe I'll have them BS3 and -2 penalty for long range while moved up to 4". Normall -1 if they move or shoot. This just means that while within 9" they can shoot and move. Staying outside of charging range of infantry.

Possible uses?
-Taking shots at infantry that are shielded from another unit?
-more fluffy to have then gunners in a all mounted or cavalry heavy list?
-War machine hunting
-wizard hunting
-geneally shooting things that are not nomally in line of sight

Anything else you can think off?

Everything is subject to change. I just want to keep the orginal principle.

Ideas, Comments, Suggestions?

Cheers!

boogle
29-07-2005, 09:11
you also need to set unit limits (3-?) and also designate a choice (Core/Special/Rare, maybe Special in the Artilliary Train list, rare in others, or as an upgrade to a Great Cannon, not taking up a slot but moving it to a rare choice)

jma037
29-07-2005, 11:21
#############################################
Executive Summary:

Nuln Imperial Dragoons............17Pts
Empire Special Unit

.................M....WS....BS....S....T....I....W ....A....Ld
Trooper......4.....3......3.......3....3....3....1 ....1.....7
Marksmen..4.....3......4.......3....3....3....1... .1.....8
Horse.........8.....3......-........3...3....3.....1....1....5

Unit: 5+
Fast Cavalry

Equipement: Hand Weapons, Light Armour, Dragon(carbine), horse.

Dragon(carbine)
- Range:18" S:4 Armour Piercing
- Can move up to 4" and fire
- No Penalty if target within 6"
- -1 to hit if target within 12"
- -2 to hit if target within 18"

*Can be up grade to demilances(spears) at +1 per model
*One trooper can be upgraded to a marksman at +5 points
*One trooper can be upgraded to a musician at +5 points
*One trooper can be upgraded to a standard bearer for +10 points

0-1 3 X models unit may be upgrade to scouts at +2 pts per model.

#############################################

Comments, Ideas, Suggestions, Testers?

Cheers!

boogle
29-07-2005, 11:28
i would limit the unit to something like 3-10 models and word the scout bit as '0-1 unit of no more than 3 Dragoons may be given the scout ability at 2 pts per model, they may not take a Standard/Musician however'

Gazak Blacktoof
29-07-2005, 23:59
I think removing the scout option would be better.

Scouting cavalry is just wrong. Instead give them the ambush rule or go for the more reliable dwarf miner varient. So instead of hiding in a wood they would be deployed to flank wide, horses hiding in forests might fit well with real life but in warhammer the idea of scouting cavalry is just wrong. You wont have many options of where to deploy the unit as scouts except inside terrain which will make them rubbish quite frankly.