PDA

View Full Version : Online sellers of bits for conversions

Biff Gunhed
26-03-2007, 03:06
Hi all, I've recently (this year) become aware of a few sellers of plastic bits online. I think this is awesome: I really like modelling with plastic sets and in the past I've ended up buying an entire box set to get a few plastic bits contained therein.

Anyway, I was hoping we could get a list of online bits sellers, as they aren't always easy to find. These are the ones I'm currently aware of:

Battlewagon Bits - http://www.battlewagon-bits.com/
Bitz Box - http://bitzbox.co.uk/
Conversion Bits (seems to now be dead) - http://www.conversionbits.com/

Anyone know of any others?

Biff Gunhed
27-03-2007, 08:03
No one?

Also, what's with GW asking Battlewagon Bits to remove the box and codex images from their site? Is there something illegal there?

Bookwrak
27-03-2007, 08:07
I have no idea if there's anything actually illegal about it, but GW's U.S. online sale policy forbids the use of shopping carts, or images of GW models. BWbits uses both, and so GW had a bug up their butt about it.

BrainFireBob
27-03-2007, 08:44
BW Bitz can use pics of bitz for their shopping carts. They've had to drop the images, though.

Biff Gunhed
27-03-2007, 09:14
That seems totally bizarre. GW gets revenue from boxes sold this way, so why on earth would they be against showing images, which certainly help in sales?

But back on topic, are there any other bits stores out there?

Col.Gravis
27-03-2007, 09:34
I wonder if GW got to Conversion Bits as well, as they did with Battlewagon bits - the online shopping carts going soon for bits orders.

http://www.battlewagon-bits.com/category/promotions.battlewagon_news/

BrainFireBob
27-03-2007, 09:39
They're a pretty new phenomena.

It's GW trying to force you to order from them, under cover of "we're helping brick and mortar stores"

Col.Gravis
27-03-2007, 09:45
GW US is yeah, GW UK does'nt appear to be doing likewise.

crandall87
27-03-2007, 13:00
GW wouldn't let us use their images for our categories. To answer your previous question:

http://www.wookiehole.com

TKitch
27-03-2007, 13:18
..... "To help move forward the hobby"

Ummm, no.

You're hamstringing one of the best ways to HELP move forward the hobby you fat, capitalist pig-dogs!

Get over yourselves! BWBitz is a great service, offering something YOU DON"T. Go @(#$ yourself.

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!

Lusis
27-03-2007, 15:23
<redacted>

ashc
27-03-2007, 15:32
ah TKitch you crack me up (and speak the truth too).

There are quite a few now popping up; looks as though the UK ones are having an easier time of it at the moment compared to the US (see the thread about BWBits in 'Other GW'. :chrome:

Ash

electricblooz
27-03-2007, 16:37
You're hamstringing one of the best ways to HELP move forward the hobby you fat, capitalist pig-dogs!

Yeap - good thing I got all the bitz from BWBitz that I was going to need for a while... I absolutely hate the "phone order only" business and won't do business with companies that use that model.

and really, all it's about is GW trying to drive business to their site so they can make money off of both selling product and over-charging you for shipping.

EmperorEternalXIX
27-03-2007, 18:47
Yeah. They are overdoing it, man. I'm not usually a part of the "GW are greedy pigs everything is overpriced" crowd, but this is a prime example of just that. You'd think they'd realize--"Wow, people are buying tons of stuff everywhere but us. I wonder why?" But much like the company I work for now, they are deathly afraid to lower anything that contributes a base profit (such as prices) in the possibility of maybe selling more of the products.

Sad. Imagine if they scaled back every price by say 10 bucks american, the difference it would make...? I would own 6000 points of SMs right now instead of 2000 just counting purchases I couldnt' afford/wanted but wasn't able to buy without severe financial crippling.

And those bastards STILL haven't sent me my damn dreadnought!

VetSgtNamaan
27-03-2007, 19:12
honesty I have no idea why the phone order only thing is such a big deal BWbits has even said they will phone you if you email them your number and a time to take the order I think that is hardly an inconvenience.

Daemonslave
27-03-2007, 19:23
I agree with you all wholeheartedly regarding the stance of GW towards companies like BattlewagonBitz.

Another place to look is Under The Couch (UTC) on ebay, they don't have as much bits as Battlewagon but their list is slowly getting bigger.

Evilhomer
27-03-2007, 19:29
Iirc, the trade account agreement (UK) stipulates that you're not to split up boxes. I assume this means that bits services are therefore in violation of this agreement.

EmperorEternalXIX
27-03-2007, 19:48
Well maybe GW should get with the program and start packaging bits separately...instead of making me buy an entire box set to get a right-handed powerfist.

Brother Siccarius
27-03-2007, 19:49
That seems totally bizarre. GW gets revenue from boxes sold this way, so why on earth would they be against showing images, which certainly help in sales?

The way it was described when they first went on the anti-online store crusade was that they dont bring in as much revenue as an actual store.

It works out like this, each distributer of GW products gets a discounted price on products from the retail price on the box. An online store doesn't have to worry about shelling as much money on their website than they would if they had a physical location. So many websites sell their products at or close to the discounted distributer price.

Now, this creates a problem, as because they don't have a physical location they don't bring in new players, they don't host gaming sessions, and they don't support any part of the hobby other than buying the models. This is because few, if any, people will go to an online store to look at what it's selling if they aren't already interested in what they sell. Whereas in a physical location such as a hobby store, people will stop in for one type of product and glance over another line, increasing the amount of new players interested in it. In a mall location you have people constantly browsing new stores and products, increasing new players brought into the hobby even more.

Similarly, look at all that any GW product selling physical store does that these online stores don't: painting competitions, gaming leagues, workshops, and gaming tables. You don't buy from your local gaming hole, they wont cater to the hobby anymore.

And for those complaining about bits, why not make some friends at your local gaming hubs and work out a trade?

Also, if you took notice of the new devastators squads, they're at a lowered price. The same goes with all plastics boxes really, and you notice that in the past ten years they've been moving everything to plastics? Even going so far as to invest in new technologies to make the plastics more detailed and better quality.

jfrazell
27-03-2007, 20:21
That’s not accurate when it comes to bits. You know it and I know it. You can't just go and make friends and make a trade. Obviously if I'm willing to spend money that means I'm not able to trade for what is desired. For example I want scatter lasers, twelve scatter lasers. Lets assume I manage to trade for two scatter lasers. That still leaves me with a need for ten.

-I used to be able to order bits directly from GW. Not now, not for their eldar stuff.
-Then BWbits (and others came around). I used to be able to order from them online. Not now. Lets assume these newfound services disappear.
-To get my ten scatter lasers I’d have to buy 10 heavy weapon boxes. That’s nuts and there’s no way I’m going to do that so GW just lost, directly or indirectly, income from 10 scat lasers.

Brother Siccarius
27-03-2007, 20:37
That’s not accurate when it comes to bits. You know it and I know it. You can't just go and make friends and make a trade. Obviously if I'm willing to spend money that means I'm not able to trade for what is desired. For example I want scatter lasers, twelve scatter lasers. Lets assume I manage to trade for two scatter lasers. That still leaves me with a need for ten.

-I used to be able to order bits directly from GW. Not now, not for their eldar stuff.
-Then BWbits (and others came around). I used to be able to order from them online. Not now. Lets assume these newfound services disappear.
-To get my ten scatter lasers I’d have to buy 10 heavy weapon boxes. That’s nuts and there’s no way I’m going to do that so GW just lost, directly or indirectly, income from 10 scat lasers.

Actually, I don't know that. My gaming league has done several bits trades and hosted a bits trading night.

You're unsatisfied with the US GW site, as the UK one still sells sprues and bits. Applying that to the entirety of GW is ignorant. If you want to order bits, go to the UK online store and get the product code of the item you want off of their website, then call GW mail order and get it through them. While you're there, register a complaint about not being able to buy the bits on the online website. I always get the feeling that people like to complain about these kinds of things behind the back of the company instead of registering a complaint with them.

EmperorEternalXIX
27-03-2007, 20:50
...which makes it all the more infuriating for people who are stuck with poorly casted all-metal minis.

I'm not against GW's points, but at the same time...I am not going to be suckered. I should not have to go down to the store and network for a few months before bartering a trade for my own bits -- many of which I might prefer to keep.

Other than that everyone will be looking for the same rare bits...lascannons, plasmaguns, assault cannons, lightning claws, and powerfists immediately jump to mind.

You also have no assurance of the quality of the bits or whether or not they were used, whether they were fake re-molds, or whether they are even 4th ed. The potential for being ripped off is huge; even further to the point, this would totally eliminate GW's income from online stuff as opposed to it merely being not gargantuan like they'd prefer.

For an experienced player with the money I like the option to order individual parts. They allow you to order individual sprues of plastics but they sure do a good job keeping the option hidden....

Brother Siccarius
27-03-2007, 21:03
...which makes it all the more infuriating for people who are stuck with poorly casted all-metal minis.

I'm not against GW's points, but at the same time...I am not going to be suckered. I should not have to go down to the store and network for a few months before bartering a trade for my own bits -- many of which I might prefer to keep.

Other than that everyone will be looking for the same rare bits...lascannons, plasmaguns, assault cannons, lightning claws, and powerfists immediately jump to mind.

You also have no assurance of the quality of the bits or whether or not they were used, whether they were fake re-molds, or whether they are even 4th ed. The potential for being ripped off is huge; even further to the point, this would totally eliminate GW's income from online stuff as opposed to it merely being not gargantuan like they'd prefer.

For an experienced player with the money I like the option to order individual parts. They allow you to order individual sprues of plastics but they sure do a good job keeping the option hidden....

It removes the GW income section of it, but it's still suggested by GW because it supports local gaming leagues and communities. (This kind of supports the other side of the argument about GW possibly being money grubbing)

Your sprue woes? It's printed in every single White Dwarf since it's inception and it's one of the options on the US website under the shopping header: GW Mail Order. Call them, tell them what you want, you get it. If it's bad casting, send them an e-mail at their customer service address and they'll send you a better casted one.

I'm not saying I'm completely against the bits selling sites, I'm saying I'm against those on here that state that GW is money grubbing. The most they've seemingly done against these sites is request that they take down a couple of pictures.

I'm even further against those who state it....and then go to buy more of their products...

electricblooz
27-03-2007, 21:21
honesty I have no idea why the phone order only thing is such a big deal BWbits has even said they will phone you if you email them your number and a time to take the order I think that is hardly an inconvenience.

But that's the point, it is a completely unnecessary inconvenience.

Look, GW is not making any additional money by preventing bitz companies from running shopping carts, all GW is doing is making it more of hassle to buy from other online retailers. Why then would GW do it (rhetorical)?

Here's the argument:

A: GW is not opposed to a company reselling bitz. (Proof, they didn't just serve up a cease and desist order...)
B: Gw will make exactly the same amount of money regardless of whether said bitz are sold via an online shopping cart or phone/mail order. (Proof, the bitz have to come from somewhere and GW is the only source. Regardless of how the reseller got them, GW made money off them somewhere.)

So the question becomes what's the point! I see cede the argument that online retailers of whole kits cannabilize sales from brick and mortar joints and that doing so is bad for the hobby. And I cede that BwBitz should've been smarter than to try and sell whole kits through their system. But what is the point of making me waste the 15-20 mintues of browsing and telephoning if all I want is a stupid $2 pair of SM Legs?

jfrazell
27-03-2007, 22:02
So the question becomes what's the point! I see cede the argument that online retailers of whole kits cannabilize sales from brick and mortar joints and that doing so is bad for the hobby. And I cede that BwBitz should've been smarter than to try and sell whole kits through their system. But what is the point of making me waste the 15-20 mintues of browsing and telephoning if all I want is a stupid $2 pair of SM Legs?

So they can sell you a sprue direct from their website (when they are available) at a higher price, because you can directly acquire it.

EmperorEternalXIX
27-03-2007, 23:34
Every single piece GW makes should be available via catalog and online shopping cart. I mean, every single piece. After all, these things are made from molds, so could they not extrapolate certain pieces from each sprue as necessary?

I just find it frustrating that I have to find some way to get ahold of, say, a right handed clenched powerfist...other than calling them up and asking for it.

I'm all for them making money, I just don't want options to be taken away. Otherwise more people will just remold their first 10 models and never buy from them again, thus destroying the game we all love (in some capacity).

I know I have considered remolding some of my better marines, for example. But in the end I refused--because I want to give GW money to keep making the game. This is also why I don't buy kits off of ebay, no matter how good the deal or paintjob.

Also, a quick aside: I should never have to call them up and say "Yeah you gave me a weird cast of this power fist, can you redo it?" 1.) They are going to make me pay massive shipping fees again. 2.) Odds are "All sales are final, all products are provided 'as is'" will apply. And 3.) Assuming they don't hinge on 1 and 2, they will almost more than likely be like, "Sure, just pay to ship it back to us in the UK so we can make sure it's cocked, and we'll gladly replace it. Then there's of course option 4.) All of the above.

I'm new to 40k but not to shipping overseas. They would likely never replace a poor cast, if I had to guess. If they've made such conventions for some of you, that's one thing; but I'm sure myself, being 2000 miles away, will not be getting any free recasts with no shipping costs.

lord_blackfang
27-03-2007, 23:54
I'm new to 40k but not to shipping overseas. They would likely never replace a poor cast, if I had to guess. If they've made such conventions for some of you, that's one thing; but I'm sure myself, being 2000 miles away, will not be getting any free recasts with no shipping costs.

You guess wrong:)

I'm from Slovenia. Slovenia. Where the heck is that, right? We don't even have a GW store. Well, GW UK have always sent me replacement parts with no questions asked.

EmperorEternalXIX
28-03-2007, 00:48
Well one thing I don't know is geography. So where is Slovenia in relation to GW UK? Because I'm across an ocean, and I imagine that can be costly for them...especially for one microscopic part or two.

Brother Siccarius
28-03-2007, 01:10
So they can sell you a sprue direct from their website (when they are available) at a higher price, because you can directly acquire it.

Check those prices again, look at the price of sprues available, and add up the price of the bits that are on the sprues as sold by BWbits. The cost of all the bits on the sprues is more than if you had just bought the sprues.

Khornies & milk
28-03-2007, 01:51
When does this BWB 'no cart' thing happen, because I just ordered 4 DW Assault Cannons from them in the past half hour. The Cart was still there, and everything went through as usual - no sweat!

insaniak
28-03-2007, 02:25
After all, these things are made from molds, so could they not extrapolate certain pieces from each sprue as necessary?

Not sure what you mean here... Yes, they're made from moulds, but a sprue is cast as a single piece. They're not about to make moulds for each individual piece... the cost would be ridiculous.

Also, a quick aside: I should never have to call them up and say "Yeah you gave me a weird cast of this power fist, can you redo it?"

In an ideal world, sure, nobody would ever make mistakes, and everything you buy would be perfect. Not going to happen in the real world, though.

1.) They are going to make me pay massive shipping fees again. 2.) Odds are "All sales are final, all products are provided 'as is'" will apply. And 3.) Assuming they don't hinge on 1 and 2, they will almost more than likely be like, "Sure, just pay to ship it back to us in the UK so we can make sure it's cocked, and we'll gladly replace it. Then there's of course option 4.) All of the above.

This simply isn't how GW work.

For all of their faults, their customer service when it comes to faulty product is second to none. In the vast majority of cases, GW will simply ship out a replacement part without asking for the original back, at no extra cost to you.

but I'm sure myself, being 2000 miles away, will not be getting any free recasts with no shipping costs.

The distance matters not. I live in Australia. I've had replacement parts shipped from the UK, with no questions asked.

TKitch
28-03-2007, 02:27

Of COURSE BWBitz is making money off a complete sprue worth of bitz, they have to pay for the labor in chopping up very large amounts of it!

They make their money off the 'premium' bitz, the ones in high demand. Duh. It's called Capitalism, supply and demand. IE: The Assault Cannon from the Termies or the Beakie heads, they cost a *lot*, but they're insane high demand items.

It's the way of the universe.

HiveFleetEzekial
28-03-2007, 03:09
Then some of the bits they(BWB) sell must be in MAJOR demand!

3$ for ONE shoulder pad!? 3$ for ONE helmet!?

EE: like inasniak said, distance from UK doesn't matter. (well, for him it does, being from AU, but doesn't still). UK isn't the *only* distribution center they have for their vast amount of product. They've got several warehouses here in the states! Some of them *really* close to customers (memphis' is only a 3-4 hour drive from me).

And it's better to have to call GW up, direct, and ask for miscast/damaged/etc parts/sprues to be replaced.. *and* sometimes end up get a whole kit as a replacement, totaly free of charge *and* get to keep all the originals, than say. have to go through tons and tons of e-mails, waiting and waiting for someone to handle your complaint, only to end up likely being charged for it all over again because they somehow 'lost' your original order (BWB has had that 'problem' more than a few times. GW hasn't)

Personally, I would absolutely LOVE to get the bits i want, and *just* the bits i want.. from someone like BWB. But as long as there's even a single story of a problem being misshandled (specialy when they could afford to handle them the same way GW does, if they cared enough to give it a start), I'll gladly give GW the extra money for a full sprue. Not only will i still have plenty of stuff to spare, plus things to paint in my 'between army/untis' time, but i could just as easily turn around and sell the bits i don't need, to someone local that does.

Lyinar
28-03-2007, 03:11
I would never have even done my Black Legion army if it weren't for Battlewagon Bits, as I put a hell of a lot of conversion work into them. Also, I'd likely not be doing my Deathwing army, as I'd have to either carefully allocate it so that I could make the entire army out of full sets of Normal and Assault Terminators, or pay $75 per squad for one box set and one weapon sprue for the other.

I have NEVER understood Games Workshop's rabidly anti-online stance, but then again, I live in the middle of fething NOWHERE. I have to drive for four gorram hours to get to the nearest Games Workshop store OR Rogue Trader. I don't bloody HAVE a group to play with and do bitz swaps.

Brother Siccarius
28-03-2007, 03:39
I have NEVER understood Games Workshop's rabidly anti-online stance, but then again, I live in the middle of fething NOWHERE. I have to drive for four gorram hours to get to the nearest Games Workshop store OR Rogue Trader. I don't bloody HAVE a group to play with and do bitz swaps.

They 'asked them to take down the shopping cart and the pictures of some boxed sets'*. I wouldn't call that "rabid" unless you consider a bunny nibbling your toes to be "rabid".

*I really haven't seen anything on their site at all about having to remove the shopping cart, and the boxed sets and images were voluntarily given up in accordance to GW's rights to the images on them and their intellectual property, by their own admittance

Lyinar
28-03-2007, 03:45
Well, considering they don't allow US-based online hobby stores to sell their figures ONLINE, then I'd call that rabid. The WarStore has no problems selling the stuff mail-order, but they can't even have a Games Workshop section in their online store.

Templar Ben
28-03-2007, 14:19
Well one thing I don't know is geography. So where is Slovenia in relation to GW UK? Because I'm across an ocean, and I imagine that can be costly for them...especially for one microscopic part or two.

They would likely just ship it from the mill in Memphis. ;)

Brother Siccarius
28-03-2007, 15:04
Well, considering they don't allow US-based online hobby stores to sell their figures ONLINE, then I'd call that rabid. The WarStore has no problems selling the stuff mail-order, but they can't even have a Games Workshop section in their online store.

Think of it this way. Many people buy from the online stores because they can offer better prices as they dont have to finance a physical location. With more people buying from the online stores, many brick and mortar hobby stores may find the lines unprofitable, and may not carry them for much longer. If even one store stops carrying and supporting the line, it could mean upwards of 50 people losing their place to game and hold competitions. When that happens, many of them might just lose interest in the hobby rather than have to find an entirely new place to game.

It's in the interest of the company to keep the brick and mortar stores interested in their lines of products. It's in their interest because it's in their gamers interest. And the difference between selling them online and selling them mail order shouldn't be that horrible to you if you're trying to buy from that company or store.

I've seen it happen where enough people bought from online in an area to where their store stopped carrying the games. Some of them switched stores, many of them dropped it all together.

VetSgtNamaan
28-03-2007, 16:04
Well I am all for supporting local business but at the same time I am just going to pay higher prices to the local indie store just cause. If the discounts get too high compared to what I can get it retail stores then your know where I will be shopping. We never used to play 40k at the local store just the new owner inticed us down by staying open late one night a week for us. Yes he is a nice guy and yes I spend alot of money there regardless of my gw purchases (since FOW arrived his gw sales have tanked and thusly nothing arrives on release date anymore ) I would say in our store anyway 40k is dead. Sure we can arrange a game but come down on a games and the room will be filled with FOW and Battletech players. And it generally comes down to cost. Since in FOW under a 100 dollars can get you a 1500pt army. That is a much more palatable price for a parent who has to buy for thier son or daughter. An while I am sure they are dozen of 40k games going on most are not happening at the store since well parking downtown is a pain and not every I am sure is able to come down on a weekday night due to work and/or family commitments.

I think the days of store relying on a single item or product line are coming to an end and that more than any customer loathing might be the silver bullet to drop the GW beast. Of course I could be talking out my butt to since I am hardly an expert on running a business.

Biff Gunhed
29-03-2007, 01:05
I think it would be a lot better if instead of shutting down online stores, GW fixed up their pricing. Perhaps as a stockist you would get a discount if your store hosted gaming. This might even-out prices so it isn't a no-brainer to just buy from online stores. Brick-and-mortar stores are all well and good unless you don't have any in your area, then online stores are your only source.

Brother Siccarius
29-03-2007, 06:40
I think it would be a lot better if instead of shutting down online stores, GW fixed up their pricing. Perhaps as a stockist you would get a discount if your store hosted gaming. This might even-out prices so it isn't a no-brainer to just buy from online stores. Brick-and-mortar stores are all well and good unless you don't have any in your area, then online stores are your only source.

The logistics of this would be a nightmare.

Biff Gunhed
29-03-2007, 06:50
The logistics of this would be a nightmare.

I don't see how it requires any more logistics than putting restrictions on existing online stores. Essentially there is a standard price for all distributors, which would be slightly higher than it currently is. Then brick-and-mortar stores apply for a discount because they're promoting the growth of the hobby. I'm no administrator, but that doesn't seem very nightmarish to me.

rrchristensen
29-03-2007, 09:01
Check those prices again, look at the price of sprues available, and add up the price of the bits that are on the sprues as sold by BWbits. The cost of all the bits on the sprues is more than if you had just bought the sprues.

Granted. If you want what's on the sprue it's cheaper to buy the sprue from GW - or in some cases, to buy the box the sprue is in at a discount from an discount online retailer. But the good bit about BWBITS is that when you need multiples of anything, they are really your friend.

Example: I bought 12 pairs of 8 Chaos Space Marine sashes, by which I mean those thingies you hang from their belts with ammo pouches, grenades, and holstered bolt pistols. I got them because they were the absolutely cheapest way of getting a lot of holstered pistols for my Dark Angels. Required a bit of filing to remove the sashes, which I didn't want on my marines, but it was worth it. I could have bought the loyalist bits instead, and saved myself some work, but they were priced at more than I wanted to pay. Still cheap though, especially compared to the alternative: I can't even begin to imagine how much I would have had to pay to get those holsters if I had to buy boxed sets to get them. You only get *4* of those particular bits I wanted the most in a CSM squad box. There's, what, 2 holstered pistols in a loyalist SM tactical squad set? I paid $0.99 total for four plus four non-BP sashes I didn't particularly need but which were part of the deal.

Total price: $11.88 for 48 holstered bolt pistols
+ $3.99 international shipping.

I bought some other bits as well, such as a whole lot of those curved Khorne Berserker swords in holsters to go with my Vostroyan Rough Riders. These were insanely cheap. Oh, and several terminator storm bolters for easy and cheap conversion into storm bolters for my DA Veterans squads.

All in all I got more than 100 pieces of plastic for roughly the price of one Tactical Squad. The only thing I needed was those bits. I had everything else in abundance, and the missus is giving me dirty looks when I bring home more space marines. BWBITS suits my needs perfectly.

EDIT: 159 pieces, 119 of which I actually specifically needed and 48 which were non-BP sashes, for $35 including shipping. That's the exact price of a Tactical squad on the GW US online store.

rev
29-03-2007, 09:41
Although this is irritating, for me it is a good thing.

It will force me (out of principal) to work more with greenstuff and plasticard to achieve my conversions, as its unreasonable to buy whole box sets for pieces you want.

get your greenstuff out people! lets use this as an opportunity to become better moddlers!

rev

jfrazell
29-03-2007, 12:43
Yes, in the aforementioned scat laser conversion, I'll be using rods and bits from the local hobby store in lieu of acquiring those as bits.

Tyron
29-03-2007, 16:48
Guys, I remember a poster having a link in his sig of a UK store selling warhammer regiment boxes for 13 each! Do any of you guys rememebr the site I have searched all over the site but I cant find it.

Thanks!

Brandir
30-03-2007, 22:04
Iirc, the trade account agreement (UK) stipulates that you're not to split up boxes. I assume this means that bits services are therefore in violation of this agreement.

GW can't make those sort of agreements in the UK as EU rules allow retailers to sell product as they want. EU rules also state retailers can set their own prices, can be online only traders and GW cannot refuse to sell to online only shops. Additionally, GW can't offer different trading terms apart from some minor tinkering - for example real shops can have more generous credit terms and a 2.5% discount for settling within 14 days.

Brandir
30-03-2007, 22:09
Oh yes,

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Wookie-Hole gets my 'bits vote'. I think they are setting up a dedicated online shop at www.wookiehole.com soon

crandall87
30-03-2007, 23:36
Just so people know. You may find that you can't get on Bitzbox or Wookiehole. Both sites are hosted by the same web host and the host have been having server troubles. Hopefully it will be fixed but I am planning on moving Bitzbox onto a new server which should be more reliable. This could take a few days to set up however and I am not sure how easy this will be due to the site being database driven. I hope to have things sorted over the weekend.

crandall87
02-04-2007, 12:42
sorry for the double post. just to let you know bitzbox is back online and we are offering half price shipping this week to compensate. wookiehole is also back online.

insaniak
02-04-2007, 22:26
GW can't make those sort of agreements in the UK as EU rules allow retailers to sell product as they want.

They also can't make those sorts of agreements with anyone who doesn't actually have a trade account with them... Bits sellers who buy their stock at retail are not bound by the rules governing trade accounts.

crandall87
02-04-2007, 22:48
Anyone who sells bits such as ourselves are not eligible for a trade account so if your statement is true then it shouldn't affect any bits sellers who are following the rules.

Stormsender
05-04-2007, 09:09
Although this is irritating, for me it is a good thing.

It will force me (out of principal) to work more with greenstuff and plasticard to achieve my conversions, as its unreasonable to buy whole box sets for pieces you want.

get your greenstuff out people! lets use this as an opportunity to become better moddlers!

rev

Really this makes alot of sense especially if you can make a green stuff mold to make and remake the plastic part you'll need for your armies.

t-tauri
05-04-2007, 09:35
Just to stick in a recommendation for www.bitzbox.co.uk -next day delivery of an order for 75p. Can't beat that.

scarletsquig
05-04-2007, 09:55
Really this makes alot of sense especially if you can make a green stuff mold to make and remake the plastic part you'll need for your armies.

Heh, I know someone that's done this to save the odd bit of cash here and there.

It's not really worth doing for a whole sprue (and the lower quality would show), but for little things like an extra assault cannon for a terminator squad, or a bunch of missile launchers for a devestator squad, it's a pretty handy way of getting around GW's stubborn "we won't actually make it remotely easy/cheap to field the models that you can pick using the codex on the table, just suck it up and pay the 8 for the sprue with the bunch of other crap you don't want, and be truly grateful for our fine minatures" approach.

sanctusmortis
08-04-2007, 16:52
Gah! Finding beaky heads is a nightmare... ah well. Back to trying to find the knight helmets...

crandall87
08-04-2007, 18:11
Just to stick in a recommendation for www.bitzbox.co.uk -next day delivery of an order for 75p. Can't beat that.

Granted we were running half price delivery for that week but most orders in the UK placed before noon-1pm should arrive next day.

As for finding the beaky heads they seem to pass through us quicker than most meals. They usually sell out the day we have them in stock again, same with studded shoulder pads and other popular bits.

thelightbringer
08-04-2007, 18:12
battlewagon bits are my saviour !!all my assault squads have melta bombs!! you only get three in the box!! and when you play wysiwig tyrants!!? Secondly Im trying to cut down all the rubbish in my spares box!!I buy my boxes from my local GW as the guys there are cool, and go out of thier way to bulid a good atmosphere!!!!

the buzz
08-04-2007, 22:26
sanctusmortis,

I got your Beaky Helmets & Studded pads

http://wookiehole.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_27&products_id=136

http://wookiehole.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_27&products_id=135

Cheers,

RageWarrior
29-04-2007, 21:44
So I don't get anyone I know at GW in trouble, I've created an anon user ID so I can post this reply to the bitz "debacle".

After several discussions at Bugmans and elswhere, I think I have figured out (as in-been outright told) what is going to happen.

Sometime before the end of the year-I doubt a date has been set yet-GW is going to discontinue their bits service.

Thats right, DISCONTINUE THE BITZ SERVICE.

No more purchasing seperate weapons or shoulder pads or anything else. Everything they sell will be in what they call "finished goods" form. Apparently selling seperate bits is too expensive and time-consuming, regardless of what customers want.

They probably don't want other online retailers (like Battlewagon) selling bitz, since this would now affect GW's sales. Why buy a blister with the one bit you want, when you can buy it seperately.

So that one .75p bit you want to buy will not be a LOT more expensive.

Which may be the reason for the change, to generate more sales.

There have probably been a few rumblings and rumours, since something like this is hard to keep silent about, so can anyone add any information or clarification to this?

TS

Bookwrak
30-04-2007, 04:36
Obviously a troll. Don't you have anything better to do?

Mikhaila
30-04-2007, 04:47
I.

Also, a quick aside: I should never have to call them up and say "Yeah you gave me a weird cast of this power fist, can you redo it?" 1.) They are going to make me pay massive shipping fees again. 2.) Odds are "All sales are final, all products are provided 'as is'" will apply. And 3.) Assuming they don't hinge on 1 and 2, they will almost more than likely be like, "Sure, just pay to ship it back to us in the UK so we can make sure it's cocked, and we'll gladly replace it. Then there's of course option 4.) All of the above.

Heh, you are so wrong. Customer service for bad parts is where GW really shines.

If you get a bad part, missing part, miscast part, just call them up. They ship you out the replacement, no shipping cost to you. The only time I've seen them ask for something back is when it's a very expensive set, like 200.00 army with one bad piece.

And for independent retailers, it gets even better. You buy a kit from my shop, and get a bad model? No problem, I rip open another box, hand you the replacement. GW sends me the whole box so that I don't lose money. The remaining models go into my bitz box for store armies, or to give away for free at painting classes.

If you get something bad in a GW kit, don't hesitate to give them a call, or bring it back to the store you bought it from.