PDA

View Full Version : tancrede's bretonnian log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tancrede
26-03-2007, 10:34
hello everybody,
i'm back to my first love, the brave knights of bretonnia... i hope to finish my army for the nemesis crown campaign... but i still have tons of work to do (all minis are still wip...)

so, keep me working !!

my sorceress, lady Helene de Boisvert
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7912/sorciresj7.jpg

the Knights of Boisvert (knight of the realms)
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3594/royaume1lk1.jpg

the brave men at arms of the duke
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/599/armeszm3.jpg

sir Jehan de Sombrebois
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/148/chevalierpiedrr5.jpg

Melchiah
26-03-2007, 10:37
WOOO very nice.:D

tancrede
26-03-2007, 10:40
the questing knights
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3856/chevaliersquteef7.jpg

and their banner:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3037/bannirequtevm1.jpg

and my first grail pilgrim
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5348/plerin1wiplo6.jpg

and on my painting desk, i still have more minis :

- the duke Tancrede de Boisvert on horse (waiting to have a converted royal pegasus)
- 9 errant knights
- 3 pegasus knights
- bowmens
- more men at arms
- trebuchet

Reflex
26-03-2007, 11:24
:O

wow...

very well done...

i cant wait to see your treb...

congrats on the good job...

mousekiller
26-03-2007, 11:49
I opened the thread thinking I would find standard block painting on these brets, and low and behold I found a masterpiece. Really well done on these, the attention to detail is amazing, and the color choices are spot on. Bret's have always intimidated me, because in order to get this standard you really have to paint them one at a time.

Great work, and I will definitely be keeping my eye on this one (how long do you have before the NC campaign starts?)

tancrede
26-03-2007, 12:14
thanks for the comments, guys.
for the treb, you must wait a little (it was a nightmare to build), but i think i will start to paint the crew in the coming days.

@mousekiller:

because in order to get this standard you really have to paint them one at a time.
yes, i paint the knights one at a time, but i make a little exception on the questing knights by painting all the skins, metallic and gold at the same time.
but my peasantry is painted by little groups of 5 or 6 minis (the pilgrin is just a test mini).

the campaign must start this summer. so i hope i will finish at time... (before that, don't expect some progress on my imperial guard...)

The boyz
26-03-2007, 12:18
Wow Tancrede, those Bretonnians are looking absolutely amazing. Fantastic paint job all round. I love the shields on the men at arms. Nice work on the various bases for your army too.

The yellow on Sir Jehan de sombrebois jacket, looks awesome, very nice and smooth.

Look forward to some more updates.

asmodai_dark86
26-03-2007, 12:23
Exquisite.

Thats the only word I can use to describe them. To think someones paying me to paint bretonnians that arent half this good. To say I'm ashamed would be an understatement

armos
26-03-2007, 12:54
gorgeous stuff.. i especially like the deep shading... give's them a very moody look while retaining the bright colours, and the heraldry and shield designs are superb, especially the sorceress. The bases are really nice too... excellent stuff :)

Suicide Messiah
26-03-2007, 13:17
Really great stuff. Ill keep an eye on this.

75hastings69
26-03-2007, 13:32
They look fantastic, your knights of the realm unit is just superb!!!

Arhalien
26-03-2007, 13:46
Excellent painting; I'll definitely be following this! :D

The Dark One
26-03-2007, 13:50
:eek: they are amazing, i will have to keep an eye on this

TheWarSmith
26-03-2007, 16:36
wow!!! just.....wow!!!

You even painted a bloody horseshoe that looks real. This army is amazing. The shield work is particularly impressive.

wow!!

warning::overgeneralized ignorant stereotype:: "Oh, well, he's French. Of course he can paint".

Hywel
26-03-2007, 17:58
It's one of those armies that is so impressive it defies constructive praise or critcism. All that is left is to join the jaw-dropped masses and congratulate you on a job well done.

The shields on that man-at-arms unit are simply stunning.

Lord Gordonis
26-03-2007, 19:31
Very nice indeed! I am also starting a Brettonian army as well, after I finished the Dark Angels that I am painting at the mo, subscribe to thread, as I want to know are they hard to paint? As my bret army willbe going to the next warhammer gt and this is the new army that I am doing for the summer campaign.

LG

tancrede
26-03-2007, 19:57
brrrrr !!!!! i feel many eyes watching my back !! :eek:
hihihi! :D

thanks for the comments, guys. this army is my masterpiece and i'm vey proud of it. i've been working on it for time to time since 2 years, and i had one some years ago (but sell it to a friend).

@reflex:
it's your fault ! when i come back at home this evening, i start to paint the treb crew, and this minis are really awesome !!!! i will post pics as soon as possible, certainly this week-end.

@lord gordonis:
the first thing you must think is what kind of bret army you want : crusaders (with the same heraldry on all your army), from one barony (same heraldry on all the peasantry, but free for the knights), from many different countries... or use historic heraldry (i know a man who paint his army using corsica history, and another using english heraldry)
and think of some kind of history for your lord, and for each of your heroes : is your paladin the son of your duke? and the sorceress? ... if you answer all this questions, your work will be easier when time for army building comes.

a bit of history:
for my own, i've decided to build the army of my warhammer rpg character, a grail knight named "tancrede soufflardent de boisvert" (wich seems to mean "tancrede burningbreath of greenwood": burningbreath his a nickname given by his brethren, and greenwood was the name of his wife's clan).
as his long quest lead him to the sands of araby, the mounted sergents are arabic light cavalry (converted al muktar's desert dogs), and his wife is an elf princess (i still have to convert this mini, based on a wood elf enchantress).
the heraldry displayed on the men-at-arms is part of the heraldry of my character (especially the dragon, cause i killed one during my quest).

this kind of background will give some depth to your army, making it unique.
then, all is a matter of technic and speed.... and i've a little bit of the 2

Lord Gordonis
28-03-2007, 10:55
@lord gordonis:
the first thing you must think is what kind of bret army you want : crusaders (with the same heraldry on all your army), from one barony (same heraldry on all the peasantry, but free for the knights), from many different countries... or use historic heraldry (i know a man who paint his army using corsica history, and another using english heraldry)
and think of some kind of history for your lord, and for each of your heroes : is your paladin the son of your duke? and the sorceress? ... if you answer all this questions, your work will be easier when time for army building comes.

a bit of history:
for my own, i've decided to build the army of my warhammer rpg character, a grail knight named "tancrede soufflardent de boisvert" (wich seems to mean "tancrede burningbreath of greenwood": burningbreath his a nickname given by his brethren, and greenwood was the name of his wife's clan).
as his long quest lead him to the sands of araby, the mounted sergents are arabic light cavalry (converted al muktar's desert dogs), and his wife is an elf princess (i still have to convert this mini, based on a wood elf enchantress).
the heraldry displayed on the men-at-arms is part of the heraldry of my character (especially the dragon, cause i killed one during my quest).

this kind of background will give some depth to your army, making it unique.
then, all is a matter of technic and speed.... and i've a little bit of the 2

Oh rite yeah, thanks, do you think I should pick up the wfrp Knights of the Grail? To get some ideas for the backgreound of my army?Knights of the Grail (http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?template=WH&content=wfrp-knights-grail)

Cheers!

tancrede
28-03-2007, 12:13
first treb crewman finished (i still need to do the basing, but i will do all at the same time).
i will post pics as soon as possible (certainly next week, because of the bad light)

@lord gordonis :
you should buy it if you play whfrp (and i must buy it too). it could help, but it's not an obligation... but you will certainly find a large amount of background to create your own army (names, places, legends,...).

all that i said is think at different things before you start to buy your minis (as general theme, kind of army, favorite minis,...).

Paulus
28-03-2007, 13:48
Tancrede this is easily the best army I've ever seen painted to this level of detail - SUPERB!!

rev
28-03-2007, 22:43
these are so good man, I really like the horse surcoats.

I've been thinking bout brets for a while and i'm going to have to go for it looking at your work.

I think you've handle the large flat surfaces really well.

rev

sigur
28-03-2007, 23:59
*applauds*

Those miniatures are the evidence that you just can't hate Bretonnians, no matter their rules are or what people do with said rules. It's impossible not to like things that can look so pretty!

Your freehands look fantastic. For some reason I liked the Men-at-Arms best; they are just so very well done with those shields. I also like the motivation behind your army.

People like you are the reason for the stereotype of French being great miniature painters; shame on you!;) Be sure to have another pair of eyes eagery watching your work.

tancrede
29-03-2007, 08:08
just a little update. sorry for the blurry pic, i wasn't very awake this morning (and the lighting was very bad).
i will post new (and better) pics after this week-end

so here are my first treb crewmens:
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/6667/servantstrbuchet1eu2.jpg

@everybody:
thanks for the comments. in facts, i think brets minis are among the best minis ever sculpted by gw... and i can test new technics on them, as for exemple the skin color on the crewmens.

lilljonas
29-03-2007, 09:01
The crewmen looks excellent, just like all the miniatures posted this far! Incredible work, indeed.

Paulus
29-03-2007, 09:50
The skin colour on these 2 crew men looks great, I especially like how you have add slightl colouration to the grey haired crew man's nose.

Jedi152
29-03-2007, 10:00
Oh rite yeah, thanks, do you think I should pick up the wfrp Knights of the Grail? To get some ideas for the backgreound of my army?Knights of the Grail (http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?template=WH&content=wfrp-knights-grail)
It depends on how much you love the background. I brought it because the background is more important than the game to me, and i love it. It has detailed info on all the duchies of Bretonnia, and is excellent for making up army background. It's just up to you if that's worth £18.

@Tancrede: Superb! That skin is gorgeous, may i ask what colours you used?

tancrede
29-03-2007, 10:34
@jedi152:

for the skin of the crewmens, i use a new recipe :

- gw black undercoat
- gw scorched brown (easier to cover than black...)
- base : 50% gw scorched brown / 50% prince august matt flesh
- first highlights : base + matt flesh => pure matt flesh
- second highlights : matt flesh + white => 25 / 75 mix

then, just a few layers of watered gw scab red (nose, ears, lips, cheeks,...) and, a little touch of gw liche purple under the eyes. it's necessary to use very thin and watered coats. use as many as necessary to have the result you want (i didn't want too alcoholic crewmens, for exemple).

McMullet
29-03-2007, 12:31
What a beautiful army. It would be a real pleasure to get pwned by such lovely miniatures. :D

The freehand is fantastic and the colours/blending are so smooth. The only thing I can see to criticise are your pictures, which could use some better lighting and a bit of processing, but that would just mean that I'd be able to see the minis better and thus become even more jealous... :cries:

mousekiller
29-03-2007, 14:21
Those are some great additions, that skin color looks very natural. I really like your natural style of painting, and all the great little additions that you have added.

armos
29-03-2007, 17:13
fantastic work.. the skin-tone is gorgeous, might have to steal that technique. I love the brettonian models cos of the little details like the rabbit hanging from the guys belt, the range is full of stuff like that and you've picked out all those details really nicely on the crew as well as on the men at arms and questing knights.

the rust on the pick-axe is really nice too... how did you do that?

tancrede
30-03-2007, 12:22
you want me to give all my secrets ? :D
ok. it's very simple.

first, you must paint the metal (one of my secret recipe ;) )
the, it's only a matter of lavish :
- dark flesh (small surface)
- bestial brown
- snakebyte leather (large surface)
- finally : fiery orange (only around the relief like rivets or so)...

if you want, you should take a look here, there are another methods =>

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/456
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/474
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/458

armos
30-03-2007, 15:38
thanks man, I'll give it a go :)

The boyz
30-03-2007, 17:44
Nice work on those Trebuchet crewman so far, Tancrede. The skin tone looks awesome. I like the rust effect as well on the pick-axe.

Lord Gordonis
30-03-2007, 21:00
I really like how you did the crewman, tancrede!

speedygogo
31-03-2007, 00:04
Absolutely incredible job painting... I wish I could paint that good.

armos
31-03-2007, 03:37
by the way... because of you i've just had a nice idea for a Brettonian army... now I REALLY want to get my chaos boys done ;)

tancrede
02-04-2007, 08:35
a few work on the treb crew this week end. i will try to end all the treb next week-end...

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4038/servantstrbuchet2ex8.jpg

Arhalien
03-04-2007, 13:26
Truly superb.

ermm....

I can't think of anything to say except to praise you in the fullest terms I can think of... and I can't think at the moment (ruddy Duke of Edinburgh's expedition, 6 hours sleep in 2 days).

Yes, erm...

I think I'll just shut up now.

mousekiller
05-04-2007, 04:28
Great update. Really like the earthen colors that you are using, and I am constantly checking back to see how you are coming along.

Can't wait to see more.

HolySanguinius
07-04-2007, 04:37
Wow. Just wow.

These guys are amazing. It ispires me to get my fantasy army done, and yet at the same time demoralises me that mine aren't this good. :D ;)

DirtJumper
09-04-2007, 22:41
Trueley amazing work on the freehand details. The Men at Arms look perticularily good!

tancrede
10-04-2007, 08:12
more work on the treb this week-end. it's nearly finished, but it took me much longer than expected
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5646/trbuchet1zx5.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4448/trbuchet2rq0.jpg

i've also done few work on the crew (basing and a few painting), but i expect to finish them rapidly
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8378/servantstrbuchet3ui4.jpg

overall view
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1858/trbuchetcompletrb1.jpg

lilljonas
10-04-2007, 08:27
Truly inspiring stuff there! What did you use to base it? MDF?

Marcel
10-04-2007, 08:54
Shwing! nice work. and you base after you basecoat! a brave soul.

tancrede
10-04-2007, 09:28
@lilljonas:
the base of the treb was made with a sheet of plasticard (2mm). then i used pieces of cork (to make stone), sand, static grass and a few photoetched plants.

@marcel:
for the bases, i usually do them apart of the minis, and glue them into place when the mini is finished. i didn't do the same this time...

Aflo
10-04-2007, 10:18
Exceptional. In fact I would almost feel bad running an army of such beautifully painted models into the ground :)
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

Arhalien
10-04-2007, 10:57
Superb; wonderfully realistic wood and stone effects and with a great base. You sir are excellent :D

The boyz
10-04-2007, 11:51
Fantastic work on that Trebuchet, Tancrede. The wood grain looks very realistic, the base looks nice too.

Lord Gordonis
10-04-2007, 12:28
Very nice work indeed!!!

How did u do the bases for the crew and for the rest of the models because they are very nice indeed?

LG[dice0]

armos
10-04-2007, 13:20
lovely stuff as ever

:)

Roel?
10-04-2007, 14:27
Wow, very good indeed. The wood looks superb and the crew men are really life-like.

mousekiller
10-04-2007, 18:49
Great update tancrede. Not much to say here except great work. I really like the stone and the wood effects, what is your recipe for wood?

Also, great base, but where is the slingshot boy and wheelbarrow? :p

tancrede
10-04-2007, 21:59
thanks for the comments, boys. be assured i will keep this thread alive and post some progress asap.

@lord gordonis :
i gave the different materials just a little bit sooner, but i think i will make a tutorial soon. cork and sand for the base, then you paint (black, codex and frotress grey for stone, brown ink and bleached bone drybrush for earth); finally, gw modelling fock and static grass, and graveyard earth for the base

@mousekiller :
same recipe as always : base graveyard, then drybrush (first 50/50 graveyard/bleached, then khommando khaki). next step is a watered brown ink on all the wood, and small amount of watered catachan green. last step is to add bestial, snakebite and orange around some metallic parts.

and don't be afraid, the boy is coming soon (certainly with a target...) !!

Lord Gordonis
11-04-2007, 12:29
@lord gordonis :
i gave the different materials just a little bit sooner, but i think i will make a tutorial soon. cork and sand for the base, then you paint (black, codex and frotress grey for stone, brown ink and bleached bone drybrush for earth); finally, gw modelling fock and static grass, and graveyard earth for the base

Ah rite didnt see that lol, cheers for the list of things lol, looking forward to see the rest of the army!!!!!

LG out

Saulot
16-04-2007, 03:17
their banner:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3037/bannirequtevm1.jpg

Hi guys! Sorry for my naiveté, but, is this a converted model? Or a straight-from-the-box Questing Knight Standard Bearer?

Thanks!

devolutionary
16-04-2007, 03:40
Standard questing knight, or at least minimally converted.

Nice user name btw, assuming the name is taken from the Antediluvian ;)

Saulot
16-04-2007, 04:00
@devolutionary
Thanks for the reply! And what is this Antediluvian are you talking about? I sense that you speak of lies! I'm keeping an eye, or three, on you...
(hehehe nice to meet another V:tES / V:tM player here :) )

@tancrede
Just plain gorgeous... Your Brets are, are... wow...
I wonder, can you indulge us with a bigger group shot? :D

Light of the Emperor
16-04-2007, 05:28
Amazing work! You're painting style is what I've been trying to achieve for the past 5 years. I love the muted tone of your models...eventhough there are highlights, no color is too extreme.

MF3000
16-04-2007, 06:22
i like the rickety feel of the trebuchet, but it's still got that solid structure to it. with nice gritty crew to boot.

sweet as army

sj

tancrede
16-04-2007, 09:03
@saulot:
as devolutionary said, standard questing knight. no conversion, but i stille have to add the child in the back of the knight.
for group shot, maybe later...

Caligula
17-04-2007, 16:25
Insanely impressive, tancrede. Just...wow. That's the best trebuchet I've ever seen.

Ninners
17-04-2007, 17:20
Really nice work. The wood on the trebuchet looks incredible. All the colours are really smooth.

Keep up the good work

stonefox
29-04-2007, 03:38
Amazing work for rank-and-file troops. Your peasants have as much work on them as some people put on their heroes, haha.

I'm slowly doing my Brets for the summer campaign as well and I was wondering if your Questing Knight standard bearer uses the original bendable pole or if you substituted a paperclip or brass rod instead. You also say that you do the bases separately. Assuming you are going to rebase the knights, do you just superglue them to their temporary bases and remove them later? I'm curious as to how you did it with the damsel.

tancrede
29-04-2007, 10:22
all my minis are just "out of the box", with no conversions on them (enough work with painting). so the questing knight standart bearer as no conversion on it.

i glue the horse on his base, paint all the mini and the rider separatly
then i carefully cut the horse from the base, and i glue it on its new base with a small metal rod, in order to reinforce it. finally, i glue the rider on his back and finish to paint some details.

that's the way i use on the damsel (actually not glued on the horseback, causei still have details to paint on the horse and the damsel before).

Arryn
01-05-2007, 14:26
mmmmmMMMMMOOORRREEE!!!

tancrede
01-05-2007, 15:09
currently, i'm working on the men at arms and 4 bowmen. i will post pics as soon as possible, but it's raining today and the light is very bad...

sigur
01-05-2007, 17:24
Great stuff, you're posting here tancrede. I've got a question though; On the WIP pictures, the trebuchet crew was placed on their bases. Did you take them off the bases to add the corc pieces or were you using different bases for the finished miniatures?

tancrede
01-05-2007, 18:16
generally, i use the same base, but sometimes i use different bases and re-use the old ones on another minis.
the only difficult thing is to cut or unbase the mini without destroying paint (very difficult when you have 2 left hands ! :D )

greymouser
03-05-2007, 02:07
These look great. Really, really good. I especially like the color choices you have made. It makes them nice and realistic, but still crisp and clean.

Would you mind telling the recipie you used for you yellow on the knights? It looks great.

Once again, well done. You have inspired me to get back to painting my brets.

tancrede
03-05-2007, 08:40
last work done:

the first bowmen, still wip.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5095/archers3ve5.jpg

beginning of my general, "duke tancrede soufflardent de boisvert" :
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7167/duc1xa4.jpg

Murag
03-05-2007, 09:03
I am no big fan of Bretonnians, but you sure make them look their best.

Very nice painting so far and best of luck with finishing even more.

rasputin the 3rd
03-05-2007, 10:24
Fantastic army, I really envy anyone who can paint brettonians so well. Love that first pic of luccrezia I have that model but i'm using it as a vampire.

Vattendroppe
03-05-2007, 15:52
*Subrcribed*

This was certainly no standard batching quality. This army will summon up a good lot of painting points in tourneys!

Arhalien
03-05-2007, 17:34
Superb!

The archers are excellent and the gold/bronze on the duke is fantastic!

I';m going to run out of adjectives soon! :)

Luthien
03-05-2007, 18:03
bloody hell :eek: i love 'em

tancrede
03-05-2007, 18:26
thanks for the comments, guys!

his army will summon up a good lot of painting points in tourneys!
i hope so :D

the gold/bronze on the duke is fantastic!
thanks ! it's supposed to be a blessed armor (a gift of the lady of the lake for my rpg character)

i will test this army in the next days, so i wil know if it's playable or if i must change something before the summer campaign

Math Mathonwy
06-05-2007, 10:42
Those are some astounding Bretonnians. Awesome stuff is all I can say. You could use another lamp while photographing, as the pics are a bit on the dark side.

You're my inspiration for my own Brets. Need to get my blog off the ground one of these days, I suppose.

tancrede
06-05-2007, 17:39
You could use another lamp while photographing, as the pics are a bit on the dark side.

no lamp for the pics : only natural light. but in the early morning (before i go to work), the light is a bit dark and grey.

for the moment, the playtest are good : using 2 scenarios of the summer campaign (nemesis crown), i get a draw against a tzeench army (with my only level 1 damsel), and a massacre (victory for me) against a dwarf (i was the defender).
next test on the next week end. but for the moment, i think i will use the army with no changes for the campaign.

a friend of mine gave me the warhammer rpg book on bretonnia. many background, many ideas for the rpg, but for warhammer battle too. i recommend it for all bretonnian players !

mousekiller
06-05-2007, 21:04
Coming along nicely mate, I especially like the bloke with the orangish mustache...

tancrede
07-05-2007, 09:19
i like it too : it's a clone of a friend of mine ! :D

schoolcormorant
07-05-2007, 12:17
wow this stuff is awesome, those bowmen are excellent :)

any chance of a quick rundown on the flesh?

SC

tancrede
16-07-2007, 08:12
a few updates, just to prove that this thread is sill alive :

great banner's horse :
http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/4341/grandebannire1vr2.jpg

lancers regiment (v5 minis, with minor conversions with v7 bitz) :
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/5900/rgimentlanciers1fc6.jpg

first lancers, almost finished. i still have some details to do on them (such as dragons on the shield, or metallic details for exemple), but i like the way theu're coming along :
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6979/lanciers1ki0.jpg

pegasus knights (early wip)
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/172/pgases1fp4.jpg

MF3000
16-07-2007, 08:22
HOLY SHIZZLE those are some nice Brets!

sj

75hastings69
16-07-2007, 09:20
These are possibly the best painted Brets I have ever seen. First class work Tancrede, I will be looking forward to more updates.

armos
16-07-2007, 11:47
Horay! I was really hoping this thread was still running!

1st rate stuff Tancrede :)

Ps the designs on the pegasus knights' shields are particularly nice.. who'dve thought your free-hand could actualy get better!!! :eek:

Paulus
16-07-2007, 19:27
Excellent as usual Tancrede, glad to see your still working on these.

Harry
16-07-2007, 20:42
Wonderful, wonderful, painting.
Some of the painting of the peasants faces is unbelievable.

Warlord Wyquix
17-07-2007, 09:05
Almost makes me want to start painting Brets this does. How do you do the stubble on the men @ arms?? Its great!

Cheers
W.W.

mrtn
17-07-2007, 09:22
Very nice work!

tancrede
17-07-2007, 15:02
stubble

?????
sorry, not in my vocabulary (i'm french !!! :D)

thanks for the comments, everybody. it helps finding motivation to finish this army !

Jedi152
17-07-2007, 15:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubble - short facial hair.

Love the army, especially the Repanse de Lyonesse horse. I might look into getting that for my general.

tancrede
17-07-2007, 19:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubble - short facial hair.
ok !:D

a very simple method is to use a mix of diluted grey (i think gw shadow grey gives the best result, but codex grey can be used too) and prince august matt medium. just lay some thin layers at the right place on the face until you obtain the right color (1, 2, 3 or more days of unshaved beards) and voila !
am i clear ? or not ? (i'm a bit tired after a day at work...)

Love the army, especially the Repanse de Lyonesse horse. I might look into getting that for my general.
i love it too, but not the mini of jeanne (or "repanse", in the english version). so i decided to use it for my banner.
for the general, i have other ideas, more in phase with its history.

but i have other old minis in my bitz-box, and i will use them in mix with some of the new ones, just to add more personnality to the army.

odmiller
18-07-2007, 09:14
wow, these are amazing. I haven't seen this thread for a while, but the work is still just wonderful.

Mr.chair
31-07-2007, 19:26
Your painting is stunning. It's certainly worht the waiting to see what new creation you've come up with each time you post an update. My only criticism (a small one) is that I noticed you did a head swap on one of those unpainted lancers and replaced his head with the chubby kids face from the knights errant sprue. I just hate that darned head! I'm sure you'll probably manage to make it look more than bearable though. keep it up.

heldane
06-08-2007, 21:32
Looking great so far.

Any chance on a paint mix for the golden armour on your lord?

Cheers

Dan

Luthien
15-08-2007, 21:37
Stunning, simply stunning the banner bearer's horse is just magnificent, kudos :D

CD113
30-08-2007, 14:26
inspiring very inspiringill shall now look once again at older edition stuff

tancrede
30-08-2007, 20:59
thanks for the comments, guys.
all the bretonnian mini range is amazing, not only old stuff...

@heldane :
recipe for the gold was given some times ago, but maybe i will post a tutorial when i begin to paint the standart bearer (gold armour only for grail knights).

but don't expect any update for the coming days, because i have to finish an imperial fist army for 40k and send it to my customer...

CD113
31-08-2007, 04:33
No the adaptation of the older men at arms figures

The boyz
31-08-2007, 10:16
Wow Tancrede, they have to be some of the best painted men at arms, I have ever seen. I love the flesh tone and the freehand on the shields looks fantastic.

MF3000
31-08-2007, 10:30
Man... whenever I look at your Bretonnians... *heart breaks*

They're so goooooooooooood

sj

PMTN
31-08-2007, 16:08
There is so much jealousy bubbling up right now I may end up joining slannesh.

Great work, I just had to comment so I could keep track of your work.

Harry
01-09-2007, 10:12
LOL I come here regularly just to remind myself what can be achieved.
Seeing stuff like this just makes me want to paint more and work harder to improve my skills.
You bretonnians are greaat motivation for us struggeling painters.

Widukind
03-10-2007, 17:45
Amazing Bretonnians. At the moment I'm only playing 40k, but I recently bought the WHFB rulebook and am planning to start a Bretonnian army soon. I'll definitely use this thread as a painting guide. Great job!

SevenSins
03-10-2007, 18:58
truly great painting! So good in fact that I'll never even consider starting a bret army! Thanks! Saved me quite a bit of cash there!

Khorghan
03-10-2007, 23:10
this is definatly one of the if not best painted Bretonian army ive ever seen!!

tancrede
05-10-2007, 17:40
thanks for the comments, guys !
brets are definitely my favorite army (and the best gw minis ever !) and i really like to play them.
lack of update for the moment due to lot of commission work and lack of time, but i hope to post new stuff soon...

i hope ! :D

Zodiac
05-10-2007, 23:46
Are we going to see those doppelsoldners anytime soon Tancrede?
The ones from Hell Dorado? I would really like to see someone with your talent paint such cool miniatures..

tancrede
08-10-2007, 06:56
i bought them last week. for the moment, they're always in their box, but i will try to begin them soon. i bought don quichotte too, and all i can say is that those minis are really stunning !!

Roel?
08-10-2007, 16:22
Your work is truly amazing. Wish I could find the will to paint my own bretonnians. They're still just sprayed black after more then a year. :(

tancrede
08-10-2007, 16:54
my army is mostly unpainted, or just sprayed in black. mainly because i spend lot of time painting for side projects or for commission work.
but when you have the motivation and the time, it's really a pleasure to paint a bret army !

Zodiac
12-10-2007, 23:28
: THREADOMANCY :
( ha lol, )
i bought them last week.

Hey could you give me a Size comparison of a doppelsoldner with a bret men at arms? Or even better, an empire greatsword? I would like to use it as a captain with meteoric iron and a great weapon. Thanks a bunch!

Asuril
13-10-2007, 05:41
Beautiful painting, tancrede. I'm very impressed!

tancrede
08-11-2007, 09:08
this thread is still alive !!!!
i have some good news for you :

knight of the realm (nearly finished)
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9093/chevalierduroyaumehi1.jpg

the army banner, still wip
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1796/grandebannire2dv8.jpg

and, last but not least, a mini made for a painting contest in the gw stores
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/4874/chevalierconcours1np3.jpg

Novogord_Vivendi
08-11-2007, 09:29
Lovely work, really lovely. Where did you get those spearmen from?

devolutionary
08-11-2007, 10:36
They're the pre-plastic Bretonnian Men-at-Arms models.

Very nice work on the heraldry so far, it's all so exquisitely pulled off. Heaps better than my half-assed monotone colourings :D

tancrede
09-11-2007, 06:43
thanks for comments, guys !
as said by devolutionary, the spearmens comes from the old warhammer edition (french v5), with some bitz from the men-at-arms box.

i can add another regiment of old men-at-arms form the same era (20 hallebardiers) and i'm trying to assemble a metal knights of the realm unit and a old grail knights unit (both with the new plastic horses). i wil also certainluy add to them some minis from the gamezone miniatures range...

but for the moment, my only concern on this army is to finish my 1500 pts army to field them in some battles. :D

sigur
09-11-2007, 19:26
Amazing, as always. This pseudo-three-dimensional shading-highlighting on square and stripe patterns is something I have yet to try.

Another thing I would like to point out is that the face of the miniature for the GW store competition is awesome. I wonder how or where you learned to paint these incredible faces.

The freehands are also great of course. Sheesh, it's boring to see and comment all this perfection in your thread all the time.;)

Cycorax
11-11-2007, 11:29
Fantastic work Tancrede, particularly like the men at arms, really nice heraldry.

Love the face on the contest mini! Really captured the expression :D!

Math Mathonwy
12-11-2007, 08:12
This log is officially my favouritest log in all of Warseer. That KotoR is absolutely incredible. I love it! The striped lance is simply superb. Keep up the awesome work, tancrede.

tancrede
12-11-2007, 10:33
thanks for the comments, guys !
expect some updates soon, 'cause i've finished 2 more kotr this week-end. only 1 left, and the regiment will be finished.

75hastings69
12-11-2007, 11:14
Wonderful I look forward to seeing that Tancrede.

AbyssRaven
12-11-2007, 12:01
Truly amazing.
Your free hand is amazing and the shading is exquisite.

I really cant wait to see more!

Lordi
24-11-2007, 16:37
Any updates on this amazing army? I need some more inspiration, you made me bought a Bret battalion:angel:

tancrede
24-11-2007, 19:18
no update for the moment for a very good reason : i'm painting only 1 bret knight and it takes me lot of time, because it's for a national painting contest.
expect some pics soon to show you the progress (timeline : next friday)

and the rest of my painting time is currently spent on my guard army (and especially my baneblade)

you made me bought a Bret battalion
happy to have another bret battle brother here ! ;)

Mr.chair
26-11-2007, 21:15
Can't wait to see the results of your labor. I hope you take hom the prize. Your stuff is always easy on the eyes!

Asuril
28-11-2007, 00:13
The base for the painting contest mini is fabulous! How did you go about making it? It looks very impressive!

grhino
28-11-2007, 01:11
Awesome army... all I have to say

tancrede
03-12-2007, 08:57
and here is the result of the painting contest :

first place, errant knight, by me...:D
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5867/chevalierconcoursfinija7.jpg

sorry for the bad pics, but it was all i could do on saturday evening (bad lights for pics in the store...)
i will take new ones as soon as i can recover my mini (still in the store for pics to show in the french white dwarf).

@Asuril

The base for the painting contest mini is fabulous! How did you go about making it? It looks very impressive!
the bas was made of an old resin chariot base, cut to be 50x50 mm. It was detailed with the road and the celtic cross, but i add more details to it : brass etched plants, stones and skulls from the last gw basing set... and a little frog from the men-at-arms box ! :D

devolutionary
03-12-2007, 09:03
Well, that's thoroughly deserving. I really do love your painting, it shows the skill and technique of recent styles but you keep your shading and highlighting realistic and your colour choices are superb.

Arhalien
03-12-2007, 09:56
Stunning Tancrede; the weathering in particular is superb :D

Mr.chair
04-12-2007, 19:43
Looks very nice, but I'd still like to see some clearer photos when you get the mini back home.

Lordi
05-12-2007, 06:33
Awesome, what else did you win except that 'paper'?

tancrede
05-12-2007, 08:54
it's not only a "paper", but a kind of wooden plate.
there will perhaps be some pics of the model in the french white dwarf.

i didn't make this contest to win something, but just to and try to improve my painting skills. there were other good painters, and it was kind to discuss about some technics and exchange some tips.
but the trophy looks good in my home ! :D

now, i'm thinking at what i can bring to the french games day 2008...
maybe some brets, knights or grail reliquary...

Lordi
08-12-2007, 16:05
Sounds nice.

NOW UPDATE!:D

tancrede
08-12-2007, 21:37
update soon !
first grail pilgrim for the french gd 08 is nearly done, and the first pegasus knight for my army is now finished (only base left).

i hope i can take good pics tomorrow, but it's a rainy week-end...

tancrede
10-12-2007, 07:55
as promised, updates !!

first pegasus knight, nearly done. i must finish the base this week :
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/322/pgase1yp7.jpg

first grail pilgrim, wip for the french games day 2008. i must buy me the grail reliquary, and hope to finish it in time ! ;) :
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3359/plerin1rk0.jpg

Inquisitor Konig
10-12-2007, 08:29
You have an excelent army there! Those fat blokes always make me giggle. :)

odmiller
10-12-2007, 11:27
These are really nice,as always. I've been stuck in the 40k mode, so I haven't seen your log in a while, but it's stunning as always.

75hastings69
10-12-2007, 11:51
I really love all your work Tancrede.... but.... (how did you know that was coming!?) in the fluff Pegasi are described as being white, I always have a problem when they are painted to not match in with the background.

As always though mate your painting is faultless, the sword on the pilgrim is particularly good, and the blending on the skin is exceptional. All the best of luck for GD France.

Steve

tancrede
10-12-2007, 12:58
for me, only a royal pegasus is white. the others are of different colors (mainly brown, but they can be grey too). it' s a good way to make a difference between a "standard" pegasus and a "royal" one...

and if you speak of background and fluff, the bretonnian heraldry has no green or purple, but this colors look really good on knights ! :D

75hastings69
10-12-2007, 13:56
Fair enough, just a personal thing I guess, even with my minor niggle aside your work is as usual almost damn near perfect! I too think the purple looks good on the heraldry, not so sure on the green though. Anyway I look forward to seeing the rest of your unit as you complete it.

Crazy Ivan
10-12-2007, 16:12
Really nice Bretonnians, Tancrede, that award seems well deserved! The skin on your minis is particularly amazing! I like the rust effect too.

armos
13-12-2007, 19:13
Thought it's been too long since I commented on this thread...

lovely stuff as ever, the knight Errant is gorgeous and deserves the first place prize I'm sure. I particularly like the way you've made him look weatherbeaten and worn without losing the bright colours

The grail pilgrim is very nice too, looking forward to seeing how these guys turn out en-mass especially next to the brighter knight models.

Pegasus good too, your mwork is actually improving which is staggering when you look at how good your early models are in the first place... fantastic work

Anardakil
13-12-2007, 21:48
That Errant Knight is very good. A well deserved win :)

tancrede
13-12-2007, 21:53
thanks for the comments.
for the grail pilgrim, i will certainly change some things, and especially the pink for the same old red as the errant knight... it looks really too pink !!:D
and i think i should highlight a bit more the brown...

no update for my bret army for the moment, due to work and my private life...
and this evening, i have painted an high elf mini for my local gw store instead of painting my second pegasus knight !! :angel:

Overt_Spy
14-12-2007, 06:25
and this evening, i have painted an high elf mini for my local gw store instead of painting my second pegasus knight !! :angel:

Well, at least it was for a noble cause. :D

Fantastic work!! I am really impressed with everything you've done! The Errant Knight in particular is fantastic, more so than just being wonderfully painted, it's full of character, and fits the fluff of errant knights perfectly, a brash knight riding with out the protection of his helmet, as he aggressively rides toward glory or death. Great great work!!

Talis
14-12-2007, 08:37
Any chance we might glimpse of the High Elf?

tancrede
14-12-2007, 14:30
Thanks for comments...
i just try to get my bret minis less shiny, and give them a darker look to fit with the old world...

next stage will be to field a complete unit of grail pilgrims, with lots of conversions, and full of personnality...

for the HE mini, i have to take some pics in the store on day...
maybe tomorrow, if my wife doesn't kill me by bringning me in some stores on a saturday evening just before christmas !!! :D

Mr.chair
14-12-2007, 18:13
Looks great as always. Your peasant faces are some of the best faces I've seen. I aspire to get such realistic looking flesh!

the vicar
27-12-2007, 10:35
Excellent work.

mousekiller
27-12-2007, 16:50
As always, spectacular stuff mate. And I have to agree, those faces that you do are some of the best that I have seen. Also, congrats on getting shown in the French WD, that is indeed an honour that you are well deserving of.

Congrats again. Now, when is the next update?

tancrede
27-12-2007, 18:53
thanks for the comments, guys !!
for the pics in the wd, i don't know when i can see them, 'cause i think the manager of the gw store didn't take picsof the wining minis...

and for the next update, i don't know : i have tons of commission work to do, so expect updates in my "other stuff" log : nearly 35 kislevites (some of them for me : an allied 500 pts force for my bret army), imperial fists and deathwing terminators.

and i also have to do some work in my new home ! :D

ThePete
28-12-2007, 11:40
Hey tancrede,
first of all awesome painting man keep up the good work,

aside from an incredible paint job I just got one question for ya, concerning the corks you use back on like... page 6??

I see the basic point of using them, but what my question is how do you fasten the wire into the model?? I see you put a wire from the cork into the model but do you drill a hole and then glue the wire in?...or do you drill a hole and then use no glue and just let the model kinda hang on the wire??

Ive been wanting a nice way to hold my models while I paint for some time now...and I really like your idea :D.

Thanks!

Jezzter
28-12-2007, 12:04
This army is becoming more than an army.... it is a work of art. The lighted box with a cross on the back of the knight is very well done and the overall of that figure is superb!!

tancrede
28-12-2007, 14:21
@ThePete :

how do you fasten the wire into the model??
all was drilled and glued.
when finished, i cut the wire, drill a hole in the horse's back and glue them together.

Ive been wanting a nice way to hold my models
the nicest thing is that you have to empty the bottles of wine before to use the cork !!:D

thanks for the comments.
as said before, expect some updates soon, 'cause i have 6 ungol light cav on the painting desk...

tancrede
07-04-2008, 08:18
Hi everybody !
I'm back with just a little update for my bret' army. A friend of mine gave me the grail reliquary, and I begun painting it last week...
The pilgrims are reaky awesome, and really nice to paint !

Here is the test model, still wip (sorry for the blurry pic, but the others wer even worse...)
http://images.imagehotel.net/g5h2pr9ty4.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=g5h2pr9ty4.jpg)

Monsterzonk
07-04-2008, 08:52
Amazing! Bretonnians are one of the hardes armies to paint, IMHO, but you pulled it off nicely.

Mr.chair
07-04-2008, 19:39
Can't wait to see more. This guy looks awsome so far.

odmiller
07-04-2008, 20:59
Ohh, Tancrede returns to Bretts. Looking forward to seeing this.

tancrede
08-04-2008, 07:54
Here are some better pics of my Grail Pilgrims faces...
http://images.imagehotel.net/lcks3xlrzk.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=lcks3xlrzk.jpg)http://images.imagehotel.net/oj853ja7ao.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=oj853ja7ao.jpg)http://images.imagehotel.net/acuccxy586.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=acuccxy586.jpg)http://images.imagehotel.net/1y99g62woy.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=1y99g62woy.jpg)

Eyes not done yet.

Reik
08-04-2008, 08:51
You really know how to paint don't you Tancrede?:D I really like your army and those faces are so grim it's the essence of Warhammer world IMHO:D Great great did I already said how much I love your work??:D Well I do. I wish I could paint like that

Saulot
08-04-2008, 09:00
I wish I could paint like that

QFT.

The pustules are amazing! @_@

tancrede
02-05-2008, 07:57
First Grail Pilgrim done, 23 (and the Grail Reliquary) left to go !! :D

http://images.imagehotel.net/yuh5xd89ls.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=yuh5xd89ls.jpg)http://images.imagehotel.net/hvtmsjexwb.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=hvtmsjexwb.jpg)http://images.imagehotel.net/xpbq0gdp2t.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=xpbq0gdp2t.jpg)

sigur
02-05-2008, 08:00
The faces are most impressive as always but say, are those robes on the pilgrim dipped or just heavily washed? Sorry, but I'm getting more and more paranoid about this thing.:p

tancrede
02-05-2008, 08:31
No dip for me. Just an old school work, with highlights and washes ! :D

For the finished pilgrim: scorched brown , highlighted with desert yellow and some catachan green for the shadows.
For the yellowish one, base in tausept ochre, highlighted with bleached bone/white, and lots of washes in snakebite leather/catachan green/scorched brown...

sigur
02-05-2008, 11:10
No dip for me. Just an old school work, with highlights and washes ! :D

Good man. And thanks for the recipe.;)

odmiller
02-05-2008, 17:44
Beautiful as always. Those models are so characterful, I've got to use them at some point in the future for something. Your painting of the faces always captures all the details the sculptors put in so well.

Animerik
02-05-2008, 18:37
Great painting! love the faces it´s very well done and the detail and neatness is top noch! really like you painting style and the gritty feel. I´m looking forward to more :)

Monsterzonk
02-05-2008, 20:46
You're truly blessed by the Lady, tancrede.

mrtn
03-05-2008, 02:45
Looking lovely. :)

Mulrak
03-05-2008, 03:32
Superb painting job and just wonderful! My wife is painting a Bret army atm as well, and she looks at this blog often and just dreams. Shes doing a fantastic job so far for her very first time.

Keep up the great work!

tancrede
03-05-2008, 07:42
I hope to see your wife's army pics soon on warseer, 'cause I'm always happy to see well painted brets...
Thanks for the comments, evrybody.
I hope to post new pics soon.

lorcan
03-05-2008, 08:49
I just love your painting style, keeps me inspired to improve mine.

Regards
Lorcan

tancrede
05-05-2008, 07:52
Work of the week-end : 3 more Grail Pilgrims !

http://images.imagehotel.net/nlhlfy6xe8.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=nlhlfy6xe8.jpg)

Probably the best GW minis ever !

Monsterzonk
05-05-2008, 08:02
Beautiful. Erm... well, if these ugly guys can be beautiful at all, you've done it!

odmiller
05-05-2008, 17:54
Very nice Pilgrims.

Mr.chair
06-05-2008, 01:28
Great looking unit you've made. Your faces are always great, and the cloth on these is especially striking. What colors do you use for that dark red on the shields?

tancrede
06-05-2008, 19:49
My traditionnal red, simple and crisp : base in scorched brown, then successive highlights by adding more and more blood red to the mix.
Last step is a fine line of pure blood red on the upper side.
Then, a fine line of black to separate red and white, and it's done.

Nightsword
06-05-2008, 22:53
You've got some beautiful painting going on here. It's amazing. Very smooth and neat. Must take hours to get anything complete, especially with so much going on. The only criticism i could make was the red of the pilgrims is a little too pink for my liking, but the models are actually fantastic so it doesn't matter. I've read through two or three of your logs today, it's just so indulgent. Very nice.

Gunde
11-05-2008, 23:14
Wow! That's all I have to say: Wow! Among many great skills of yours, my favourite is how you paint skin.

Mr.chair
12-05-2008, 20:08
Sounds like your red technique is pretty similar to mine, yours just looks better :( Thanks for the quick reply! I'll keep chipping away in the hopes that in 20 years I'll be able to achieve similar painting effects to yours!

tancrede
12-05-2008, 20:23
The only method is to practice, and practice even more !! :D

And if you read french, to read some french forums suh as "Creafigs".
You'll find here most of the better french painters, and could learn some of their "secrets" !

tancrede
02-06-2008, 08:18
The beginning of my Green Knight (tons of work still to do) :
http://images.imagehotel.net/uxbnftavtx.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=uxbnftavtx.jpg)

- KotR champion for my 2nd unit (old metal knights on new horses), still wip :
http://images.imagehotel.net/vjr5pno51h.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=vjr5pno51h.jpg)

Mr.chair
03-06-2008, 18:33
Nice choice of colors. The old Knights errant look so much better than the new plastic ones, so you've made the right choice there!

Rossco
04-06-2008, 00:20
You do it with style ! I think the way you deal with heraldry is outstanding ! I Recently bought the lord with lance to paint as a gift, I will certainly be using as many of the hints and tips you have given as I can !, many, many thanks and please keep it coming.

tancrede
05-06-2008, 09:03
Thanks for the comments, guys...
@Mr.chair :
For the errant knights, i'll be using the new ones, 'cause for the moment i don't have the old ones (but maybe soon...)
The old minis I have will become my second unit of 5 Knights of the Realm, and a unit of 3 Grail Knights.

sigur
06-06-2008, 00:54
Great work on that KotR - I really like those little birds. This is the thing about bretonnian knights: you can go real crazy on doing heraldry and all but hitting the right spot between simplicity and detail where it counts seems to be the key.

I'm looking forward to seeing you progress on that Green Knight. It's a lovely sculpt and you surely will do it justice.

tancrede
23-06-2008, 08:06
Just a little update !!

the Green Knight :
http://images.imagehotel.net/oz8pplvmnz.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=oz8pplvmnz.jpg)

Army Banner :
http://images.imagehotel.net/66uvnqxvk0.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=66uvnqxvk0.jpg)

Hope you'll enjoy them !!

Nightsword
23-06-2008, 09:40
I'm going to keep this simple:

*Drops Jaw*

My only criticism is of the gold areas. They look a little rough... *ducks for cover*

Monsterzonk
23-06-2008, 10:11
Great work! But I have to agree with Nightsword: I think the gold rim on the banner doesn't work as well as NMM would. :eek: There, I said it. And I never thought I would, since usually I'm not a fan of NMM, but considering how well you've painted the fleurs-de-lys on the banner, I'm confident in your skills.

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Jimjim
23-06-2008, 13:02
Holy s**t I'm impressed! Your painting is phenomenal!

Layne in Spayne
23-06-2008, 14:01
To hell with you all, I like true metallics on banners, and this a fine example of How That Sort of Thing is Done. That's some nice freehand, guy, good shading, but very consistent work on the repeated images. Not too hard to do that sort of thing once, but a couple dozen just the same is an excellent bit of work. Well done.

The Green Knight's horse is not all it could be, the highlights are a bit rough, and both bases need attention, on the rocks particularly... still, what's on top of the bases... man...

Vattendroppe
24-06-2008, 20:36
My only ciriticism is that the lower left picture is blurry. Otherwise it's orgasmic :O

I'm going to keep this simple:

*Drops Jaw*

My only criticism is of the gold areas. They look a little rough... *ducks for cover*

*Trows hard things at*

Fenix Felder
24-06-2008, 21:28
Wow that green knight looks awesome! , definitely much better than the GW one, but that leafy thing on his head could benefit from a bit more highlighting, it seems a bit flat don’t you think :p ? Excellent work your painting skills inspire us all !!

tancrede
25-06-2008, 07:37
@Nightsword :

I know it, and the main reason is that I was tired of painting this day and I don't do the highlights on the Green Bad Thing of the Wood...:D
Maybe one day...

@Fenix Felder :

that leafy thing on his head could benefit from a bit more highlighting
Same reason, and same excuse as above... :rolleyes:

@Layne in Spayne :

Green Knight's horse is not all it could be, the highlights are a bit rough, and both bases need attention, on the rocks particularly
The pics are a little too bad, because the higlights are more "subtles" in reality.

@Vattendroppe :

My only ciriticism is that the lower left picture is blurry
Never, never, never take pics of your work in the morning, before the second or third coffee !!!:D

Thanks for comments, guys. It keeps me motivated to finish this army !

Putty
25-06-2008, 09:26
your work on the green knight really brings me 1 step closer to getting the model just for collecting sake!

Inquisitor Konig
25-06-2008, 17:18
amazing freehand.

tancrede
01-07-2008, 08:45
Small update. Few painting, but lots of conversions here...

2nd KotR unit, made with old metal knights and some new plastic parts
http://images.imagehotel.net/jfr875atv1.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=jfr875atv1.jpg)

3 mounted squires :
http://images.imagehotel.net/lta15ugse2.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=lta15ugse2.jpg)

Grail pilgrims (some needs greenstuff, and all lacks their shields) :
http://images.imagehotel.net/ospldbuajk.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=ospldbuajk.jpg)

And finally some painting with the beginning of my Grail Reliquary (but the first bearer is not finished yet...) :
http://images.imagehotel.net/acu31zac9h.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=acu31zac9h.jpg)

As always, C&C welcome !

Layne in Spayne
01-07-2008, 11:08
Oh, it's Jules! Hey, Jules...

I have a couple of questions : why the metal knights? This is not a criticism, just wondering. Also, why Yeomen with shields? They lose FastCav, which seems the only reason to take them. Just for modelling reasons, eh?

tancrede
01-07-2008, 19:50
why the metal knights?Why metal knights ? Because I really live them. They reminds me my old bret army (sold ages ago). And it adds a few diversity in my army.

why Yeomen with shields? They lose FastCav
Only if I pay them a light armor. The minis have it, but I never play armored yeomen. Only shields, so they have a 5+ save and stay fast cav.

odmiller
03-07-2008, 04:43
Man, it's been a while since I've been on the fantsy board, but i had to come back and see what was happening with your Brets. They look amazing as ever. Always top notch. I do agree on the shields for the Yeomen, for gaming purposes, seems to negate their real value.

Layne in Spayne
03-07-2008, 05:07
Goes to show what I know. Every FastCav I've ever heard of has it the other way around. Brets are weird.

Mr.chair
04-07-2008, 17:06
The Grail Relique is looking cool. The painted models especially are looking exceptional.

tancrede
18-09-2008, 09:01
Hi everybody ! I'm back with a new camera, so sorry for bad pics, I must learn how to use it ! :D
So just a little update on my bret army, 'cause I'm mainly working on 40k minis for the moment...

http://images.imagehotel.net/iy43tu4vhy.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=iy43tu4vhy.jpg)

http://images.imagehotel.net/lg43616xg6.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=lg43616xg6.jpg)

As always, C&C welcome !

Kronos
18-09-2008, 09:11
Hello tancrede, been lurking through you log for a while now and thought a comment would be good :)

Your painting is ace mate, very controlled and the blending is very good, wish i could paint so smoothly! And skin tones are spot on too.

Great Log:D

Malakai
18-09-2008, 13:59
I'm glad you brought this thread back or else I might have missed it. To say that it's impressive is an understatement! In my opinion the only thing that overshadows your heraldry is your skills at painting flesh and gold. Why are the french painters so good? Your Golden Daemon awards are usually better than other countries. It's not fair I tell you!

Looking forward to more stuff. :D

-Malakai

Mr.chair
06-10-2008, 17:21
Agreed, everything you paint is a treat for the eyes. Can't wait to see those grail pilgrims finished.

tancrede
11-10-2008, 03:36
Thanks for comments, guys. Few stuff was painted during the last weeks due to holidays in Japan. I have a new project starting next (dark elves), but be assured I will continue painting my bret army. I receive for it some new stuff (trading for some gobbos) : a second trebuchet and the old metal pegasus mounted hero...

Isha
12-10-2008, 18:59
Glad to see coming bac some bretonnian goodness! Those shields are amazing! Freehand?

lilljonas
12-10-2008, 20:11
Looking good, love the skin colours and the shield design! But do you really need yet another project? Just kidding, it's always fun to see what you paint up next! :)

tancrede
13-10-2008, 02:07
The dragon comes from the bretonnian men-at-arms transfert sheet, but was repainted. The "queues d'hemine" are freehand.

For the new project, it comes from a discussion with a friend of mine, a formerly GW manager, who wants to find motivation too paint something for him. As he bought some High Elves some times ago, and as I'm fond of the new Dark Elves range, the choice was rapidly made !
But don't expect top painting for them, only a good tabletop quality...

Layne in Spayne
13-10-2008, 09:41
I don't expect you could allow yourself to perform non top painting, but good luck to thee and welcome to the Dark side, of which I'm sure you don't know the power. So, are you painting them for this other guy, or for yourself, as a means of motivating him to paint his High Elves?

BarreBobby
13-10-2008, 10:23
Brilliant brets. Don't think I've seen better. What more is there to say?

JLEH
13-10-2008, 12:37
Wow, man! Those figures are amazing. Just starting a small Bret party myself and I now have something to aim for!

tancrede
13-10-2008, 13:04
@Layne in Spayne :
be assured that I can paint to a "non top level", but the result is good enough in term of quality/speed...
As long as I can remember, I never played the "dark side of the force", but I really like the Dark Elves (and the Drows of the Forgotten Realms)>> I'm reading the Malus Darkblade's books, and I really like !
I will paint for me, and with my friend we certainly will make some group painting in a sort of "call to arms", as displayed in some WD articles. It's a way to bring him back to the painting desk after bringing him back to the battlefield.

Extrac32
18-10-2008, 03:18
How did you paint the blue?

shabbadoo
18-10-2008, 04:47
I love your use of ermine throughout the army. You don't see it very often(probably because it requires that much more effort to do) but it looks great. Really nice looking stuff overall. I look forward to seeing some full unit and full army pics.

anselminus
18-10-2008, 11:15
Nickel as usual ^^

tancrede
23-10-2008, 08:16
As promised before, here are the first minis of my DE army :
http://images.imagehotel.net/gpvswlsnre.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=gpvswlsnre.jpg)

Sorry for the bad pic, I got a new camera recently...

Aurellis
23-10-2008, 09:30
I love the shields on your Mounted Yeoman, they are great! I think you've motivated me to work on my free hand painting :)

Nice Shades as well, I like the highlights on the clothing

jarlragnar
30-10-2008, 00:17
I like to see a Bretonnian army work an ermine pattern into its heraldry. Do you mind telling us how you did it? I have been sittong on the thought for some time, but I've been too afraid to try it.

Mr.chair
19-11-2008, 20:14
The skin looks great. Even with elf flesh your master face painting skills shine through! What colors did you use?

tancrede
20-11-2008, 09:30
For the dark elves, the skin is very simple :
- black undercoat
- base in adeptus battlegrey + elf flesh (Prince August)
- then successive highlights by adding more elf flesh to the mix (but no pure elf flesh).
- final highlight : just add a few bleached bone or skull white to the mix

tancrede
15-01-2009, 08:55
Small update for my Bret's :

knight of the realm (old v5 knight, with some v6/v7 parts) :
http://images.imagehotel.net/pjs2wsdmpb.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=pjs2wsdmpb.jpg)http://images.imagehotel.net/aif293bprn.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=aif293bprn.jpg)

spearmen (v5 bodies, with v6/v7 shields, 10 more to paint) :
http://images.imagehotel.net/xlohe70apf.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=xlohe70apf.jpg)

Lord Azoth
15-01-2009, 08:59
beautiful units..like a lot the ivory, the ochrish white of the units..

good work

Layne in Spayne
15-01-2009, 10:59
Haven't been around for a while. So you like Drow eh? Was painting five of them enough to keep your friend motivated? Anyways they look pretty good, your old familiar smooth and accurate style again. And your Bretonnian heraldry just keeps getting better.

Anardakil
15-01-2009, 11:57
Beautifil! Simply beautiful!

mrtn
15-01-2009, 17:23
They're looking great tancrede.

sigur
15-01-2009, 21:54
Great to see you back at the Bretonnians.

Those Shades look neat. Nice choice of colour on the pants. Makes them look a bit different without getting away from the great purple scheme. One thing though. Maybe it's the picture but I think the golden parts could do with additional highlights.

The bretonnians look awesome as always. And as often I almost like lowly infantry better than the knights. I mean the knight looks great and the heraldy looks perfect but the Men at Arms look so well-rounded and those great faces turn footmen into real characters. I don't think that this would be possible with the current plastics (or any plastic miniatures for that matter). I really like those metal bretonnian men at arms.

Cypher, the Emperor
16-01-2009, 04:38
Way to motivate me to paint my Brets...

I just want to say that I learned how to paint skin by copying you and Lonewolf, and so far its worked out pretty well.

loken555
16-01-2009, 04:48
very nice stuffs you got there just one question' how do you fade the colors on the shield from white to yellow? i can never do it

cheers loken

tancrede
16-01-2009, 05:51
Yellow ? On the last knight ? Or another one ?
Because on the last knight, I didn't paint any yellow part... Only bleached bone mixed with white for highlights or with snakebite leather for the shadows...

Thanks for comments, guys. It keeps me motivated to paint more bret stuff, so expect updates soon.

loken555
17-01-2009, 02:35
on the shields of the infantryman the bleached bone going a yellowy color

tancrede
17-01-2009, 07:28
It's because I use some snakebite leather in the bleached bone.

Darkmaw
17-01-2009, 15:56
I love the way you did the heraldy and i am really impressed and envious of your painting skills!

Keep up the good work!

solvay
18-01-2009, 00:48
wow wow wow.... thats truly amazing painting 10/10

tancrede
19-01-2009, 08:54
Thanks for comments, guys.
Little update with the WE's work : KotR banner and hero with 2 handed sword :

http://images.imagehotel.net/mzjojiib3h.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=mzjojiib3h.jpg)

On the workbench : Kotr champion.

mrtn
22-01-2009, 01:41
They're looking great, love the expression of the hero.

grahknar
22-01-2009, 11:18
Dude that is a fantastic looking army. I know from a disasterous experience a few years back how hard bret's are to paint. Maybe you should apply for a job with the heavy metal team.

Hadriel Caine
22-01-2009, 12:08
I can't say anything that hasn't been said before. these Brettonian's are INCREDIBLE.
I really like the use of the older metal models with the new plastics, its made for a very individual army!

Any chance of us seeing a full army shot? PLEASE! :D

Adam

Mr.chair
12-02-2009, 04:44
Looking great, as always.

Rocko
12-02-2009, 05:33
Wow fantastic!

tcraigen
13-02-2009, 01:49
I love the colours you get for skin tones. I like that your converting your own fanatics and mixing and matching they seem to be working out quite well. Keep up the good work its always fun to read over your thread.

tancrede
09-03-2009, 09:14
Update !!!

First are 2 units of 10 bowmen (mix of old GW and Harlequin minis)
http://images.imagehotel.net/q62ku4mecv.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=q62ku4mecv.jpg)

- Men-at-arms (very old GW minis, 84-87's, with a 96's lancer and command), wearing some heraldry of Brittany. I will use them for a "historical army" for WAB, just as the bowmen.
http://images.imagehotel.net/lax7epgj09.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=lax7epgj09.jpg)

- sorceress on foot :
http://images.imagehotel.net/s7wlit7ihf.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=s7wlit7ihf.jpg)

- knight hero on foot (sorr for the bad pic, i will try to take a better one next time) :
http://images.imagehotel.net/apeaw7583h.jpg (http://www.imagehotel.net/?from=apeaw7583h.jpg)

dancingmonkey
09-03-2009, 10:45
Absolutely stunning,

the warmth of the paint on the shields looks soooo nice. (A weird thing to pick out from such stunning models, but they really caught my eye). Foot knight rocks much also.

fluffy05
09-03-2009, 11:14
Love the knight on foot. Especially the work on his shield.

The retro look of the men at arms and archers is very nice as well. I do hate the way the faces look on the new plastics. Bad teeth etc are not really my thing.

Keep the updates coming!

Happy Painting,

Allan

fluffy05
09-03-2009, 11:29
Any tips on how to paint the shields the way you do?

I would like mine to stand out some more and your do look fantastic!

Happy Gaming,

Allan

armos
09-03-2009, 14:33
Wow! can't believe how long it's been since I looked at this thread... you've really come a long way with the army and I'm loving the wonderful mix of minis. The neutral colours in the men-at arms are really works to bring all the models in the army together and I'm particularly impressed by the deep reds you've produced, especially on the banners. I'm loving the conversions for the Grail pilgrims... looking forward to seeing this regiment complete more then any other I think.
I love the colour scheme on the damsel on foot, the natural, slightly muted tones marks her out in contranst to the other characters and knights and shows her to be distinctly 'other', without looking out of place.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this army finshed pal.. you're producing something really special there :D

Mr.chair
09-03-2009, 21:31
Loving all of it. That damsel is great and your freehand on the shields is some of the most impressive work around.