PDA

View Full Version : Bretonia charge question

Fredrik
28-07-2005, 14:45
I question just arose regarding the Brettonian lance formation and charges.
Firstly i do not play with Bretonia nor have i played against them in their new incarnation.
Let set som symbols here K=Bretonian knight S=Skirmish/Fastcav R=Rank and file trooper/other cav

Think off the following:

(1) KKKKK
KKKK
KKK
K

SSSS
RRRRR

Now if the Knights charge they can charge both enemy units right.
But if charging the rear unit ( the one consisting of R ) some knight will find that enemy troopers of another unit blocks their lines to get into the fight.

(2) KKKKK
KKKK
KKK
KSSSS
RRRRR

How does one solwe this do they get to fight anyway or will the models inbetween take away some of the knights possibility to fight?

I know that in some cases you can charge both but then there is no problem the question is regarding the problematic situation ( when S has a small enough base to get inbetween without getting into base contact ).

My ruling would be the knights that get "obstruced" will not get to attack, since they only get to fight enemys that are directly "below" them.

But if this is the case you can easely safe guard your blocks from the lance since if the try to "charge scare away" the protector unit ( S ) they can not redirect since the rear unit is already chargeble.

Any thoughts on this one, anyone?

Griefbringer
28-07-2005, 14:49
Well, one easy way would be to use the new Bretonnian rules (from their February 2004 released army book) which replace the old triangular lance formation with a neater rectangular formation.

Fredrik
28-07-2005, 14:52
Doh! My bad ;) Like i said i havenīt played with or against them in ages :)

Griefbringer
28-07-2005, 15:41
No problem. And the new rules for the lance formation are a ton cleaner than the triangular formation rules, though it might not look as impressive. It still hits like a locomotive, though!