PDA

View Full Version : Mounted hero in a men-at-arms unit?

Sir_Glonojad
27-03-2007, 19:49
Greetings,

I have not played for quite a long time, and have not really tested the 7th edition thoroughly by myself.

From time to time, I am returning to an idea of supporting my men-at-arms with a hero (gasp!). I used to have a foot knight, and in smaller armies he has risen to be my trademark of sorts ("so You're that Bretonnian with two men-at-arms units and a foot general in a 1500 pt army?" ;) ), but the flexibility of a mounted (or, even pegasus-mounted ;) ) begins to win on me, since the look-out/targeting rules have been extended.

So, the question is - is there a tactical reason to take a foot knight in Bret army anymore? As I understand, even a Empathic Knight can get mounted, so the Ld-spread argument seems not viable...

Thanks in advance!

Selsaral
27-03-2007, 20:07
I am not sure this applies to Brets, but to other armies there is: a mounted character cannot join skirmishers. So if you want your character to be able to move to whichever unit needs him most, and one of those units happens to be skirmishers....

Wood elves particularly have to ponder this one.

Sir_Glonojad
27-03-2007, 21:00
Well, yes, I understand WElvises would be particularly hampered in flexibility then, but I guess my Foot Squires are enough of a toast in HtH anyway (though I do give them a standard and a musician). And bret heroes spread their Leadership to commoners in a radius, they don't have to join units.

Thanks for info, though.

Sanjuro
27-03-2007, 22:16
I'd say there is no tactical reason for him not to be mounted in the new rules. There might be an aesthetical reason to have him on foot though, the symmetry in those men-at-arms units will be terrible when they include a mounted hero, if he is mounted on something with a 25x50mm base.

Sir_Glonojad
28-03-2007, 11:25
It is true - cavalry models don't look very nice inside a 20mm infrantry...

lparigi34
28-03-2007, 18:59
Yup... but adds one WS3, S3 attack and +2As to the rider. Also save part of the unit cost since you can take off one model and still have full R&F... I don't car if it looks ugly... Anyway, Ive never done that anyway, but Im going to start trying it with my Orcs.

Also, tactically, as the mounted character can charge farther taht the unit if he does it on its wn, the thing becomes more interesting...

Sir_Glonojad
28-03-2007, 19:24
Yes, he can be treated as a mobile reserve, he can more quickly switch between different units as the situation changes... I believe I've read some tactics about mtd cadre in an infantry army, though it was an Imperial tactic.

With Orcs the matter is easier - they are on 25mm bases, so the cavalry man should just replace to of them.

BTW, shouldn't incompatible models be placed adjacent to the unit instead of inside it? I believe I've seen such a picture in one of the White Dwarfs...

lilljonas
28-03-2007, 19:48
BTW, shouldn't incompatible models be placed adjacent to the unit instead of inside it? I believe I've seen such a picture in one of the White Dwarfs...

I have no idea. I've seen quite a few diagrams of proposed ways to do it. I'm interested myself, since I'd be better off with mounted leaders in my infantry due to fluffwise reasons. But I am afraid that it will look like absolute crap together with 20x20 bases (orcs are, as mentioned, cool with it though).

Chicago Slim
28-03-2007, 20:11
Waaay back in 5th ed, there was a clear rule indicating that characters on oversided bases attach at the side, without anyone trying to rank up behind them.

Since 6th, I've assumed that characters should replace rank and filers: if they happen to replace two RnF (or even 4 RnF, as happens with my Doombull when he joins my Bestigors), then so be it. Wedge the models in as best you can.

Sir_Glonojad
28-03-2007, 20:24
The best method would perhaps be to attach a model sticking-out to front and side of the unit - that way the internal grid would remain continuous...

... or dust off my pegasus rider ;)

captaincortez
29-03-2007, 04:37
Visit Warhammer-Empire.com. This tactic has been discussed thoroughly and it is a TVI specialty.

Sir_Glonojad
01-04-2007, 10:33
Ahhh yes... The Village Idiot, a person known to me from some Bretonnian forums. I shall review the discussions, though am not sure if I have enough men-at-arms to reproduce the idea in Bretonnia ;).