PDA

View Full Version : Metal Eldar?

nigsylbd
28-03-2007, 14:07
Hi

I know this may be a daft question but is it fluffy to paint Eldar in metal armour? I know the way they are shown is with advanced plasticy (?) type armour but I really like the idea of a completly gold army with different coloured hair and cloth to show different aspects.

Basicly would I be lynched by Eldar fans for this?

Many thanks

Egaeus
28-03-2007, 14:19
Not an "Eldar fan" (not that I have anything against them either), but the typical line is "they're your models, paint them however you like".

EVIL INC
28-03-2007, 14:32
Yes, feel free to paint them however you want. They are your models to do with as you wish. Also, you dont have to follow the paint schemes proscribed for any army. This does not just go with eldar. I have seen everything from hello kitty marines to armies based on our world football teams. So long as you do a nice job of it, it is doable.

hivetyrant333
28-03-2007, 14:59
Go for it. I once saw a metallic TYRANID army of all things (and it didn't look half bad either).

Bregalad
28-03-2007, 15:59
Psychoplastine and wraithbone can be of any colour, even metal ones. So it is not against fluff. Just don't pretend it is metal armour but gold coloured psychoplastine and wraithbone.

Kymar
28-03-2007, 16:45
I'd say its perfectly acceptable. Old 2nd Ed guardians were modeled with a chainmail texture on their legs and it looked sort silly when it was not metallic. Now the current line of Eldar models have a much more plastic/ceramic look to them but nothing says it can't be metallic.

sigur
29-03-2007, 00:34
I haven't ever seen Eldar miniatures that look good in metallics to be honest. Same goes with Tau. I indeed have seen SM look nice with metallic armour but the more alien and advanced it looks, a model with lots of armour will look weird in metallics in my opinion.

Slaaneshi Slave
29-03-2007, 00:37
My Sisters of Battle (nothing like Eldar, I know :p) are painted a very nice Gold colour (Shining Gold with a thin black ink wash) and it looks great.

Wraithbored
29-03-2007, 00:47
Who says Eldar can't look good in metallics! http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Wraithbored/Bansheeingold2.jpg

LirEdinSun
29-03-2007, 00:48
I see no problem, 1/6th of my army is painted in chainmail, dry brushed in brass and it suits my army fluff perfectly.

My army colors are based around elemental magic: earth, air, fire, water, METAL and spirit. most of my guardians and all my War-Walkers are metal colored

a little painting advice, to get rid of the 'clinical' cleaness of the metallic paint, give the whole model a light black ink wash, really picks out the detail and gives a nice weathered appearance.

If you wanted to make it really fluffy, paint all your Swooping Hawks Gold and re-name them 'Golden Eagles'.

For inspiration on the golden eagle idea watch the 1980 version of 'Flash Gordon' film and check out the 'Prince Vultan' character.

Don't worry about what other people say. I bought some Swooping Hawks off Ebay and they were painted 'PINK' and blue, that is a colour scheme that deserves punishment.

If you make a nice paint job and support the colour scheme with an original and amazingly fluffy army history even create a whole new craftworld. it can work out fine

neko_katan
29-03-2007, 01:52
nothing wrong with metals..in fact..teh craftworld of Kaelor, in the recent book Eldar Prophecy, is described as having metal plated ground everywhere, etc. In a mix with wraith-structuring...or maybe the metal plate is wraith. Pluss the Lhykosidae has entire metalic golden armor.

:D

have fun, make it your own, enjoy that you are actually painting your army and not being one of the not even primed mini-forces that scourge the galaxy :D

Wraithbored
29-03-2007, 01:54
nothing wrong with metals..in fact..teh craftworld of Kaelor, in the recent book Eldar Prophecy, is described as having metal plated ground everywhere, etc. In a mix with wraith-structuring...or maybe the metal plate is wraith. Pluss the Lhykosidae has entire metalic golden armor.

:D

have fun, make it your own, enjoy that you are actually painting your army and not being one of the not even primed mini-forces that scourge the galaxy :D

Prophecy written by C.S. Goto right? MOVING ON!!:wtf:

Da Reddaneks
29-03-2007, 02:02
is it fluffy to paint Eldar in metal armour?
While i may be an ork i completely dont see anything wrong with it. If it looks good then i see eldar doing it. I do not see them wearing a manhole cover on their chest and calling it armor (like the truly great races do) but for high tech skin tight metal fabric ... heck yes.

Who says Eldar can't look good in metallics!
dang, sweet paint job there wraithbored. did you do that model? thats pretty awsome.

Prophecy written by C.S. Goto right? MOVING ON!!:wtf:
i totally didnt understand that.

Wraithbored
29-03-2007, 02:56
dang, sweet paint job there wraithbored. did you do that model? thats pretty awsome.

i totally didnt understand that.

Not my paintjob at all Reddaneks! I can't paint to save my pointy ears!

And as for the quote C.S. Goto's latest writting about Eldar is <censored> to say the least!

Lyinar
29-03-2007, 03:03
I think Wraithbored is trying to say, far too politely, that CS Goto is an abomination and blasphemer against everything the Eldar stand for.

And that paint job on the miniature he posted is like Metallic Non-Metallic Non-Metal...

Wraithbored
29-03-2007, 03:19
Well yes rabid fanboyism aside he did manage to maul the Eldar fluff VERY badly. :(

Magistrate
29-03-2007, 04:14
Who says Eldar can't look good in metallics! http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Wraithbored/Bansheeingold2.jpg

Sweet Baby Emperor, is there anywhere explaining how they painted that!? I gotta know!

Bregalad
29-03-2007, 10:48
This is the so called NMM (non-metal metal) style, i.e. painting with non-metal colours to create a metal look. Strictly for very advanced painters.

RustyHarlequin
29-03-2007, 13:43
As you've guessed from the majority of respondants, it should not be a problem :D

Personally my Craftworld dominant colour is metalic blue :evilgrin:

Hi

I know this may be a daft question but is it fluffy to paint Eldar in metal armour? I know the way they are shown is with advanced plasticy (?) type armour but I really like the idea of a completly gold army with different coloured hair and cloth to show different aspects.

Basicly would I be lynched by Eldar fans for this?

Many thanks

Sleazy
29-03-2007, 13:50
On a related note...

I just bought a load of the orginal eldar pirates/space elves off ebay, they were so heavily glooped in paint i got a bargain (25 quid for over 50 including heavy weapons and some odd characters like musicians and traders!),

one bath of Nitro Mors later and they are all loverly clean metal again, i was wondering what colours to do them, I wanna keep the original pirate fluff for them so there'll be no Aspects and I considered metallic. They were always shown as black and yellow but that became Ulthwe.

any ideas?

(ps I dont mean to hijack the thead i just didnt think it deserved a thread of its own).

Dragunov
29-03-2007, 13:56
Have you seen the original painted versions? Maybe try metalic reds as I have seen some good results with that.

Post some pictures when you have done some.:)

Sleazy
29-03-2007, 14:11
these>?

yeah

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt402eldarcommandwd99.jpg

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt04spaceelveswd948710.jpg

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt404eldardcannon.jpg

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt404eldarartillery.jpg

doesnt inspire me though, i need a muse....

Captain Micha
29-03-2007, 14:18
oh god, its so bad. my eyes they burn! put that heresy away!

Lyinar
29-03-2007, 19:18
What? The '80s hurt your eyes? Better not watch MacGyver then. ;)

Jes Goodwin has DEFINITELY come a long way since those things, though.

LirEdinSun
04-05-2007, 01:56

Here are some photos of my 'Metal' painted Eldar models.