PDA

View Full Version : FLYING CIRCUS (strigoi)

andy demoe
28-03-2007, 21:47
does any one play a flying circus list?has any one played against a flying circus list? if so how is it for a army list,or how was it facing them?the idea sounds very intreging.i myself have never seen or used said list.except on vampire specific websites.

(what a flying circus is you use strigoi vampire lord and vampire thralls all with the bloodline power bat form, and then go off hunting)

andy demoe
28-03-2007, 23:06
so no body has ever heard or faced a flying circus ?

Howling_Screamer
28-03-2007, 23:21
I know Tzeentch flying circus, never heard of any other...... but thats just me.

andy demoe
28-03-2007, 23:25
on the blood keep web site in the strigoi specfic links ther are guys there that talk about the "flying circus "which is a vampire lord(strigoi)and vampire thralls(strigoi) all with the bloodline power bat form they say it can be quite nasty when the get into combat.

Bull
29-03-2007, 02:58
I've heard of it before.

I've never had the pleasure of playing one before though.

spud
29-03-2007, 04:37
Also heard of it, but never seen a list.

Your Mum Rang
29-03-2007, 10:21
It involves 4 flying Strigoi Vamps. If they hit a unit they win via sheer CR.

andy demoe
29-03-2007, 18:02
It involves 4 flying Strigoi Vamps. If they hit a unit they win via sheer CR.

this is exactly what i have heard, but how good would this army be?(is it a risky army)i think it would have incredible hitting power but how do you think it would survive?

Bal
29-03-2007, 18:06
what do you use for core? bat swarms and fell bats?

andy demoe
29-03-2007, 19:20
what do you use for core? bat swarms and fell bats?

no the army still follows the standard vampire list,so zombies,skeletons,ghouls,etc......i believe they use all the vampires to fly into a enemy unit then let all hell break loose,then on to the next,etc....

andy demoe
31-03-2007, 00:52
does any one else have any input on this army?especially any one who use this kind of army or has faced this kind of army.

jme
31-03-2007, 01:07
I faced one once. Very nasty, facing a super unit of 4 vamps, however not a lot of magic and no support for the skelies and zombies. I was using orcs (no gobbos). I lost a few units but won the game as the vampires had a bad round of combat and my warlord splated the vamp lord! If I was to face that army again, I would take gobins and fantics. That would slow them down! Can be a fun army but the strigoi skirimish army is better in my opinion (that being using lots of ghouls).

andy demoe
31-03-2007, 02:00
I faced one once. Very nasty, facing a super unit of 4 vamps, however not a lot of magic and no support for the skelies and zombies. I was using orcs (no gobbos). I lost a few units but won the game as the vampires had a bad round of combat and my warlord splated the vamp lord! If I was to face that army again, I would take gobins and fantics. That would slow them down! Can be a fun army but the strigoi skirimish army is better in my opinion (that being using lots of ghouls).

can remeber if he/she used more fast type units ex:knights,wolves,bats,etc...
or more foot slogging units? it seems to me this army would better benefit from faster units?(but i agree with you on the skirmisher strigoi army):D

jme
31-03-2007, 14:41
There was a lot of fast moving stuff, units of dire wolves, 2 units of fell bats, unit of bat swarms, two units of ghouls, the flying vamps, all backed up with skeletons and zombies. It can be a very nasty army but he didn't really use it right. Nothing supported each other. I would have gone for a unit of black knights and a black coach on one flank. Bats, wolves and vamps on the other and skelies and zombies down the centre. I would also drop one vampire for a lv 2 necromancer as you need magic support. So my army would look something like this:

Flying vamp lord
Flying vamp thrall
Flying vamp thrall
Lv2 necromancer

20 skeleies
20 zombies
6 wolves
6 wolves
5 fell bats
5 fell bats
6 black knights
black coach
any points left over spent on ghouls.

I don't have the army book to hand so don't know the points but I think you could fit it in. The army I played didn't have the knights or coach (had extra skeletons), and the fell bats units were only 3 strong.
You got me thinking now, flying vampires of death, now wheres that army book.......

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
02-04-2007, 03:40
I dont know the VC list very well, but I have seen one before.
It was something like this
Lord- bat form
thall-bat form
thall-bat form
thall-bat form

5 dire wolves-doom wolf
5 dire wolves-doom wolf
5 dire wolves-doom wolf
5 dire wolves-doom wolf
10 ghouls
10 ghouls

10 black knights( represented as werewolves because the army was beast themed)
3 bats
3 bats

black coach
banshee

NASTY...

andy demoe
02-04-2007, 18:46
I dont know the VC list very well, but I have seen one before.
It was something like this
Lord- bat form
thall-bat form
thall-bat form
thall-bat form

5 dire wolves-doom wolf
5 dire wolves-doom wolf
5 dire wolves-doom wolf
5 dire wolves-doom wolf
10 ghouls
10 ghouls

10 black knights( represented as werewolves because the army was beast themed)
3 bats
3 bats

black coach
banshee

NASTY...

that does seem like a very nasty list,but a list like that would take some know how to use,dont you think? i would be curious to see other variations of the "flying circus".
if any one else has some info to share it would be great.this army has me vary intrigued!

tanka
02-04-2007, 22:56
I dont run a flying circus list, but I use a list with a count and a thrall.

Rather than going straight at a unit, I use them as supporters to a flank charge by knights, or hunting support units (wardancers, wild riders, salamanders, small knight units(with the count) even monster mounted characters).

Works well, especially with 9 PD and the book.

Adam

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
03-04-2007, 00:10
It was so devastating because between 2 and 4 vampires would hit the front rank and cause some hideous CR. while DW and bats hit the flanks to make the deficit even greater.
Stuff like the knights and the coach usually only required the help of one or two thalls to win, while they were protected byt a unit of gouls and DW

lparigi34
04-04-2007, 05:17
I've had the circus, but with a little variation in my characters to keep some of the magic power of the VC's. In this list I do use neither Skeletons nor Etereals, trying to keep it very themed.

Strigoi Vampire Count @ 340 Pts
Magic Level 2, Bat Form, Curse of the Revenant

Strigoi Vampire Thrall @ 125 Pts
Bat Form

Bat Form

Necromancer @ 150 Pts
Magic Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Book of Arkhan

2x30 Zombies @ 390 Pts
Musician, Standard

2x12 Ghouls @ 212 Pts
Ghast

3 Bat Swarm @ 180 Pts

3x8 Dire Wolves @ 240 Pts

2x6 Fell Bats @ 240 Pts

Models in Army: 127

Total Army Cost: 2002

If I have to get rid of the Necromancer, then IŽd go for the Vampire Lord instead of the extra thrall.

andy demoe
04-04-2007, 17:07
I've had the circus, but with a little variation in my characters to keep some of the magic power of the VC's. In this list I do use neither Skeletons nor Etereals, trying to keep it very themed.

Strigoi Vampire Count @ 340 Pts
Magic Level 2, Bat Form, Curse of the Revenant

Bat Form

Bat Form

Necromancer @ 150 Pts
Magic Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Book of Arkhan

2x30 Zombies @ 390 Pts
Musician, Standard

2x12 Ghouls @ 212 Pts
Ghast

3 Bat Swarm @ 180 Pts

3x8 Dire Wolves @ 240 Pts

2x6 Fell Bats @ 240 Pts

Models in Army: 127

Total Army Cost: 2002

If I have to get rid of the Necromancer, then IŽd go for the Vampire Lord instead of the extra thrall.

how effective did you find this list?and what armies do you usally face?and why such large units of ghouls why not 3 units of 8? just qurious.but list looks good very strigoi.

lparigi34
04-04-2007, 18:03
Thanks Andy.

I usually play against Lizardmen, Dwarves, High Elves and Beasts of Chaos. The little stunties are the toughest to beat. I've played this army 5 times and so far only lost 1 vs Lizardmen. As for the unit sizes, you can go either way. Once I fielded the bats in a 12 models unit, and sometimes I field less Zombies and a bring in lots of wolves in units of 5 (I have at least 35 models)

andy demoe
04-04-2007, 23:41
Thanks Andy.

I usually play against Lizardmen, Dwarves, High Elves and Beasts of Chaos. The little stunties are the toughest to beat. I've played this army 5 times and so far only lost 1 vs Lizardmen. As for the unit sizes, you can go either way. Once I fielded the bats in a 12 models unit, and sometimes I field less Zombies and a bring in lots of wolves in units of 5 (I have at least 35 models)

have you ever tried to incorprate black knights and or black coach in your list?if yes how did these units work out for you?

lparigi34
05-04-2007, 00:24
In fact, I had included Black Knigths, and they did great, being IMO the best troop the VC have. No Black Coach, though I have the mini I think this is the less Strigoish stuff in the list. Also that is what I do not include Knights anymore... I want my characters to do the carnage.

As for the Black Coach itself, I've not been lucky using it, but I'm sure it was my fault...

andy demoe
05-04-2007, 00:33
thanks for the info i was thinking of including knights if i do this army list.
sorry i keep asking you questions but i have one more for you;) do you find it hard in co-ordinating your units for attack ex:vamps hitting front lines with wolves or other units hitting the flanks?i would think it takes a general who knows this army well?

Toll Booth Willy
05-04-2007, 06:27
With any army it would take practice, a few games against a close friend will probably tighten up any movement or battle line issues you may find.

lparigi34
05-04-2007, 14:07
With any army it would take practice, a few games against a close friend will probably tighten up any movement or battle line issues you may find.

Already said...

I must add... the nastiest tactic is, ususally in the 1st or 2nd turn, to fly your 3 vampires from the main unit at the same time, vs the same unit... Most of the time you'll brake it, destroy it and have 3 uber-fighting-flying-monsters in your enemy rear, as the rest of your army "walks" from the front... As Toll Both said... practice a little, I've been playing vampires for a while now, so for me is kind of intuitively...

andy demoe
11-04-2007, 01:18
thanks for all the info and input guys! if anyone else has any info or experience with "the flying circus" please share,anything would be great.