PDA

View Full Version : TK Tomb Scorpion vs. Carrion

Darth_DONG
30-03-2007, 15:04
I like the look and fluff of Tomb Scorpions a lot more than I like that of the Carrions. In game terms, I see most lists take units of 6-8 Carrions for flank/rear charges, and for war machine crews.

Does anyone think it would be possible for the Tomb Scorpions to fill this role, taking into account "It Came From Below..." or is it necessary to use Carrion?

Makaber
30-03-2007, 15:29
Weird that you'd say that, because the Tomb Scorpion is ridicilously awesome. Compare it to anything, and it's abundantly clear it's vastly underpriced. Carrions on the other hand, I've rarely seen. It seems most people fill up their special slots with the aforementioned scorps ...

Darth_DONG
30-03-2007, 15:51
I thought the Scorpions were pretty jacked myself, but I was looking at the Tactica for Tomb Kings (since I'm new at Fantasy) and seemed to leave with the impression that Carrion were pretty necessary. Not to say Scorpions were bad, but not as essential.

Maelx
30-03-2007, 15:52
Scops = less reliable but hit harder, character hunters

Carrior = more reliable, faster, flanker

depends on what role you need to fill..

DeathlessDraich
30-03-2007, 16:46
They both tend to be warmachine hunters.
A Scorpion that charges is nearly always guaranteed success but on the downside has to emerge successfully.
Carrion will cost more - usually successful with units of 4 or more as some will be shot down and/or destroyed by magic. Against dwarven warmachines, they struggle.

The balance I think favours the Scorpion - many TK opponents feel they are too strong.

Esco Thomson
30-03-2007, 17:04
The balance I think favours the Scorpion - many TK opponents feel they are too strong.

I have yet to hear that they are too strong, merely that they are a bit under priced.

The main and really only important point to consider here is; How soon do you need to tie up a war machine and/or a mage?

Carrion are the only unit we can reliable get across the table on the first turn, so if you need to take out that cannon, etc. go with them. I prefer a unit of at least 5 due to the crossfire rule, so that after they take some things out, they serve another purpose.

Tomb Scorpions however, MAY show up early, late or not at all. They are like that one friend who always says he will show up after a few errands, then calls at the last moment and cancels, but next Tuesday shows up in the middle of dinner unexpectedly. The difference is that when the TS show up, they generally happen to bring the hurt.

Miniature characters in terms of stat lines, and better than some characters flat out. No US of 5, but that would just end up being plain mean now wouldn't it?

Go with what you army needs. If you could use a bit more hitting power and are playing a more offensive natured list, take some scorpions. If you are sitting back on the defensive, use carrion to slow down the advance, or take a little of both. Remember TK list is one that generally will work out better if you have a balanced list.

Ophidian
30-03-2007, 17:11
I've only ever faced the TK, rather than played as them, and have never found Scorpions to be anything other than brutal. Usually taken in pairs (which jacks up the odds of one of them turning up at a decent time), yet one on its own is effective - certainly effective enough that it takes a ridiculous effort to dispose of the gasher before its mate turns up to polish off what it couldn't take care of...

Darth_DONG
30-03-2007, 17:35
Thanks all, I'm pretty new to Fantasy, so every bit helps. For now, I think I'll go with Scorpions. If it turns out I need something faster, I'll pick up Carrions later.

Mooglemen
30-03-2007, 17:50
I have lost so many scorpions to bad ICFB rolls, that I started deploying mine normally. Since doing so, I've found the scorp makes an excellent rear guard or charge supporter.
I guess the point here is that you don't HAVE to bury the thing.

hivetyrant333
30-03-2007, 18:06
I have lost so many scorpions to bad ICFB rolls, that I started deploying mine normally. Since doing so, I've found the scorp makes an excellent rear guard or charge supporter.
I guess the point here is that you don't HAVE to bury the thing.

I've played three games with my Tomb Kings so far, and twice I lost my Scorpion underground. The third time, when it actually did appear, it did very badly against a Dwarf Cannon and died. :cries: That's not to say I don't like it though, as it hasn't really had a chance to shine yet.

lparigi34
30-03-2007, 20:52
I usually have a little of both, if you have the slots to fill. In less than 2K Iīll bring Carrion-Scorpions-Ushabti, In 2K+ I'll add and extra scorpion...

If you do not bury them, then compare 3 Ushabti Vs 2 Scorpions. The three monsters can null enemy rank bonuses, but scorpions have poison + KB + MR (1), so it finally depends on your playing style. (and 3 ushabti takes only one slot).

WanderingRogue
30-03-2007, 20:56
the scorps are better for gun lines/character assasination, that marker in the middle of the firing line really makes bods sweat. the carrion are flyers that cause fear with good attacks, that has war machine hunters written all over it........

Frankly
31-03-2007, 01:34
I'd prefer using flyers since they're always on the board and during the game thieir high movement can get them around the board and supporting, he can also first turn charge units:angel: .

Weapon
31-03-2007, 02:18
This isn't even a contest. Scorp all the way. underpriced monster, warmachine killer, and overall nuts beast. Carrion are by no means bad, but not better than a scorp.

sulla
31-03-2007, 02:59
This isn't even a contest. Scorp all the way. underpriced monster, warmachine killer, and overall nuts beast. Carrion are by no means bad, but not better than a scorp.

Agreed. Nothing more to say, they are just better.

Ta'akul
01-04-2007, 02:09
I don't see it as a case of better and worse but a case of what is the best unit for the role you need it to play in your army. Both have great advantages and some drawbacks. I tend to find room for both. As you develop your style of play and react to that of your regular opponents you will determine which works better for you. You may end up needing both.

luckysevens
02-04-2007, 10:35
From my experiences against TK both scorpions and the carrion have proven pretty nasty. The ability to charge the carrion into warmachine crews on turn one means against many opponents you're guaranteed to get your points back for a small unit - I play HE, so my 100pt, 2 man crew repeater bolt throwers were easy meat. Anything after that is a a bonus.

As has already been said the scorpions are less reliable, but maybe more fun.

Tutore
02-04-2007, 12:53
I donīt like carrions that much, I prefer scorpions, which hit harder and are constructs.

Bloodknight
02-04-2007, 20:32
I play both, 2 Scorps and one unit of 5 carrion. The 4th special slot is reserved for one block of 25 Tomb Guard.
I normally use one scorpion and the carrion for warmachine hunting and deploy one scorpion normally to add some fighting power to a unit of skeletons (letīs face it, the scorpion is at least as good as many heroes) or to assassinate characters.

lparigi34
02-04-2007, 21:56
I play both, 2 Scorps and one unit of 5 carrion. The 4th special slot is reserved for one block of 25 Tomb Guard.
I normally use one scorpion and the carrion for warmachine hunting and deploy one scorpion normally to add some fighting power to a unit of skeletons (letīs face it, the scorpion is at least as good as many heroes) or to assassinate characters.

uhmmmm... I like this tactic...