PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Army

kyussinchains
30-03-2007, 22:25
I've decided to get started on the skaven army I bought a few weeks back, I have the following which needs assembly and painting

100 clanrats (50 clanrats, 50 slaves)
40 plague monks
20 night runners (10 as night runners, 10 as gutter runners)
10 jezzails (converted from clanrats and kroot rifles)
6 plague censer bearers
2 ratling guns
grey seer
warlock
plague priest
assassin

I've just started assembling the night runners, I'm aiming to get 40 clanrats done by the end of the night as well, then try and get the rest assembled and primed on sunday, as I'm busy tommorow

I'm attending a gaming group tournament on the 5th, so ideally I want to get most of my stuff painted to gaming standard by then, I work during the day, but I do have a wife who is no slouch in the painting department! I'm thinking I can get 20-40 rats done in 4 hours, and I can usually spare 4 hours per night

anything not done is no big deal, but I'd like to use a fully painted army

Dodgy ed (speed painting expert if you didnt know) gave me the following guidelines:

1)undercoat the model black
2)Heavy drybrush of snakebite leather
3)Lighter drybrush of bubonic brown
4)Chesnut ink everything
5)paint metallics
6)paint colour details(cloth etc)
If you're after scummy rusty metal paint swap steps 4&5 (obviously)

The real key to speed painting is the bases (hopefully the skaven you've scored haven't already been based) Initally undercoat the model before 'sanding' the base so that when you paint the bases they haven't been undercoated. that way when you are inking the model you should be able to use neat watered down ink on the base (NB this is messy) leave the whole lot to dry thoroughly, then you can just drybrush the bases with bleached bone and stick static grass to them as a finishing touch

Overall just ensure you have consistency in the basing, you'll then get away with a myriad of smaller sins.

with this in mind I'll get started! if anyone else has any advice, I would be very appreciative!

oh yeah I'm scratch building a screaming bell and a warp lightning cannon, maybe I can get those done too!

Weregerbil
31-03-2007, 01:33
You crazy crazy foo! Good luck to you.

armos
31-03-2007, 03:01
good luck matey...

if you're following the above formula it sounds like you're wanting to go for a pretty neutral looking army; ie. lots of brown... if that's the case i have some advice having speed painted skaven myself.

first off the single most forgiving shading technique i've ever found is a wash of brown ink... it works on fur, flesh, metal (if you want it looking weathered which i'm guessing you do for skaven), leather and even green and purple (although admittably they end up looking muddy... again ok for skaven... two washes work better then one so two washes of 1 part ink to 3 parts water (allow to dry between) works way better then one 50/50 water/ink wash.

anyways from speed-painting skaven myself i would suggest the following;

(from chaos black undercoat)
fur: basecoat scorched brown: drybrush vermin brown then bleached bone
Cloth: basecoat chaos black: drybrush scorched brown then scorched brown/bleached bone mix
leather (belts, straps etc.): snakebite leather
wood (spear-staffs etc.): bestial brown: drybrush bestial brown/skull white mix
metal: boltgun metal

then give whole model 2 washes of 3 parts water/1 part brown ink mix

pick out leather in snakebite leather and metal in boltgun metal ... if needs be highlight metal with chaimmail (but with skaven muted, dull metal works well) ... pick out claws and other 'bony' details with bleached bone .. teeth can be picked out in bleached bone and look effective if then highlighted with skull white

dependant on what look you want you may also consider picking out the 'fleshy' parts of the ratty fellows with dwarf-flesh and then highlighting with elf-flesh (personnaly i think they look better without but it's a judgement call)

also i agree it's a good idea with speed painting to consider the bases as part of the overall model straight away, but personally i consider it's best to do these in one big go seperatly or have a really simple basing technique where you can guarantee consistantcy.

I'd really hoped to be able to show you a skaven painted to the above technique but mine have all gone off to the big display cabinet in the sky, but i have a night goblin who's painted in much the same style (aside from the fur)... he took approximatly 7 minutes to paint (aside from drying times and basing)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/armos/bibble029-1.jpg
(edit... pic was a bit big)

hope this helps :)

Dodgy Ed
31-03-2007, 11:44
Looks like Armos and I have a very similar technique, and I have to confess that all the basing on my dwarfs was done at the end in one fell swoop, (but be warned if you do that your sanity will suffer). For personal preference I think chesnut ink is a better choice than straight brown ink as IMHO it is a warmer more natural colour suitable for fur etc whereas brown ink seems to have a harsher edge better suited to metallics. As far as the muted palette I agree and would suggest some form of brighter cloth colour, red (scab red) or blue(shadow grey) as a unifying feature across the army and also to break up the multi tonal brown. Both of these colours have the advantage that they can be painted over the brown last and become instantly highlighted by doing so.

kyussinchains
31-03-2007, 12:33
thanks for the info and encouragement, currently I dont have a digital camera, although I might be able to borrow my mum's, however she lives miles away from me.

I've been glueing and converting for ages now and all I've got done is 10 night runners, 10 gutter runners and a single jezzail (which looks pretty darn good, I'll post some pics and a rough guide on how to do them ASAP)

I've also got a horrendously busy week ahead of me, I have a job interview on tuesday, and I'm trying to get two projects out the door at work and only have 2 days to do it, so I'll be pulling a few late nighters there!

I've come to the realisation that I'm unlikely to get anything painted by my gaming group tournament next week, but obviously I will be working on these little buggers for a while now, I dont want to keep posting without any progress, so apart from my jezzail idea, I'll stop here until I get stuff sorted, thanks for the tips, they will undoubtedly prove useful!

ZeroTwentythree
31-03-2007, 21:31
Heh, also sounds like the skaven quick-painting I mentioned in Vattendroppe's Arabay log. :D

Works well, IMHO, and I think the time spent painting the details AFTER the ink wash really make figures stand out vs. purely "dipped" (or whatever) figures.

Good luck.

bert n ernie
01-04-2007, 13:52
I really hope you dont' mean the 5th of April.
I'm paintign my skaven at the moment too(in sig- will update when I get camera batterys), and they are really tough to finish. I'd just get so bored painting them the way you suggest. I think it'll be great to finish the army quicker, but if you don't get them done i time you may as well take your time with censer bearers and hero/lord choices.

Overall the one thing I've learned is to not get bored and browse the forums:angel:
Its far too distracting talking about painting Skaven instead of doing it!

kyussinchains
01-04-2007, 22:19
I'm one of those guys who never based his models nicely, I usually just paint the bases goblin green and forget about it.

Now I've decided to break that habit

when I get the bases all sanded up, how do I attach the models? using PVA glue? or superglue? or do I scrape foot holes in the sand and stick them direct to the base?

ZeroTwentythree
01-04-2007, 22:45
I usually sand the bases after the figures are glued (and usually after they're painted, as well.)

Now that you mention it, though, if you're pinning the figures in place rather than using the slotta-tabs, you could just put finished figures on finished bases. Seems like it could possibly be lot of extra work.

bert n ernie
01-04-2007, 23:51
If you glue the model on after basing you'll need space for each models foot. I'd rather just do all teh basing once the model is glues personally, thoguh it occasionally causes trouble when you drybrush and hit your finished mini.

kyussinchains
04-04-2007, 22:53
Some of my converted skaven jezzails, as I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, I decided to stick some rats on the base as 'guard rats' instead of the loader guy (that way I get an extra 10 clanrats)

hope the pics work, the rifles are kroot rifles, I used the shield arms from the clanrat sprue, they needed trimming and filing on the shoulder joint so they hug the body, the supporting arms were the clanrat spear arms which are extended, thrusting the spears out, I cut the spears off and quarried the shaft out from the hand, it worked pretty well, a few have sagged, but there you go! I'll need to get some green stuff and fill a few gaps, but they turned out better than I thought they would!

apologies for the low pic quality

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/kyussinchains/PICT0020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/kyussinchains/PICT0018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/kyussinchains/PICT0017.jpg

TheWarSmith
05-04-2007, 00:05
FANTASTIC cost saving and good looking way of using kroot guns for jezzails. I love it.

mousekiller
05-04-2007, 04:23
Anywhere that you can save money at GW is definitely worth it.

Great conversions. Now get painting...:)

The boyz
05-04-2007, 12:25
Nice conversions on the Jezzail teams. I like the idea of using the Kroot rifles.

ASTINOFF
27-08-2011, 08:44
Some of my converted skaven jezzails, as I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, I decided to stick some rats on the base as 'guard rats' instead of the loader guy (that way I get an extra 10 clanrats)

hope the pics work, the rifles are kroot rifles, I used the shield arms from the clanrat sprue, they needed trimming and filing on the shoulder joint so they hug the body, the supporting arms were the clanrat spear arms which are extended, thrusting the spears out, I cut the spears off and quarried the shaft out from the hand, it worked pretty well, a few have sagged, but there you go! I'll need to get some green stuff and fill a few gaps, but they turned out better than I thought they would!

apologies for the low pic quality

Hi, I'm new with skaven, so I want to know, what model are the body part? I don't recognize it?
I want to try that, so Kroot rifle: Are weapon of what army?

Thanks

kyussinchains
27-08-2011, 15:10
hi, the skaven model is a 6th edition clanrat, you can use the the night runner models.

kroot rifles are from the 40k tau range, the kroot auxilliaries, I ordered a couple of sprues from battlewagon bits rather than buy the whole kit

hope this is of some use!