PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Strategy and info

Bortus
31-03-2007, 06:33
Anybody know where to get a good strat guide for playing Bretonnians? Haven't played them since the old edition and I want to get up to speed since no one else in our group plays them. I've got the army book but now I need to see how everybodys playing them. Strat, websites, your army choices, whatever...any and all responses welcome!

Weapon
31-03-2007, 06:45
Anybody know where to get a good strat guide for playing Bretonnians? Haven't played them since the old edition and I want to get up to speed since no one else in our group plays them. I've got the army book but now I need to see how everybodys playing them. Strat, websites, your army choices, whatever...any and all responses welcome!

The army book.

Corai
31-03-2007, 09:51
Bretonnian Strategy:
'Get horse, ride horse, charge'
Job done.

Seriously though, When you say the previous edition are you talking about 5th or 6th? Becasue there haven't been a wole lot of changes to how Brets play in 7th (except that questing knights are now not really worth it).

Thanks
Corai

riddles
31-03-2007, 11:27
my tip would be to not underestimate the lowly bowman. Softening up the knights intended target prior to charging. Sounds like people shouldnt need to be told that but the amount of people i play that dont take them "cos they've got bs of 2".

Questing knights and knight errant, although weaker than their counterparts are worth it in my opinion. QK cos the strength bonus. KE as they are unpredictable when getting close, you opponent will expect discipline from bretonnian knights

sephiroth87
31-03-2007, 16:53
My favorite unit is the 30 man "Peasant Devastator Squad." Take a unit of 30 bowmen and pay for the skirmish. Put them in a big ball and let them fire away between your knight unit. Don't think peasant bowmen are good? Let them fire away at almost anything. 30 guys firing at a 30'' range are the bee's knees, and they don't steal any of your maneuverability from your knights, since they take up very little of the board.

Bortus
31-03-2007, 18:07
Yeah sorry when I said old edition I meant 5th. Now at first I thought I'd like to update it making replacements as necessary but what I have deceied to do is to start from scratch and buy all new models. So please by all means let me hear your thoughts.

Vattendroppe
31-03-2007, 18:22

Still, the grail relique with BSB paladin in it.

And then, horsies, horsies and more mookies. Umm... Horses anyway. Cavalry. Screen your grail knights with mounted yeomen... Some skirmishing bowmen maybe, not to magic heavy.

Corai
31-03-2007, 22:07
yeah, some mounted yeomen should be able to make efficient screens or bait and flee units for your knight lances. even Knights of the realm can be devastating on the charge as they can be lead by characters. Relaly, all Bretonnian strategy comes down to differant ways to ensure your knight lances get charges.

And then there's the RAF approach which is to load up on pegasus knights and go to town (dear god did I just endorse the RAF army?!)

Thanks
Corai

Vattendroppe
31-03-2007, 22:17
even Knights of the realm can be devastating on the charge as they can be lead by characters.

I'd say that any charge from a lance is devestating, character or not...

Bortus
01-04-2007, 04:57
Then would it make sense then to run a unit say of 8 Grail Knights led by the general and maybe flank supported by Yeoman or small units of KOTR in a 2500 pt. game? I was messing with AB today and a unit like this with a Damsel in the center would be devastating! Oh and lots of guys use Pegasus Knights huh?

Vattendroppe
01-04-2007, 08:04
Then would it make sense then to run a unit say of 8 Grail Knights led by the general and maybe flank supported by Yeoman or small units of KOTR in a 2500 pt. game? I was messing with AB today and a unit like this with a Damsel in the center would be devastating! Oh and lots of guys use Pegasus Knights huh?

8 GK are IMO far to much in a 2,5K game. I use 5, ranked up in an ordinary line, shielded with mounted yeomen in front of them. The GK don't need a paladin to survive, they will be better to spend elsewhere.

Pegasus are pretty popular, many people consider them the best flying unit in the game. They sure are good, but bulk up a lot of points. Be careful if you use them, if you make a missplacement of them they can still be shot down. With 50 pts (IIRC) per model, that's ouch.

oop
01-04-2007, 09:17
Bretonnian strategy?
Sorry, but the only bretonnian I have played against was so lame that the very concept of a bretonnian tactic makes me laugh. No offence meant

Again...Bretonnian srtategy you said??

MarcoPollo
02-04-2007, 06:15
Try Here for a good website:http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=32&func=viewcategory&catid=1

It is pretty comprehensive, and has some good discussions.

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-04-2007, 07:17

Don't think so. 8 grail knights, general and a damsel is way overkill. The nice thing about grails is that they work fine in small units and on there own.

Put the characters with the slightly larger units of normal knights.

Alathir
02-04-2007, 07:58
Haha yeah 8 is a bit much... but it hasnt stopped me before.... 8 grail knights with a bretonnian lord in it is ALOT of fun to charge... into anything pretty much..the look on my opponents face when I pick up 16 dice for 16 strength 6, weapon skill 5 attacks is too good to pass up. I like to do this from time to time and usually give them a simple warbanner or if im worried about shooting then the Banner of Defence.

Otherwise, I usually field 6 Grail Knights in a single line, they work better that way, same with Questing Knights (who arent as useless as people make them out to be)

Yeah, Pegasus are nice and I field them quite a bit... but in ways I prefer a few small units of yeomen.

Arryn
02-04-2007, 11:54
Sorry, did someone say Peasent Archers have a BS of 2? Its actually 3...

warhammerlord_soth
02-04-2007, 12:18
My mounted yeoman kept a greater Demon of Khorne out of the game in a 3000 point battle.... not too shabby for peasantboys.. (OK they did it redirecting him of the table while fleeing.. But it was worth sacrificing them for. At the end of the battle, all my opponent had left standing was the greater Demon :D

Oh, and I succeeded in doing this 3 times.... in the one battle... there is room for strategy in Bretonian lists... If you want to use it...

TheWarSmith
02-04-2007, 13:59
This should go in the tactica section.

Also, read the watchman, there's a very good tactica and breakdown by yours truly.

Bretonnian Lord
02-04-2007, 15:56
As MarcoPollo said, the Roundtable of Bretonnia is a good website for Bretonnian players. You'll find lots of strategy guides and helpful people there.

As for strategy, all units in the Bretonnian army can be used to great effect if you use the right strategy. Peasant Bowmen are amazing in a big skirmish group (They actually have BS 3, not 2). And Men-at-Arms are great, 5 pts for a str 4 attack? Yes, please! Grail Pilgrims are also good for holding out flanks (stubborn+hatred makes them extremely tough to overrun, you can count on them to hold their position to the last man). And the Field Trebuchet has improved strength over normal Trebuchets, making it a great weapon if you are good at guessing distances. Just remember to keep Knights nearby so the Peasants can use their LD value.

Knights are the main strength of Bretonnians, and you should use them to their full potential. Knights of the Realm are great basic Knights units (It is required that each Bretonnian army has a minimum of 1 KotR unit) who work best in lance formations of 9 Knights. Combined with other lances, they can break nearly anything in the game! Knights Errant, while less reliable due to their Impetuous rule, can still be a nasty surprise for the opponent when they charge- Immune to Psychology and str 6 if you give them the Errantry Banner!

A lot of people say Questing Knights are no longer worth it in 7th edition, but I still think they have a solid place in the Bretonnian list. Str 5 is a respectable strength level, especially since they keep that strength in the turns after they charge, making Questing Knights one of the few Bretonnian units who aren't screwed if they don't overrun the enemy on the charge. Pegasus Knights are awesome war machine/mage hunters, and their mobility allows them to hit flanks and rears and generally harass the enemy. Grail Knights are devastating on the charge, especially with a tooled up Bretonnian Lord. They tend to attract missile fire though, so keep their unit size small (5 Grails and 1 Lord is the unit I use).

Bretonnian characters have access to a ton of magic items and virtues, giving them a lot of good combos. The Virtues especially give a lot of variety to the Bretonnian characters.

Overall strategy: Use Peasants to support/hold critical areas while the Knights do the hammer blow. As long as a Knight is nearby to provide LD, Peasants can hold pretty well in combat. Remember that Knights are not supposed to get bogged down in combat; if they can't break their enemy on the charge then they probably will get screwed over next turn. Keep this in mind when selecting enemy targets to charge; only attack targets that you have a good chance of breaking, even if it means commiting two Lance formations at one enemy unit! The Lance formation has wide flanks, so watch out for enemy flank attacks. It's best to use your mobility to quickly overwhelm and crush one of your enemy's flanks, leaving their other lone flank to face the fury of your remainding forces.

Bortus
02-04-2007, 22:55
Thanks everyone for all your posts especially MarcoPollo for the link to The Round Table, The WarSmith for the Watchman article and to Bretonnian Lord for the lengthy and informative post (which is exactly what I wanted). Thanks guys and so now I have a lot of reading to do and figure out which models I'll need to purchase. If anyone has any pics of thier Bretonnian army I would love to see it. Send me pics or post a link cuz I'd love to see what everyone is doing with colors and schemes!

Art
04-04-2007, 22:21
One of the best things about brets is you really don't need a hard list to win games, on the down side they can become very borring to play with and against.

TheWarSmith
05-04-2007, 04:04
I find that one of the more challenging things about bretonnians is finding the list that's very fun to play with that's also very competitive.

I run a list that is by NO means an "OMG CHEEZOR!!!" list. It contains lance units NO greater than 6 strong. None of this, "look, I have a 200-250mm flank that begs for cannonballs" crap. Cannons rarely make up their point values on me, because the most they ever get are 2 knights per turn per cannon.

Units of 6-9 are the best by for Bretonnians. Start running too many 9-12 strong units and you'll run into problems with not having enough units to devote.