-Beast Bnner

Wargor 93pts
-Great wepaon
-heavy armour
-the dark herd

Bray-Shaman 111pts
-Bray staff
-Bloodunt horn

Beast Herd (15 gors, 10 ungors) 155pts (general and BSB unit)
-Standard

Beast Herd (7 gors, 10 ungors) 99pts (joined by wargor) (ambush)
-Standard

Beast Herd (7 gors, 10 ungors) 99pts (joined by bray shaman) (ambush)
-Standard

Beast Herd (7 gors, 10 ungors) 99pts (ambush)
-Standard

Warhounds of Chaos (5) 30pts

Warhounds of Chaos (5) 30pts

Tuskgor Chariot 85pts

Tuskgor Chariot 85pts

Centigor (5) 109pts
-Standard
-Shields

Centigor (5) 109pts
-Standard
-Shields

Chosen Chaos Knights (5) 245pts
-Standard

Shaggoth 306pts
-Great Weapon
-Lightarmour

what do ppl think of this army?

Timk1111
31-03-2007, 11:26
First off, the lord cant have horn of the hunt and crown of horns as they are both talismans. With the points saved form dropping one, get the Armour of Damnation, and chaos armour for the shaman (2+ save in combat with the bray staff)

All characters should have a shield. With the great weapons, if you get charged, you might be better off with that extra save than the strength. Just more tactical flexibility.

17 models in ambush i think is too many. With the 7th es changes, the unit will enter the table in one long line, backs to the edge. You can give it a go tho.

With the 25 strong herd, you're gonna need to get 7 models in range just to charge (raiders rule). For this reazson, i dont exceed 20, including characters, coz 5 is much easier to get in range, thus not slowing too much, and with a max of only +2 ranks, it usually works well for me.

Ambushing units needa champion. Check his stats, he rocks. With the bray unit, they'll need his LD too, coz LD on the ambush, then your shman ends up behind you sucks. Play the odds the best you can. You can afford to drop the ambushing standards to do this if you must, coz they might be easy VPs if it all goes wrong (and it will...)

Get two brays by droping a wargor, or get some scrolls. One level 2 will be dipelled by the vast majority of armies out there.

With the chosen, give them a warbanner, or change to a muso. purely VPs. Not critical.

Im also not a fan of the shagoth. WAY too expensive for t5, hardly any armour, and cant take a ranked up unit from the front. Get a chaos giant over this guy any day of the week. He will be your key against enemy cav, coz, after the turn the lances hit, hell be very hard to kill. Stuburn LD10 is also pure gold to det up all kinds of combos. All this for over 100 points LESS.
You could also go for normal dragon ogres, which would be cheaper (points, not cash :evilgrin: ) and will serve far with way more wounds to get through, and more attacks. 4 could take on most units head on, which is what we like to see.

Well, i hope this rambling has helped in some way.

Regards, Tim

Watcher666
31-03-2007, 21:38
updated list:

thoughts?

Beast Lord 164 pts (general)
-Crown of Horns
-Armour of Damnation
-Great Weapon
-Shield

Wargor 70pts
-Great weapon
-heavy armour
-Shield

Wargor 70pts
-Great weapon
-heavy armour
-Shield

Bray-Shaman 116pts
-Braystaff
-Dispel Scroll
-Chaos Armour

Beast Herd (12 gors, 8 ungors) 116pts (general)
-Standard

Beast Herd (12 gors, 8 ungors) 116pts (joined by Wargor)
-Standarw

Beast Herd (8 gors, 10 ungors) 116pts (joined by wargor) (ambush)
-Foe Render

Beast Herd (8 gors, 10 ungors) 116pts (joined by bray-shaman) (ambush)
-Foe Render

Beast Herd (7 gors, 10 ungors) 109pts (ambush)
-Foe Render

Tuskgor Chariot 85pts

Tuskgor Chariot 85pts

Centigor (5) 102pts
-Musician
-Shields

Centigor (5) 102pts
-Musician
-Shields

Centigor (5) 102pts
-Musician
-Shields

Chaos Giant 225pts
-Mutant Monstrosity

Shaggoth 306pts
-Great Weapon
-Lightarmour

Watcher666
01-04-2007, 06:48
bump, any opinions?

rexim
01-04-2007, 21:18
1. get a secound scroll on that shaman.
2. i miss 2 unites of dogs i this army.
3. if i know the ambush rule good enough you have 1 unit to much that ambushes.
4. heard of minos? atleast a unit with 4.
5. i dont like the shaggoth but thats me :P

Watcher666
02-04-2007, 06:58
i hate the mino models, ive got 3 units of centigors so 2 units of dogs will eat up lots of room, and ill drop the bray shaman out of ambush

Timk1111
02-04-2007, 10:20
Better. Just keep in mind with the shaggoth, 5 attacks wont bring down fully ranked up units. Thats ok, just make sure you flank with him or target smaller units thats dont get heaps of ranks, like cav, missile troops, skermishers. etc.

I still think you need two brays. Maybe fit one by shrinking the ambushing herds, since they will be combersome to ambush anyway.

Now, i know its what comes in a box set and is cheap, but beastherds should have 8-10 gors in it, and 12-10 ungors. 12 will mean that the ungors are pushed completely out of the combat for most rounds until some gors die, plus the unit becomes a little more expensive for about the same effect. If your herd gets charged by a half decent opponent, the herd is dead anyway, coz they wear bugger all armour. Might as well save points and get some spears into the fray.

The herds need a Musician. They are prone to running and need the best chance to rally they can get. With a muso and the General's Crown of Horns, you'll rallying on LD10, so you could even strategicly Flee enemy charges to set you centgors up, something beastmen usully dont do from low LD values.

If you're pressed for points anywhere, then drop mutant mostrosity on the Giant. Ive taken it in about 5 games, never saved a wound, never fell on my opponents and just saved the 20 points after that. Use the points to get those muso's...

If you dont like the look of minos, maybe go with ogres, then. There's a few to choose from, (ogre kingdoms, and the accual Chaos ogre models)

But look, most of this stuff you'll learn very quickly by playing only a handful of games. You have the foundations of a good looking army, so there's no waste in buying the models, if you decide to stick the Beasts of Chaos.

Regards, Tim

Watcher666
02-04-2007, 18:51
1.Shaggoth: hes going to be a flank crusher, always supporting

2.Herds: the list has been altered

3.I have maxed characters so no bray

4.Musicians added

now for the list:

Beast Lord 164 pts (general)
-Crown of Horns
-Armour of Damnation
-Great Weapon
-Shield

Wargor 70pts
-Great weapon
-heavy armour
-Shield

Wargor 70pts
-Great weapon
-heavy armour
-Shield

Bray-Shaman 116pts
-Braystaff
-Dispel Scroll
-Chaos Armour

Beast Herd (10 gors, 15 ungors) 145pts (general)
-Standard
-Musician

Beast Herd (10 gors, 15 ungors) 145pts (joined by Wargor)
-Standard
-Musician

Beast Herd (5 gors, 8 ungors) 72pts (joined by Wargor) (ambush)
-Musician
-Foe Render

Beast Herd (5 gors, 8 ungors) 92pts (ambush)
-Foe Render
-Musician

Beast Herd (6 gors, 8 ungors) 99pts (ambush)
-Foe Render
-Musician

Tuskgor Chariot 85pts

Tuskgor Chariot 85pts

Centigor (5) 102pts
-Musician
-Shields

Centigor (5) 102pts
-Musician
-Shields

Centigor (5) 102pts
-Musician
-Shields

Chaos Giant 225pts
-Mutant Monstrosity

Shaggoth 306pts
-Great Weapon
-Lightarmour

Feedback?

Sherlocko
02-04-2007, 18:57
Why are you ambushing the bray? The first and sometimes second turn you will have no magic defence at all, and if your general is panicked and runs of the board you will never have any...

And Chaos Hounds are perhaps the nicest model in the whole range and are pretty nice to have sometimes, at least I love them in some matches. And shaggoth rocks, when doing what he should.

Watcher666
02-04-2007, 19:14
the bray isnt ambushing

and i have 3 units of centigors for the flanking job + chariots + shaggoth, and hounds are expensive to buy

MalusCalibur
02-04-2007, 20:18
hounds are expensive to buy

A cheap way to get hounds/wolves is to buy the Golbin Wolf Rider box. 8 plastic wolves in that, perfect as Chaos hounds. You can also bitz order the wolf sprue afaik.

MalusCalibur

Timk1111
03-04-2007, 12:52
Now thats what im talking about.

Ambushing units are a much better size. The commands groups look great. Id have Foe renders on every unit, but they are pricey, and if you feel you can take on anyone in a Challenge, wont be a big deal.

The only thing id change now is your magic setup, bur i've already mentioned that, so you'de be well aware.

Good luck and peace out,

Regards, Tim

TheWarSmith
03-04-2007, 13:02
putting just standards on those centigors is a poor choice i think. You'd be better off with a champion whose wound will probably generate the extra kill without having a chance of losing a banner, which centigors often will.

Replace the beast banner w/ vitrolic banner. poison on a beast herd is NASTY!!!

Watcher666
03-04-2007, 17:31
TheWarSmith: are u looking at the current list? since the centigors dont have standards. ^^

Timk1111: i know about the magic but for the moment im keeping the single bray.

TheWarSmith
03-04-2007, 20:57
watcher, sorry, didn't notice the update. List looks good, but personally i like having more gors in my main herds. My ungors are rarely all picked out by the time i hit combat, and i love having backup gors, because often beast herds take a couple rounds to break an enemy.

the ambushers look good.

popisdead
08-04-2007, 20:56
Give your general Armour of Damnation.

Then give your BSB chaos armour.

Drop the 93 pt wargor, take another mage.

In your superherd make it 7-9 Gors and then about 21+ ungors. yeah waste of gors (convert them to beastigors or whatever) but paying almost twice the pts for models that will do nothing in combat vs ungors which could isn't so smart. I can take a more effective unit for less pts that is bigger than your 25 model superherd.

Plus take full command on your superherd. May as well.

ALWAYS take musicians. Drop the standard on your centigors. if they loose combat (a fair chance) that's 100 free VP you gave away. Same with the chaos knights; give them a musician instead.

The chariots and hounds (could use 5 more) look good. You're on the right path and I think it looks ok. lots of herds, good redundancy, but needs fine tuning.