PDA

View Full Version : HolySanguinius' Race To Conflict!

HolySanguinius
31-03-2007, 10:05
Hi all and welcome to my project log!

This is my first one here on warseer and I need your support to make it to my deadline. I am a terrible slacker, and with the holidays coming up, I figure its a good time to get off my **** and get my army done.

You need to force me to get this done!

What: 1000pts of Dwarfs

When: 19 May

So first off we have the obligatory list of models.

Thane
20 Warriors
19 Warriors
10 Quarrelers
10 Thunderers
Cannon
Bolt Thrower

So to get the ball rolling, lets start off with some pictures.

My Workspace.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/Workspace.jpg

Warrior Command

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/WarriorCommand.jpg

Quarrelers

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/Quarrelers-1.jpg

More WIP Quarrelers

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/WIPQuarrelers.jpg

SON OF LION
31-03-2007, 10:18
Stop posting on Warseer and get to work.:p

HolySanguinius
31-03-2007, 10:58
Yes sah! :rolleyes: Go multitasking!

Made a bit of progress tonight, the 4 WIP quarrelers are near completion.

Just have to do the dreaded skin, gold and snow on the bases. Should be done by tomorrow night.

Lord Lucifer
31-03-2007, 11:46
Very nice.
Get cracking! Only 48 days to go!

If you paint your Thunderers by the end of this coming week, I'll paint a unit to match you.
I submit my unassembled Averland Swordsmen as the unit of contention, 24 infantry.
Care to take me up on the challenge?
Ten to Twenty-Four?

I might see about popping along to Conflict to see the finished army, and if you win this challenge, I'll buy you a pie :p

HolySanguinius
31-03-2007, 11:57
Sure I'll take you up on the challenge, but make it a coke and we have a deal.

Might have to put my quarrelers on hold then.

Thunderers it is for next sunday. I'll have them done well before then hopefully, all going to plan (which it won't) :p

Lord Lucifer
31-03-2007, 11:59
Excellent, I have subverted your motivation to motivate ME!
Bwaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaa!
Know me and despair!

:p

armos
31-03-2007, 14:36
looking good so far :)

HolySanguinius
31-03-2007, 20:18
Cheers mate ;) . I'm looking at a way to perhaps dirty up the orange... Thoughts?

I quite like the idea that dwarfs have a bright uniform, unlike GW's 7th ed "dwarfs have no uniform". The brightness shows the pride in their colours, which doesn't mean that it won't get dirty in battle...

Curse you Lord Lucifer!!!11ONE :D

Rogue 7
31-03-2007, 21:07
Holy Sanguinius, Batman!

These look good, Look forward to seeing more of them.

matthewmw64
31-03-2007, 21:23
Man I'm so gonna do one of these project logs when I get mah camera working.

The Dwarfs look very nice :)

Lord Lucifer
01-04-2007, 04:22
I've assembled five Swordsmen and I'm getting called into work early.
Pressure's on, HS, I'm that much closer to completing a unit
*cracks whip*

:p

What do you mean by 'dirty up' the orange?
Can't really suggest much without knowing what sort of look you're going for

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 04:49
Its a bight fluro. Quite bright. I mean darken/weather some of the orange.

Unless you think that it looks fine as is.

Haha. Pitiful mortal. 7/10 thunderers are 1 piece battle for skull pass thunderers. Time is on my side.

matthewmw64
01-04-2007, 05:20
How did you do that nice blue-to-white background on your photos?

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 05:24
Well, theres 2 ways. If you are a lazy git (like me) , you can just use Picasa to make a blue fade in tint. Other wise you can create the tint in word and print it out and photograph you minitures in front of it.

I think the second way works better, because if you photograph your minis too high up, it tints the top of your minis.

Edit - Just incase you are lazier than me.

matthewmw64
01-04-2007, 05:25
lol, Ill kepp that in mind. It looks very effective :)

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 09:11
Update time!!!

All done bar the skin and some bits which I will do when the whole regiment is complete. (Horns and bows)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/QuarrelersWIPback1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/QuarrelersWIPBack.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/QuarrelersWIP1-1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/QuarrelersWIP.jpg

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 09:12
I hate painting skin. Thanks all for your support, this is the most I have painted in many a week. :D

Keep the C&C coming.

The last picture is pants. Much apoligies. Hopfully my photography will improve as the log progresses. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

matthewmw64
01-04-2007, 09:14
Don't dirty up the Orange. I think it looks great.

Any chance of a properly fleshed out list?

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 09:20
Sure is.

HEROES

Thane [142]
Ro Fury
Ro Cleaving
Mro Striking
Ro Stone
Sheild

CORE

10 Quarrelers [120]
Sheilds

10 Thunderers [140]

20 Warriors [205]
Full command

20 Warriors [205]
Full Command

SPECIAL

Bolt Thrower [60]
Engineer

Cannon [125]
Mro Forging

There ya go.

matthewmw64
01-04-2007, 09:21
Thankies :)

Quarellers are Crossbowmen right?

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 09:31
They are indeed. If you can make it in for a game one sunday I'll happily give you one.

School is pretty much over tomorrow, so expect updates aplenty.

matthewmw64
01-04-2007, 09:34
Id love game some sunday but im missing one important thing. 1000 Points of Warhammer :(

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 09:47
Well when you get your stirland done, I'll be waiting :D :p

So, no-one wants to post eh? Those damn Sci Fi Project loggers too good for the peasantry of the fantasy logs, doing all the hard rank and file work?! Nevermind, onwards and upwards :rolleyes:

Yay, got to the second page without abandoning the log! :D

matthewmw64
01-04-2007, 09:49
Woo party time!!

bert n ernie
01-04-2007, 13:59
Yeah, it is one of those problems. No one seems to check poor fantasy logs. The thing is crazy people paint every figure so so beautifully in 40k that no one else has a chance. I'm not saying that you can't in Fantasy, I'm just saying there is no point unless you play Ogres.

I'd like to see more pics, tho I'm not pushed by Dwarves normally.
I like yours, but perhaps some chestnut/flesh wash on the beards?
The gold is really well kept, looks surprisingly well applied and inked.
Well done!

Lord Lucifer
01-04-2007, 14:37
I hate painting skin. Thanks all for your support, this is the most I have painted in many a week. :D

Keep the C&C coming.

The last picture is pants. Much apoligies. Hopfully my photography will improve as the log progresses. Any thoughts on how to improve it?

You're using a flash with your camera, right?

If so, the white background is what's doing it. Camera's taking notice of all the white, everything's darker by comparison.
Directional lighting may be a better option.
I go for Painfully Bright bulbs in Lamps With Bendy Necks So I Can Fiddle Around With Positioning For Half An Hour

I learned my mistake when, thinking I was photographing Luthor Huss, I actually took a photo of The Ghost of Luthor Huss on the Bright White Plains of Tablecloth (incidentally the name of the next Black Library novel)

For killing the pastel effect of the orange, I'm not sure I can suggest anything.
My normal method of killing the bright happy colours is adding black and some other colour to the paint.
The black darkens the colour incredibly well... too effectively, really, because it stainds the colour so much, with even a tiny amount. The other colour I add is basically to neuter that effect and still darken and dull it.
With greens I add a touch of black, and some brown, before bringing the colour back up to the look I want with a fair helping of more green.
For blue, it's black and gray.

As I said, I'm not sure if that'll work with orange.
Fantastic for my more natural-toned Lord of the Rings figures, for dark colours, but Orange doesn't often do 'dark'
So if anything, I'd suggest a tiny touch of black, and then some warm browns, and bring it back up with the desired orange.

Let me know how you get on so I can avoid making the same mistake if it looks like cack :)

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 21:16
Ah well hopefully more posters will come as I start getting on to warmachines and the like.

I'm not using the flash on my camera (I don't think soa nyway), although I am brightening up the overall picture in Picasa. I have one of said lamps, but getting my hands on anther one is a little bit of a problem.

Maybe I like the pastel effect. Seems old worldish to wear a completely impractical uniform.

I'll try to have those quarrelers finished tonight, and start on the next 3. Hopefully I can have the regiment done for tuesday or wednesday. Then its a pinting frenzy to beat Lord Lucifer and his swordsmen.

HolySanguinius
01-04-2007, 21:55
@ Bert and ernie - Suprisingly, I hate painting gold the most. It is the most time consuming. Maybe the pictures are bad, but the beards are scorched brown, drybrush bestial brown, drybrush 50/50 bestial to snakebite. IRL it wouldn't benefit from a wash.

Cheers.

bert n ernie
01-04-2007, 23:15
I've actually just finished a unit with dark orange in it.
I based that part with a red/dark flesh(other v. dark brown is ok). Basically cow poo brown. Then I had a strong highlight of red gore, which was almost not even a highlight at all. More just a slab of paint. Then Red gore mixed with blazing orange for the main colour. Then a little highlight of blazing orange by itself followed by the tinyest bit of sunburst yellow and blazing orange for the extreme highlights. If my camera wasn't out of battery I'd update it in my project log now(in sig)
I'll update tomorrow to show you.

Its funny you say you hate painting gold the most. Maybe that's what makes you good at it. It certainly seems you've spent time on it. And I knwo how it is with beards. I'm having a similar problem taking pics of a banner that has loads of highlighting but just looks dull in many areas on camera.
Keep it up!

HolySanguinius
02-04-2007, 01:53
Thanks for the encouragement bert n ernie. I'll be over to check out your log.

I'm doing the skin as we speak, but I'm not doing the eyes atm. I'm just concentrating on getting them to tabletop quality.

The thing is, I have done so many orange troops by now, a wash or the like would save me so much time compared to going back over the current orange. Thoughts?

Update to come tonight.

Cheers. :D

matthewmw64
02-04-2007, 05:51
Aaaargh I wanna do a projecty log with my not so well painted Tau. But I ahve no Camera :( :( :(

HolySanguinius
02-04-2007, 08:45
Updates for all.

Some rather pants pictures, but pictures none the less.

The four finished quarrelers.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/CompleteQuarrelers1-3.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/CompleteQuarrelers1-2.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/CompleteQuarrelers1-1.jpg

C&C ever appreciated, my loyal fans :D

matthewmw64
02-04-2007, 08:49
In the last pic on third guy on the left has a half green hat :confused: :p

Besides that they look awesome as usual

HolySanguinius
02-04-2007, 10:11
Wow, thats weird. I just checked IRL, and no green hat whatsoever.

3 more quarrlers to go, then I am on to something a bit more interesting, the thunderers. I'll try get an entire unit shot up by wednesday or thursday.

matthewmw64
02-04-2007, 10:35
Really? How bizaare...

mousekiller
02-04-2007, 20:09
I really like what you did with the helmets on these, I usually do mine with metallics, but that color really brings some color to them.

Great work, keep it up.

HolySanguinius
03-04-2007, 07:19
Thanks mouse killer. Won't get any updates up tonight, as I am xobox 360ing today. Just finished exams and I need to de-stress.

Cheers all. Keep the encouragement coming.

bert n ernie
03-04-2007, 18:37
So paintign is stressful eh?
I knwo that feeling, even though I usually am doign it to unwind, tehre's just time I can't get teh effect I want and its stressful.
Well, I quite like these fellas. I've seen too many dwarves with just metal and snow, these guys will definitely stick out. The skin looks brilliantly detailed too.
I can't see it entirely accurately, but the skin looks like the best b=part of those guys IMO.

HolySanguinius
03-04-2007, 19:54
Thanks all, I just didn't feel I could concentrate. I'll try to get some better pictures, possibly in the daylight rather than using a lightbulb.

The colourscheme does seem to grow on a person :rolleyes: :p :D

Back to the grindstone, hopefully the final 3 quarrelers will be forthcoming soon.

Thanks

Lord Lucifer
04-04-2007, 14:23
Yeah, natural lighting will do wonders for those pics.
I also like the amount of colour you've put into them, really shows the clannish nature of the Dwarf peoples, their pride in culture and heritage.
You working on any clan heraldry?
After thousands of years of their empire, I'd imagine any form of iconography or heraldry they pick up to honour their forefathers, would be quite extensive and, complex, intricate and detailed. And most important of all, as it would be the living history of the clan, bloody interesting!

ARGHHH!!!
I wanna paint my Dwarf army DAMNIT TO HELL!
I hate you with a jealous passion, HS!

My challenge unit isn't doing too well, had a clinic appointment that took way too long on monday, had to write-up stuff for the club newsletter on tuesday (LONG process!), and today I was called into work early (stupid Easter rush)
I'm getting my ass kicked, barely half the unit assembled.
I'll still challenge you, though. My painting's been delayed this week, but next week the yellow and black shall be represented, believe me.

Hope you're destressed and get to those... wait, exams in APRIL?
What sick trick is that?
De-stress, lad, and then back to the oathstone/grindstone

HolySanguinius
05-04-2007, 00:07
Worked a little bit on the theme. Thisis just a basic bacjbone and needs to built up alot.

After the end of the golden age during the goblin wars, the clan (name not yet decided) migrated to the Grey Mountains in search of prosperity and they are one of the starting clans that make up what will eventually be Karak Norn.

After many weeks of hard travel, the dwarfs had almost reached their destination, when they were set upon by a large force of orcs. When all looked to be lost and the dwarfs were surrounded, men of the provence of the Reikland marched on to the battle field sweeping all asunder.

To this day the dwarfs of clan (unknown) honour the courage of these men, by including a bright orange on every dwarfs armour to represent the debt that they hold.

The dwarfs have constantly keep up trade with the men of the Reik, and in times of war the dwarfs to not easily forget their debt.

Yeah my school has exams every term. :cries:

I'll be back to the oathstone soon:D , finishing off the final quarrelers.

All the thunderers (my challenge unit) are assembled and undercoated, so looks like I'm in the lead :p

HolySanguinius
07-04-2007, 10:01
Despite the lack of replys I forge onward, leaning my shoulder to the oathstone. What a week it has been. Managed to get the regiment mostly finished, just a few details to tidy up here and there.

I spent most of this week pinning my Warmachine Menoth Battle box, so forgive the lack of progress.

On to the pictures!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/DSC01437-2.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/DSC01439.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/DSC01436-1.jpg

C&C appreciated.

matthewmw64
07-04-2007, 10:16
I like them.

They look Awesome in fact. Looks like you beat pete at least :D

Did you do the movement tray yourself?

HolySanguinius
07-04-2007, 10:27
Cheers Matt.

I did do the movement trays myself. Bought the untextured one's, and they are yet to get a bit of snow on them.

mousekiller
07-04-2007, 23:57
Much better pictures. Great work.

HolySanguinius
08-04-2007, 01:31
Cheers Mousekiller

I've been trying to fiddle round with the photography a little bit. Going to play some games with them today hopefuly.

Bolt Thrower up next.

matthewmw64
08-04-2007, 01:35
Wooo Bolt thrower :D

Dude, when do you go to BH?

HolySanguinius
08-04-2007, 01:54
I'm leaving right now. Time = 12.45.

matthewmw64
08-04-2007, 01:57
I see. Good luck :)

matthewmw64
09-04-2007, 07:42
How goeth the Bolt Thrower??

HolySanguinius
09-04-2007, 08:07
Ok, I admit it. I caved. I promised myself I wouldn't paint the thane until the end to give myself something to look forward to, but I couldn't help myself :rolleyes: :D

HolySanguinius
09-04-2007, 08:20
To stave off the need for warmachines, I have this, in lieu of the bolt thrower. :D

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/CannonCrew.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/Cannon.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/CannonandCrew.jpg

matthewmw64
09-04-2007, 08:28
They look goooood :D

HolySanguinius
09-04-2007, 08:37
Cheers mate. Hopefully the thane won't be far away either.

Anyone else, feel free to post :rolleyes:

bert n ernie
09-04-2007, 10:43
Oh, right yeah... I was just watching from afar again...;)
I think this crew is my favuorite unit from what you've done so far. They are just very crisp and nicely done. I like the chrome dome with the cannon ball.

My only criticism on the unit is that it may enhance the looks if you co-ordinate the snow on the bases with the movement tray. Its especially true for a base of brown and white, as it would really make it a lot nicer and makes it look like you've put in a lot of effort.

HolySanguinius
09-04-2007, 11:24
@ Bert and ernie - Yes, lots of people seem to be doing that (1000 views and 50 posts) Thanks for the C&C. I'll try to line them up, as I haven't put snow on the movement trays yet.

I'm thinking of trying to pick up some light bown static grass to represent tussock. Thoughts?

nkicik
09-04-2007, 15:57
Cannon and crew all look very nice, beautifully clean painting and an improvement on (the aleady good) units above. I'd like to add something more constructive but there's not really much room for improvement.

HolySanguinius
09-04-2007, 23:17
Thanks for the envouragement mate, today I'm looking at at least starting the thanes cloak.

Pics tonight hopefully.

mousekiller
10-04-2007, 00:19
Great update with that war machine, really came out well. Only quip I have is that it is not based, but that is more of a personal preference. I think this bad boy would look kick @$$ on top of a bit of cork, based ontop of a cd or something, with enough room for the crew to stand...

Marcel
10-04-2007, 01:02
excellant work, very warm. i escpecially like the backdrop, very old school GW 'eavy metal.

HolySanguinius
10-04-2007, 07:44
Updates time.

At first glance, it would apper I haven't done much.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/ThaneFrontWIP.jpg

But this took me ages to get right, and its my first real go at layering using more than 1 highlight (a la my core units)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/ThaneBackWIP.jpg

I ran out of skull white so it is missing the final 2 highlights.

Along the bottom of the cloak will be either a blue or a orange line, I'm leaning toward blue, but convince me otherwise.

Bad pictures :(

matthewmw64
10-04-2007, 09:41
I really need to learn how to highlight sometime :D

Anyway it looks really good :)

Lord Lucifer
10-04-2007, 13:34
Blue will contrast better.
With all the gold/bronze, the brown, and the 'warm' white, blue is the logical colour to trim the robe with

HolySanguinius
10-04-2007, 20:24
Thanks guys. I'll try to do the beard on him today. Or possibly the gold sections. Or the metal sections. Not sure.

I'll post pic's later on.

brutalbarbarian
11-04-2007, 06:33
may i suggest that for places such as the horns on the helm, u paint the horn and the bit connecting the horn to the helm in different colours rather then gold? gives it a bit more contrast, just an idea.

Blue would defintly look good, contrasts well with the rest, orange would just simply clash horrbily, espically in the area u're using it. Could i also suggest that maybe u could do with a slightly more colour gradual change on the cloak, cause for some reason, his cloak from the back looks a tad bit too bright, maybe another layer of wash?

Anyway, overall, looking good, espically with the cloak.

bert n ernie
11-04-2007, 12:06
Yep, brutal is right. I think the cloak has gotta have a blue rim.
I think it looks alriht with the current colour highlights at the moment.
The trick with this guy will be ensuring you don't add too many colours. You already have a bright striking colour scheme, if you add too many other colours it'll look too much (like that banner with the skull I did ;) )

mousekiller
11-04-2007, 12:58
The cloak might be ok after your final two highlights, just be really extreme with them to eccentuate the base color. I would go with blue also.

Looking really good, can't wait to see more.

HolySanguinius
11-04-2007, 21:12
Ugh, I had a shocker of a day yesterday. Nothing went right witht the cloak.

I'll try to get the cloak done today, and I'm heading into GW to play some games with the dwarfs. I'll post some reports.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Marcel
11-04-2007, 21:40
the orange and blue is nice. complimentary colors.

HolySanguinius
13-04-2007, 02:57
Update time. I'd say the thanes looking about 50% done at the moment. Had a game against skaven and lost, he got a solid victory by just a few points.

Anway, on to the pictures.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/ThaneFrontWIP1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/pacman1612/ThaneBackWIP1.jpg

What do you think? I tried taking the photo's under natural light this time.

C&C appreciated.

Dino
13-04-2007, 03:29
That Thane is really nice man and so is the other stuff you got. Can't wait see what else you get done.

HolySanguinius
13-04-2007, 03:31
Thanks man. Made a bit more progress, I have started on the gold. Pics tonight hopefully, depending on what comes up. :D

mousekiller
13-04-2007, 18:00
Really coming along. That yellow is coming out nicely, and I think will be even more evident once you get the fur on the cloak highlighted up a bit.

armos
14-04-2007, 01:10
I like the Thane's cloak very much, you've chosen your colour palette very well, the warm, neutral colours offset the bright blues and oranges very nicely, the shading on the cloak is nice too

This is certainly going to be a very striking army when seen all together... looking forward to that ;)

keep up the good work

HolySanguinius
14-04-2007, 02:45
Wow, high praise from two of the best fantasy loggers on the forums.

Thanks guys. The one month to go mark is approaching fast, and I have 1 bolt thrower, the crew, 30% of the thane, 3 thunderers and 12 warriors to go. :rolleyes: :(

Dspankdo
14-04-2007, 02:57
What day is conflict James? I might have to come down and have a look around.

HolySanguinius
14-04-2007, 05:40
Its Saturday the 19th of May.