PDA

View Full Version : Very "short" campaigns

Fastforward rlz
01-04-2007, 15:00
A friend of mine came up with a pretty good Idea I think. What if we held a sort of "lock in" at my house and started a campaign and played through the night? 5 people maybe in a one night campaign. What would be the best way to go about it? How should we determine the winner of the campaign ect.

Toppan
02-04-2007, 03:35
which friend?

anyway, i like the idea, but im not sure how motivated the players would be. i know that if pulled off, the idea is nice, but would take work.

as for winners, you could make a storyline. so and so is collecting wyrdstone or so and so wants the hardest warband...bing...

so and so wants the toughest meanest strongest brutalest warband ever to combat an evil that plagues him, and goes to mordheim to make the contest.

whoever wins that contest plays a special scenario, if they win, they win, if not...the people that lost the first contest get a chance. whoever wins that scenario wins.

what do you think?

Fastforward rlz
02-04-2007, 18:34
It was tractors remember? hahaha. Well I think I would ask for warband background and a list of members then write the story line from there. I don't really want to do like winner vs. some scenario warband, but now that I think about it we could do really funny scenarios because I'm thinking this will not be very serious with Me, you, bylan, nathan, tractors and maybe zak playing...

iso2210
07-04-2007, 12:15
If your players are motivated enough, then you can probably pull it off.

I see 3 problems however:

1) The number of games played will be very limited, because you will run out of miniatures and equipment for your models very fast as the warriors of your warband improve and you purchase new recruits.

I don't know about you, but i run a rather strict "what you see is what you get" policy on my table: ALL models MUST be painted and the weapons carried should really be REPRESENTED on the miniatures.

I find it very difficult to remember the exact equipment of every single warrior, from every single opposing warband (we're four players), and the photos (you want souvenirs, don't you?) look crappy when the models are unpainted imo.

Now, you can of course ignore my point. Not everybody wants painted minis.

2) One night is short. Especially if your warbands already count additional models and if you are more than 2 players. It takes a long time for each round to finish when each player has his own turn... Plus, experience shows that there are ALWAYS last minute fixes to be made, because you cannot plan every single possibility ahead, unless you prepare for months. So plan-in some buffer time.

3) You'll get very tired! Don't underestimate how exhausting it can be to run campaing-games, even if you only play 3-4 in a row. What if you surrender to sleep around 4 a.m. and have to cancel the campaign? That would be an unpleasant experience.

To put it in a nutshell: Mordheim is about having fun. Why rush throug it in ONE night? Why not make the fun last? Why not THREE game-days, so the players have time to prepare inbetween.

But then again, that is only my humble opinion.

Let us know how it turned out! Hoping to hear from you and good luck! :)