PDA

View Full Version : Nightwing and bases

Anathema
01-04-2007, 23:15
OK, I've got some Nightwings, but they have no slot on the underside for the base to attach to. So, I would like to know how you good people suggest I attach the flying bases? Drill holes? Cut away the top part of the stand and glue? Answers on a postcard please.....

untimention
01-04-2007, 23:22
i spent today glueing dark eldar hellions to slate and i had 2 say its a pain in the ****. What i suggest is to file a flat surface on the model and cut the top bit away from the flying base

marv335
01-04-2007, 23:38
I had the same problems with my lightnings and marauders.
I drilled holes in the base with a pin vice.

mageboltrat
02-04-2007, 00:01
Nightwings are delicate. so storing them on their bases might not be wise. What my friends have done is drill a 3mm hole in the base of the nightwing and mounted a 3mm rare earth magnet (http://www.shop4tools.co.uk/acatalog/Neodymium_Magnets.html). He then cut off the top of the transparent rod, filed it down and put a corresponding magnet on the top of it.

rev
02-04-2007, 00:05
What my friends have done

DON'T YOU MEAN WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?!

and me for that matter..

oops caps

mageboltrat
02-04-2007, 04:30
Do you think I would sully my hands with pointy eared space elves of doom?

rev
02-04-2007, 10:21
true... true.

Anathema
02-04-2007, 10:58
I'm thinking of drilling a small hole in the bottom of the nightwing and the same in the stand (with the top bit cut off) and then using wire to pin (but without gluing it to the nightwing0, just like pinning a larger scale model. Sound feasible? You could see the wire in the base, but it would hopefully work without having to stick the model permanently to the base.

rev
02-04-2007, 11:07
should work, though i'm not sure how easy it'd be to drill a straight hole in the brittle flyer stand.

Magnets would work better (if your drilling into the nightwing anyway) up here in cambs we use 3x1mm rare earth frmo any of the ebay retailers. I got 30 for 2.

rev

Murderous Monkey
02-04-2007, 11:22
I simply glued a 2mm rare earth magnet to the base of my nightwings. This meant that a) I didn't have to risk doing serious damage to my nightwings and b) they appear to be turning in mid flight.

It works rather well, I suspect I'll be doing the same thing with my other aircraft (the two Phoenix fighters I have to assemble today, for example).

EDIT: Obviously I also attached the same size magnet to my flying stand (clipping off the thinner section that's normall inserted into the models). I'd also echo the advice to under no circumstances glue the nightwings to the base - transport would become a lot harder and the models are rather fragile.

mageboltrat
02-04-2007, 12:02
the top of a flying stand with the thin rod cut off is exactly the right size for a 3mm.

Murderous Monkey
02-04-2007, 12:53
A valid point, but because I wasn't drilling I decided to use smaller magnets - to make sure as much of the magnet as possible was flush to the model. Its my first experiment with magnets but I found that the 3mm magnets seemed to be powerful enough to rip each other off the nightwing...

2mm was strong enough to hold the model with no risk of coming apart and easy to get some attractive angles on too. Maybe I'm just too tentative with the fellows, but I'll definitely be using a 3mm for the Vampire!

ANotherFarseer
09-04-2007, 17:43
magnets are the way to go here as has been stated above

mattjgilbert
10-04-2007, 14:01
Yeah - here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68919) is the step-by-step I posted on magnets a few months back.

mageboltrat
10-04-2007, 22:26
Do you mind if I edit that and post it on aerowiki.

mattjgilbert
11-04-2007, 12:18
Not at all. Tuck in :)

I even linked you :D http://www.thedragonstears.com/links.htm

Anathema
16-04-2007, 13:11
Just a quick thanks to everyone who suggested using magnets, I magnetised all of my bases yesterday with 2mm magnets and they work a treat. Highly reccomended technique.

Math Mathonwy
16-04-2007, 14:53
should work, though i'm not sure how easy it'd be to drill a straight hole in the brittle flyer stand.
It's easy as pie.

What I did (and I don't suggest this to anyone but the most dedicated of masochists) is that I drilled two holes (2mm diameter) on the plane and inserted magnets in them. Then I took two strips of plasticard. In one, I drilled two holes to match the magnets on the plane. On the second strip, I drilled one hole in the center and then I glued the strips together. Then, through the middle hole, I drilled a smaller hole (0.8mm) for a brassrod. I shortened the additional stick in the flying stick to the thickness of the plasticard and drilled a 0.8mm hole in the flying stick. Then a rod through there and a good gluing to the plasticard. Add the magnets to the sockets in the plasticard and voila! A non-spinning plane powerfully magnetized.

Takes a bit of work but as there are so few planes, I'm willing to go through that extra mile in order to get it to work. For the Orca I will probably use more magnets.