PDA

View Full Version : What's a no-brainer?

Gutlord Grom
02-04-2007, 16:09
I'm not trying to start an argument, I just need to understand the term no brainer.
(as in a squad of x is a know brainer for army A)

fracas
02-04-2007, 16:10
"no brainer" = so obvious that a brain is not required to recognize it

Rabid Bunny 666
02-04-2007, 16:10
Its an option that should be taken that does not need a brain to work out that it is needed.

edit: goddamn it... :D

Captain Micha
02-04-2007, 16:14
for example, a no brainer is taking the ass cannon on a landspeeder rather than the multimelta

taking crisis teams instead of vespids

Immortals instead of Pariah...

Onisuzume
02-04-2007, 16:25
A character instead of no character. :p
Terminator Honours on C:SM characters is another.

Manyac
02-04-2007, 16:36
another brainer example just imagine that the Ass Cannon returns to the IG Sentinel :p ;)

No IG army will take less than 9 sentinels (3 squads of 3) :angel:

kortholaxthedamned
02-04-2007, 16:43
another brainer example just imagine that the Ass Cannon returns to the IG Sentinel :p ;)

Why take 9 when you could take 12 (three squads of 3, one squad in the command platoon)

xibo
02-04-2007, 18:07

Mine go with 4 squads of 3, all with multilasers :D

prefering asscannons to heavy flamers or missile launchers for terminators is another... prefering asscannons to lascannons, plascannons or heavy bolters on dreadnaughts is the next...
in fact the assault cannon is the best (shooting) weapon and considering its point cost to scary CC stuff's its the best weapon at all in the game... it's ridiculous how it can be the cheapest weapon for a dreadnaugt...

Or prefering dire avengers over guardians...

Onisuzume
02-04-2007, 20:31
prefering asscannons to heavy flamers or missile launchers for terminators is another... prefering asscannons to lascannons, plascannons or heavy bolters on dreadnaughts is the next...
in fact the assault cannon is the best (shooting) weapon and considering its point cost to scary CC stuff's its the best weapon at all in the game... it's ridiculous how it can be the cheapest weapon for a dreadnaugt...
I don't prefer assault cannons on anything.
I even prefer the missile launcher on my terminators, and twin autocannons on my dread.

But yeah, the dire avengers over guardians is a pretty obvious one.

xibo
02-04-2007, 20:42
I don't prefer assault cannons on anything.
I even prefer the missile launcher on my terminators, and twin autocannons on my dread.

most probably that's because your asscannons are more expensive than those of the blue painted (tactical) dreadnaughts :o

Ahh.. I just remembered of another... it's called berserker glaive :evilgrin:

Red_Lep
02-04-2007, 21:06
in fact the assault cannon is the best (shooting) weapon

Except if you have the brains to move the units in range each turn so you stay 25 inches away. That adds up to 40 points of nada(what my opponents would do when I ran a two assault cannon DW army)

Skyth
02-04-2007, 22:19
A 'no brainer' is anything that your opponent has that you have to actually use different tactics to overcome.

Grimtuff
02-04-2007, 23:09
Ahh.. I just remembered of another... it's called berserker glaive :evilgrin:

With Stature too, otherwise you still get some of it's disadvantages. :rolleyes:

A 'no brainer' is anything that your opponent has that you have to actually use different tactics to overcome.

How so? (Aside from the fact your comment is laced with obvious sarcasm) If something is a "No Brainer" it is seen on the tabletop all the time, so tactics will develop around these units. Surely it is the more uncommon units you have to modify your tactics for.

Skyth
02-04-2007, 23:50
I just here whining about 'unbeatable' units that are no brainers alot around here. Most of them are quite easy to counter if you use tactics.

Ronin_eX
03-04-2007, 00:34
Easy to counter but boring to face. Diversity is a much better design choice in most cases. Taking away no brainers simply opens up diversity. Just look at C: E and C: DA and you can see all of the actual options in them (not simply options for the sake of options) that will make each army unique.

Stella Cadente
03-04-2007, 00:35
I just here whining about 'unbeatable' units that are no brainers alot around here. Most of them are quite easy to counter if you use tactics.

Yep, the most popular are 2 terminator assault cannons, and the Infamous man las/plas unts, so easy to counter

terminators, just stay out of range
las/plas, just kill 4 measly men
badda bing badda boom

Groksnag
03-04-2007, 01:26
No Brainer = lots of da Boys and BigShootas!

Lyinar
03-04-2007, 01:40
5LP and 6LP are horribly easy to render ineffective... Just pour massive amounts of firepower into them... Or just deploy a Forlorn Hope unit (like Berzerkers or Death Company) where they can charge them.

Prince Facestab
03-04-2007, 02:21
A no-brainer doesn't need to be unbeatable or even good. It just needs to be an obvious choice.

Many of the above examples are good examples of no-brainers. But there are other no-brainers that hardly have a game effect, like taking the doctrine close order drill if you've got an extra doctrine slot to blow.

Oh, and I don't think that it's a no-brainer to take dire avengers over guardians. Guardians are a good place to stow an IC while still having some effect at 36", and a good way to get more bodies on the table for cheap.

MaliGn
03-04-2007, 02:56
Right, now I thought that the ansewer to this thread was a "no-brainer" yet here I find half a dozen people arguing over specific "no-brainer" units when the answer to the OP's question was in the second and (mistimed) third posts! incredible!

Gutlord Grom
03-04-2007, 04:00
Right, now I thought that the ansewer to this thread was a "no-brainer" yet here I find half a dozen people arguing over specific "no-brainer" units when the answer to the OP's question was in the second and (mistimed) third posts! incredible!

You must be new here ;) .

fwacho
03-04-2007, 04:18
'No-brainer"
-does not require use of brain to choose.
-in 40k refers to an option that would just be plain stupid not to take.
...the resons for this boil down to great value for minimal points cost.
... the item in question will usually add some kind of survivability to the model or squad
... It might also make something exceptionally lethal.

... over all it means an option so good that there are NO other options.

MaliGn
03-04-2007, 04:52
You must be new here ;) .

check the post count....

WLBjork
03-04-2007, 11:29
In other words, most questions tend to develop into arguments that are linked only by a tenuous reality.

Rarely, they descend into flame wars.

ArtificerArmour
03-04-2007, 11:32

I wouldn't have 40K general any other way...:p

nazrag
03-04-2007, 15:09
no-brainer= playing marines as a starter army :p

Griffin
03-04-2007, 15:58

I disagree - they have different roles - Dire avengers are Anti Infantry and Guardians are Heavy Support - or should I say Weapons support.

But for me there are no - no brainer choices, the closest I come to that is picking runes of witnessing every game.