PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings in Warbands

TKitch
03-04-2007, 04:26
My store is starting Warhammer Warbands, and I think I'm going to play TK in them. (I was just handed 2 battalions for them, so I've got plenty to start with)

I know the 200 point starting limit will be a painful thing for them.

I'm thinking of fielding this to start:

5x Tomb Guard (w/Champion) 72 points

5x Skeleton Bowmen (40 points)

7x HW&S Skeletons Full Command (88 points)

that's 200 points in full right there. I figure the Banner is worth it on the Skels, as it'll prevent one skeleton from getting offed from combat resolution. (Or on a good day, it'll balance the res out!)

Or Option 2 for a list:

5x Heavy Cav 80pts
6x Heavy Cav (Champion) 110pts

Only 11 models, but all cav, and I'd probably get waxed ;)

Option 3:

5x Skel Bowmen
5x Skel Bowmen
10x Skel Spears (Full Command)

A second rank for a few extra attacks, and the banner to offset one casualty in combat.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

(My first buy with points after this will be a Liche, or it'll be really quick.)

Rodman49
03-04-2007, 06:07
I'm thinking of fielding this to start:

5x Tomb Guard (w/Champion) 72 points

5x Skeleton Bowmen (40 points)

7x HW&S Skeletons Full Command (88 points)

that's 200 points in full right there. I figure the Banner is worth it on the Skels, as it'll prevent one skeleton from getting offed from combat resolution. (Or on a good day, it'll balance the res out!)

I like this list, only thing I might change is taking out 5 Bowmen Skelies and adding a chariot (I believe you can only have one in Warbands, but it will give you a little more mobility and flanking ability).

Cragspyder
03-04-2007, 19:59
Seems like a decent list :)

With the warbands rules, warbands with a Unit Champion or Icon Bearer as leader grant units with full command 1 incantation per magic phase at a power level of d6. This can be any of the 4 incantations....EVEN VENGEANCE!

So your HW and Shield skellies could be spamming magic missiles as they walk forward :)

EDIT: Crap, I just noticed.... You can't take that first list unfortunately. Units need to be at least minimum strength before they can buy command models. The minimum unit strength for both Tomb Guard and Skeleton Warriors is 10 :(

So I would consider the third list, except replace 5 Skeletal Bowmen with a chariot. Note that with Tomb Kings you can have a single unit of 1-3 chariots, though that isn't applicable at 200 points. Just remember that that Skeleton Warrior Champion counts as both your General AND Hierophant. So if he dies, you start taking crumble checks.

eyeolas
03-04-2007, 21:46
I would take:

5 Light horses with command 98
5 Light horses with command 98

you can cast spells so repair the lost skeles as you shoot, then charge opposed units. Note the magority of opponents will either have no more than 2 units with a highish leadership or 3-4 with low leadership. It could be fairly easy to chase down a few units after you charge, but be sure to thin them down with bow fire first

TKitch
04-04-2007, 03:36
I saw that trick today with the units and full command.

I started with 2 units of 10 archers. Well, needless to say, it didn't go so well.

I got wiped the first 2 fights, and forced a draw in #3.

I now have 2 units of 10 skelies full command & 1 chariot (May get more soon!)

I should use vengance more, I've been using Smiting, but vengance would work better overall...