PDA

View Full Version : Wild Riders question

Crube
30-07-2005, 10:24
OK, I realise its a bit early, but under the special rules for the Wild Riders, 'The Fury of Kurnous' it states

'On any round of combat in which the Wild Riders did not charge they gain +1 Attack'

Does that sond right to you - when they DONT charge, they get +1A, but through anouther rule 'The Wild Hunt' they cause fear???

Am I missing something here :confused:

Cenyu
30-07-2005, 10:35
If they did not charge in a turn they fight with +1 attack.

On the turn they charge they cause fear.

What is the problem?

Griefbringer
30-07-2005, 11:50
I guess Crube is thinking that it might make more sense for them to get the extra attack when they are charging, instead of getting it when holding their ground.

T10
30-07-2005, 11:52
Apart from it being a bit counter-intuitive, that appears to be correct.

-T10

librerian_samae
30-07-2005, 12:02
I think its to represent them getting a bit miffed that they didnt get the charge, and therefore trying to hack their way out of a prolonged combat they dont want to be in, they are hunters after all not attritionists...

T10
30-07-2005, 12:06
I really can't think of any fluff that would justify a model getting *more* combat power in a prolonged struggle. I guess GW figured it would be a cool games-mechanic and shoe-horned it in. As if the Wood -

Uh, I'll spare you any rants on the Wood Elves. I haven't even seen the book. :-)

-T10

Xavier
30-07-2005, 13:46
Its in any round they do not charge, where as on the charge they cause fear.

"in combat the spirit of kurnous imbues the wild riders with deadly vigour"

theirs your justification :rolleyes:

Griefbringer
30-07-2005, 14:19
"in combat the spirit of kurnous imbues the wild riders with deadly vigour"

So they get more excited once they really get into killing. Well, passable for me - except if the wording is as described, they also get that bonus if they are charged (though I guess charging them is not the easiest prospect).

Xavier
30-07-2005, 16:41
Yea, they get it even when charged, I guess im ok with it, I mean for what they are they are nice and characterful and one of the wood elfs few decent hard hitting units now since dryads got nerfed, though they are still useful

malisteen
30-07-2005, 17:13
I think the origional concept of these guys had them using the double-ended spears like the eternal guard. On the turn they charged they would hold them at one end like a spear and get the spear bonus for charging cavalry. After that they would hold them in the middle and fight like they had two hand weapons, gaining +1 attack. But then either the sculptor forgot to model them that way, or they remembered that mounted models can't use additional hand weapons, and they just made it an unrelated special rule.

Crube
30-07-2005, 18:38
Fair enough, it's just the way I read the fluff, it was more like they were imbued with eagerness and battlelust and went kicking off after the enemy

I think the fear thing will be well used, but you have to then think, well, if I can get them to charge me, then I get an extra attack each.

Gives you the option of hanging back with them, which to me is the opposite of what they should be...

Thanks folks

Cenyu
31-07-2005, 09:09
Yea, they get it even when charged, I guess im ok with it, I mean for what they are they are nice and characterful and one of the wood elfs few decent hard hitting units now since dryads got nerfed, though they are still useful

For a core unit @ 12 points IŽd hardly call them nerfed. :eyebrows:

Xavier
31-07-2005, 10:31
Compared to what they once were they are, They are made core, so had to lose somthing and a 20 point core model for a spirit list would have been bad.

Simon23
31-07-2005, 11:27
Everything WE`s have lost in dryads they have gained in treekin.
Quit complaining. :p

Crazy Harborc
01-08-2005, 02:08
Somehow I think a lot of older metal Dryads will be seeing the battlefield as Treekin standins. Been painting up the new improved plastic ones.

To give GW credit, the minies are good. So far they are going together well. I have eyeballed and dry fitted a couple of the Warhawks......bit of filing and scraping.