PDA

View Full Version : Battle Report 1,500 Pts High Elves vs. Wood Elves

eagletsi1
03-04-2007, 15:18
I wrote this quickly and have checked it briefly, please go easy on me.

Wood Elves:

Mayrath - Altar – HOD, GW, Helm of Hunt
Landor - BSB, 3+ Ward Save. Sword of Might
Jacora - Wizard Level 2, Dispel Scroll

Eternal Guard, 20, War Banner
5 Wild Riders of Khurnos
10 Glade Guard
5 Scouts
Treeman
8 Dryads
3 Warhawk Riders

High Elves:

Tendal - Commander, BSB, Armour of Gods, Sword of Might.
Caeth - Commander, Reaver Bow
Alios - Wizard, Level 2, Dispel Scroll

15 Spear Elves (Joined by Alios)
15 SwordMasters (Joined by Tendal)
15 Lothern Seaguard (Joined by Caeth)

5 Shadow Warriors
5 Silver Helms
1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

Prologue:

Caeth had been chosen to lead his army even though he was a ranged warrior, which is a rare honor indeed. He was determined to prove he was up to the job. His army waited on the outer edge of Malko Forest for his Shadow Warriors to re-appear. The Shadow Warriors returned bringing news of a Wood Elven army on the march towards Tor Eranon. Caeth has been told to stop all invaders from reaching Tor Eranon, and even though they were elves he knew they must be stopped. He surveyed the area and saw a large fast running stream (Very Difficult Ground) and decided to use it to protect his flank he gave the order to prepare for battle…

Battlefield and Deployment:

On the eastern flank a fast flowing stream next to it was a small hill, on which the Repeater Bolt Thrower deployed. Then came the Silver Helms, with the Lothern Sea Guard in straddling the middle of the battlefield with Caeth in a line, the Sword Masters and Tendril next to them and a finally, the Spear Elves with Alios.

Across from the High Elves the Wood Elves had taken up positions. Caeth saw a single elf and a large Treeman enter the woods and disappear. Funny, he thought to himself when he first surveyed the area he must have missed that wood. Behind the woods the Wild Riders, Next to the wood the Dryads and behind them the Eternal Guard lead by Mayrath. Across from them the Glade Guard deployed behind a stone wall with the War Hawk Riders Behind them.

Caeth had seen the mistake, in the wood elf deployment and knew his shadow warriors had hidden in the inlet. Just as he was thinking this the shadow warriors emerged from the Inlet and opened fire on the Wild Riders. 3 Riders were felled in the barrage at the same time the mage Alios summed death magic and killed 4 Glade Guard. Caeth and the Sea Guard opened fire on the Dryads near the trees 3 dryads were felled by the volley, the Repeater bolt thrower opened fire and killed a single Warhawk Rider.

The Wood elves were caught off guard by such a barrage of fire. The Treemen moved towards the Shadow warriors, and the Altar moved to the edge of the woods where he could see the Swordmasters, but still covered from the Repeater by the dense forest. The altar fired a magical arrow that split into many other arrows the Sea Guard were hit, but amazingly only 3 fell to the onslaught. The Glade Guard fired into the Spear Elves killing 3, the War Hawk riders flew around behind the High Elf Lines.

Sensing the time for a charge the Silver Helms crashed into the front of the Dryads, and killed 3, The Dryads held their ground against the onslaught. Caeth could now see the Wood Elf that had hidden in the woods, but knew other targets must go down first. He directed his fire as well as the Sea Guards towards the Glade Guard behind the wall killing 2 more and allowing the Swordmasters and Spear Elves along with Alios to move forward with covering fire. The Repeater Bolt Thrower now opened fire on the Treeman, the bolt struck target but just grazed the Treeman barely hurting him.

The Altar attempting to aid his fellow wood elves charged into the flank of the Silver Helms and killed 3 of them breaking them and running them down in pursuit. The Treemen howled and smashed 3 Shadow Warriors with his massive fists, the remaining 2 swarm away through the river with the Treemen in pursuit. (He failed to Restrain and would be stuck in the river the rest of the game). The Remaining 2 Wild riders rode out in front of the Altar to shield him from fire while at the same time the War Hawk Rider flank charged into the Lothern Sea Guard to prevent them from shooting which would be his last brave act as he was killed by the Sea Guard champion who was ordered to that that side to project the units flank, by Caeth earlier in the battle.

The Repeater Bolt Thrower opened fire and both the remaining Wild Riders were killed in the volley. The Altar realizing he was a target quickly ran through the forest and in front of the Eternal Guard who move behind the forest for protection. The Swordmasters and Spear Elves continued across the battlefield slowly flanking the Eternal Guard while under constant fire from the Glade Guard. More Spear Elves fell and Alios left the Spear Elves and ran to the Swordmasters for protection. The Glade Guard behind the wall were becoming an issue and Caeth directed his Sea Guard to target them, adding his Reaver Bow to the fire. 3 more Glade Guard fell and the Wood Elf wizard also took a wound and arrow. This was too much for them and the fled running off the battlefield.

The way was now clear for Tendal’s Swordmasters and Alios along with the Remaining Spear Elves to close on the Wood Elves. The Repeater opened fire on the Treeman, being the only target it could see, but failed to wound.

Caeth now saw his two units, the Spear Elves and Swordmasters, closing on the Altar and Eternal Guard hiding behind the trees. He called Alios out of the unit and then looked at the depleted unit of Spear Elves, and saw their champion (Reyeth). The champion knew what had to be done. He had to draw the Wood Elves out of hiding, even if it meant sacrificing his own unit. He moved closing daring the Eternal Guard and Altar to charge them. Both did and the Spear Elves fled, they out distanced the Eternal Guard causing them to fail their charge and exposed their flank, but the Altar chased them down and scattered them from the field. This was the plan however, and now the Altar was out in the open and a sitting duck. In a matter of seconds Caeth’s Reaver Bow and hit 3 times killing the lone Wood Elf. At the same time the Swordmasters and Tendal charged into the flank of the Eternal Guard. The Combat was fierce and 4 eternal guards were killed by the Swordmasters with 3 more by the sword of Tendal. Landor was on the other side of the unit and unable to get in combat.

Now Landor frantically moved into combat and challenged Tendal. Tendal struck first and Landor was unable to match the speed of the attacks, all three hit and wounded, Landor’s amulet failed to project him and Landor fell dead. The rest of the Eternal Guard then fled and was cut down by the Swordmasters.

The remaining Treeman, seeing his allies all dead or fleeing left the battlefield.

Massacre to the High Elves.

We never counted, but all he had left was a single Treemen with a single wound.

MalusCalibur
03-04-2007, 15:33
It's fairly well written, but is extremely hard to follow since there are no paragraphs and the narrative isn't split into turns.

From a personal point of view, I'm astonished that the High Elves won. Pleasantly surprised, though: those damned tree huggers give me no end of trouble.

MalusCalibur

eagletsi1
03-04-2007, 21:03
Sorry about that sometimes I have issues when I send things from my Blackberry. I fixed it now.

Felworth
03-04-2007, 21:36
Wow, that was amazing.

I've only fought Wood Elves once and am deathly afraid of them. Admittantly, said enemy army was more woody then elfy but the fear still remains.

If'n I may ask, why did you decide to take death magic? I thought fire was the preferred method of Wood Elf fighting.

Alathir
04-04-2007, 02:21
Nice report...

I'm pretty sure Immune to Psychology units (Treeman..) never have to restrain pursuit however. They automatically pass.

Tutore
04-04-2007, 06:16
Nice. Only one point puzzles me: can a champion be on the flank of his unit?

eagletsi1
04-04-2007, 17:54
Couple of answers.

Yes I always put my champion on the side of the unit that might be charged, so they can only direct attacks at him if I'm in a single line.

Not sure about the Immune to Psy always being able to restrain. I'll have to check that.

The reason I take death is because I like the death spells more. For one, Drain life works on anything, (Treeman, Altar,etc) the spells have my units cause fear can be huge also.

eagletsi

I should be posting another report soon

Xavier
04-04-2007, 18:14
Nah they still need to test to restrain.

Frankly
07-04-2007, 00:57
excellent stuff, that was a great read.

eagletsi1
08-04-2007, 02:12
Thanks everyone.

Howling_Screamer
09-04-2007, 04:09
I loved it.

Ainono
11-04-2007, 03:13
In the 7th edition you can put your commander/character where you want in the front rank of the unit. In the 6th edition you had to have your command group in the middle of the front rank, with your standard bearer being the most centre. That often lead to you having your characters on either the left or right side of your command group.

In a battle you can move your characters around in the front rank wherever you want as long as it's in your movement phase. (Even in combat). Usefull for getting your melee chars in combat, and minimizing the damage to BSB's and Mages. Also a great way to give a Mage LoS to a target.

I prefer the new rules ^^

Back to topic, I'm also amazed that the High Elf player won, especially with soo much. Never seen a good WE player lose a fight. They either massacre someone or keep out of the fight and get a draw. So good played ;) (Though I usually meet or see WE "daemon" armies :rolleyes: ).

LightBulb4631
21-04-2007, 18:52
Nice battle report. GO HIGH ELVES

EvC
22-04-2007, 21:02
Yeah, good to see the pointy-helmed ones getting one over the Wood Elves!

Though the Wood Elf list does seem a lot more "balanced" than most other lists... Eternal Guard and expensive Scouts, very nice. As there's no map of the battlefield I don't know if I should really criticise some of the Wood Elf decisions... like at the start if the Glade Guard had shotat the Sea Guard they might've panicked the unit. The High Elf player certainly had luck on his side, 3 kills against anything from a single round of shooting from Shadow Warriors is amazing!

A good read :)

nieto666
21-05-2007, 16:58
At 1500 pts that has to be the worst WE list ive ever seen!!

eagletsi1
21-05-2007, 17:05
When you say something like that you are supposed to elaborate on it.

Why is it the worst? I don't play wood elves, but I'm curious

nieto666
22-05-2007, 05:59
first and formost only 10 glade guard never a good idea. he's got the idea sort of right with the eternal guard but id keep it at about 15. lose the treeman and field treekin, cheaper point cost wise. scouts serve as a good distraction thats about it. wild riders are a good choice so are the warhawk riders. three hero's in 1500pts is overdoing it in my opinion and a waste of good points. in other words lose the treeman, scouts, and 1 hero. field more dyrads, i.e. regiments of 10 always work beautifully, and more archers 2 regiments of 10 would do nicely. fielding the treeman was the biggest no-no it cost 285pts!!! while three tree kin cost 195pts and can be just as effective if not more if used properly that frees up 90pts which can be used elseware. i never field a treeman in a battle under 2000pts id rather have more glade guard and dyrads heck even wardancers!! but as the saying goes each to their own.

Sauron90
22-05-2007, 10:47
I totaly agree with Nieto666. I dont just think 3 characters is overkill I usally takes 1 in 1500 points to maximise the troops instead.

Kavu
22-05-2007, 12:02
I'm pretty sure Immune to Psychology units (Treeman..) never have to restrain pursuit however. They automatically pass.

Immune to psychology with the new rules specificaly gives you immunity to fear, terror & panic. Even the undead have to test to restrain pursuit.

Note that restraining pursuit is a leadership test not a psychology test, so even in the 6th units immune to psychology had to test to restrain pursuit.

eagletsi1
22-05-2007, 15:51
Yep thats what I thought

Glorfindel
27-05-2007, 18:55
Nice report, I want more! :)