PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts Questions from Newbie

Goldenwolf
04-04-2007, 08:06
Folks,

Just starting VC and after reading several threads have a few questions:

(01). Does anyone ever take a wraith?
(02). What traits do you take as a Blood Dragon?
(03). What traits do you take as a Von Carstein?
(04). Does anyone ever use Bat swarms?
(05). In a 2000 point game, is about 850 points on characters about right?
(06). Is there ever a reason not to use Necromancy as your Lore choice?
(07). Against a gunline is a 40 man zombie unit, 2 deep 20 across ok as a meat shield?
(08). Is invocation of Nehek a must for each spell caster?
(09). Do people ever use the power stones?
(10). Do people ever use the Black Axe of Krell? Sword of Unholy Might? Cursed Book? or Screaming Banner?

Thanking You in advance for any polite responses.[dice0]

Hideous Loon
04-04-2007, 08:25
Woo, many questions...I'll answer the ones I'm familiar with.

2. I usually take Red Fury and Strength of Steel. Not on the same, mind you.
4. Yes, I find that they are a good way to tie up enemy units. And they can fly.
5. Yeah, that sounds about right. In my 2.5k points, I have 825 points, but sure. The VC army stands and falls with its characters.
6. I always take Necromancy. It's wonderful, you can bolster your ranks and move units. What's not good about that?
7. Sounds good, Zombies are meatshields anyway.
8. Depends. I don't think every spellcaster should have it, but more than one should have it.
10. The Cursed Book and the Book of Arkhan are wonderful items. Use them. Often.

EvC
04-04-2007, 12:38
1) Some do, often with a Cursed Book. Most prefer the hitting power of a Wight Lord Battle Standard or an extra Necromancer.
2) More hitting ones!
3) Aura of Dark Majesty and Walking Death on General. WolF Form on a Thrall, paired with Flayed Hauberk is often taken.
4) Nope.
5) It is, as characters are often the mainstay in a VC army.
6) If you've rolled up two Necromancers' spells and don't have a Magic Missile or Curse of Years yet, then go for Lore of death!
7) It's your choice. That's still 250 points, and remember cannons will blast through and hit the things behind them anyway while anything on high ground can shoot over them. Plus if they get charged lack of static combat resolution will hurt.
8) 2/3 should definitely have it.
9) Nah, so many better things to buy for your characters, though using it for a tasty level 3 invocation could be handy if you have spare points. Good idea actually.
10) Cursed Book on a Wraith, but not many of the others for me.

scatterlaser
04-04-2007, 12:43
All based on my experiences (and off the top of my head :)):

Not all that often, but they have their uses. They're best against armies with poor Leadership (Terror) and/or without many magical attacks (Ethereal).

I don't use them myself, but Heart Piercing is pretty cheap and quite good, and it's hard to go wrong with Red Fury. Master Strike is more situational but good at scaring off man-sized enemy characters.

Most often Wolf Form, Walking Death and Aura of Dark Majesty (not all at once or on the same vampire). Summon Wolves can also be nice if you've got the magic item allowance free somewhere.

Once or twice, but not since they started crumbling in 7th Ed.

Doesn't sound too over the top, epecially if a lot of that can cast Invocation.

The main reason would be if you really wanted to guarantee you had at least one magic missile (ie the default Death spell). Probably not that common, though.

(07). Against a gunline is a 40 man zombie unit, 2 deep 20 across ok as a meat shield?
It could work, but you'd have to make sure you didn't get stuck behind it. it also wouldn't help against troops on hills.

I tend to always take it on everybody. It's nearly always useful, and with mages unable to share power dice in 7th Ed, that means everybody should always have something to do with their dice.

Sometimes, but not that often and only if I've got the magic item space free.

(10). Do people ever use the Black Axe of Krell? Sword of Unholy Might? Cursed Book? or Screaming Banner?
The only magic weapon I often use is the Sword of Might. The Cursed Book is very good, and the Screaming Banner's not bad (though admittedly I've never used it).

VampireOfKhorne
04-04-2007, 13:41

Probably. Though, are they worth taking? No, a thrall with the helmet is much more effective as a terror causer.

For my general, red fury, heart piercing, ring of the night and either black periapt, strength of steel or honour or death.

Not Since 7th. Even in 6th they were really bad.

Thats about right.

Not really. Unless its a larger game and you take a second necrarch count with the extend range and extra spell powers.

(07).
Against a gunline is a 40 man zombie unit, 2 deep 20 across ok as a meat shield?

It should be, though most gunliners will either a) set up a hill or 3 in their deployment zone to shoot over them, or b) overguess with cannons until your general fails his look-out-sir, at which point you've lost, regardless of screens. A better choice is to load up on wolves and fell bats to simply take out all the enemy shooting (I take 3x5 wolves and 2x4 bats)

Yes.

In 7th, power stones can be used as the sole source of power for a spell, this makes them very useful as a suprise spell later in the game. (they use their last dice to stop the book of arkhan, only for you to whip out a Pstone)

The cursed book is good, a few of our other items are good. But, for the most part our items suck. All the ones you mentioned are really bad (or exxtremely situational)

oop
04-04-2007, 14:08
1. No. Very rarely.
2. Depends entirely on your army and your oponent's
3. Wolf form is a sweet one...
4. Not usually. May be useful, though
5. It is. Our army rely entirely on them
6. In large games I often field a Lord with the Lore of Death. But all my Necromancers use Necromancy. Always
7. Not IMO. Use your units in the usual way. Just be sure you reach your enemy's gunline quickly. (Fell Bats, Dire wolves, new units...)
8. Yes. Except for the case in point 6
9. Hardly ever
10. The only item i have used of those is the cursed book. and not very often. But if you ever face a poor sportmanship player you can always try your Blood Dragon Lord on Dragon with the Cursed Book.

Just my thoughts...[dice0]

Goldenwolf
05-04-2007, 06:25
Thank You for the responses[dice0]

eleveninches
05-04-2007, 16:13
some do, but i only do in games over 2000 points, unless i drop my banshee to get a wraith in

sword of unholy might, heart piercing, red fury, strength of steel, killing blow. all good :)

rarely ever use them. wolf-form is useless, as a barded mount is better and cheaper.

no.

i usually use closer to 1000 points on charachters. in one 2k army i have, i use zacharias and another necromancer. in another 2k setup i use often, i have a beefed up blood dragon count and 3 tooled-up lv2 necros

no. unless you have 3+ necros and want one of them to have lore of death for tactical flexability. but IMO, mostVC magic users should be primeraly summoners

yup. but dont expect it to survive for long

of course. curse of ages is the 2nd most useful spell and then the dance/movement one or the magic missile one. but since you cant choose, its best to have at least one of your spell slots as neheks invocation

i usually have 2 per 2k army, with the rest of my magic item allowance being taken up by other items.

sword of unholy might. cheap magic weapon, not much more expensive than common magic weapons, and +1 power die each time it kills a model. awesome for my blood dragon count to power up the necros' summoning ability

andy demoe
05-04-2007, 17:26
Folks,

Just starting VC and after reading several threads have a few questions:

Thanking You in advance for any polite responses.[dice0]

how are you doing you should really pay a visit to:
http//z4.invisionfree.com/The_Blood_Keep/index.php (dedicated vampire website)
the web site is a tremendous help for all vampire players (new/vets);)

Goldenwolf
05-04-2007, 22:37
Thank You for the tips